Conquer Club

Star Wars

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Darth Mouse / Star Wars, Disney, and Dreams Come True

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:47 am

So, this isn't a thread about Ronald Reagan?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Bad move by Disney in my opinion. As some have pointed out, the franchise has been thoroughly wrecked by Lucas. I suspect even the hardcore fans are starting to feel suckered. Unless the first new movie is spectacularly well written(rare these days) I don't know how much disney will be able to squeeze out of the works.
As far as lucas being used as a creative consultant I'm sure this is more or less a formality for the benefit of his remaining fans.

I think it is a pretty smart move. They're going to make billions probably on the merchandise alone, since Star Wars is one of the most profitable merchandise franchises out there! And like kids that grew up having the new movies as their favorites, now a newer generation will probably feel similar to any of these new endeavors.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:40 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Bad move by Disney in my opinion. As some have pointed out, the franchise has been thoroughly wrecked by Lucas. I suspect even the hardcore fans are starting to feel suckered. Unless the first new movie is spectacularly well written(rare these days) I don't know how much disney will be able to squeeze out of the works.
As far as lucas being used as a creative consultant I'm sure this is more or less a formality for the benefit of his remaining fans.

I think it is a pretty smart move. They're going to make billions probably on the merchandise alone, since Star Wars is one of the most profitable merchandise franchises out there! And like kids that grew up having the new movies as their favorites, now a newer generation will probably feel similar to any of these new endeavors.

--Andy

Yeah, time will tell and you are probably right. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. ;)
Disney has a lot more marketing knowledge than I do. I forgot about all the little toys and such they sell at Wal-Mart. I was thinking pretty much in the realm of movies but these days that's not where the money is at.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Right, the movies they make are more like hour long marketing programs...think about all the 'Cars' movies or whatever.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Yup- went to see the new James Bond movie last week and half of the adverts before the movie were Skyfall plugs for stuff in the movie- Bond's watch, his car, Murdoch's new James Bond channel, James Bond beer...

Meh.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Symmetry wrote:Yup- went to see the new James Bond movie last week and half of the adverts before the movie were Skyfall plugs for stuff in the movie- Bond's watch, his car, Murdoch's new James Bond channel, James Bond beer...

Meh.

Yeah I hate that about the new Bond movies. :(
I feel like they have castrated the poor guy. One of these films he's going to off himself by driving his Ford Focus off a cliff.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 pm

the movies are going to be shit but like Andy said, they're going to gross a lot regardless. People are going to be so curious they're going to watch.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby 2dimes on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I just don't know. Episode VI was pretty bad. Episode I was a mild improvement but still suffered from suckage. Episode II was so bad I refused to go to episode III but then we bought the DVDs and watched them all. Episode III was actually good and now possibly my favorite.

Disney has made lots of decent movies I'm hopful they will make good on the franchise.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jimboston on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:05 am

Army of GOD wrote:the movies are going to be shit but like Andy said, they're going to gross a lot regardless. People are going to be so curious they're going to watch.

Why do you assume future Star Wars Universe (SWU) movies will "be shit"?

Was Avengers "shit"? Was Toy Story 3 "shit"?

If your answer is yes... then fine... I believe you will think future SWU movies will also "be shit"
Private 1st Class jimboston

Re:

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 am

2dimes wrote:Episode VI was pretty bad.

Are you serious? Episode VI was the best one. That's where Vader redeems himself and the emperor finally gets whats coming to him.
Major tkr4lf

Re:

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:26 am

2dimes wrote:I just don't know. Episode VI was pretty bad. Episode I was a mild improvement but still suffered from suckage. Episode II was so bad I refused to go to episode III but then we bought the DVDs and watched them all. Episode III was actually good and now possibly my favorite.

Disney has made lots of decent movies I'm hopful they will make good on the franchise.

You're on glue.

None of the SW movies was actually "bad". Some are better than others, and Episode II is the weakest in the bunch, but none could be called bad.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Re:

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:25 pm

tkr4lf wrote:
2dimes wrote:Episode VI was pretty bad.

Are you serious? Episode VI was the best one. That's where Vader redeems himself and the emperor finally gets whats coming to him.

