Conquer Club

The BBS Bet

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Well?

Total votes : 0

The BBS Bet

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 am

1. My Premium Membership is valid until 2013-02-09 22:29:54.
2. I don't like paying for things.
3. Therefore, I propose a bet.

BET:
If you catch me* on the fora** any time before 2013-02-10 (2013, February 10)***, then I will pay for your next ConquerClub premium membership. If you take this bet, yet I fail to appear on the fora, then you must pay for my premium membership (which expires on 2013-02-09 22:29:54). You need to renew it for me--to be very clear.

FINE-LINES:
*This only includes posting. This does not include lurking because there's no way I can verify if a photoshopped photo of "Users browsing this forum: BEEBS" was photoshooped.

**The fora include GD, this place, and any other subforum and subsubforum and whatever other forum. To be clear, the only exceptions are my clan forum, the PM system, and the Walls.

***The bet becomes effective 24 hours from the time of this post. I'll just revisit this when the bet expires to see who took the bet.

More Bets?!

Also, I'll take bets with 4 people total, which is 4 separate bets. The first four to accept the bet will be those Chosen Four. Each bettor must be a unique person--i.e. no multis, and "no, person A cannot make 2 out of 4 bets. One bet per person. And of course, if I win, I get four years of CC. One year for me from each bettor. If I lose, then you four bettors each get one year--paid by BBS, a.k.a. BigBallinStalin.

Presenting evidence:
This should be straight-forward. I post somewhere, and you quote it for posterity, but you need to link it to the original post of mine. (In other words, you can't win by using the [quote] feature in order to make up shit I didn't say , you rotten scoundrels).

Tampering:
All bets are null and void if there has been tampering. I can't predict how one could invent a post by me, or somehow change the original time stamp of a post, but if that happens, then derp the bets are null and void.[1]

[1] If an account sitter of mine logs into my account and makes a post in the fora as BBS, then this counts as a post by me, BigBallinStalin--the person typing this as I type this as I type this, y'herd?

One final note
If CC ceases to exist, i.e. if the forum is dead/I can't post in here because CC is gone/the CC forum is permanently out of service/etc.--then the bets are null and avoid. I would suspect Our Glorious Leader (OGL), El_Jefe, f'ed up big time, but hopefully this does not happen.

What if the premium membership rate changes?
Since the price of a premium membership is currently $25.00, then the bet is the equivalent of $25.00. So, whatever the amount becomes, I or you owe you or me the equivalent of a $25.00 premium membership. For example, assume that the rate changes to $30, and that I lose to only one bettor, you. I then owe the equivalent of $25/$30 toward your premium. That's 83% of one-year premium membership--i.e. 83% of $30. I'm not sure how this can be converted into the premium membership system; however, we can sort this out later. I would definitely owe 83% of a year though. Same applies if you lost the bet and owed me--for example--83% of a year membership (duh).

Will it be adjusted for inflation?
No, you cheeky monkey. You only get the equivalent of a $25 premium membership, as of the time of this post.

What if I don't got the money, man?
"Can I pay you in gold? Or toe-nail clippers? Or some mediocre work of art?" Maybe--depends on the pungency of the toe-nails, but in all seriousness, bets are only paid in CC premium membership. (This is subject to change--depending on that "83% of a one-year membership" ordeal).

One last note
If someone says that they're posting on behalf of BBS/BigBallinStalin, etc., then they're full of it. I'm not authorizing nor will I authorize such posts. The damning evidence has to come from the BBS account itself...

which reminds me...

Hackzored
If someone can crack my password, and makes a post through my account, then derpherp the bets are null and void. In order to ensure that I'm not bullshitting you, the mods already have my usual IPs logged, so they can look for the inconsistency and prove that someone guessed my password. (I'll have a fun password too, guise!)

Risk & Reward:
I'm on this forum frequently, frequently, frequently, and I make a billion posts per day. Do I have the will to not post on here before 2013-02-10 (2013, February 10)? Or will I succumb to my habit? You decide.

