Conquer Club

The Official Clan Sitting Rules (Old Version)

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Official Clan Sitting Rules

Postby JCR on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:20 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Seriously though, if you are griping that the rules are too strict what is it that you are so aggravated by/fearful of? Missing turns lolz? This, of all things, is what you choose to rail against??? We are talking about the very real possibility of players GAINING AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE DURING CLAN WARS. Why in the world would anyone object to changes attempting to prevent this sort of thing from happening?
I can think of one reason...

I can think of another.
that there is now another layer of rules (1 hr, notify clan director)that will not be able to be enforced unless someone comes up with an arbitrary amount of evidence that may or may not be true and may or may not be penalized. this is simply going to lead to some clans digging for "proof" every time they lose in order to nullify the loss. Or simply to screw with their "enemies"
Major JCR

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:37 am

JCR wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:Seriously though, if you are griping that the rules are too strict what is it that you are so aggravated by/fearful of? Missing turns lolz? This, of all things, is what you choose to rail against??? We are talking about the very real possibility of players GAINING AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE DURING CLAN WARS. Why in the world would anyone object to changes attempting to prevent this sort of thing from happening?

I can think of another.
that there is now another layer of rules (1 hr, notify clan director)that will not be able to be enforced unless someone comes up with an arbitrary amount of evidence that may or may not be true and may or may not be penalized. this is simply going to lead to some clans digging for "proof" every time they lose in order to nullify the loss. Or simply to screw with their "enemies"

Honestly, I can appreciate your point. However, you have to admit that they had to draw the line somewhere. More time would obviously be more convenient but this just widens the doorway for abuse. It's a shame it has come to this but some serious housecleaning seems to be in order and I vote we use clorox. It appears I have to settle for Lysol but frankly, I'll take what I can get. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:32 am

codeblue1018 wrote:Just continue sitting as you normally would and quit worrying about these "new" rules. These are what my clan and probably most clans have been following for quite sometime. There would be no reason to take a turn beyond one hour anyway; the purpose of this is to take a turn for another member in the event of a miss. Instead of implementing all sorts of things that a lot of people will have a problem with; make it simple-increase the time per turn in clan games; instead of 24 hrs, make it 48 hrs. It will solve prolly 99% of sitting concerns.

Code is right. Most all clans will have no problems at all with this. As far as increasing time in games. That is not going to happen at this point.

shoop76 wrote:We recently had a clan member moving house and he really didn't know when he could cover turns. Sometimes he could and sometimes he couldn't so he would send out a quick PM.

By the new rules he could get a sitter, but not take his own turns if he had time.
If his time went below 1 hour we couldn't take it because it wouldn't be considered an emergency.

Also, some clans are really close knit and have each others phone number, emails, etc. Some clans are not. This would put the latter in a big disadvantage. Could be kind of weird giving out phone numbers to somebody you don't even know.

Also, this requires members to share passwords. This is illegal in cc. If you need a sitter you are required to change your password for the duration you are gone and then change it again when you come back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So in a case like this it is best if the player just ask for a sitter for the full time while moving. He can then take back over when he has full time. As far as sharing passwords, most all people on CC let someone else know their password. Especially clan people. These people have your password for those what if moments.

L M S wrote:NO WAY to increasing the time for turns. If you cant take a turn in 24 hours....c'mon people. The CC3 for example is already months behind schedule, if we had 48 hr turns...holy hell the thing would last 18 months. No way.
Its like Bruce said, (I'm paraphrasing here) sometime you might have to go for it...if you can't be trusted to take one turn on your own because of time constraints then you shouldn't be in a clan game anyway. This is the real problem, we all wait until the last friggin minute to take a turn so everyone and their mother can get a word in, starting now this practice of waiting until the last minute cant always be. 24 hours people!
Nice job on the rules guys.

If you give people 48 hours they will still wait till the last second to take a turn. Nothing will change. As I said there are those times you just gotta make the best play possible and go with it. Not every time can "everybody and their mother" take a look at your turn and give advice.

denominator wrote:Personally, I don't see what the big deal is here. Most clans I have interacted with have all followed these rules already, with the possible exception of the new 1-hour rule. It really comes down to one thing - only you should be taking your turns.