I was rooting for the emperor. :(

But seriously, the way he died was so fucking disappointing.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:03 pm

tkr4lf wrote:Are you serious? Episode VI was the best one. That's where Vader redeems himself and the emperor finally gets whats coming to him.

Now I really mean no offense by this but this opinion sounds like it's influenced mainly by fandom. You described what happened in the movie but no mention in regard to how. As a hardcore fan it probably was enough just to see certain things come to play that you had always wanted to see on the big screen but from a non-diehard point of view I found that all of the new movies were more or less terribly done. If you were to have zero preconcieved notions about the new movies and just watched them in and of themselves would you still think they were any good?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Are you serious? Episode VI was the best one. That's where Vader redeems himself and the emperor finally gets whats coming to him.

Now I really mean no offense by this but this opinion sounds like it's influenced mainly by fandom. You described what happened in the movie but no mention in regard to how. As a hardcore fan it probably was enough just to see certain things come to play that you had always wanted to see on the big screen but from a non-diehard point of view I found that all of the new movies were more or less terribly done. If you were to have zero preconcieved notions about the new movies and just watched them in and of themselves would you still think they were any good?

Episode VI was Return of the Jedi dude, it wasn't one of the new movies. I agree with your general assessment though.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Episode VI was Return of the Jedi dude, it wasn't one of the new movies. I agree with your general assessment though.

Ooops. :P
Obviously I don't follow the movies that closely. Out of curiousity, how much involvement did Lucas have in Return of the Jedi?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Ooops. :P
Obviously I don't follow the movies that closely. Out of curiousity, how much involvement did Lucas have in Return of the Jedi?

He wrote it and produced it, but wasn't the director if memory serves.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Yeah Ewoks are really great. Nothing bad about the acting during Anakin's love story either.

:sick:
Corporal 2dimes

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I enjoyed IV, V, and VI. Obviously Empire was the best. I liked Jedi better than New Hope though.

I did not enjoy I and II, but III was as good as Jedi.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby jimboston on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 am

Jedi wasn't the best... but the opening segment, the rescue of Han from Jaba's fortress, was perhaps the best segment from any of the six movies.

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Starwars is good and at the time changed film making for ever. But face it, it's pretty dated.

The Empire Strikes Back was so good it is still a decent movie. the special effects are acceptable and the story is good. Hello?... Yoda!

Return of the Jedi is nice for the kids. Like if Sesame Street had blasters, space ships and light sabers, only not quite as cool. Sorry I give coked out princess in slave outfit a 5. Though I have seen cos play knock offs that approach 10. The end party with those Hollywood purse dogs. Terrible.

Qui Gon Jinn saved episode I. Though he certainly should have smacked Jar Jar Binks around, a lot.

After the opening sequence of Episode II, Anakin Skywalker slowly gets worse until the whining and bad acting spirals into barfarific.

Episode III finally was as good perhaps better than the Empire Strikes Back.

That's my opinion, eat it. I've got to go huff some pam.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Symmetry on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:09 pm

jimboston wrote:Jedi wasn't the best... but the opening segment, the rescue of Han from Jaba's fortress, was perhaps the best segment from any of the six movies.

Aye- that and the bike fight on Endor at the end are stand out moments from the original trilogy.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jimboston on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Symmetry wrote:
jimboston wrote:Jedi wasn't the best... but the opening segment, the rescue of Han from Jaba's fortress, was perhaps the best segment from any of the six movies.

Aye- that and the bike fight on Endor at the end are stand out moments from the original trilogy.

We agree?

Well at least on the opening sequence of Jedi.

The bike fight was cool (especially for it's time)... though it set a precedent that they have tried to copy over and over. It was cool and made for a great game theme... so they copied it in other movies just so they would have good game opportunities.

Postby Symmetry on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm

jimboston wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

We agree?

Well at least on the opening sequence of Jedi.

The bike fight was cool (especially for it's time)... though it set a precedent that they have tried to copy over and over. It was cool and made for a great game theme... so they copied it in other movies just so they would have good game opportunities.

Yup- we agree.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Attila the Fun! on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Sadly, the real next Star Wars might not be any better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyQ6uG6v0KU
--
To honor another's suffering while disagreeing with their arguments is the highest respect.
Private 1st Class Attila the Fun!

Postby nagerous on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Captain nagerous

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,