Conquer Club

Tribal War - Ancient Israel v16.1 [2014-05-22] pg23 Quenched

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Tribal War - Ancient Israel v16.1 [2014-05-22] pg23 Quenched

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Image Image Image ImageImage
Map Name: Tribal War - Ancient Israel
Mapmaker(s): Seamus76 & V.J.
Number of Territories: 84
Special Features: Two open War Zones.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: There are no maps of Israel, which no matter what the time period, a map of this region deserves to be made.

"What a fascinating time period for a map, and with simple graphics it's hard not to get sucked into this great one. But watch out, those two War Zones can really pack a punch." says CC Map Reviewer Mas Sue67

Description: "All these are the twelve tribes of Israel" Genesis 49:28
Tribal War- Ancient Israel is based on the division of land to the 12 Tribes of Israel. This map incorporates resource collection (4 weapons), build-a-bonus (Capitals), auto-deploy territories, gameplay from standard CC maps, and continues the Tribal War series style including two "free-for-all" regions.

TERRITORIES

84 territories in total
12 will be Tribe Capitals, and are included in the Tribe Bonus listed below.
6 will be Cities of Refuge, and are included in Cities of Refuge Bonus listed blow.
4 territories will be weapons, and are included in Weapons Bonuses #1 & #2 listed below.
The Dead Sea will include 2 territories, which will be killer neutrals.

BONUSES

Region Bonus = 10 regions in total (bonuses +1 to +6)
Tribe Bonus #1 = Capital Bonus: +2 for every 3 Capitals held
Weapons Bonus #1 = +2 for each Sickle Sword (2 total) (always start +3 neutral)
Weapons Bonus #2 = +2 for each Slingshot (2 total) (always start +3 neutral)
Levite Cities of Refuge Bonus = +1 Auto-deploy on each (6 total; will always start +3 neutral)
Impassables = Seas, Rivers, and Mountains

STARTING POINTS

Currently 69 territories can be starting points (excludes 6 Levite Cities of Refuge territories, 4 Weapon territories, Rimmon (Zebulun), Abdon, Beth Shemesh, Gibeon, Bethshan, and 2 Dead Sea territories which will all be coded neutral. 15 total.)

2 = 14 territories
3 = 14 territories
4 = 14 territories
5 = 8 territories
6 = 8 territories
7 = 8 territories
8 = 8 territories

CURRENT UPDATE INFO - 2013-12-14:
show

CURRENT MAP VERSION:

v16.1 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.

v16.1 - Small (630x600)
Click image to enlarge.

MAP VERSION - v15.0 - Large (840x800) - 888's:
show

MAP VERSION - v15.0 - Small (630x600) - 888's:
show

MAP VERSION - v14.1 - Large (840x800) - Color Blind Tests:
show

OLD MAP VERSIONS:
show

OLD UPDATE INFO:
show
Attachments
israel12.14.13.xml
Final XML as of 2013-12-14
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 1624 times
Last edited by Seamus76 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 am, edited 85 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v1.0

Postby V.J. on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 pm

=D>
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class V.J.

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:48 am

Yes!
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:17 am

[Moved]
OK Seamus, great work so far. You know all the ins and outs of the foundry so will not have to remind you of them.

I know it is a tad early to move you to the drafting room but we are short of maps and need some more.

Please get me territs, names and some starting bonus numbers on the map and you are good to go.

What parts if TW-Florida are you bringing over to this map? Will their be a war zone?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:41 am

This is an awesome Idea. I noticed that you left out the levites. I know they didn't own any land, but I didn't know if you could add them in somewhere. Could you have the cities of refuge be levite cities of refuge? just an idea.
I love the idea with the dead sea being deadly.

"Although Levi was dishonored by being denied territory, the tribe of Levi became the highly honored priestly tribe of Israel. It won this honor because of its reverence for Yahweh during the Exodus."
Sergeant generalhead

Postby BluU on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:42 am

Great Idea

But as far as I know the Bull is the sign of the Tribe of Ephraim. Unicorn is not mentioned in Jewish literature.
The sign of the tribe of Menashe (Menassah in your map) was the Onyx.
Other signs are OK.
(You might find the snake, in some places, as the sign of Dan, and the Sun and Moon as sign of Issachar. But the scale and the Donkey are also commonly used.)

The Levi tribe always had a very important spiritual roll, but no land of its own. When Salomon built the temple in Jerusalem, This tribe was in charge of working the temple. Maybe you could ass them as part of Cities.

