Conquer Club

[Medal] Raise Achievement Medal Cap from 30 to Whatever

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Raise Achievement Medal Cap from 30 to whatever

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:39 pm

There isn't a need for Arabic numbers with this update. So, why change the current system?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Gillipig on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm

chapcrap wrote:There isn't a need for Arabic numbers with this update. So, why change the current system?

As far as I know the suggestion that has been approved, is the one where roman numerals will end at "L" or "50", so roman numerals are staying, unfortunately.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
HighlanderAttack wrote:The only thing is some people think it skews the medal table too much, but they are virtual medals so what is the big deal. Unfortunately because I stand to gain the most from a change like that-some will say I am biased toward a change like that. Reality is I have always wanted it like this-even when I was just starting off in the tourney world.

That's exactly the problem. If you can continue getting more medals just for doing more of the same, it basically becomes a type of farming. A medal system is supposed to reward you for stretching yourself in new directions and looking for new challenges. Running your first tournament is a big milestone, running your 291st is not.

Ideally a medal system should be logarithmic. If you get a medal for running your first tournament, it should take ten tournaments to get your second, and a hundred to get your third. and a thousand to get your fourth. (The multipliler doesn't have to be 10; if an activity is inherently more difficult it can have a smaller multiplier.) That's approximately the way the gameplay medals go: it's easy to get bronze, a little harder to get silver, and much harder to get gold.

That is all fine and dandy, then why a CAP--it should just be bronze, silver, gold, and maybe further it out. It makes no sense you can win 30 medals and then you can't win any more when the majority of the medals are bronze, silver, gold. Add Platinum and Diamond and make them all the same. We already know that it is much harder to get a medal for some things than other things. Someone can spend 30 minutes of their time running a tourney while someone can spend 100 hours running another tourney an it gets the same medal or in the case of the CAP neither get anything. Their is no easy way to measure the importance of each medal as everyone thinks different anyway, I would be glad to lose my 30 count caps for a more uniform system of bronze, silver, gold, Platinum and Diamond. At least to me it makes more sense than a CAP.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Qwert on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Gillipig wrote:
chapcrap wrote:There isn't a need for Arabic numbers with this update. So, why change the current system?

As far as I know the suggestion that has been approved, is the one where roman numerals will end at "L" or "50", so roman numerals are staying, unfortunately.

unfortunately,when mods suggest something ,then these its sealed for any other change. These its not any improvement at all.
Now you need to wait another 3-4 years, so that some new mods finally accept logical solution, who will fix these for very long time.
I dont know why i even waste time in these topic?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:52 pm

I think they should come up with three ideas and have the community vote on it--that makes the most sense to me

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

qwert wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

unfortunately,when mods suggest something ,then these its sealed for any other change. These its not any improvement at all.
Now you need to wait another 3-4 years, so that some new mods finally accept logical solution, who will fix these for very long time.

qwert, try not to be so negative.

Why is there a need for Arabic numbers if the only medals will be given out at certain leveled intervals? Roman numerals work fine for this. It's not logical to change something that is already working. So, instead of changing a lot of images already in place and adding a LOT of images and dealing with medal inflation, a few images will just be added.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 am

qwert wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

This suggestion is only getting pushed through because of community support -- we probably wouldn't have looked at it if not for this thread. However, sometimes we have to go a slightly different route from the specific alternative the community requests, but that's usually for technical reasons. It's not that we don't value your input!
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby jricart on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm

I have to agree with qwert on this. Its so disappointing at this point that no solution has been implemented and the mods/admins are walking around the problem. Be honest and tell us if you guys are not able to make a change on this, or if there is a programming limitation for a solution to be implemented.

I think is Conquer Club obligation to hand out as many medals as a player deserve. If HA wants to keep running tournaments, and winning more as well, he deserve every single medal he earned.

Do you think the banks are going to send a letter to Mr. Slim, Mr. Gates or Mr. Buffett saying that: "Sorry Mr. but our bank system can handle more digits on your account. Please stop making more money!" Thats bullshit guys!

I know that there are going to be more replies and pages added to this thread before this site commit and implement a solution for this problem.