Do you dare take the BBS bet?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: The BBS Bet

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 am

If you do, you have to put something in your post along the lines of:

"I have read and understood the bet, the rules, the obligations, blah blah blah, I'm not an asshole"
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Gillipig on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 am

Running out of money are we?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Baron Von PWN on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:31 am

hmmm. I should take this bet then make a multitude of falicious statements as to why libertarianism is dumb and how free markets are the most foolish economic system. I would then propound the benefits of command economies using famous dictators as examples.
Sergeant 1st Class Baron Von PWN

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

This is some silly shit. What if I were to just buy you premium before the bet was up, BBS? Would you conclude that my doing so implies that it would be worth $30 to me to keep you posting during this period? If you concluded that you would be wrong. What might my motivation be then? I'll let you know one thing, it wouldn't fit into any of your fancy models. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

BvP is correct. BBS going through February without posting is like AoG going 4 hours without abusing himself.
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm

saxitoxin wrote:BvP is correct. BBS going through February without posting is like AoG going 4 hours without abusing himself.

Does that mean you accept?
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Gillipig wrote:Running out of money are we?

Don't be silly- he's an expert on economics.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm

There does not appear to be any distinction between the user known as BBS posting as BBS versus posting as a different user.

In other words, if the user known as BBS creates another account (Little Laughing Lenin) and posts with that account, what happens?*

* I sense that this is BBS's nefarious plan, by the way.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby nietzsche on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

nobody take the fucking bet, he's not allowed to go anywhere
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:1. My Premium Membership is valid until 2013-02-09 22:29:54.
2. I don't like paying for things.
3. Therefore, I propose a bet.

BET:
If you catch me* on the fora** any time before 2013-02-10 (2013, February 10)***, then I will pay for your next ConquerClub premium membership. If you take this bet, yet I fail to appear on the fora, then you must pay for my premium membership (which expires on 2013-02-09 22:29:54). You need to renew it for me--to be very clear.

FINE-LINES:
*This only includes posting. This does not include lurking because there's no way I can verify if a photoshopped photo of "Users browsing this forum: BEEBS" was photoshooped.

**The fora include GD, this place, and any other subforum and subsubforum and whatever other forum. To be clear, the only exceptions are my clan forum, the PM system, and the Walls.

***The bet becomes effective 24 hours from the time of this post. I'll just revisit this when the bet expires to see who took the bet.

More Bets?!

Also, I'll take bets with 4 people total, which is 4 separate bets. The first four to accept the bet will be those Chosen Four. Each bettor must be a unique person--i.e. no multis, and "no, person A cannot make 2 out of 4 bets. One bet per person. And of course, if I win, I get four years of CC. One year for me from each bettor. If I lose, then you four bettors each get one year--paid by BBS, a.k.a. BigBallinStalin.

Presenting evidence:
This should be straight-forward. I post somewhere, and you quote it for posterity, but you need to link it to the original post of mine. (In other words, you can't win by using the [q uote] feature in order to make up shit I didn't say , you rotten scoundrels).

Tampering:
All bets are null and void if there has been tampering. I can't predict how one could invent a post by me, or somehow change the original time stamp of a post, but if that happens, then derp the bets are null and void.[1]

[1] If an account sitter of mine logs into my account and makes a post in the fora as BBS, then this counts as a post by me, BigBallinStalin--the person typing this as I type this as I type this, y'herd?

One final note
If CC ceases to exist, i.e. if the forum is dead/I can't post in here because CC is gone/the CC forum is permanently out of service/etc.--then the bets are null and avoid. I would suspect Our Glorious Leader (OGL), El_Jefe, f'ed up big time, but hopefully this does not happen.

What if the premium membership rate changes?
Since the price of a premium membership is currently $25.00, then the bet is the equivalent of $25.00. So, whatever the amount becomes, I or you owe you or me the equivalent of a $25.00 premium membership. For example, assume that the rate changes to $30, and that I lose to only one bettor, you. I then owe the equivalent of $25/$30 toward your premium. That's 83% of one-year premium membership--i.e. 83% of $30. I'm not sure how this can be converted into the premium membership system; however, we can sort this out later. I would definitely owe 83% of a year though. Same applies if you lost the bet and owed me--for example--83% of a year membership (duh).

Will it be adjusted for inflation?
No, you cheeky monkey. You only get the equivalent of a $25 premium membership, as of the time of this post.

What if I don't got the money, man?
"Can I pay you in gold? Or toe-nail clippers? Or some mediocre work of art?" Maybe--depends on the pungency of the toe-nails, but in all seriousness, bets are only paid in CC premium membership. (This is subject to change--depending on that "83% of a one-year membership" ordeal).

One last note
If someone says that they're posting on behalf of BBS/BigBallinStalin, etc., then they're full of it. I'm not authorizing nor will I authorize such posts. The damning evidence has to come from the BBS account itself...

which reminds me...

