Conquer Club

The finest compliment

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The finest compliment

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Mrs thecurl spotted a man and his young son in a local restaurant reading the program from my show at the weekend. She asked if they'd enjoyed the show, and the Dad asked the youngster to repeat what he'd just said.
He said "Whoever wrote that show knew a LOT about fun!".

What a compliment.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Re: The finest compliment

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 am

Now I can convince my friends that CC is fun! ;)

Really though, congrats jones! Onwards and upwards!

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby kentington on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Mrs thecurl spotted a man and his young son in a local restaurant reading the program from my show at the weekend. She asked if they'd enjoyed the show, and the Dad asked the youngster to repeat what he'd just said.

What a compliment.

Such a great thing to hear when you aren't expecting it. Congratulations! That is a true test when the father and son enjoyed it.
Bruceswar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby bedub1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

<Removed>
Last edited by bedub1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel bedub1

Postby KoolBak on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Beautiful :D
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Lots of adults have told me they enjoyed the show, have even stopped me in the street to tell me how much they enjoyed the show. But I think that lad's comment is my favorite. Also, that's exactly what it was meant to be about. Fun.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Very happy for you, jonesy. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby bedub1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

<Removed>
Last edited by bedub1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel bedub1

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I'll try to post some of it, though it'll lose a lot not being interactive. Waiting for DVD of recording to arrive.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I'll try to post some of it, though it'll lose a lot not being interactive. Waiting for DVD of recording to arrive.

Neat.
In the meantime, why not post an excerpt from the script?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Lootifer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Nice!
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby macbone on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:43 am

Very cool, man!
Colonel macbone

Postby daddy1gringo on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:06 am

Wow, congratulations on a job well done. Remember us all when you are rich and famous.
The right answer to the wrong question is still the wrong answer to the real question.
Lieutenant daddy1gringo

Location: Connecticut yankee expatriated in Houston, Texas area, by way of Isabela, NW PR

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 am

Good work!
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AAFitz on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Mrs thecurl spotted a man and his young son in a local restaurant reading the program from my show at the weekend. She asked if they'd enjoyed the show, and the Dad asked the youngster to repeat what he'd just said.

What a compliment.

Nice.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby notyou2 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Jolly Good work!

Translated this superb comment to Jonseyism.
Captain notyou2

Postby john9blue on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 pm

jones if you get rich and famous and i ever need a loan, remember that i was the inspiration for some of your witty retorts
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby crispybits on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Sometimes a forum post just needs a "like" button.
Major crispybits

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:13 pm

john9blue wrote:jones if you get rich and famous and i ever need a loan, remember that i was the inspiration for some of your witty retorts

Actually quite a bit of my stand-up stuff starts right in these fora.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby oVo on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 pm

When you reach that first million, I only require a homogenized 2% commission.
Major oVo

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 pm

oVo wrote:When you reach that first million, I only require a homogenized 2% commission.

Give me all your banking details and passwords, and I'll get right on it.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:I'll try to post some of it, though it'll lose a lot not being interactive. Waiting for DVD of recording to arrive.

Neat.
In the meantime, why not post an excerpt from the script?

Not gonna do that - if I've learned one thing in the coupla years it's that stuff that's funny when performed is not necessarily funny when you read it. Or vice versa,

So here's the pirate Glossarrry from the program.

Did I do this already? If I did, I apologise, but I'm self-publicising so much right now that I sometimes forget if I've just planned something or actually done it.