Regarding the map layout, the exact layout of some of the tribes is not clear and debated between researchers, but this layout is correct according to some of the maps out there. I understand you made the Jordan river as part of the dead sea for gameplay reasons?
Major BluU

Postby chapcrap on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am

I like the idea. :)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 am

Quick point, this needs to have a name change to Tribal War - Eretz Yisrael. I know this may be semantics but it is a historical map and as you have used the tribal names, the country name should also be used.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 am

A link for the levites city of refuge
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_of_Refuge *

Here is an exert : The classical rabbinical writers regarded all the cities controlled by the Levites as being cities of refuge
The Cities of Refuge were towns in the Kingdom of Israel and Kingdom of Judah in which the perpetrators of manslaughter could claim the right of asylum; outside of these cities, blood vengeance against such perpetrators was allowed by law.[1] The Torah names just six cities as being cities of refuge: Golan, Ramoth, and Bosor, on the east of the Jordan River, and Kedesh, Shechem, and Hebron on the western side.

sorry if you already know this, I am just trying to help. :)
Sergeant generalhead

Postby BluU on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Quick point, this needs to have a name change to Tribal War - Eretz Yisrael. I know this may be semantics but it is a historical map and as you have used the tribal names, the country name should also be used.

The tribal names he used are in English. Some of them are bit different when you write them in Hebrew with Latin characters.

Anyway
Israel Shouldn't be Yisreal! When you write
יש×Øאל
In Latin characters you still write "Israel" It is just different pronunciation than what commonly used in English.
Major BluU

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v2.0 [2012-10-22] pg1

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO-2012-10-22:
Sorry for the delay. Here is the second version of the map which now includes 2 war zones, which was something I was working on, but needed to work some things out in my head before I could put this together. This actually includes many of the changes and suggestions initially offered, so I hope you like it. I have also updated the legends, with the exception of the "Impassables" legend which I am working on.

I really like the idea of two war zones, one on each side, which I think builds on our first map and takes it to a new level of strategy. The plan is to include Warrior names in the war zones, rather than territories, or symbols. This keeps the number of symbols down, and makes the gameplay a little more simple to follow, compared to Tribal War - Florida. It also allows me to use actual city names throughout the rest of the map, rather than using a tribe code or abbreviation system.

If this is a direction everyone likes I'll start work on the impassables and territories. If not I'll go stick my head in the oven...just kidding...maybe. :lol:

CURRENT MAP VERSION:

v2.0 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Seamus, text, for the love of god, change it. It is very hard to read instructions on this map and considering this is the large, imagine the angry mob when you do the small map. :mrgreen: Your having the star of David being the impassable =D> , that may not be a good idea. Try to find something new. ;)

Apart from that, very little for you at the moment.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 pm

by koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:44 pm
Seamus, text, for the love of god, change it. It is very hard to read instructions on this map and considering this is the large, imagine the angry mob when you do the small map. :mrgreen: Your having the star of David being the impassable =D> , that may not be a good idea. Try to find something new. ;)

:lol:

I'll work on the font, I need something along the same lines to keep with the theme but maybe thinner. There must be something else out there, but my initial searches turned this up as the best, but again I see it too and will come up with a solution.

As for the impassables and star of david image, that's funny, it's actually just a background image with the actual river and mountain images going on top (which are still in the works). It just looks weird since there is nothing in there at the moment. I'm actually planning to move that image to the bottom right corner anyway.
ImageImageImage

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm

You looked in dafont I assume.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:02 pm

I did. Found 2 in that style, thought this was actually the more legible. Yikes.

Sefer and Jerusalum
ImageImageImage

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Found one more that might work. I'll give it a shot.
ImageImageImage

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Have another look. When you do though, turn the text to tiny and 50 fonts per page. It comes out just larger than yours. Then find one that looks good at that size and sod the name. I really do not care if it is called Japanese bum rush, I want to read it without surgery. ;)

Seamus76 wrote:Found one more that might work. I'll give it a shot.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. :mrgreen:

Might of overdone the o there.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v2.1 [2012-10-23] pg2

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO-2012-10-23:
- Updated font - I think this is a little more clear, but not sure. Thoughts?
- Added Rivers and Mountains to the Impassable legend. I like how they look there, but no so much on the map, so I am still working on them.

v2.1 - Large (840x800)[/u]
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Postby BluU on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:32 pm

If you want some real warrior names from the book of Judges:
With their tribe they came from

Othniel, Ibzan from the tribe of Judah
Ehud - Benjamin
Deborah (a woman), Ebdon - Ephraim (You can also use Joshua from that tribe)
Barak - Naphtali
Gideon, Jair, Jephthah - Manasseh
Tola - Issachar
Elon - Zebulon
Samson - Dan
Yael (A woman)- Not an Israeli
Shamgar - unknown Israeli Tribe
Major BluU

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 am

Just wanted to add this side conversation I had with BluU, since he has some great info that should be in the thread.

