Conquer Club

New Orleans Hornets to change name to "Pelicans"

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Orleans Hornets to change name to "Pelicans"

Postby Serbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Read the title, click the linky

Pelicans? The Pelicans? Does this automatically become the worst pro sports moniker in North America?
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Re: New Orleans Hornets to change name to "Pelicans"

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Serbia wrote:Pelicans? The Pelicans? Does this automatically become the best pro sports moniker in North America?

Yes.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 pm

The Red Wings are pretty bad.

Not the name, the team.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Serbia got ESPN to cooperate in building a BBS Trap Thread.

Serbia +10,000 SaxBucks
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 am

Serbia wrote:Read the title, click the linky

Pelicans? The Pelicans? Does this automatically become the worst pro sports moniker in North America?

I don't think the Mighty Ducks will ever be beaten in the atrocious moniker department.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Serbia wrote:Read the title, click the linky

I don't think the Mighty Ducks will ever be beaten in the atrocious moniker department.

Really? I love the Might Ducks name.

Then again I love the movies but still....

Pelicans is meh. Not the greatest. There are a ton of better names, especially for a Nola based team.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby tzor on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:04 am

Clearly he doesn't understand Pelicans. Having lived in the Florida Keys, I know them quite well.

They are sort of like flying deer ... in that if they fly into your car ... your car is going to be severely damaged.

And in full flight, they are a thing to behold. I saw a bunch of them flying at full speed while on the seven mile bridge looking like Klingon Warships in formation.

I'm not sure how you image them to the game of basketball. They are not known for their jumping. They are not known for being graceful.

I could see them in hockey. Those poor penguins won't have a chance against a collision with a pelican.
Cadet tzor

Postby warmonger1981 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:43 am

TOTAL SUCK. ENOUGH SAID.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 am

Pelicans are cool!
I went fishing at my uncles house in Florida and a pelican stole a fish right off the end of someone's line as they were pulling it onto the dock and flew away. It was freaking hilarious!!! Maybe the team will get more steals now?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby macbone on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 am

Well, minor league baseball has enough dumb names to give the Pelicans a run for their money. The Montgomery Biscuits? Were they even trying?
Colonel macbone

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:16 am

macbone wrote:Well, minor league baseball has enough dumb names to give the Pelicans a run for their money. The Montgomery Biscuits? Were they even trying?

Look up a lot of early baseball/football team names. Like, early 1900s...some of the names are beyond ridiculous.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Serbia on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 pm

tzor wrote:Clearly he doesn't understand Pelicans. Having lived in the Florida Keys, I know them quite well.

They are sort of like flying deer ... in that if they fly into your car ... your car is going to be severely damaged.

And in full flight, they are a thing to behold. I saw a bunch of them flying at full speed while on the seven mile bridge looking like Klingon Warships in formation.

I'm not sure how you image them to the game of basketball. They are not known for their jumping. They are not known for being graceful.

I could see them in hockey. Those poor penguins won't have a chance against a collision with a pelican.

The hippopotamus is a fucking TANK. They're huge, they're mean, they are badass. You get hit by a hippopotamus, you won't know it for long, because your ass will be DEAD in a second. Really, what's going to stop a hippopotamus? You think a Chicago Bull wants to tangle with that beast? No, Bulls will be running. Bobcat? Hippopotamus will sit on that stupid little cat. Nothing can stop a hippopotamus.

But seriously, calling a team The Hippos would be idiotic. I don't care that the animal is sweet, huge, and badass, if it's a bad name, it's a bad name!
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:26 pm

In Ontario, we have a team called the Peterborough Petes. I think that is worse than Pelicans.

Also, there are tons of other bad names. Serbia just doesn't like sports and never thought of these.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15646_the-worlds-most-ridiculous-sports-team-names.html

Also, before you ask... Maple Leafs are made up because leaf is pluralized to leaves. Therefore LEAFS are not a real thing.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Serbia wrote:
tzor wrote:Clearly he doesn't understand Pelicans. Having lived in the Florida Keys, I know them quite well.

The hippopotamus is a fucking TANK. They're huge, they're mean, they are badass. You get hit by a hippopotamus, you won't know it for long, because your ass will be DEAD in a second. Really, what's going to stop a hippopotamus? You think a Chicago Bull wants to tangle with that beast? No, Bulls will be running. Bobcat? Hippopotamus will sit on that stupid little cat. Nothing can stop a hippopotamus.

But seriously, calling a team The Hippos would be idiotic. I don't care that the animal is sweet, huge, and badass, if it's a bad name, it's a bad name!

The hippo is hardly sweet. I heard they're the second most dangerous animal in Africa, behind the mosquito.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... ous-animal
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Serbia on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:43 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:In Ontario, we have a team called the Peterborough Petes. I think that is worse than Pelicans.

Minor league teams are meant to have bad names. I approve of the Petes.

DoomYoshi wrote:Also, there are tons of other bad names.

No shit Sherlock. This thread isn't about all the horrifically bad names in sports, it's about the New Orleans Hornets rebranding themselves as the New Orleans Pelicans, and my opinion that "Pelicans" is a bad name for a professional sports team.

DoomYoshi wrote:Serbia just doesn't like sports and never thought of these.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15646_the-worlds-most-ridiculous-sports-team-names.html

Yes, I most clearly am not a sports fan. Also, I'm not going to click on your link.

DoomYoshi wrote:Also, before you ask... Maple Leafs are made up because leaf is pluralized to leaves. Therefore LEAFS are not a real thing.

And that has what to do with Pelicans? You really are a throw-away troll, aren't you?
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I kinda like the name. Not like we can be New Orleans Jazz.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 pm

There's a baseball team in Japan called the Nippon Ham Fighters. Technically it's because they're sponsored by Nippon Ham, but still...
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Symmetry wrote:There's a baseball team in Japan called the Nippon Ham Fighters. Technically it's because they're sponsored by Nippon Ham, but still...

Yup. In the link I posted.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Symmetry wrote:There's a baseball team in Japan called the Nippon Ham Fighters. Technically it's because they're sponsored by Nippon Ham, but still...

Yup. In the link I posted.

Apologies- didn't look.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby tzor on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Serbia wrote:The hippopotamus is a fucking TANK. They're huge, they're mean, they are badass. You get hit by a hippopotamus, you won't know it for long, because your ass will be DEAD in a second. Really, what's going to stop a hippopotamus? You think a Chicago Bull wants to tangle with that beast? No, Bulls will be running. Bobcat? Hippopotamus will sit on that stupid little cat. Nothing can stop a hippopotamus.

They would be good for a running based football team. Have you ever seen the offensive line lately? They all look like hippos!

The problem is, ironically, the Fantasia effect. Hippos are forever linked to the world of ballet. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby spurgistan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:I kinda like the name. Not like we can be New Orleans Jazz.

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,