Conquer Club

Map Foundry Gallery

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Foundry Gallery

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 am

greenoaks wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:someone recently wanted to run a tournament on maps where everyone started with 8 terits. i had to view each and every map to create a list. so for me i would like to see total terits and starting terits. maybe a yes/no for special features. if the map's name was a hyperlink it would be easy to flick to the map for an indepth look at the special gameplay

So a multi-selection page where you set some things and then the result is displayed as a list. So a sort of gamefinder page but about maps instead of games...
It was good to ask because I thought you wanted something different. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I need to make a couple of changes (or better add a couple of things) but it seems feasible.

actually i did want something different. with the other way i could hit the sort button for the relevant field's title and scroll down.

i don't mind which way, i was just pointing out how time consuming it currently is to get that info. i'm a spreadsheet guy so i understand a large table with the ability to sort alpha/numerical on the columns.

for home i'd create a spreadsheet with Map Name, Total Terits, Starting Terits for 1v1, 2 player, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Special features. that's 10 columns. the first row has the titles and is scroll locked so no matter how far down i scroll i'll see the name of the column. the 2nd thing i'd do is create a macro button the exact size of the cell containing the heading Map Name which sits on top of that cell. when i push that button it will sort the table alphabetically by map name. similar buttons would sit on the other headings allowing the spreadsheet to be sorted by their respective columns.

it is fairly easy for me to do that but then its not accessable to anyone else and it doesn't have your awesome graphics - macro buttons are all grey.

as i said either way is good. whichever way you think adds the most functionality to the map gallery.

This can be done. It works a bit different than an excel spreadsheet but the final result could be similar.

greenoaks wrote:the other thing i thought could be in it would be a description of the map

maps like Classic, Germany, France, Middle East would be called Regular, Basic or some such name. other names could be Moderate, Complex.

i think that would be handy for TO's and players.

This a gray area. I mean, if it's simple to define a basic map, when it comes to moderate or complex is not so simple to create a tag system that fits for everyone. From a coding point of view it's just add so np, the issue is the criteria to use .... :-k
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 am

i thought i'd mention it because a maps gallery that contains information about a map might be a good place to go for information about whether a map is simple, risk-like or is chock full of winning and losing conditions, killer neutrals and decay. and if you were able to do so and and lack is serious about integrating your gallery into his site then .......... muhahaha O:)
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 am

thenobodies80 wrote:...
This a gray area. I mean, if it's simple to define a basic map, when it comes to moderate or complex is not so simple to create a tag system that fits for everyone. From a coding point of view it's just add so np, the issue is the criteria to use .... :-k

And that has always been a subjective challenge...there was great discussion some years back when Coleman and I were mods in the foundry, and yes the challenge was that everyone had differing views including mapmakers on what was moderate or complex.

A suggestion might be to have all "classic" maps with no frills xmls as "basic", and then two more groups defined by the xml types as fitting into the moderate or complex groups.
e.g. ranged attacked, one-way borders, starting positions bombardments etc as moderate
and somethings like killer neutrals, buildings, etc as complex

Just suggestions. :) There is a thread around somewhere that had this started by Coleman
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=36514&start=0
Hehe...there's some interesting topics discussed all the way back to 2007 -> is the foundry dying...seems like that one's been around forever and get rehashed every so often :) ...some as with map sizes. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Ffraid on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am

cairnswk wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:...

And that has always been a subjective challenge...there was great discussion some years back when Coleman and I were mods in the foundry, and yes the challenge was that everyone had differing views including mapmakers on what was moderate or complex.

A suggestion might be to have all "classic" maps with no frills xmls as "basic", and then two more groups defined by the xml types as fitting into the moderate or complex groups.
e.g. ranged attacked, one-way borders, starting positions bombardments etc as moderate
and somethings like killer neutrals, buildings, etc as complex

Well, if you want to avoid any subjectivity (thereby avoiding debate and, consequently, delay) you could just have two categories. Basic for no frills XML and everything else is not basic. "Not basic", obviously, not being a great name for the category but you get what I mean. While I don't think anyone would consider one-way borders "advanced", you're right, they're not absolutely no frills XML, which is a clear, objective, dividing line.