My one issue is that this rule:

Nicky15 wrote:2, Emergency cover may only be given if the person really is in danger of missing a turn. Therefore a turn can only be covered if there is an hour or less left on the clock. But steps must be taken to contact the player before hand.

contradicts this rule:

Nicky15 wrote:5, You must also not give permission for anyone to wander in and out of your account at their will. Take care of your account. What happens with it is your responsibility.

How are we expected to cover a clanmate's turn in emergency situations (following the 1-hour rule) if we do not know their password ahead of time?

Also, it seems to me that players are taking the word "vacation" too literally. I believe that "vacation" is a stand-in word for "excusable absence from the site for a foreseeable period of time".

Just because someone has your password does not mean they can just go into your account anytime they want. This should only be for emergency use. Vacation is sometimes a blanket statement for things like, work trip, moving, or something else that requires you to be away from the PC.

TheMissionary wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

IcePack wrote:
TheMissionary wrote:I disagree with 1 hour. Sometimes i get into a project and will not make it home in time to play, so I text a clan member and ask them to cover up until a certain time. If that time gets close to passing I'll do the same process again.

I think that something like this should have been considered as well, instead of that person having to stay on for 8 hours waiting for each individual game getting down to an hour, being able to cover the expected delay or problem time frame until you expect to be able to get back on.

As of right now the 1 hour rule will stand. If we see this is causing too many problems it can be relooked at. In response to Missionary, do not put yourself in a situation where that comes up. Plan ahead of time. Do not rely on your teammates to cover for you, but rather take the turns yourself. Sure life happens but as it stands in the case as you described your clan mates will have to wait till the last hour to take those turns. How do we as CD's know you will be out till time X? That opens up room for people to lie.

So if I am not breaking any rules on CC, why should I have to abide by the clan areas individual rules? This came up because there was a question of honor about sitting techniques of another player/s. Never once have I or any of my clan members attempted to abuse this system. Why should the rest of us have to follow a makeshift rule, just because someone else did? I'm not going to run my life around CC. I have lots of things to do sometimes, I can't always plan my time better for a game. Sorry, I am not breaking any rules, so I will continue with what works best for me and the people I play with. I don't think any of you have the right to tell any of us how to manage our own time. If rules are being broken, deal with the individuals, don't place restrictions on the rest of us who do not abuse the system. I am not flaming anyone, I am just expressing myself.

We are looking into situations like yours, but for now the one hour rule stands. While you might be honest and really need to be covered till time X others will just jump in and take turns for people who could have made it back for fear they might miss.

Finsfleet wrote:This site is online for years now. There`s simply no excuse for not having account sitting functionality covered by the application. Forcing users to share their passwords is ridiculous.

I will not conform to this rule. I will not inform anyone in advance when I leave, except the people that are supposed to sit for me. And if I`m banned for this, or one of my sitters, I`ll stop playing the game.

Do not bother answering to this post, because I will not be back to read the answer.

We do not have a sitting feature at this time. It was on Lack's to do list, but never made it out. With that being said you share your password with someone you trust. I assume your clan mates are your friends so I am sure you will let them know when you are away from your computer for any amount of time.

SaMejoHn wrote:many of you have huge sticks up your asses...just relax, and play. so what if a clan wants their best player to take turns, if that's what's going on, it is a clan vs. clan war and he's a member. People pay for this site! I'm not currently in a clan but I would like to join one soon but all this micro managing is too much. How can people with no real authority (IMO) tell a paying member that he cant enjoy what other members enjoy simply because he has a life on saturday and sunday. Some of you take this too serious, but at what point does it become taking it too serious?

Site rules state that players must not sit for each other to gain advantage. That has been from day 1 till now. Clans are about team work and showing your own skills. Nobody wants to be a puppet to someone else. They surely want to show they can play this game also.

eddie2 wrote:I am 100 percent behind these rules being brought out and have just caught up with this thread but had no time to read it all. So i am sorry if i am posting things already been discussed.

lets start with the first section,

1, The announcing in chat, of the name of the person who has covered a turn will now be mandatory.

this rule is fair enough, but i think you could add that a post in the open challenge thread from the account owner or sitter will be allowed as long as they say when the sitting ends. like me i often sit for a player and forget to post but ips will tell and if a player forgets it will cause a report for a simple mistake.

2, Emergency cover may only be given if the person really is in danger of missing a turn. Therefore a turn can only be covered if there is an hour or less left on the clock. But steps must be taken to contact the player before hand.

this rule is fair enough as long as you are going to take into account where in the world players who are sitting are ie do you expect myself to get up at 3.00 in the morning to sit for someone because i have to do it in the final hour....

3, Sitting for the purpose of covering an extended break from the site can carry on as normal, turns can be taken whenever it is convenient, the sitter can add to chat, but the player on vacation must not take turns themselves during this time or add to game chat. Account sitting is for holidays, vacations and emergencies only.

no comment this is fair.

4, You must not enter clan games if you know in advance that you will not be able to take the vast majority of your turns in any game or be unable to take your turns on a regular basis. Having your account sat on a regular basis for the duration of any clan game will no longer be allowed. If you are going to participate in clan games, it should be you who will actually play in these games.

i would like to see a time scale for this because some games can last as little as 2-3 days some longer so maybe put a limit for the following..

doubles = 7 days before vacation
triples= 12 days
quads= 14 days.

also like reticently i was away for 3 days so depending on play order and when opposing team signed up do i have to miss a whole round of games because i might of missed my first or 2nd turn..

also like reticently highlighted in the josko case i would like to see a rule added that if a player cannot play on weekends they say in game chat and the team try delay there shots to allow this not to need a sitter, also asking opposing team to delay turns and if this is forgotten by the opposing team but follwed by the players team then this is ok to do by a sitter.

5, You must not be in another persons account for any reason, other than to cover turns while that person is on vacation. Adding to chat in a game you are not in for example will not be allowed. You must also not give permission for anyone to wander in and out of your account at their will. Take care of your account. What happens with it is your responsibility.
what if the person is absent and are the following...

1) running a challenge thread (can the sitter update it.)
2) hold privs for a cla clan tourney event (can they make and invite players) while sitting. because punishments are issued for late creation.
3)this is one i was busted for in the event there is a vote in cla and clan leaders are pmed about it but not a member themselves read it and make there vote via pmn from there own account to the other members letting the cla no that clans vote.

these are just my thoughts on things that need to be verified in the rules, and like i said i am sorry if they have already been addressed but these need to be confirmed to stop silly reports. as from what i see you have a good set of rules they just need a little bit of tweaking.

thank you..
eddie2
on behalf of aka.

Eddie I will address a few points you made. As far as putting people in games there is really no time limit for when a person should stop joining new games, but most people I know do not like to leave sitters with tons of games. That is just being realistic with your sitters. To your other points about what you should do or not do while in an account. If someone is away for a period of time, you can update the thread, and or make new games if it calls for it. Do not go into the account for other purposes.

Ace Rimmer wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:freakns and betiko: Team CC has made it very clear that you should not have someone else's permanent password and thus you should already have not been doing what you are arguing for. This is not new and is not changing with these rules. That has been a site rule for awhile now. As has been mentioned, there are perfectly legal workarounds that require a bit more effort on the part of the actual players in the game (as it should be).

I believe that to be an incorrect statement. KA has strongly suggested NOT having someone else's password but it has never been forbidden.

nicky15 wrote:2, Emergency cover may only be given if the person really is in danger of missing a turn. Therefore a turn can only be covered if there is an hour or less left on the clock. But steps must be taken to contact the player before hand.

It seems there is a lot of confusion because the rules only account for two types of problems: MIA emergencies and vacations. They do not cover a third, which is when you are notified outside of CC (email, text, phone, etc) that someone will miss turns. This situation does not fall under rules 2 or 3, but should be addressed in its own rule for clarity.

I would suggest you add the following between after rule 3:

(new 4), In the event that you are notified by the account holder that they will be unable to take their turns, you can take their turns like they are on an extended break. There is no requirement to wait until there is 1 hour left on the clock, but if they have given you a time frame that they expect to be able to take turns, you should not take turns that will end past that time.

Finally:
16:06:44 ā€¹BGtheBrainā€ŗ Ace, go make a funny joke in the Clan Sitting thread to diffuse the situation
16:06:48 ā€¹BGtheBrainā€ŗ :mrgreen:
16:11:11 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ BGtheBrain, http://www.conquerclub.com/for...3981378
16:11:20 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ that is an incorrect statement by Bones, correct?
16:11:52 ā€¹BGtheBrainā€ŗ its a sticky situation
16:12:07 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ your wife's face was a sticky situation

Ace is right. While it is not illegal for someone to have your password it is strongly suggested that it be someone you really trust. You are responsible for what they do while on your account.

squishyg wrote:Sorry if I missed this, but how will anyone know there's account sitting if its not voluntarily announced?

