Conquer Club

Carrots and sticks

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Carrots and sticks

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Hopefully my last post, perhaps thankfully for some. Have managed to get down to my last game, OCD withstanding.

I guess the powers that be have a different point of view, but getting beaten by a newbie who spends his first several turns going after neutral, gets a set off 3 cards 3 times in a row, while I lose 7 rolls: 7-2, 5-1, 4-2 to not get the fifth card to finally make a set. Then to have that newbie rate me with three ones, tagging me clueless, etc. isn't the highlight of my day.

Of course, I could limit this luck factor, I can choose my opponents better, settings, etc. I can toast the bread for different lengths and factor in humidity as it relates to slice thickness. But in the end I still prefer waffles, and will leave the perfect toast to those who care.

So where does this leave sexy ol me? I think I reached my current rank 50 games in or so, reached my winning percentage, turns taken percentage, the basic factors of my play were in place around then. The only question that remains is: after eliminating all the other players and leaving the final one without a bonus, few troops and 3 cards, will he cash and take down my big stack and 28 territories with a cash of 35? Yes, yes they will.

After eliminating a player down to one territory with two troops, will 12-2 succeed to suck up his 5 cards and sweep the game? No, no it won't. After that fails and I go through anchorage 17-7 and arrive to attack the same two in Edmonton with 6, will my attack fail and leave them to be snatched by the following player? Yes, yes it will.

Will my teammate deadbeat out? Will I transfer all available troops and then my teammate think that these are 'theirs' and complain about how weak I am? Will i get killed by my teammate bc they weren't paying attention? Yes, yes, yes.

And will we win all those games? Yes, yes we did. The guy who accidentally kills his teammate who has one card while he has an enemy down to two troops right beside him with four cards gets tha same points. The teammate who didn't take a single turn wins 56 points and gets a promotion. And I get the tag of complainer, bad teammate etc.

Life isn't fair, don't take it personally.

That's so nice of you to say. I really hadn't known that. What I do know is that I do take my turns, I don't attack my teammates or neutral, I rate fairly and give my best.

To the point: what's the difference?

Crusoesw8 sabotage
Turns %. 92 99
Rating. 3.8. 4.7
Game slots. 4. 4
Joinability. Same. Same
Total games. 381 3598
Total posts. 0 38
Total medals. 4 23
Winning %. 18. 50
Points. 1450. 1442
Other. None. None

What I see in this comparison is opportunity for CC to develop incentive programs linked to the betterment of the site. Which type of play would the site like to encourage? Active players who keep games flowing, post and keep the site active, easier to be found on search engines or deadbeaters who insult those who are trying to be fair?

I don't know the player I've compared myself to, but I've been a member 20% as long as him and played 10 times the games, and so forth with the activity.

What does 50 times the activity leave me with? I can join the same games as he can I can join the same number of games, I can post in the same places, leave the same rating and have a 50% chance to beat him heads up. Or I should say an 80% chance during certain periods and 20% during others depending on luck streaks.

After 3598 games, what am I left with? After $35 and excessively verbose posts, what achievement beyond outmedaling my 8 point superior fellow player?

What do I have to fight for? If I played 10000 more games as I have, learned to be a gentleman and a frequent and helpful/provocative poster, where would I stand differently from now?

If I had 7 multis, deadbeat all games and shat all over the rating system, baited and trolled in the forums, the site may actually reward me with their only incentive program: points.

By not moving forward, the site falls behind. I don't mind the 35 and would have been happy to pay more. As is, I'm not. I can't have my username bc it was taken 5 years ago by someone who deadbeat a few games and never returned. I have nothing to gain except medals. I don't get any joy from the final sweep of an opponent I've utterly crushed after dropping 800 points in 100 games, many of which seemed without doubt that I would win until that final sweep was stopped dead by two troops. Now that sweep is one of dread either ending in relief or misery. The more ridiculuos the loss, the lower the rating I receive.

Dread -> luck -> relief -> feel bad for the other guy
Dread -> bad luck -> misery -> receive bad rating -> rage -> lengthy post -> equanimity -> upset that I'm no longer upset -> no more money to CC -> CC further declines -> do I say good bye or wait until doors are locked -> =;
Captain _sabotage_

Re: Carrots and sticks

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:38 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:What does 50 times the activity leave me with? I can join the same games as he can I can join the same number of games, I can post in the same places, leave the same rating and have a 50% chance to beat him heads up.

Are you suggesting that CC should give you seniority in these areas?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Is there a game that doesn't? If we began playing chess with equal skill, and then I played 50 times more than you, I spent time studying tactics and strategies while you didn't and played 50 times the players and styles, I think our chances might reflect it.

My teammate deadbeat out of a 8 player doubles fog game and received points, stats, perhaps even positive ratings. And he can login and join another with his artificially augmented rank to boot.

I know that Wilt scored 100 points in a game. Well done, I don't then ignore Jordan's entire career bc those 100 points are the only thing I focus on. Games have multiple areas for acclaim and severe measures for poor or foul play. Without these there are no triumphs or failures.

And like kissing a boot, leaves a bland taste in my mouth.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Is there a game that doesn't? If we began playing chess with equal skill, and then I played 50 times more than you, I spent time studying tactics and strategies while you didn't and played 50 times the players and styles, I think our chances might reflect it.

Unlike chess I think the level of skill you can attain in risk plateaus a lot sooner. Therefore dice are going to affect the curve a lot more and on an even playing field most players will fall about where you are.