Cap’n Beardy’s Pirate Glossarrry
Arrr! - an all-purpose word, me hearties. Also the best panto on either side o’ th’Atlantic.
Avast! – sometimes means “hello”, and sometimes means “watch out”. When ye meets a pirate, they both mean the same thing anyhows.
Aye! – means “yes”. “Aye, Aye” means “Yes, sir, right away, sir, no need ter hit me round the noggin with yon belayin’ pin.”
Belay – stop.
Belaying pin – heavy piece o’ wood with two uses – helpin’ to tie up the rope as’ll belay the boat – and hittin’ a cove round the noggin.
Bilge – nastiness sloppin’ around at the bottom o’ the boat on account of we ain’t got no bathrooms.
Bilge-Rat – anybody as I don’t like what ain’t a landlubber.
Black Swan – boat as Cap’n Hawk used ter be cap’n of afore I was. Monty Daysby served aboard her too.
Bletherin’ – talkin’ a load of old nonsense.
Booty – Loot.
Boson – one o’ the ship’s officers. My boson was called Higgs.
Bow – the pointy end o’ the boat.
The Briny – the ocean, so-called on account of it bein’ so salty.
Buccaneer – much the same as a pirate really, ‘cept they went around in bigger gangs.
Castaway - when nobody turns up for rehearsals.
Colours – The flag ye flies ter identify where ye comes from. “Sailin’ under false colours” is if ye pretends ter be someone as ye ain’t. Pirate colours be the skull an’ crossbones sometimes called the Jolly Roger.
Cove – a sheltered place fer the boat. Or a person. If ye says “We’ll tie the boat up in that cove”, it means the cove is a place. If ye says “we’ll tie that cove up in the boat” it means the cove is a person. And probably a scurvy knave too.
Crow’s Nest – A little box, high up on the mast, where yez can look out fer likely victims ter plunder.
Cutlass – sorta like a large potato peeler.
Davy Jones’ Locker - the bottom o’ the briny.
Doubloon – a Spanish coin what’ll buy ye a lot o’ Grog.
Ducket – some other coin. Italian, if I be not mistaken. Also buys grog.
First Mate – my first mate was Rosie Higgins, but sometimes it also means the cap’n’s second-in-commaaaand.
Futtock – it’s a bit o’ the boat, and nothin’ rude at all.
Grog – a mixture of Rum an’ water as ye drinks ‘cos the water’s so stale and nasty. That’s me excuse an’ I’m stickin’ to it.
Jolly Roger – the cabin boy when ‘e ‘s had too much grog. Or the pirate flag.
Keelhaul – yez don’t want to know. Really, ye don’t.
Landlubber – you lot. Unless ye wants ter join me crew?
Letter of Marque – official permission to loot certain peoples. It’s a letter o’ marque as makes ye a privateer an’ not a pirate.
Longboat – the ships boat fer when ya don’t wanna use the big ‘un.
Loot – Booty
Marooned – given a free an’ compulsory open-ended ‘oliday on a lovely island.
Mucky Duck – nickname as we used ter give the Black Swan
Mutiny – Don’t even think about it, ye scurvy knaves.
Noggin – can mean yer head, or can mean a drink o’ rum or grog. Kinda confusin’ now I thinks about it. As if too many noggins ‘ave gone ter me noggin.
Pieces of Eight – silver Spanish coins. Don’t buy as much grog as a doubloon does. Nor a ducket.
Pirate – a scurvy knave what robs yer, sinks yer, and probably kills yer too.
Port – ←over on this side.
Privateer - a scurvy knave what robs yer, sinks yer, and probably kills yer too. But only if the king or queen says they can. Getting yer sea captains to go privateerin’ is cheaper’n declarin’ war fer a king or queen. And ye usually tax the booty too. Privateers have a letter o’ marque.
Rum – tasty drink as never did me no harm. But it’s mine, so keep yer scurvy ‘ands off it.
Rum Cove – not the place as I gets me Rum from, but a strange feller. “Rum” means “odd”. Which is odd, ‘cos it means “Rum” too.
Scuppered – thrown overboard – or, in big trouble.
Scurvy Knave – Bilge rat.
Skiving off – a-shirkin; o’ yer duties, The sorta thing a scurvy bilge-rat would do.
Starboard – over on this side.→
Swab – to swab is to wash, ‘cos we sailors call a mop a ”swab”. No, I don’t know why. You know what happens to rum coves as ask too many questions? Watch the show and find out.
Swashbuckler – Ye’ve always wondered whether ye should buckle yer swash or swash yer buckle, haven’t ye? A “buckler” is an old name for a shield, and some men used to wave their bucklers around or beat on ‘em with their swords so as to look fierce-like. So, anything brave done with a dash o’ style .
Terminator – my boat. The figurehead is Arnold Schwartzenegger.
Walk the Plank – yez can dispose of inconvenient prisoner what’ll bring ye no ransom by getting ‘em to take a long stroll on a short boardwalk.

And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 am

jonesthecurl wrote:So here's the pirate Glossarrry from the program.

Did I do this already? If I did, I apologise, but I'm self-publicising so much right now that I sometimes forget if I've just planned something or actually done it.

Cap’n Beardy’s Pirate Glossarrry
Arrr! - an all-purpose word, me hearties. Also the best panto on either side o’ th’Atlantic.
Avast! – sometimes means “hello”, and sometimes means “watch out”. When ye meets a pirate, they both mean the same thing anyhows.
Aye! – means “yes”. “Aye, Aye” means “Yes, sir, right away, sir, no need ter hit me round the noggin with yon belayin’ pin.”
Belay – stop.
Belaying pin – heavy piece o’ wood with two uses – helpin’ to tie up the rope as’ll belay the boat – and hittin’ a cove round the noggin.
Bilge – nastiness sloppin’ around at the bottom o’ the boat on account of we ain’t got no bathrooms.
Bilge-Rat – anybody as I don’t like what ain’t a landlubber.
Black Swan – boat as Cap’n Hawk used ter be cap’n of afore I was. Monty Daysby served aboard her too.
Bletherin’ – talkin’ a load of old nonsense.
Booty – Loot.
Boson – one o’ the ship’s officers. My boson was called Higgs.
Bow – the pointy end o’ the boat.
The Briny – the ocean, so-called on account of it bein’ so salty.
Buccaneer – much the same as a pirate really, ‘cept they went around in bigger gangs.
Castaway - when nobody turns up for rehearsals.
Colours – The flag ye flies ter identify where ye comes from. “Sailin’ under false colours” is if ye pretends ter be someone as ye ain’t. Pirate colours be the skull an’ crossbones sometimes called the Jolly Roger.
Cove – a sheltered place fer the boat. Or a person. If ye says “We’ll tie the boat up in that cove”, it means the cove is a place. If ye says “we’ll tie that cove up in the boat” it means the cove is a person. And probably a scurvy knave too.
Crow’s Nest – A little box, high up on the mast, where yez can look out fer likely victims ter plunder.
Cutlass – sorta like a large potato peeler.
Davy Jones’ Locker - the bottom o’ the briny.
Doubloon – a Spanish coin what’ll buy ye a lot o’ Grog.
Ducket – some other coin. Italian, if I be not mistaken. Also buys grog.
First Mate – my first mate was Rosie Higgins, but sometimes it also means the cap’n’s second-in-commaaaand.
Futtock – it’s a bit o’ the boat, and nothin’ rude at all.
Grog – a mixture of Rum an’ water as ye drinks ‘cos the water’s so stale and nasty. That’s me excuse an’ I’m stickin’ to it.
Jolly Roger – the cabin boy when ‘e ‘s had too much grog. Or the pirate flag.
Keelhaul – yez don’t want to know. Really, ye don’t.
Landlubber – you lot. Unless ye wants ter join me crew?
Letter of Marque – official permission to loot certain peoples. It’s a letter o’ marque as makes ye a privateer an’ not a pirate.
Longboat – the ships boat fer when ya don’t wanna use the big ‘un.
Loot – Booty
Marooned – given a free an’ compulsory open-ended ‘oliday on a lovely island.
Mucky Duck – nickname as we used ter give the Black Swan
Mutiny – Don’t even think about it, ye scurvy knaves.
Noggin – can mean yer head, or can mean a drink o’ rum or grog. Kinda confusin’ now I thinks about it. As if too many noggins ‘ave gone ter me noggin.
Pieces of Eight – silver Spanish coins. Don’t buy as much grog as a doubloon does. Nor a ducket.
Pirate – a scurvy knave what robs yer, sinks yer, and probably kills yer too.
Port – ←over on this side.
Privateer - a scurvy knave what robs yer, sinks yer, and probably kills yer too. But only if the king or queen says they can. Getting yer sea captains to go privateerin’ is cheaper’n declarin’ war fer a king or queen. And ye usually tax the booty too. Privateers have a letter o’ marque.
Rum – tasty drink as never did me no harm. But it’s mine, so keep yer scurvy ‘ands off it.
Rum Cove – not the place as I gets me Rum from, but a strange feller. “Rum” means “odd”. Which is odd, ‘cos it means “Rum” too.
Scuppered – thrown overboard – or, in big trouble.
Scurvy Knave – Bilge rat.
Skiving off – a-shirkin; o’ yer duties, The sorta thing a scurvy bilge-rat would do.
Starboard – over on this side.→
Swab – to swab is to wash, ‘cos we sailors call a mop a ”swab”. No, I don’t know why. You know what happens to rum coves as ask too many questions? Watch the show and find out.
Swashbuckler – Ye’ve always wondered whether ye should buckle yer swash or swash yer buckle, haven’t ye? A “buckler” is an old name for a shield, and some men used to wave their bucklers around or beat on ‘em with their swords so as to look fierce-like. So, anything brave done with a dash o’ style .
Terminator – my boat. The figurehead is Arnold Schwartzenegger.
Walk the Plank – yez can dispose of inconvenient prisoner what’ll bring ye no ransom by getting ‘em to take a long stroll on a short boardwalk.

That's actually very considerate of you to put the translations in the program. I'm sure it's a fun show and I'm actually quite fond of the theatre.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Gillipig on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 am

What a compliment.

Did the kid say that while rolling his eyes or not?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Gillipig wrote:

What a compliment.

Did the kid say that while rolling his eyes or not?

Ha ha, good questiuon. The wife didn't say. Now I'm worried that at some point when she wants to put me down she'll say causually.. "oh -and Mr Bighead, you remember that kid? He was joking."
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,