It seems like a lot of thought and energy is going into this; is this a whole lotta rule for a few instances that have been determined to be cheating?

Short Answer is you will not. Longer answer is random checks are going to be run so people will need to be posting that they are sitting. Most do this already unless they are lazy or trying to cheat.

JCR wrote:
squishyg wrote:It seems like a lot of thought and energy is going into this; is this a whole lotta rule for a few instances that have been determined to be cheating?

Its called fixing a problem with a sledge hammer rather than a scalpel. this shit is getting waaaay out of hand. the only thing you are going to accomplish with this is create a flood of dumb over researched C&A reports generated by sore losers and people with axes to grind. You guys do realize that hyper addicted players on this site do not give a damn about the "rules" of this site. I put rules in parenthesis because they are only enforced periodically on some people sometimes leading to absolute confusion. If anyone truly cared about enforcing these rules and procedures there is a simple fix(s).
A)Write a Program that blocks everyone from sitting for anyone
B)Create a sitter function so it is easy to monitor who is sitting for who in any games

I do not think we are fixing a small problem with a sledge hammer. I think we will apply the right force as needed. I do not think you will see people reporting each other in C&A like yo stated. People win and lose all the time. This just helps put a line in the sand as to what is right and wrong.

ViperOverLord wrote:
Nicky15 wrote:We are not trying to make things difficult, less fun.....

And yet, that's precisely what a rule that says you are only to account sit when a game has one hour or less does. Do you know how freaking annoying that is?

The one hour rule was put into place so it gives the player every chance to take his own turn. I think we both know that this is why we have it at an hour. This is to keep the abuse from happening.

JCR wrote:

I can think of another.

Random checks are going to be done. People are reading too much into the 1 hour rule. People are so hard up on the numbers they are forgetting the bigger picture! Stop being lazy and or having poor planning and take your own turns. It is that simple. For those times when something really does happen the 1 hour rules stands so you as the account owner have every chance to take your own turns.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby freakns on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:18 am

Bruceswar wrote:We do not have a sitting feature at this time. It was on Lack's to do list, but never made it out. With that being said you share your password with someone you trust. I assume your clan mates are your friends so I am sure you will let them know when you are away from your computer for any amount of time.

since you havent understand him, or he hasnt understand CDs, let me clarify this because he isnt going to respond on this subject.
i am his sitter, just as he is mine. everytime he goes away and isnt sure he will be able to cover his turns, he send me PM. i do the same. we also have each other cell phone numbers, so we can notify the other we are coming back and no further covering is needed.
problem here is "you need to say it in clan war thread" which is stupid. its not CDs business to know where he goes and is he available or not. if someone is covering for him, that will be noted in game chat just as it was till today. every time i was covering for him or he was covering for me we were said it in game chat. why is that not enough anymore? and what is next? video proof of you visiting hotel in some foreign country, or hospital bill that proves you have been unavailable due the illness?
Brigadier freakns

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 am

freakns wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:We do not have a sitting feature at this time. It was on Lack's to do list, but never made it out. With that being said you share your password with someone you trust. I assume your clan mates are your friends so I am sure you will let them know when you are away from your computer for any amount of time.

since you havent understand him, or he hasnt understand CDs, let me clarify this because he isnt going to respond on this subject.
i am his sitter, just as he is mine. everytime he goes away and isnt sure he will be able to cover his turns, he send me PM. i do the same. we also have each other cell phone numbers, so we can notify the other we are coming back and no further covering is needed.
problem here is "you need to say it in clan war thread" which is stupid. its not CDs business to know where he goes and is he available or not. if someone is covering for him, that will be noted in game chat just as it was till today. every time i was covering for him or he was covering for me we were said it in game chat. why is that not enough anymore? and what is next? video proof of you visiting hotel in some foreign country, or hospital bill that proves you have been unavailable due the illness?

