Conquer Club

Gun Free Zones

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should Schools Have an Armed Professional on Campus?

Total votes : 0

Gun Free Zones

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Obviously, making schools gun free zones does not prevent mass killers from getting guns into school, all it does is make sure there is no way the mass killer can be stopped until they run out of bullets.

Former NYPD Detective John Baeza says that it’s important to mourn, but we need to take action to see that schools are made safer. And to do it he says we need to repeal legislation making schools gun-free zones so that teachers can properly defend themselves and protect students.

Video interview here
http://www.therightscoop.com/nypd-detec ... ool-zones/
Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Repeal Gun Free School Zones!?

Postby keyborn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

I think that all teachers should spend at least one training day per year at the local gun range. Loaded weapons should be located in strategic places throughout the school in recessed, locked gun cases (like in the wall). These guns would only be accessible with a swipe pass key issued to the teachers. One swipe with the card and your in. Maybe even have safety measures like needing a fellow teacher to activate the lock simultaneously or something similar. This would at least make the Adam Lanza's of the world think twice about hitting the local school for publicity's sake.
Brigadier keyborn

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm

I hope your trolling on this one. Yall can't be serious about this. If anything needs to be, we need to look at our communities, our mental health institutions, and ourselves.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby keyborn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:I hope your trolling on this one. Yall can't be serious about this. If anything needs to be, we need to look at our communities, our mental health institutions, and ourselves.

I am completely serious. Never said I wanted those weapons to ever be used. On the contrary, my wish would be that those weapons would remain forever locked away and never be touched. But, I think that the criminals in these types of cases target the helpless and those who cannot defend themselves. Knowing that the weapons are there and that the teachers are trained to use them in such an emergency, might just deter a shooter from picking on the local elementary school.
Brigadier keyborn

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

These shooters know that within minutes of starting to shoot armed cops will turn up in ever increasing numbers.

How is it a deterrant that they might get shot maybe 5 minutes quicker than they would without the guns in the school buildings?
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Gun-free zones provide false sense of security
Killers aren't stopped by these policies.

"After a shooting spree," author William Burroughs once said, "they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it." Burroughs continued: "I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."

Plenty of people — especially among America's political and journalistic classes — feel differently. They'd be much more comfortable seeing ordinary Americans disarmed. And whenever there is a mass shooting, or other gun incident that snags the headlines, they do their best to exploit the tragedy and push for laws that would, well, take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.

There are a lot of problems with this approach, but one of the most significant is this one: It doesn't work. One of the interesting characteristics of mass shootings is that they generally occur in places where firearms are banned: malls, schools, etc. That was the finding of a famous 1999 study by John Lott of the University of Maryland and William Landes of the University of Chicago, and it appears to have been borne out by experience since then as well.

In a way, this is no surprise. If there's someone present with a gun when a mass shooting begins, the shooter is likely to be shot himself. And, in fact, many mass shootings — from the high school shooting by Luke Woodham in Pearl, Miss., to the New Life Church shooting in Colorado Springs, Colo., where an armed volunteer shot the attacker — have been terminated when someone retrieved a gun from a car or elsewhere and confronted the shooter.

Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking, but in practice, of course, killers aren't stopped by gun-free zones. As always, it's the honest people — the very ones you want to be armed — who tend to obey the law.

This vulnerability makes some people uncomfortable. I teach at a state university with a campus gun-free policy, and quite a few of my students have permits to carry guns. After the Virginia Tech shooting a few years ago, one of them asked me if we could move class off campus, because she felt unsafe being unarmed. I certainly would have felt perfectly safe having her carry a gun in my presence; she was, and is, a responsible adult. I feel the same way about the other law students I know who have carry permits.

Gun-free zones are premised on a lie: that murderers will follow rules, and that people like my student are a greater danger to those around them than crazed killers. That's an insult to honest people. Sometimes, it's a deadly one. The notion that more guns mean more crime is wrong. In fact, as gun ownership has expanded over the past decade, crime has gone down.