I don't really know, but I would imagine that the subjectivity of attempting to define what is merely moderate and what is complex is least a part of why there has never been any map categorization. And it sounds like a Gallery update is coming soon so, if you want any kind of category system in there, it may be best just to simplify for now. If, that is, you think that even a simple system is better than no system at all.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 am

i like the idea of Regular/Basic or some other 'tag' that defines maps with no xml features whatsoever.

i would like to propose a list of xml features is made and those features are rated. something like decay might be a point whereas not holding a certain terit and being eliminated might be worth 3 and a killer neutral might be a 2. my basic reasoning is losing 1 on a terit (decay) is minor so 1 point, losing lots on a terit (killer neutral) is 2 points, losing the game is a major feature (losing condition) therefore 3 points. there could be additional points for multiple features of the same type such as 2 different ways to win (AYBABTU).

the xml features of a map can then be tallied and the map rated based on the overall score. rating of the maps could be done in 3 broad categories such as Basic/Moderate/Complex or more like school reports where you get a Basic+ (B+) so it is a basic map with some minor Decay but not enough to rate as a Moderate map.

is anyone interested in such a discussion?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby ender516 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am

It would be nice to see all the feature tags that chipv had on his map database. Such a shame, all that information was there and now it's no longer available, except perhaps via the Wayback Machine (Internet archive).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:28 pm

I have to discuss with lackattack a couple of things before to proceed further. I'll keep you all updated. ;)

Postby Ffraid on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Oh, btw, if you're doing some sort of "click to sort" type of thing, I'm interested in the number of the map, so that we can sort oldest to newest or vice versa. E.g. Classic is #1, World 2.1 is #27, etc. I have no idea if anyone else is interested in that info or not, but if I am then there are probably others, and if it's just a matter of adding another sortable column.... :D

Normally, I hate asking people for stuff, but you did ask what we would like to see! :) On the other hand, if everyone else thinks it's a horrible idea, I won't be insulted or anything. I really appreciate all the work you've put into this valuable resource, nobodies.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby ender516 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Good news! There are Wayback Machine entries for the old Map and Mapmakers Database. This is the most recent:
http://web.archive.org/web/201006280043 ... ostia.com/
It may be incomplete (unfortunately, you cannot see the explanatory text for the tags used on the maps, and it only has 155 maps) but it shows a lot of information that would be useful if more easily available.
Some of that explanatory text might be recoverable from the forum topic that used to be around here concerning the Map and Mapmakers Database, but it seems to have been deleted or at least moved somewhere less obvious.

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 am

I'm aware about those data.
For now guys be patient, a bit of time is needed to do some things and discuss with the turtle.

In the meawhile I've changed the link in the first post and into the gallery as well, so now you can see an improved version of the gallery with some work I did in the past month.

In case you are lazy guys here the link for the Maps Gallery :mrgreen:

There're more info (thanks for the suggestions given) since the first launch and a lighter structure for those who don't have a powerful internet connections.

Enjoy this for now, and stay tuned. More good news soon...;)

Nobodies

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Rail Asia in the Gallery still has BETA ribbon on it, as does Salem's Switch

Waterloo Images need updating, as does Rail Europe.

Map 32: Classic Cities: Sydney
All cairnswk
Territories 72
Starting Neutrals 6
Gameplay: Starting Neutrals, Impassables, Ranged attacks
Description: One of Classic Cities maps, Sydney is a sister map for Sydney Metro with similar freeway design as impassable. Based on classic style gameplay, it has well-designed gameplay that goes to lengthy games and should be an easy map for the novice. It features the greater regions of Sydney from the Blue Mountains to both northern and southern National Parks on the coast.
2P 22
3P 22
4P 16
5P 13
6P 11
7P 9
8P 8

Map 33: Classic Cities: Pot Mosbi
Map: cairnswk Gameplay: Victor Sullivan Graphics: cairnswk XML: nolefan5311
Territories: 104
Starting Neutrals: 12
Special Features:Ranged attacks, starting neutrals, killer neutrals, impassables, losing condition.
Description: PNG still has an ancient culture. Pot Mosbi is based on the Tok Pisin language native to the area. 8 tribes arrive in Pot Mosbi to participate in a Sing-Sing. The local natives are wary that tribal wars might break out and one tribe try to take over. Will your tribe survive?
2P 30
3P 30
4P 23
5P 18
6P 15
7P 13
8P 11

Map 34 New Zealand
Map, GFX, XML: All cairnswk
Territories 73
Starting Neutrals 16
Special Features: Ranged attacks, Starting Neutrals, impassables
Descirption: NZ is a great place to visit and live with a fantastic combination of Māori and English culture. Plenty of flights to get around and see everything. Experience the Māori culture by receiving favours from the Tiki. Conquer the whole country and you get to be Māori Monarch.
2P 19
3P 19
4P 14
5P 11
6P 9
7P 8
8P 7
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Spelling note for Map 32: Blue "Mountains", not "Moutains".

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 am

Just to let you know I was asked to not update my gallery anymore because it will be implemented here at some point.

