Conquer Club

Easter Island [1/12/13] pg1/ mountains only

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Easter Island [1/12/13] pg1/ mountains only

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 am

Map Name: Easter island
Mapmaker(s): generalhead
Number of Territories: 38
Special Features: Holding statues for a bonus
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: It is in a unique location with some unique game play

Easter Island
show: v1

show: v2

show: v3

v4
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Easter Island [12/19/12] pg1

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 am

Add the word volcan to volcano title
missing one name
I only have Rono Raruaku as the specialty bonus because that is where the quarry was and where the statues were made
I am not opposed to having all three volcanoes have this specialty bonus if it will even out game play
might need to add that volcanoes are not a part of the bonus
Sergeant generalhead

Postby nicarus on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

how about a negative bonus if all 3 volcanoes are held? love the map. great idea. :)
Sergeant 1st Class nicarus

Postby perchorin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

nicarus wrote:how about a negative bonus if all 3 volcanoes are held? love the map. great idea. :)

You could call it "vapor lock" :lol:
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby Butters1919 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm

yes, Yes, YES!

you'll need a better way to label the volcanoes.

What about some of the heads being in greater states of decay?

Or, maybe some with the "hats" that offer up more of a bonus (http://famouswonders.com/easter-island- ... fic-ocean/)

Just a quick two cents! Great first draft.
Cook Butters1919

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:12 pm

nicarus wrote:how about a negative bonus if all 3 volcanoes are held? love the map. great idea. :)

Ty nicarus
That is a good idea as to not give some one too much power by holding all of the volcanoes.
The volcanoes on Easter Island are non active though, but it still might work
Last edited by generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Butters1919 wrote:yes, Yes, YES!

you'll need a better way to label the volcanoes.

What about some of the heads being in greater states of decay?

Or, maybe some with the "hats" that offer up more of a bonus (http://famouswonders.com/easter-island- ... fic-ocean/)

Just a quick two cents! Great first draft.

That is a great Idea since the statues that were exposed to the elements where in greater decay.
In the present they have dug up and erected some statues that had been knocked over as all 300 statues were knock over during the clan wars.
they are wondering if they shouldn't have kept them buried due to the ones they dug up and erected on the island are now being worn away by the elements.
The statues with the pukao were some of the last ones made and were thought to be ancestors of great importance. that is a great idea
about having a few of them included.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:31 am

OK gh, looks like this one is staying.

Auto deploy condition is not possible. That needs to be changed to a normal bonus or scrapped.
Gameplay already looks pretty solid, but add some impassables. The map is too open and needs to be closed of some.

Like Alamo, you have stated using jpegs all over, try to get all of these eliments drawn. The heads are going to be the hardest as they will need to be different (3 or 4 will do), also some different sizes would help. Texture for water and land is not nice. ;) Glad to see you add it early, but with the land, try to make it one type. For the water, you seem to have huge waves with the island floating above the water. Try to get this solved, Need help, ask for it.
Text, lets see if we can do this once more and stick to it. Your font is nice so that can stay. But you need to size it. Every name must sit comfortably inside the territ. If you add a glow, that also needs to sit inside. Shrink the font down to its smallest size that looks good. Then bring it up a few pixels so you have both the large and small maps text sorted. Long names like Tongariki can overlap the water. You have lots and lots of room on this map with only 38 territs, give the volcanoes a territ of its own with the name inside. No need to have the name on a string. Quick thing for you. Place 888s inside each territ with the name, then redraw the territ lines. You have a rough idea of where things should go now, so you can move names and 888s around till they look nice. Then draw your lines around them. Do not forget to do your impassables first though.

When you do the lines, instead of doing long curly lines, zoom into the map (400%) and instead of doing the dots far away from each other, do them close. You will get a far more natural curve to them and a more realistic environment.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:41 am

Glad to see you taking this one up. I think I started and stopped one just like this a few times, but I have a feeling you'll see it through. I'll give it a more thorough look as soon as I can. Us Jews on Christmas have a little free time. :lol:
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby generalhead on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am

Seamus76 wrote:Glad to see you taking this one up. I think I started and stopped one just like this a few times, but I have a feeling you'll see it through. I'll give it a more thorough look as soon as I can. Us Jews on Christmas have a little free time. :lol:

:lol:

I have a big revamp I am doing so you might want to wait to comment until then.
It will take a while because I have a lot of drawing that I am doing
Sergeant generalhead

Postby x-raider on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 pm

generalhead wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:Glad to see you taking this one up. I think I started and stopped one just like this a few times, but I have a feeling you'll see it through. I'll give it a more thorough look as soon as I can. Us Jews on Christmas have a little free time. :lol:

:lol:

I have a big revamp I am doing so you might want to wait to comment until then.
It will take a while because I have a lot of drawing that I am doing

I see...
Good excuse for me too. :)
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:13 am

gh, sent you a PM, about what I mean with the territ lines. Looking forward to the update.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks got the message, you are awesome. I am moving a few thing around and am working on drawing the maui's which will take a while. I am also looking into changing the game play. I will try and get a new draft as soon as I can.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:08 pm

You don't have to comment on anything else because I know I still have a lot of work
I was just wondering about the mountains?
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Easter Island [1/12/13] pg1/ mountains only

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm

You have the right idea with them. Personally I like them a lot apart from the grey outline you have for them.

The general size, shape and variants of each give them a good look overall.
Some ideas to improve them.
When you get the layout of them finalised, get some shadow put onto them.
Make the smaller mountains a different colour. Go into GIMPs colour tad and change the hue. Make the smaller ones more green and the mid level ones an in between colour. Then when you copy and paste them back in, take into account the colour. You can have the large ones at the back with a mid sized or a few smaller ones in front to give the appearance of depth to the range.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm

koontz1973 wrote:You have the right idea with them. Personally I like them a lot apart from the grey outline you have for them.

The general size, shape and variants of each give them a good look overall.
Some ideas to improve them.
When you get the layout of them finalised, get some shadow put onto them.
Make the smaller mountains a different colour. Go into GIMPs colour tad and change the hue. Make the smaller ones more green and the mid level ones an in between colour. Then when you copy and paste them back in, take into account the colour. You can have the large ones at the back with a mid sized or a few smaller ones in front to give the appearance of depth to the range.

Cool, thank you sir.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 am

Nice map but Maui is an island in Hawaii.. the word you're looking for is Moai
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby generalhead on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Nice map but Maui is an island in Hawaii.. the word you're looking for is Moai

Caught my miss-spelled work, Thank you Helix
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Seamus76 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

I remembered what I was thinking about when I was looking to make this map. As you know it's been found that the people of the Island used up all of their natural resources making and transporting the statues (specifically all of the trees to roll them), which ultimately lead to their demise and extinction from the island.

You could do something like dust bowl where all of the forrest sections, and other natural resources are decay. Kind of like Antarctica, but without the ice,etc.

Any way just some food for thought.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 am

[Moved]

gh, bunging this into ideas for now. Let me know if you want to continue with this one.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas