Conquer Club

New player and my thoughts on the site.

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

New player and my thoughts on the site.

Postby brokenenglishftw on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

As a new player I must say; The game great, the forum active, the people friendly. However; I think the website needs a MAJOR face-lift. I feel like I'm on an early 2000's game site ( which I assume this started in).

I kinda figured the staff/ creators are older and don't like a lot of change but as a computer consultant and a website owner myself, I think you guys could REALLY improve this site as far as the looks are concerned.

Please take no offence to this, this is positive constructive criticism. =D>
Cadet brokenenglishftw

Re: New player and my thoughts on the site.

Postby bedub1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

<Removed>
Last edited by bedub1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Also, 12 player games
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm

10 player games > 12 player games.

But yes, it does all look quite old. However, most gaming websites I've seen are full of ads, big images, and have fancy interactive Java/Flash windows everywhere, making the page quite slow to load and not so quick to respond.

I think I'd make the home page slightly more shiny, but - as I said - none of the fancy stuff; so it's a fine balance. And the .gif animation on the home page doesn't really show off the maps. In fact, I feel that the home page should properly portray the Classic map, to make it more clear to a new user that they will be playing Risk.

Regardless, there are other features which should be updated/included also. As I phrase this post with the aim of securing new users in mind (ie. from the perspective of the owners), that should be a proper induction - perhaps with a simple tutorial available.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm

ManBungalow wrote:10 player games > 12 player games.

But yes, it does all look quite old. However, most gaming websites I've seen are full of ads, big images, and have fancy interactive Java/Flash windows everywhere, making the page quite slow to load and not so quick to respond.

I think I'd make the home page slightly more shiny, but - as I said - none of the fancy stuff; so it's a fine balance. And the .gif animation on the home page doesn't really show off the maps. In fact, I feel that the home page should properly portray the Classic map, to make it more clear to a new user that they will be playing Risk.

Regardless, there are other features which should be updated/included also. As I phrase this post with the aim of securing new users in mind (ie. from the perspective of the owners), that should be a proper induction - perhaps with a simple tutorial available.

f*ck you
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I want a minimalist look. I want nothing on the screen at all.
โ–‘โ–’โ–’โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–’โ–’โ–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm

brokenenglishftw wrote:As a new player I must say; The game great, the forum active, the people friendly. However; I think the website needs a MAJOR face-lift. I feel like I'm on an early 2000's game site ( which I assume this started in).

I kinda figured the staff/ creators are older and don't like a lot of change but as a computer consultant and a website owner myself, I think you guys could REALLY improve this site as far as the looks are concerned.

Please take no offence to this, this is positive constructive criticism. =D>

Many people say that, but I disagree. I enjoy the simple to read interface, which carries over to the game.

Ive played on so called prettier sites, and while they may win more artistic awards, from a players perspective, they are not as clear or easier to follow.

I am biased though, as Im older for one, and two really care much more about the strategy of the game and the opponents, not the look of it.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

As Martin Luther King Jr. once said:

"Never judge a website by the color of its home page."

I would image that discrimination based on other appearances would be equally contemptuous.

All of you are racists.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby vonraider on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm old, and I hate change!
Private vonraider

Postby gordon1975 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm

dont change it,it would confuse stupid people like me
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

koontz1973 wrote:I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Couldn't disagree more with you guys on this. Like the OP I have stressed the need for a face lift, and I've done it for years. Nothing has happened. User input is not valued very high on this site. Maybe things will change with the new owner, if I was the owner it would be the first thing I'd change, to set the tone and show that he's serious about revamping the site. The site has been declining for years, the interface have been lagging behind more than anything. Fix it, and fix it as quick as possible.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Just_essence on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Especially when you add in the dice patch possibility, although I've only ever seen one person knowing how to do it on the recoded (current) site and posting about it.
Private Just_essence

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I felt this way when I first joined but now I enjoy it's purity. I think their argument is that it's accessible to anyone, even those whose computers are out-of-date. There has recently been a change in the position of site administrator so you may get your wish but I personally applaud the site for staying this way. Also, I don't think it affects my enjoyment of the game one iota.

koontz1973 wrote:I love the look of the site. Nice, friendly and easy to get around. If a revamp was to happen, and I would love to see one, my only hope is that we do not get to far away from the template we have now. Lots could be done with what we already have and give the site a really nifty look to it.

Couldn't disagree more with you guys on this. Like the OP I have stressed the need for a face lift, and I've done it for years. Nothing has happened. User input is not valued very high on this site. Maybe things will change with the new owner, if I was the owner it would be the first thing I'd change, to set the tone and show that he's serious about revamping the site. The site has been declining for years, the interface have been lagging behind more than anything. Fix it, and fix it as quick as possible.

Maybe the site has been declining, but I don't see adding a bunch of annoying flashy graphics as being an improvement. The simpler and more text-based the better. The seamless and easily-comprehensible interface is one of the things that I would rank highly on this site. Also, the relatively low bandwidth that it uses.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm

I am definitely of the fan of the simple interface. This game is not intended to be anything more than a very simple browser based game. Making it more graphics intensive would be even more of a pain for people with slow connections.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby kentington on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:28 am

Metsfanmax wrote:I am definitely of the fan of the simple interface. This game is not intended to be anything more than a very simple browser based game. Making it more graphics intensive would be even more of a pain for people with slow connections.

I agree whole-heartedly.
Some of us access this site mostly from mobile devices, and are thankful for the quick loads.
Bruceswar ยป Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 am

I like the simplicity of the site right now. I like the view, the easy navigation, the easy to use interface and easy to understand controls and such. Also it can load on nearly any computer with any browser, doesn't take anything special to be able to run it successfully or to enjoy it to the fullest.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:15 am

I remember I went over to my friends house once and his dad was playing risk(copyright) on the computer. There were options to watch the battles etc. but after about one viewing of this you turned the function off. My point is that bells/whistles do not necessarily equal a more enjoyable risk experience/community. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gillipig on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

Maybe the site has been declining, but I don't see adding a bunch of annoying flashy graphics as being an improvement. The simpler and more text-based the better. The seamless and easily-comprehensible interface is one of the things that I would rank highly on this site. Also, the relatively low bandwidth that it uses.

Who said anything about annoying flashy graphics?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Just_essence on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:23 am

Annoying flashy graphics are easy decorations, and so is used a lot when redesigning a website's visuals.
Private Just_essence

-

Postby Eddygp on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Let it stay as it is.
Private Eddygp

Return to Conquer Club Discussion