_sabotage_ wrote:My teammate deadbeat out of a 8 player doubles fog game and received points, stats, perhaps even positive ratings. And he can login and join another with his artificially augmented rank to boot.

I agree that deadbeaters don't deserve points but if they didn't, people would just take advantage of this.

_sabotage_ wrote: Games have multiple areas for acclaim and severe measures for poor or foul play. Without these there are no triumphs or failures.

Can you think of any suggestions that might help in this regard?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby _sabotage_ on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Mission statement

CC strives to provide a rich, dynamic, strategic online gaming experience to those able to commit a few minutes of their day.

What parts of the games are strategies? What are some distinct playing styles? What are some hardline restrictions and softline restrictions want to embed into the make up? What rules will streamline resources and best aid utopic outcome: people like it when they come and regularly come back.

There isn't a single winner at pokerstars, or at least that's the general hope, but here one name resides above our static board.

Can we add 19000 red dots on a google map to represent each member on a map? Could we make it so that we had to fight for those spots, and instead of medals, the current "main" games become side games to the central map for acquiring tools? We can also incorporate live time of attack and weather. so when it snows we need to have acquired our snow gear by defeating xx unique players on a cold map or suffer by receiving less troops when attacked during snow. groups could form with gatekeepers. If people want to invade they need to beat the keepers defensive map and players. The defenders can fill up to half the map. The challenger can fill up the other half. it could be 3 against 1 or 12 against 11. This would force players to fight and be active. Once a district has been breached, the invader can loot and flee or challenge the group members on their smaller maps. If a player deadbeats, then the other can choose to execute the player, which would take away all of his equipment or attack as usual, no troops deferred which would allow him to loot the area or further conquer it. In a team game, if a player deadbeats the team should collectively miss a turn.

I think this would make interesting strategic arrangements. Multiple groups of strong players, and more streamline. An inactive player would return to having a single territory bc of all the looting and hits by the weather, whereas a regular player would be stronger for war. He would have to battle back to place or be eliminated.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:26 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Mission statement

CC strives to provide a rich, dynamic, strategic online gaming experience to those able to commit a few minutes of their day.

What parts of the games are strategies? What are some distinct playing styles? What are some hardline restrictions and softline restrictions want to embed into the make up? What rules will streamline resources and best aid utopic outcome: people like it when they come and regularly come back.

There isn't a single winner at pokerstars, or at least that's the general hope, but here one name resides above our static board.

Can we add 19000 red dots on a google map to represent each member on a map? Could we make it so that we had to fight for those spots, and instead of medals, the current "main" games become side games to the central map for acquiring tools? We can also incorporate live time of attack and weather. so when it snows we need to have acquired our snow gear by defeating xx unique players on a cold map or suffer by receiving less troops when attacked during snow. groups could form with gatekeepers. If people want to invade they need to beat the keepers defensive map and players. The defenders can fill up to half the map. The challenger can fill up the other half. it could be 3 against 1 or 12 against 11. This would force players to fight and be active. Once a district has been breached, the invader can loot and flee or challenge the group members on their smaller maps. If a player deadbeats, then the other can choose to execute the player, which would take away all of his equipment or attack as usual, no troops deferred which would allow him to loot the area or further conquer it. In a team game, if a player deadbeats the team should collectively miss a turn.

I think this would make interesting strategic arrangements. Multiple groups of strong players, and more streamline. An inactive player would return to having a single territory bc of all the looting and hits by the weather, whereas a regular player would be stronger for war. He would have to battle back to place or be eliminated.

Dude, if you want to try and make these things happen now is the perfect time to try as the new management is going to be looking for ways to improve the site/increase revenue. I think some of these ideas are very cool, you should stay awhile and make some suggestions in the suggestions forum.

Cheers,
FT
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Arama86n on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:20 am

Rank is mostly game selection in my opinion, and yours is poor if you want to go up in rank. 1v1's on simple maps against opponents that are generally lower ranked than you isn't going to get you anywhere. Even if you could win 75% of the games, it wouldn't make a difference if your average opponent is a Private and you are a Sgt 1st class.
The 4p esc games you play also attract really low ranked clientell, that also have a tendency to do stupid and unpredictable things.

What you need to do is play team games, much more fun AND profitable. Find a good partner, meditate over turn-order before every move and you will hit Major in no time at all.

Settings is another thing you need to reconsider, but it's 6.22am and I need breakfast before work so.. enough said. Dice and drop are what they are, live with it, learn to like it, or play chess!!

Good luck
Major Arama86n

Postby x-raider on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
_sabotage_ wrote:Mission statement

Dude, if you want to try and make these things happen now is the perfect time to try as the new management is going to be looking for ways to improve the site/increase revenue. I think some of these ideas are very cool, you should stay awhile and make some suggestions in the suggestions forum.

Cheers,
FT

I support this all the way. Not the suggestion, because none has been made so far.
But the suggestion to make a suggestion.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby ZeekLTK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:47 pm

It seems like you'd prefer some kind of large scale tournament to play in - maybe where the rules were setup so that successful players got to do "extra" things that others don't (your carrot). Especially because I don't think a lot of those suggestions are feasible for the site overall, but a lot of it could probably be done in a specific tournament.

If there isn't a tournament out there already like this, seems like a good time to create it yourself.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK

Postby Symmetry on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:10 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:Hopefully my last post

Agreed
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Conquer Club Discussion