All the descriptions that will be posted here will be added by me to the CC map database only.
The database is the "hidden" part of the gallery so any info you can post here will be useful, even if you won't see them appear on my own gallery. ;)

Postby agentcom on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Awesome!
Brigadier agentcom

Postby macbone on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Nobodies, I'd love to have the option to sort by user rating, so I could see which maps have been rated highest in gameplay, enjoyment, etc.
Colonel macbone

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 am

Not sure if you care but I'm going to apply some major changes to the gallery so it won't be available for a couple of days. I'll post more info very soon! :)
Nobodies

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:30 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Not sure if you care but I'm going to apply some major changes to the gallery so it won't be available for a couple of days. I'll post more info very soon! :)
Nobodies

New info yet?!
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby chapcrap on Sun May 22, 2016 8:11 am

Tried to follow the links in the OP to the gallery index, but they aren't right. Is the index still a thing? Is the gallery still a thing?

thenobodies80 wrote:Hello everyone,

As you will certainly have noticed in the recent weeks I have been a bit less active on the site, this because I've spent most of my free time to produce something that I hope you find enjoyable and useful.

It's with a great plasure that I'm proud to announce the

The site is divided in two separated, but also connected, parts.

The first part is the Gallery Index:

Into the Maps Gallery you can select any maps that is currently available on the ConquerClub site and, doing this, read some details:
  • Release Date/Revamp Date
  • Mapmakers
  • Map description
  • Map Features
  • Starting Neutrals
  • Starting Territories for games from 2 to 8 players
Additionally, you can also rate the maps. To do that click the rate button in the page.

All map images are displyed in 3 different ways: with thumbnails, a medium size preview and a full size showcase.

Let me say that the gallery page is not done for too small screens, so if you have a 1024x768 resolution you need to scroll the page to read all the contents.
At the moment the gallery still miss some info, I'll do my best to fill them in the near future with the time I have. Obviously If someone is willing to help me to fill the missing data, just throw me a pm! O:)

The second part is the Rating Index :

With the rating index (more suitable for small monitors) you can decide to rate a map or, if you are a mapmaker, see what other people think about a map.
There are 4 categories that you can rate:

• Graphics
  • Gameplay
  • Complexity
  • Enjoyment

Rate can be given with a value from 1 to 5, where 1 is the lower value in the scale. For complexity, look at the Classic Map if you want a parameter to start with. (it can't be rated for this category and its standard value is set to 2 stars)
The rating system is coded to not allow multiple votes, so for a map you can give one vote for each category. Once you have given your vote, you can't change it anymore. So, be careful in making your choice! From time to time (probably every 6 months) I will allow people to resubmit the votes, but in any case I will not delete votes under request.

If you want to browse the rating section, use the dropdown menu at the top of the page.

--------------------------------

If you need more datails or if you get lost using the site (I don't think, but who knows?) I've added also a FAQ section in which you can find some info that should put you back on track.

I hope you enjoy the Gallery and the Rating pages, it took some time to code it, I hope you like the result and that effort spent is worth it!
In case you are experiencing problems or if you have suggestions, don't be afraid to send me a pm! ;)

Finally, with the occasion I would like to thank isaiah40 for the suggestion given. And last, but surely not the least, a very very very special thank you! goes to Dako, who helped me a lot with this project!

Now, feel free to use the site, enjoy it!I hope you'll find it a nice replacement of the, now lost, chipv's map database and I hope that this site could help people to know a bit more about the maps done on Conquer Club and their details. The gallery want to be a place where people can really look at the maps and understand how much the mapmaking community is important for the life of the Conquer Club website! Like I always say, mapmakers and their maps are the true heart of CC!

CC Foundry Maps Gallery

Nobodies
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Ffraid on Sun May 22, 2016 5:05 pm

chapcrap wrote:Tried to follow the links in the OP to the gallery index, but they aren't right. Is the index still a thing? Is the gallery still a thing?

I don't think thenobodies80 is active on the site anymore and, so, may have deleted this? It's kind of become a part of the site though. Just click on the "Maps" link at the top of the page. There is a slideshow tab and a statistics tab.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby isaiah40 on Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Ffraid wrote:
chapcrap wrote:Tried to follow the links in the OP to the gallery index, but they aren't right. Is the index still a thing? Is the gallery still a thing?

I don't think thenobodies80 is active on the site anymore and, so, may have deleted this? It's kind of become a part of the site though. Just click on the "Maps" link at the top of the page. There is a slideshow tab and a statistics tab.

Nope, he deleted it a couple of years ago. You won't see BW doing anything like this at any time in the near and very very very far future!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby chapcrap on Sun May 22, 2016 11:02 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
Ffraid wrote:

Nope, he deleted it a couple of years ago. You won't see BW doing anything like this at any time in the near and very very very far future!

Maybe we should get someone to edit the OP then... Or move the thread... Or something...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby IcePack on Sun May 22, 2016 11:34 pm

chapcrap wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
Ffraid wrote:

Maybe we should get someone to edit the OP then... Or move the thread... Or something...

If the information was collected and presented to BW, he usually is pretty good about doing updates that Teams (Cartographers / other Teams) ask for.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Previous

Return to The Atlas