Conquer Club

[GP] Speed Game Time Bank

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GP] Speed Game Time Bank

Postby 72o on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:58 am

Concise description:
  • An extra "bank" of time that can be used in Speed Games when a turn takes longer than the round length.

Specifics/Details:
  • Years ago when I joined, 5 minute speed games were all that we had. When shorter round lengths were suggested, many were in favor, since that sped up the real-time aspect of the game. I have found that shorter round length fixes some concerns, but causes some different problems, especially when playing large escalating games (my favorite), as the short round lengths make it very difficult to plan and execute complex eliminations to clear the map. As such, I no longer play speed games, unless for a guilty pleasure ass-doodle or something, where I leave my fate and my points up to the dice and the drop.
  • Most turns in a game take a few seconds from beginning to end. For those turns, a minute is plenty. However, during the elimination attempt, more time is often needed. Because you will eventually need the time in future rounds, the only current solution is to do 4, or 5 minute rounds, to prepare for that eventuality.
  • Longer round times cause people to become impatient, especially in games with numerous opponents, so people start new games, or get distracted doing whatever it is people do. This causes people to delay taking their turn when their turn is ready, miss turns, make mistakes, not pay attention, etc., which makes these strategy games frustrating.
  • The ideal format would be to have selectable round lengths, as we do now, but with a time bank that can be automatically depleted when a turn is active and the player runs out of time. Maybe a 5 minute bank option, with a Yes/No checkbox in the create game screen. Then, when you need to go over your 1 minute round length, as long as you are playing your turn, it will activate the time bank and begin depleting the 5 minutes. When you end, the depletion stops, and the remaining balance is left over for a future turn. If you deplete the entire bank, you are "out of time" as you are today.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Part of the reason I first got premium was the idea that I could sit down and play a "virtual" game of world domination in real time, which sounds incredibly alluring when you're a freemium. It sounds like it would work the same way it does at your kitchen table - one person ends their turn, another immediately starts playing. In reality, what you get is a group of people all playing 5 different games simultaneously, so when one person ends, the next person takes 2 minutes to start their turn, if at all. People aren't paying attention to the strategy of the game, they're just hopping from window to window to take their turn. This is why most speed games are freestyle 1v1, or Luxembourg assassin with 6 players, or something else that is conducive to very short turns, lots of drop and dice luck, and little to no brain capacity required to plan and strategize your turn.
  • Having short round lengths, and a time bank that only activates if you are already playing your turn, would increase the likelihood that they'll remain on that game, paying attention and ready to take their turn. Many people enjoy playing a half dozen games at once, so this option wouldn't be ideal for them, which is why it will have to be optional. Other people, like myself, prefer to play one game at a time, have it move along quickly, and banter in the chat box with the people I'm playing with.
Sergeant 72o

Re: Speed Game Time Bank

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:18 am

When you make an elimination in a speed game, you get extra time already.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby 72o on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:35 pm

chapcrap wrote:When you make an elimination in a speed game, you get extra time already.

Right, but it is still difficult to get that elimination in the allotted time if the turn is complex.
Sergeant 72o

Postby elonpuckhog on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:28 pm

How about this modification? Instead of a flat time, (ie 5 minutes), we would take the unused time from each round and add it to the next round. So, in a 2 minute game, a person who only takes 30 seconds for their first turn would have 3 1/2 minutes to take their next turn (2 minute round length plus 1 1/2 minute from prior turn). If they finish that turn in 30 seconds, that would give them 5 minutes for their next turn. I don't think this will hold up games any longer than they go now since people will want to bank their turns for the big elimination round (and I am one of those that has run out of time before and it has cost me the game).
I'm not in complete agreement with your idea 72. Suppose someone misses their first turn, which would have included the 5 minute time bank you suggested. Then that person is out of luck for that game. Or do they have to activate the time bank? If someone misses, games would start even more slowly.
I think a combo of your idea and my idea may be the way to go. I'm for it with a few tweaks.
Corporal 1st Class elonpuckhog

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm

I wouldn't want the whole round to carry over. That could get way too large quickly.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby 72o on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 pm

elonpuckhog wrote:How about this modification? Instead of a flat time, (ie 5 minutes), we would take the unused time from each round and add it to the next round. So, in a 2 minute game, a person who only takes 30 seconds for their first turn would have 3 1/2 minutes to take their next turn (2 minute round length plus 1 1/2 minute from prior turn). If they finish that turn in 30 seconds, that would give them 5 minutes for their next turn. I don't think this will hold up games any longer than they go now since people will want to bank their turns for the big elimination round (and I am one of those that has run out of time before and it has cost me the game).
I'm not in complete agreement with your idea 72. Suppose someone misses their first turn, which would have included the 5 minute time bank you suggested. Then that person is out of luck for that game. Or do they have to activate the time bank? If someone misses, games would start even more slowly.
I think a combo of your idea and my idea may be the way to go. I'm for it with a few tweaks.

Time bank would only activate if they were active in their turn before the regular round clock expired, and then only use what they actually use until they end their turn.

So if someone doesn't show up for the first turn, time bank goes unused.
Sergeant 72o

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Actually, when you just described that last time, I liked it.

It's like online poker where you get 60 extra seconds to use at some point throughout the game.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 pm

[Edit: fastposted by chap]

Interesting idea. I played online poker on a site where you had a time bank. It would go up and down depending on how long your turn took. I think you actually had to choose to dip into the time bank. But there would certainly have to be a maximum as there is in 72o's idea, which if I'm reading it right starts at 5 minutes and only goes down. But I also like the idea of having it linked a bit to saved time as it is in elon's idea.

I'm not sure this will ever happen, though. A big reason people play 1 minute games is so that the turns take 1 minute only and no longer. But if it were to happen, I think the best idea would be something that combines elements of both your ideas.
Colonel agentcom

Postby 72o on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 pm

agentcom wrote:[Edit: fastposted by chap]

Interesting idea. I played online poker on a site where you had a time bank. It would go up and down depending on how long your turn took. I think you actually had to choose to dip into the time bank. But there would certainly have to be a maximum as there is in 72o's idea, which if I'm reading it right starts at 5 minutes and only goes down. But I also like the idea of having it linked a bit to saved time as it is in elon's idea.

I'm not sure this will ever happen, though. A big reason people play 1 minute games is so that the turns take 1 minute only and no longer. But if it were to happen, I think the best idea would be something that combines elements of both your ideas.

I don't see it taking anything away from those people and what they like. But as is stands today, a 7 player escalating game on World 2.1 is unplayable as a speed game. I like games like that the best.
Sergeant 72o

Return to Suggestions