Hackzored
If someone can crack my password, and makes a post through my account, then derpherp the bets are null and void. In order to ensure that I'm not bullshitting you, the mods already have my usual IPs logged, so they can look for the inconsistency and prove that someone guessed my password. (I'll have a fun password too, guise!)

Risk & Reward:
I'm on this forum frequently, frequently, frequently, and I make a billion posts per day. Do I have the will to not post on here before 2013-02-10 (2013, February 10)? Or will I succumb to my habit? You decide.

Do you dare take the BBS bet?

I'll take the bet, with and only with the following modification: Instead of buying premium membership directly for me, you will upon losing this bet, provide 1 Premium Membership Prize to be offered in one of my tournaments. (Subject of course to all the usual CC rules regarding donated Premium Prizes (https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141692#p2141692).)

I will decide which tournament, although if you have a preference I will strongly consider it. In fact, if you're willing to help promote it, I may even name it after you and design it around your idea of what a good tournament is. May = no guarantee.

I have read the rules and I'm not an asshole.

nietzsche wrote:nobody take the fucking bet, he's not allowed to go anywhere

Don't worry. He won't.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
nietzsche wrote:nobody take the fucking bet, he's not allowed to go anywhere

Don't worry. He won't.

You've got to admit he's been pretty quiet today...
Practicing maybe?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am

Hmm, let's analyze this economically.

If only dukasaur takes the bet, then BBS is effectively trading 4 months of CC forum activity (something which he can get for free) for 12 months of game activity. That's like a 6:1 guaranteed investment.

If Dukasaur loses the bet, he has to buy premium for another player. Since he gets free premium as a mod though, he is really only buying the premium that he would have bought for himself.
If he wins, he gets nothing.

I don't see how this makes sense for Dukasaur.

This is absolute proof that assuming people exercise rational thought is a terrible assumption. Clearly, we need a more paternalistic government, particularly here on CC.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am

Also:

[quote = "Community Guidelines"]
Gambling on or through this site is not allowed.
[/quote]

These 2 need a site vacation.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby nietzsche on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Obviously BBS had already made up his mind that he wanted a break from CC. If he could get something out of it it would be win win.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Also:

[quote = "Community Guidelines"]
Gambling on or through this site is not allowed.

These 2 need a site vacation.[/quote]

Didn't you get demoted or something? I don't remember what you were but from what I can see you are just another player now?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gillipig on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 am

BBS did my sort of thing. Loudly declare your departure to make sure that you can never come back with honour. Unfortunately, I realized honour doesn't mean shit to me. But I was gone for two months I think hehe. Let's see how much honour BBS has.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 am

Gillipig wrote:BBS did my sort of thing. Loudly declare your departure to make sure that you can never come back with honour. Unfortunately, I realized honour doesn't mean shit to me. But I was gone for two months I think hehe. Let's see how much honour BBS has.

BBS was smart enough to realise that honour means shit to him, also. That's why he designed this to motivate himself with greed instead. I gambled that nobody could be so lame as to have fifty bucks make a major difference in their life, but I guess I gambled wrong. The poor in the U.S. must be suffering worse than I imagined.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

BBS treats himself to lunch:

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Gillipig wrote:BBS did my sort of thing. Loudly declare your departure to make sure that you can never come back with honour. Unfortunately, I realized honour doesn't mean shit to me. But I was gone for two months I think hehe. Let's see how much honour BBS has.

Sometimes I wonder if yall read. He said his premium is ending and he is making a bet that he wont post. No where did he say he was leaving the site. He is just trying to finagle a free premium since CC wont renew if for free haha.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if yall read. He said his premium is ending and he is making a bet that he wont post. No where did he say he was leaving the site. He is just trying to finagle a free premium since CC wont renew if for free haha.

Don't worry about it too much, Gillipig is just a troll.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Gillipig on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:28 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if yall think. Why would he make a bet like that if he didn't want to leave the site? 25$ is nothing!

ManBungalow wrote:Don't worry about it too much, Gillipig is just a troll.

Projecting again are we big boy?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby crispybits on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:55 am

I can confirm that he hasnt left the site, and he never said he wouldn't still play games and read forums, he only said he wouldn't post. He could be watching us right now!

Major crispybits

Postby Gillipig on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 am

crispybits wrote:I can confirm that he hasnt left the site, and he never said he wouldn't still play games and read forums, he only said he wouldn't post. He could be watching us right now!

That's not BBS! This is BBS:

Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby crispybits on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 am

I actually always pictured him more like this

Major crispybits

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,