Here is the thing. I will make it pretty simple for you. He is letting your organizer know and should be posting in chat that you are sitting for him. That is plenty, but it is nice if you could let the other clan know also. That is why you would post in the war thread. Don't read to much into it.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby HOWITZERHAL on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:57 am

Seems to me that if the new owners of this site were looking to expand membership. That automatically assuming everyone is cheating, by adding an additional layer of rulz concerning taking of turns in clan wars is ultimately going to reduce membership (nice move). To my knowledge, there has NEVER been a problem with our opponents in any challenge with respect to what is being discussed here. I am not saying that Clans are not taking turns for members who have RL issues, I am saying that it makes no difference to us whether this is occuring or not. And if this so called cheating is so rampant that there needs to be a rule about it, why is it not implemented sitewide for all games, not just clans?

Ultimately, IMO what this rule is going to do, is reduce the number of clans that participate in CC. Some of the Clans with smaller membership (ours included), rely on one another in our respective clans to ensure that our COLLECTIVE turns are made. Which is part of the allure of being in a CLAN. And when such an occasion as one of our members is not available to take turns, one of us would step in to take the turn(s). By which we would notify our esteemed opponents in chat of another filling in.

Now, it seems that is unacceptable, without first publishing an announcement in the NY TIMES as well as getting approval first?. It was stated somewhere in these 11 pages that there was input clanwide regarding this. TELL ME WHERE was this discussion made. Certainly not the CLA, which would seem an appropriate venue for this sort of discussion beforehand. I am obviously not the only one with questions, or else there would not be 11+ pages of discussion after the fact just a bit over 1 day after it was announced.

So, to sum it up: If it is a blue moon and Elsie's milk curldes then maybe, at some point someone will be reprimanded (possibly) for helping out a fellow teammate and taking his(her) turn without announcing to the world first. That the up till this point method of simply announcing in chat that 'johnnystinkfinger' is filling in for 'marymaryquitecontrary', is no longer acceptable. Because it was found out later that 'johnny' was a better player then 'mary' and the clan strategy was to have 'johnny' play. Which turned the tide and won the medal and ultimately a weekend in the lincoln bedroom. You people do realize that this is a game, a diversion, from RL. If all you have to do is make it more difficult to play this 'GAME', eventually only the ANAL retentive will be playing it

BTW You should have prepared more for the onslaught that you knew was comming from this. Looking at the BIG PICTURE as you say, smacks of BIG BROTHER, using a bazooka on a child grabbing a cookie from the cookie jar before dinner. And calling people LAZY, is unprofessional because this is ONLY A GAME, which prompted me to write here in the first place. Perhaps if you spoke SLOWER, more people would get it
Sheep Love Shiny Beads and Shallow Flattery
Sergeant 1st Class HOWITZERHAL

Postby pearljamrox2 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 am

So many people, so few with reading comprehension skills. I'm so glad I'm not a CD.
Major pearljamrox2

Postby cookie0117 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 am

One addition to the rules which could be useful is a procedure for long term AWOL. If a player has gone AWOL for a period of greater than 24hrs, then its likely that something bad has happened and they are having to put their efforts into a real life problem not a game. At this point could a slightly wider window be given for keeping their turns down, say 4 hours. As it will be difficult to have someone check in every hour to see if the player has returned.

And to clarify if you get a post in the forum similar to the one we had recently: Super storm Sandy is coming and I may lose power/internet and dont know when it will be back on. Are you free to sit for that person outside of the 1hr constraint untill their return?
Private cookie0117

Re: The Offical Clan Sitting Rules

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:58 am

HardAttack wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:
GoranZ wrote:
Nicky15 wrote:2, Emergency cover may only be given if the person really is in danger of missing a turn. Therefore a turn can only be covered if there is an hour or less left on the clock. But steps must be taken to contact the player before hand.
1 hour or less will mean that we need to give user passwords to bunch of clan members(instead to 1-2) just to be safe. RL emergencies usually last over 1 hour so limiting the time of supervision to 1 hour will directly force the clans to use multiple players to supervise 1 clan member... But the idea behind these rules is to simplify the process of clan games supervision not to complicate it. Can this be increased to 3 or 4 hours?

Nicky15 wrote:5, You must not be in another persons account for any reason, other than to cover turns while that person is on vacation. Adding to chat in a game you are not in for example will not be allowed. You must also not give permission for anyone to wander in and out of your account at their will. Take care of your account. What happens with it is your responsibility.

Simple question... Is it allowed to write in the chat what I have done and why while I was sitting for someone?

Goran

On point 1, the initial plan is 1 hour. That might be reviewed in future if it is not practical

On point 2, absolutely yes the sitter can say what they did and why.

Please review it, cos it really will come with problems sir. =D>

Agreed. It's absurd that a reasonable sleep-time isn't accommodated. The example given by the op, "I was going to bed and x was AWOL so I wasn't sure he'd take his turns," seems perfectly reasonable for a clan mate to do for the team, UNLESS it happens repeatedly within the same game without discussion of why the originally assigned player is constantly away.

Also agree with several posters here that if CDs are going to make rules, they should be specific and enforced across the board, no ambiguity to invite claims of favoritism, no questions whatsoever.

If it's "no more than three times, period" and "within one hour, period" and "always enforced," well, then, players may not "like" the rules but they'd have no valid argument with a given game/skirmish/war.

As someone said, why bother making rules that you then say you won't always enforce; doesn't sound like "rules" at all, sounds like ways to manipulate who wins based on who-you-know or who-you-like vs who-you-dislike.

But in the end, I agree with Howitzer; part of the benefit of being in a Clan is to have team games and team coverage, in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere; and these rules that seem to require foreknowledge in triplicate and papa's permission to go potty weeks in advance detract from rather than add to the fun.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby laughingcavalier on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 am

I don't think these rules will mean any changes for how our clan plays.
I guess we are not the only clan who thinks we may have lost some important games to clans who were being looser about sitting than us in the past.
There may be a few specifics need tightening.
But overall these rules seem pretty relaxed to me.
This initiative has got to be good in giving us all confidence we are competing on a level playing field.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby Catarah on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:13 am

i'm currious as to where my current situation will go, as this is a situation which pops up quite frequently for me:

right now its 14:00, and i know right now that i won't have any internet from 14:30 until at least tommorrow 15:30, but quite possibly longer. this time its because i'm going to sleep at my grandparents at the other side of the country(i live in the netherlands, the other side of the country doesn't require an airplane ;-) ), but it happens at least once a month that i am unable to take my turn for some 24-36 hours

now how i used to do it, is just send a PM to my sitter, i won't be here until somewhere tommorrow afternoon, and my sitter announces in gamechat when he takes my turns. however, it seems to me like under the current rules, this is not allowed, as this isn't exactly an "extended break". would this then fall under the emergency rules, forcing my sitter to wait until my games go under 1 hour before he can take those turns?

and how will you be able to differentiate between someone who's away for ~1 day and has a sitter, and someone who is in danger of missing his turn, and the sitter decides to step in and take the turn far before the 1 hour mark?
Captain Catarah

Postby greenoaks on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:54 am

it seems to me a lot of players believe missing turns is the end of the world and sitters are a god given right.

perhaps all account sitting should be banned. no exceptions. you take your turn or it is missed.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Vid_FISO on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:08 am

This has become a very interesting thread, a view from the bottom of the clan ladder.

Some people appear to be getting very upset that they have to leave such things as decisions to those actually playing in the game, even very high ranks can't be trusted to give an accurate assessment of how a game is going, someone else MUST be able to log into a game to see for themselves. Weird!

Due to the way our clan has been formed we have some weak/ inexperienced' players that will lose many more games than they win, such is life, as much as we want to win it is not "win at all costs", if advice is sought it is given, if it is not sought and mistakes are made then maybe a little abuse will be thrown around, in private. These players are equal members of the clan and as such have as much right to be selected and play as the "better" players, who also screw up themselves.

Some say "it's only a game" but then complain like buggery about not being able to control the moves of others.

Annoying as it is for moves to be missed there should NOT be an emergency 1 hr rule, clan members/ friends should not have someone else's log in to cover in that final hour (or hour and 1 minute) if, as things appear, that moves in some clans are not permitted until the rest of the clan has been given the opportunity to analyse, discuss, advise/ instruct then tough shit, miss the move. If players (and we're looking at some very high ranks here) can't be trusted to make a sensible move by themselves with 23 hours to play then it is not "only a game" for that clan.

These rules have not come from nowhere, no doubt IPs have been observed for some time now (as a mod elsewhere IP checks on some accounts are a very routine thing, one click and you have all the info you need) and some, maybe a few, maybe a lot are not simply playing a game, they are looking for each and every advantage that can be taken to win.