Fortunately, the efforts to punish "the people who didn't do it" are getting less traction these days. The Supreme Court, of course, has recognized that under the Constitution, honest people have a right to defend themselves with firearms, inside and outside the home, something that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit recently acknowledged in striking down Illinois' gun-carry ban. Given that gun-free zones seem to be a magnet for mass shooters, maybe we should be working to shrink or eliminate them, rather than expand them. As they say, if it saves just one life, it's worth it

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... l/1770345/
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

keyborn wrote: But, I think that the criminals in these types of cases target the helpless and those who cannot defend themselves.

If that is the case, why don't they go and shoot up hospitals every single time?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
keyborn wrote: But, I think that the criminals in these types of cases target the helpless and those who cannot defend themselves.

If that is the case, why don't they go and shoot up hospitals every single time?

Are you asking why wouldn't a mass murderer target a place where a bunch of people are already sick and dying?

btw, many hopsitals have armed guards....so that takes out the "helpless and cannot defend themselves" part.

But by all means, continue reserving helpless and defenseless for our schools
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Are you asking why wouldn't a mass murderer target a place where a bunch of people are already sick and dying?

btw, many hopsitals have armed guards....so that takes out the "helpless and cannot defend themselves" part.

Then have armed guards (e.g. police officers) patrolling schools. Unless you also think that nurses should start wielding pistols on their rounds too.

Postby keyborn on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 pm

crispybits wrote:These shooters know that within minutes of starting to shoot armed cops will turn up in ever increasing numbers.

How is it a deterrant that they might get shot maybe 5 minutes quicker than they would without the guns in the school buildings?

Problem is, they NEVER get shot by the armed cops...

Seems to me that these cowards are trying to kill as many innocent and defenseless people as they can before they take their own life. They don't ever let the armed cops get a chance at them. Their main objective is to take as many people young or old with them before they take the cowardly way out and kill themselves. Their knowledge of the weapons in the schools puts a kink in their plan to create as much mayhem and death as possible by taking out the defenseless.

And besides....with the weapons available to the adults who are charged to protect these kids...

Maybe the cowards won't get in the school building...

Maybe the cowards would be taken down before they took out the next classroom full of kids...
Brigadier keyborn

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Just means yall are giving more chances that another crazy person can gain access to guns. This isn't a gun issue it is a mental health issue.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Just means yall are giving more chances that another crazy person can gain access to guns. This isn't a gun issue it is a mental health issue.

No it doesnt. If there are guns allowed in a school zone then the chance of someone who is a "good person" having a concealed carry on the school grounds who could put a stop to the shooting is going to exist. If schools are gun free and someone comes in with a gun with bad intentions then they have free reign to just shoot people. I don't get LOGICALLY how the view of gun-free makes sense. . . To me it makes so much more sense to have people need a license and training to legally carry. If you make a law against it, is the law abiding citizen going to follow the law and not bring a gun? yes. Is a non-law abiding citizen going to follow the law and not bring their gun? No. So all you do is keep the people who could protect from bringing the gun in, while the law breakers can still break the law. Just twice this time. They will bring a gun illegally (why do they care if its legal or illegal?), and then kill people.

Allow guns, or at least traiin someone on campus or each teacher, and then there would be someone on location to help take care of the situation. Also, if criminals knew that someone may have a gun as well, I think that might cause people to be deterred. But DISALLOWING guns will not discourage criminals. They will still illegally kill people. They don't care. Its also illegal to kill people. They still do it.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Because if you go gun free the looney tunes would have their access to guns virtually eliminated. The fucker from connecticut certainly wouldn't have been able to just get them from inside his family home, he'd either have to overcome his aspergers and autism and develop black market contacts or raid a police station or similar.
Major crispybits

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Yall are just looking for a solution in the wrong spot. Or looking for a solution to solve the short term problem. The key here is these people have mental health problems. Society may have a gun problem but the bigger problem is taking care of those around us. Making sure that those who have issues get help and continue to get help. They obviously knew he had a problem, and let us not mention how the media glorifies these killers. Its a ticket to the big time, ya heard me.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby crispybits on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 pm

I agree Nola

I would ask why we can't do both though. Dealing with mental health issues on a societal level and dealing with a culture that allows ANYONE that has not yet been convicted of a serious crime or diagnosed with a mental health issue to own and carry a device that's only purpose is to injure or kill are not exclusive. Not all spree shooters are even noticed as being mentally unsound until after the event, and there is no indication from other countries with better systems and tighter cultures that 100% advance detection could ever be the case.
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Then have armed guards (e.g. police officers) patrolling schools. Unless you also think that nurses should start wielding pistols on their rounds too.

Then you agree schools should no longer be a "gun free zone"?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 pm

No. The gun-free school zone laws that I am familiar with already permit police officers to carry a gun on school property, so I don't support changing the law.

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:No. The gun-free school zone laws that I am familiar with already permit police officers to carry a gun on school property, so I don't support changing the law.

Does that mean you think making schools a gun free zone works/is working?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:No. The gun-free school zone laws that I am familiar with already permit police officers to carry a gun on school property, so I don't support changing the law.

Most schools that I am familiar with do not have uniformed police officers patrolling the campus on a regular basis. I would be in favor of trying this, although it would require more tax money to pay for the extra officers.

Postby 2dimes on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Phatscotty wrote:

It's not working because it's so difficult, perhaps impossible to do. Not because it's a bad idea.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Most schools that I am familiar with do not have uniformed police officers patrolling the campus on a regular basis. I would be in favor of trying this, although it would require more tax money to pay for the extra officers.

How about teachers who have had past police/military training?
Major Phatscotty

Re:

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 pm

2dimes wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

It's not working because it's so difficult, perhaps impossible to do. Not because it's a bad idea.

True, but when it comes to keeping our children safe from massacre's, I don't really want to get into why or why not, only want to do what can actually prevent this, and not more of what is obviously not preventing this.
Major Phatscotty

Postby 2dimes on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
2dimes wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

True, but when it comes to keeping our children safe from massacre's, I don't really want to get into why or why not, only want to do what can actually prevent this, and not more of what is obviously not preventing this.

I concede that the difficulty of maintaining schools as "gun free zones" does in my opinion prevent it from going beyond a good idea.

I started some discussion with my wife this morning. She immediately felt arming teachers would be negative because there would be guns available in schools where they are not currently. And I understand that point, it is valid. Further I think there is a risk that they would become less exotic, another negative point. Some students that should never see an actual fire arm in reality, would.

I believe very few teachers would be willing or able to properly and effectively use it. There is already a lack of funding. How would we pay for armed security personal of any kind?

What are your thoughts on the idea of, building police stations or satellite offices where police would gather to do paperwork etc. into schools or at least on the property?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:36 pm

I suspect the only time the children would see the firearm, is when they have already heard gun shots down the hall, and the bangs are getting closer....I think at that point it's okay for the children to see their teacher grab a gun and likely save all their lives, and I nor any of the children or their parents would be too worried about the trauma caused by "seeing a gun". And what does availability have to do with anything? I don't understand the thought process that if there is a gun in school for security purposes, that means a student will have access to it too. I mean, there is a computer in the school that is capable of changing students grades, there is a safe somewhere with a bunch of cash from a previous bake sale, and there are knives in the cafeteria. Those would all by MUCH easier to access than the theoretical gun that is locked up and supervised at all times.

This idea is why we wouldn't have to pay for security personal, hence, making a gun accessible in case of emergency for 1 or 2 of the most qualified teachers. Guns don't cost that much, and even if they did, I'm not so sure we would worry about the cost when it comes to preventing a massacre of children. I believe if we were to do this, many people would volunteer their own guns, or the community might voluntarily pitch in 1$ each.

Building police stations into schools? I'm sure it would work, but it would probably also cost over a trillion dollars. Not to mention all the other functions of a police department, which might have strung out drug users or prostitutes being released/brought into the police station/school at any given time of the day.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Evidence:

• A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
• A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.
• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
• At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life immediately after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.

Major Phatscotty

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,