My two cents, sorry.

JRT
Lieutenant jricart

Postby agentcom on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm

All the medals have some sort of "cap." With the standard medals, they are capped at 3: Bronze, silver, gold. After that you just have to play standard games (or whatever) for fun, points, prestige, clan wins, etc. That is, something other than medals. The same goes for tournaments: after you've won 30 you can still enter more tournaments, but you don't also get the medal out of it. You can continue to do it to move up the Hall of Fame or for fun or whatever reason, but medals won't really be your goal.

Perhaps if we could start the whole thing from scratch, we would come up with different limits, but the system isn't that broken right now. To me this is a minor change that will award a few more medals to those that have gone so far above and beyond the current cap of 30 that they almost demand recognition. I don't think that 31 achievements demands recognition in this same way.

So, keeping caps/limits on the medals is in keeping with how CC issues medals generally.
Colonel agentcom

Postby jricart on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:43 pm

So whats the point then on changing the cap if in the future we will have the same discussion?

JRT
Lieutenant jricart

Postby greenoaks on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 pm

agentcom wrote:All the medals have some sort of "cap." With the standard medals, they are capped at 3: Bronze, silver, gold. After that you just have to play standard games (or whatever) for fun, points, prestige, clan wins, etc. That is, something other than medals. The same goes for tournaments: after you've won 30 you can still enter more tournaments, but you don't also get the medal out of it. You can continue to do it to move up the Hall of Fame or for fun or whatever reason, but medals won't really be your goal.

that is well put =D>

agentcom wrote:To me this is a minor change that will award a few more medals to those that have gone so far above and beyond the current cap of 30 that they almost demand recognition.

i don't know anyone who would meet this criteria
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby HighlanderAttack on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:23 pm

The cap of thirty is because of Roman Numerals, not because it was deemed a worthy achievement.

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm

jricart wrote:So whats the point then on changing the cap if in the future we will have the same discussion?

JRT

That's the thing, There is no point with this suggestion. If we change to Arabic numerals we won't need to deal with this again. And if we change to a Bronze, Siliver, Gold, system, we also won't need to deal with this again. But just sticking with roman numerals won't solve anything, and we'll soon have this discussion again.
We're sweeping dust under the mat.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby greenoaks on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Gillipig wrote:
jricart wrote:So whats the point then on changing the cap if in the future we will have the same discussion?

JRT

That's the thing, There is no point with this suggestion. If we change to Arabic numerals we won't need to deal with this again. And if we change to a Bronze, Siliver, Gold, system, we also won't need to deal with this again. But just sticking with roman numerals won't solve anything, and we'll soon have this discussion again.

if we change to Bronze, Silver, Gold we WILL have this discussion again.

we are already having this discussion on that format in another thread, just waiting for admin to make a decision on it. [-o<
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Qwert on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 pm

here two examples.
in first you have roman numeral, who unfortunately only count to 30, but in second you can see that Arabic numeral can count up to 999.
When we look on Tournament hall of fame, most Organized Tournament have merch 313- 296 Tournaments, these mean if he want to reach 999 he need to next 9 years create 6,5 tournaments each month. Now in Winner hall of fame Highlander attack have most wins 291-if you look when he join CC, he each month win 5,38 tournaments. In these tempo, he need another 11 years to reach 999 wining tournaments. So in a very long run, you will solve these , only need to change roman with Arabic.
And everybody happy.Case close.

Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 pm

qwert wrote:here two examples.
in first you have roman numeral, who unfortunately only count to 30, but in second you can see that Arabic numeral can count up to 999.
When we look on Tournament hall of fame, most Organized Tournament have merch 313- 296 Tournaments, these mean if he want to reach 999 he need to next 9 years create 6,5 tournaments each month. Now in Winner hall of fame Highlander attack have most wins 291-if you look when he join CC, he each month win 5,38 tournaments. In these tempo, he need another 11 years to reach 999 wining tournaments. So in a very long run, you will solve these , only need to change roman with Arabic.

Yes, that works IF we want to have no cap and treat all medals equally.

