Conquer Club

What is "Gamesmanship"?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

What is "Gamesmanship"?

Postby DesalationReborn on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Game 12059017

Please read the text log. One of my opponents seems to think I am being unfair when I call the game-state as I see it. As far as am concerned, the chatbox is there for a reason. So, am I doing something wrong? Feel free to look at my other games.
Last edited by DesalationReborn on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain DesalationReborn

Re: What is "Gamesmanship"?

Postby macbone on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

You can use the [game] tag to create a link to your game, like so:

Game 12059017

You've done nothing wrong in your chat. You're using the chat is for what it's meant for, conducting diplomacy.

Polo's not wrong to be upset, either, although I think you've acted quite fairly in acknowledging your relative strength as well.

Some people don't want to use game chat at all, and others will wield diplomacy to great effect. It all depends on what players you have in the game.
Colonel macbone

Postby Gillipig on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 am

DesalationReborn wrote:Game 12059017

Please read the text log. One of my opponents seems to think I am being unfair when I call the game-state as I see it. As far as am concerned, the chatbox is there for a reason. So, am I doing something wrong? Feel free to look at my other games.

He never said you did something unfair. He just wanted the other players to know that if they started attacking him, then you would grow strong. You put the spotlight on him so he redirects it to you. It's all standard strategy.
I will say this though, watch what you say in game chat. Telling which regions you want from another player is not something I'd advise you to do. It will either make your opponent fortify those regions or attack you before you attack him. Either way not good. Unless you want to cut some sort of a deal with him. Just saying which regions you want without starting some sort of negotiation is not good.
Good luck with the game.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby skychaser on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm

I think that some people gets angry when you use the game chat. I think of these people as detestable persons.
Colonel skychaser

Postby macbone on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:07 am

If I were sitting around, playing games like CC with my friends, you can bet I'd be saying things like, "Ooo, watch out, guys, Josh is about to take over Australia with his stack," or "If we don't do something soon, Vito's gonna sweep the board!" or "So, did anyone see Skyfall? Was it any good? Hey, Jabari, grab me a Dew from the fridge!" On CC, a lot of that tabletop and gossip doesn't make it into the game, which is sometimes a good thing, but I love the social and diplomatic aspects of CC and games like them, and they're definitely a part of them.

Interestingly, some people have proposed a Silent Mode of some sort where you couldn't talk to anyone else via Game Chat. It's an intriguing idea.
Colonel macbone

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Bah! Diplomacy is about BS, misdirection, flattery..whatever works. The game chat is there for a reason.

I am not usually the chatty type BUT I have gotten into some lengthy discussions.

No matter what you do there will always be someone who disagrees or dislikes your choices.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Trevor33 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 am

Using the chat to banter with people can be fun but from my experience it can cost you games you might have otherwise won if it gets to animated. All depends on who the opponent are, come are easily manipulated while others are more likely to react by attacking you then listening to you.
Major Trevor33

Postby vonraider on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Diplomacy is part of the game. It can make or break you.
Private vonraider

Postby ZeekLTK on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

That's why I love playing large trench games - it's all about diplomacy. You literally can't win without it.

We've been chatting up a storm in this game: Game 11923179 (I think it's okay to post since it's fog so no one can see what's actually going on - if not please delete it [or tell me to delete it]).

The map is so big that you have to make alliances, because there are just too many borders to defend otherwise. I guess I can't speak for all the other players, but I'm having a blast trying to manage alliances and also trying to expand at the same time.

And I feel like it's necessary too. The players who aren't talking and making truces and alliances are the ones who are getting wiped out right now; for example pink didn't say a single word until he was down to like 2-3 territories and ended up being the first eliminated.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK

Postby Gillipig on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 am

ZeekLTK wrote:That's why I love playing large trench games - it's all about diplomacy. You literally can't win without it.

We've been chatting up a storm in this game: Game 11923179 (I think it's okay to post since it's fog so no one can see what's actually going on - if not please delete it [or tell me to delete it]).

The map is so big that you have to make alliances, because there are just too many borders to defend otherwise. I guess I can't speak for all the other players, but I'm having a blast trying to manage alliances and also trying to expand at the same time.

And I feel like it's necessary too. The players who aren't talking and making truces and alliances are the ones who are getting wiped out right now; for example pink didn't say a single word until he was down to like 2-3 territories and ended up being the first eliminated.

It's fine as long as you don't go into specific details. Like saying red has a big stack on Ute or talking about what truces you have or something like that.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Qwert on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 pm

vonraider , can you change your avatar?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mavybenson on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 pm

I don't like to chat whenever I play.

Last edited by mavybenson on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Recruit mavybenson

Postby Viceroy63 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

mavybenson wrote:I don't like to chat whenever I play.

You haven't played any games yet. How do you know that you won't like the game chat in your future games?

BTW: If you are really new to Conquer Club, may I suggest that you get into the "SoC" (Society of Cooks) ASAP (As Soon As Possible). You can contact me if you feel like you need any help or assistance with either the SoC or your games. ;)

Or you can also contact dhallmeyer directly by clicking on his name, for assistance with the SoC. Tell him I sent ya. :)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Return to Conquer Club Discussion