Commonsense dictates that anyone that knows that they will be absent from access for a period greater than 24 hours will require a sitter for the maximum of one move in any game in each 24 hour period, whether it be or hour in or after 23 hours. Someone that could be away for 12-18 hours should play their move before being absent, not have someone play an "emergency" move because they didn't have a clan leader's permission to move in the first 6-12 hours of the window.

Surely it's not that difficult? Definitely away for 24 hours plus, you have sitter(s) to play the minimum required moves during that period as suits their own availability. Moves that are being deliberately delayed due to a clan's requirements that everybody or one "expert" has a say first should be missed, not covered in the final hour.
Major Vid_FISO

Postby JCR on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:16 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
JCR wrote:

I can think of another.

Honestly, I can appreciate your point. However, you have to admit that they had to draw the line somewhere. More time would obviously be more convenient but this just widens the doorway for abuse. It's a shame it has come to this but some serious housecleaning seems to be in order and I vote we use clorox. It appears I have to settle for Lysol but frankly, I'll take what I can get. ;)

I agree. with that and I do not disagree with the rules. What I disagree with is the vagueness. this thread alone makes my point as to how much controversy and quasi legalese this is going to create. I simply think there could be a better way to draw the line.

@BG, I was in a pissy mood last night. I meant what I said but I could have said them more politely and with a little more thought. I apologize if I came off as if I were insulting your integrity. I was not, I dont think the rules are a mistake just the way they are being instituted. Our clan is already within these rules to my knowledge so no big deal for us. I still think site moral will suffer because there ARE people on here that will turn things into a kangaroo court.
Major JCR

Postby betiko on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:22 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
JCR wrote:

I can think of another.

lol, so for you if one of your opponent takes a turn for a clanmate that has disapeared he is gaining an unfair advantage on you? That's funny, because I'd rather say that if an opponent misses a turn I gain an unfair advantage on him, as you know, you haven't eliminated that player yet the gameplay is doing so for 1 round(mostly on an escalating where missing a turn can be game over). Because this guy had something he had to attend to or whatever, means screw his team, and screw his clan. The opponent has just received the magical righ to play 2 back to back turns because they deserved it! then pops up this moron covering for his partner because he knows he's gonna miss, unfair advantage!!!
Major betiko

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:40 am

greenoaks wrote:it seems to me a lot of players believe missing turns is the end of the world and sitters are a god given right.

perhaps all account sitting should be banned. no exceptions. you take your turn or it is missed.

+1

The simplest way to solve the problem imo

Yes it will be unpopular, so what? In the short term the site loses a few members (a decent chunk of which will be members who are fairly loose about following the rules anyway - aka CHEATS). In the long term there is no controversy, no big arguments, and the players that are left that are willing to play by the rules can play based on honest individual merit.
Major crispybits

Postby SirSebstar on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 am

crispybits wrote:
greenoaks wrote:it seems to me a lot of players believe missing turns is the end of the world and sitters are a god given right.

+1

Yes it will be unpopular, so what? In the short term the site loses a few members (a decent chunk of which will be members who are fairly loose about following the rules anyway - aka CHEATS). In the long term there is no controversy, no big arguments, and the players that are left that are willing to play by the rules can play based on honest individual merit.

I see CC as a place where regular people with jobs can play a bit of cc, even in the clanwars.
playing as a regular joe will mean real life sometimes throws you a curveball. So why should the punk with no job and unlimited time be better then me? The only difference being i would have to miss a turn or more, and that being a killer on any level playingfield.
With no sitting you would get a new type of farming, just extent the game long enough for someone to miss, and then you still win, regardless of your skill....
still i do get that its a lot easyer, so i'll grant you that. I like playing cc myself though, so letting someone else play for me, well thats.... hard for me. i use it rarely, but i do use it
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:33 am

My suggestion to "help" the 1 hour time rule is this:

Keep the 1 hour rule. If a turn is sat you must post in chat.
Expand the rule to 2-4 hours, and in addition to the chat a reason for sitting must also be given.

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:
IcePack for ChapCrap - he hurt his lady parts and is in the ER. It's 2300 and I'm off to bed, couldn't wait the extra 2 hours.

If patterns start emerging, or extensive use of the additional time is noticed, a clan can ask CD's to review the frequency and reasons and a they can either ok it, give a warning, etc.

This allows some flexibility, while keeping the intent to minimize sitting and abuse and allows the opposing clan easy access to info if they feel the other clan is going overboard.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jj3044 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 am

IcePack wrote:My suggestion to "help" the 1 hour time rule is this:

Expand the rule to 2-4 hours, and in addition to the chat a reason for sitting must also be given.

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:
IcePack for ChapCrap - he hurt his lady parts and is in the ER. It's 2300 and I'm off to bed, couldn't wait the extra 2 hours.

If patterns start emerging, or extensive use of the additional time is noticed, a clan can ask CD's to review the frequency and reasons and a they can either ok it, give a warning, etc.

This allows some flexibility, while keeping the intent to minimize sitting and abuse and allows the opposing clan easy access to info if they feel the other clan is going overboard.

Agreed. Or:
If emergency sitting for someone and their first game up is under an hour, you are allowed to "catch them up" for 4-8 hours (can debate the actual time frame). This allows for normal sleeping patterns. As long as the initial game is under an hour I think this would be an acceptable amendment?
Colonel jj3044

Postby jetsetwilly on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 am

jj3044 wrote:
IcePack wrote:My suggestion to "help" the 1 hour time rule is this:

Example:
1 hour or less:
IcePack for ChapCrap
3 hours:

Agreed. Or:
If emergency sitting for someone and their first game up is under an hour, you are allowed to "catch them up" for 4-8 hours (can debate the actual time frame). This allows for normal sleeping patterns. As long as the initial game is under an hour I think this would be an acceptable amendment?

I will check with the other CD's but I think we were of the belief that in the event of an emergency, it's only the first turn that has to run to under an hour. If you are contacted and clearly told that a player will not be able to return for next 24 hours then it's reasonable to be able to catch them up as it were. I will confirm.
Sergeant 1st Class jetsetwilly

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:22 am

SirSebstar wrote:
crispybits wrote:

+1

I see CC as a place where regular people with jobs can play a bit of cc, even in the clanwars.
playing as a regular joe will mean real life sometimes throws you a curveball. So why should the punk with no job and unlimited time be better then me? The only difference being i would have to miss a turn or more, and that being a killer on any level playingfield.
With no sitting you would get a new type of farming, just extent the game long enough for someone to miss, and then you still win, regardless of your skill....
still i do get that its a lot easyer, so i'll grant you that. I like playing cc myself though, so letting someone else play for me, well thats.... hard for me. i use it rarely, but i do use it

I'm a normal joe - I have 2 jobs (though to be fair one of them is very irregular and doesn't take much time at all). I still manage to get in and make most of my turns (the one turn I missed on a game recently was down to my own stupid fault falling asleep and forgetting it was due)

The rules wouldn't favour one normal joe over another in the long run, as both will have the odd missed turn once in a while, so it should even out.

And as for extending games, well there is a skill is dragging a game out, and a skill to closing a game down quickly. Yes there would be different strategies coming into play, and some people would probably adapt better than others, but there would still be skill involved, and even better it would be the skill of the individual named in the game log, not their mate or clan-mate who has played hundreds or thousands of games more than them on that map.
Major crispybits

Postby IcePack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:24 am

Fast posted: in reply to jet

That isn't what Bruce's response to themissionary seemed to indicate. But if that's the case please let us know. A big clarification.

Although if it's 2300 and the first game is 3 hours, 3.5 and 4 hours that still does nothing to help sit and my proposal would be more ideal.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby jetsetwilly on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 am

IcePack wrote:Fast posted: in reply to jet

That isn't what Bruce's response to themissionary seemed to indicate. But if that's the case please let us know. A big clarification.

Although if it's 2300 and the first game is 3 hours, 3.5 and 4 hours that still does nothing to help sit and my proposal would be more ideal.

Oops so it does. I shall give myself a slap on the wrist and clarify.
Sergeant 1st Class jetsetwilly

Postby HardAttack on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:35 am

crispybits wrote:

+1

since account sitting is a matter in risk game/s, or a matter of conquer club, so you have got a better deal maybe you fully close/shut down the site ? This way you wudnt needed to bother urselfves with account sitting problem/s... How is that ?
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 am

since account sitting is a matter in risk game/s, or a matter of conquer club, so you have got a better deal maybe you fully close/shut down the site ? This way you wudnt needed to bother urselfves with account sitting problem/s... How is that ?

So without account sitting CC ceases to exist? Please......
Major crispybits

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives