Conquer Club

Canada's Conserv Gov Cuts 8 Billion and PM Pension by 72k

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Canada's Conserv Gov Cuts 8 Billion and PM Pension by 72k

Postby Ray Rider on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:19 am

It's not too often you see this kind of thing going on with governments these days, but when you do, it's great to see and worth praising them for it.

New data shows the federal government appears well ahead of course for controlling spending.

The numbers released in the country’s public accounts show Ottawa’s total expenses came in $9.9-billion lower in the fiscal year 2011-12 than was projected in the June 2011 budget.

Program expenses were $8-billion lower — the rest came from a decrease in interest charges to service the debt.

The headline for the report was that the deficit for the year was $26.2-billion.

While higher than Ottawa’s most recent estimate, it was actually $6-billion less than what Finance Minister Jim Flaherty expected when he handed in the budget in June 2011.

Usually politicians are only too happy to spend all they can and buy as many votes as possible, but here there actually spending less on the stimulus than expected and choosing to leave it that way. As a side note, to you Americans and your drunken-sailor-spending-politicians, $8 billion might seem like pocket change; but when you consider that our annual deficit is $26 billion, a savings of $8 billion is a considerable amount.

A small aside to all the above: Mr. Harper included a provision in the new deal that will personally cost him a considerable amount. Prime ministers get an extra pension on top of their MP pensions, which would have paid Mr. Harper an extra $105,000 a year. Under the new rules he would get about $33,000 as of January, a cut of $72,000 a year.

How many times have you heard of a top-paid politician cutting his own pension, especially without any opposition group pushing for him to do so? That was entirely of his own accord, and I say good for him! Btw, this isn't a guy like Obama who's already made his millions and has a large guaranteed income from book deals and speaking engagements. This is a guy who's making the highest income he's ever made right now, and he's willing to take a personal cut to that income in the future.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Re: Canada's Conserv Gov Cuts 8 Billion and PM Pension by 72

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25 am

Yeah, I'm jealous. IIRC, the Canadians did some extensive budget cuts and structural reforms in the late 1990s, and it's paying off.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 am

If we could make some other important changes I might get excited. We need to..
  • increase manufacturing
  • stop letting every other country lease land in the "tar sands" region to take home the oil for less
  • fire up some of those farm towers to grow tropical foods
  • have an identity as Canadians again
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Baron Von PWN on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 am

I agree balanced budgets are good, but how they are achieving the cuts is somewhat worrying.

For instance going from protecting something like 3-4 thousand lakes to protecting 96 (90% of which in conservative ridings, only 3 in Quebec). They've been gutting the Canadian government's involvement in science. They fired a lot of public servants, that's bound to affect the effectiveness of front-line services, however much they claim they aren't cutting front line workers they don't actually have any plan in place to ensure that happens. They just send orders to public service managers saying "cut this much" and don't look further into it (source I live in Ottawa I know a lot of people who work in the federal government).

I agree it was a classy move on the PM's part to cut his personal benefits.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Woodruff on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

Ray Rider wrote:How many times have you heard of a top-paid politician cutting his own pension, especially without any opposition group pushing for him to do so? That was entirely of his own accord, and I say good for him! Btw, this isn't a guy like Obama who's already made his millions and has a large guaranteed income from book deals and speaking engagements. This is a guy who's making the highest income he's ever made right now, and he's willing to take a personal cut to that income in the future.

This is quite impressive, yes.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,