Re: New Map
Sent: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:55 am
by Seamus76
That makes sense. I think changing it to Major City works for me just the same as Capital. Will just have to play with the spacing in the legend. Also by going to Major City it gives a little more freedom like you said to pick ones that fit the game play, like in Judah, Hebron will be the Refuge, but Jerusalem or Gaza could be the Major City.

Also, I was thinking about still including the cities of refuge and the now "major city" in each war zone. That would mean Shechem would be the CoR (city of refuge) for the Western War Zone, and Golan would be for the East. Then each would have a major city as well, like Jerico in the West and not sure about the East.

This is great stuff, thanks so much.

Sent: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:43 am
by BluU
That is correct
The term capital was used more often as the seat of the king. but since the tribes didn't have separate kings, no capital was mentioned... Maybe you should title them Major City instead

Hebron was the center of the tribe of Judah, but it is a city of refuge, so you might have some problem with that duality.
So was Shechem. but you are going to use Manassah are as WZ so that is irrelevant. Samaria btw was a capital in later stage in the bible after Solomon death and the split to two kingdoms.

Gibeon should be the center of Benjamin
Shiloh for Ephraim
Beth Shemesh for Dan
Jabesh Gilad for Gad
Beersheba fro Simeon

For the rest you might as well just pick one the feets your gameplay

Sent: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37 am
by Seamus76
Thanks so much for your help so far, you are going to be invaluable.

I haven't placed the cities of refuge or the "capitals". What are your thoughts actually? I know the six cities, and will place the symbol and name in the territory where it goes, but from what I can tell there were no actual "capitals" for the regions, correct me if I'm wrong. So my thought was to pick a city within each region to designate as a "capital", using the largest most well know one for each.
ImageImageImage

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v2.2 [2012-10-24] pg2

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO-2012-10-24:

I like the direction this is going in. Big props to BluU for his help on this.

- Added a few of the Warriors to the War Zone, as well as some of the territories, cities, and capitals.
- Also starting to like the mountains and rivers, but need a little more input.
- I want to get most if not all of the impassables done before starting to place the regular terts, so I'll be working on that for the next update.
- Will also place the weapons, which will mostly be located in the war zones, and will also try to finish those two sections.

v2.2 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v2.2 [2012-10-24] pg2

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:33 am

Seamus, that text is still bad but it might be because of the shiny background. Gets some texture in their and get the colours reduced some and it should work.

You asked about my mountains on Vertex. Here is how I did them.
Find a V font you like. Turn it upside down.
Layer below. Fill the V shape up with a colour or colours.
Merge the V down with the colour.
Now you can copy and paste this one to where ever you want them.
Make sure you do different ones so they are not all the same.
When you have them in place, reduce opacity to about 60-70%. This will soften the black V shapes.
Select all, increase by 1 pixel and feather by 5, fill the layer below with a colour you like to bring out the colour again.
Layer below. Again, select all, increase by 2, feather by 6 and fill with black. Reduce opacity on all layers till you find the right mix of shadow, solid mountains.

It is a pretty easy way to do mountains without all of the hassle.

But with your ones, some solid colour would be nice. I take it they are brushes? If so, Copy the finished mountians onto a new layer. Increase the size by 200-300%. Fill the layer behind with a colour and reduce the opacity of the mountain brush or set the layer to overlay or grain merge. Then all you need to do is shrink back down.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Tribal War - Ancient Israel v2.3 [2012-10-29] pg2

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm

CURRENT UPDATE INFO-2012-10-29:
I'm still working on quite a few things including:
- Adding texture to the land and water, and possibly working on a coastline.
- Finishing the placement of the Territories, Cities of Refuge and Capitals.
- Other mountains and rivers.
- Bridges need work, these are kind of a placeholder to show where they will go.

Thoughts on:
- Adding weapons to other regions besides the War Zones. This adds more opportunities for bonuses, but limits the larger Territory Bonus, since players might have to kill 1 or more neutrals to gain the overall bonus. My vote is to leave them only in the War Zone.

v2.3 - Large (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImageImage

Postby generalhead on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Is it my eyes or are the colors around the regions on the middle and bottom half of the map a little bright?
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Both. :lol:

I can tone them down.

What else you got?
ImageImageImage

Next

Return to The Atlas