However, this is to try and raise the cap, not remove it. And we don't want to dilute the medal pool so much. So, again, there is no need to change to Arabic because we aren't using the medal system that you are talking about.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:11 pm

No, everybody NOT happy. Get it through your head that we do not want people to get 999 medals for doing the same thing over and over again like robots. Medals are supposed to be for stretching yourself in NEW directions, for trying NEW accomplishments, for setting HIGHER goals.

Cranking out medals ad infinitum is just devaluing the currency. What we are talking about is a REASONABLE increase in the medal cap, not 999.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Qwert on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

No, everybody NOT happy. Get it through your head that we do not want people to get 999 medals for doing the same thing over and over again like robots. Medals are supposed to be for stretching yourself in NEW directions, for trying NEW accomplishments, for setting HIGHER goals.

Cranking out medals ad infinitum is just devaluing the currency. What we are talking about is a REASONABLE increase in the medal cap, not 999.

What wrong with you? i give mine suggestion and opinion, are these forbidden? Like i say earlier, its look that we have two opposite side here-Mods and Community, Mods want one thing and community want second thing, Now its look that new solution will be to open completely new suggestion topic with new suggestion, because you are not open for any other opinions.
But then we will have problem, because you oppose any other opinion ,no mater if these possible or not .
People need to get what they want, if someone want to win tournament like Robot, over and over again( like highlander), maybe he enjoy in these?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 pm

all of the community does not support your suggestion qwert.

i don't and i am someone who would benefit greatly from your sug.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 am

HighlanderAttack wrote:The cap of thirty is because of Roman Numerals, not because it was deemed a worthy achievement.

And maybe we should consider ourselves lucky that it was set up this way. I like that it was capped out regardless of the initial reason. I think it's a good system to keep the caps in place, but I am in favor of loosening them a bit. Hence my support of some form of this suggestion.

JRT

We don't have to have the same discussion in the future. We might, we might not. If people start greatly exceeding the new recognition levels then this may come up again.

Gillipig wrote:

JRT

Right now the current medal leader has "only" 147 medals. Some people want to be able to collect a virtually unlimited number of medals from certain activities. If we changed this to Arabic numerals, some people would all of a sudden have literally hundreds more medals than they currently have. There is something to be said for making conservative changes especially to one of the main avenues of recognition that this site has. If, on the other hand, we just did gold, silver, and bronze, those same people would have, in many cases, dozens less medals than they have now.

I don't understand why it seems to some people like it's such a crazy idea to allow for a modest increase in medals to recognize some folks for their contributions and achievements on this site.

qwert wrote:What wrong with you? i give mine suggestion and opinion, are these forbidden? Like i say earlier, its look that we have two opposite side here-Mods and Community, Mods want one thing and community want second thing, Now its look that new solution will be to open completely new suggestion topic with new suggestion, because you are not open for any other opinions.
But then we will have problem, because you oppose any other opinion ,no mater if these possible or not .
People need to get what they want, if someone want to win tournament like Robot, over and over again( like highlander), maybe he enjoy in these?

The Mods are part of the community and act as representatives of the community to the Admin as much as we act as representatives of the Admin to the users. Many of us are fairly active on the forum, in games, in tournaments, in clans, and in the foundry. While doing all that, we try (and sometimes can't help but) to get a feel for what the community wants. At the same time, we look at what can be done, talk the the Admins, and see which direction that they want to go. It's always a compromise of what can be done and what people want to be done given limited resources (in time, money, server space, etc.).

You're always welcome to share your opinion, but characterizing this as Mods v. Community is downright disingenuous.
Colonel agentcom

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:07 am

My vote goes for qwert to make the 999 new medals we need for each one. ;)
So 999 for
  • Training Achievement
  • Tournament Achievement
  • General Achievement
  • Clan Achievement
  • Map Contribution
  • Tournament Contribution
  • General Contribution
So that is another 6993 medals that need to be made. At one every 10 minutes, it would take 1165 hours to do. If qwert is willing to spend that much time on this, I am willing to change my support to qwerts idea. :P

Considering when the medals first came out in "08", I very much doubt their was any inkling that players would be making 200+ tournaments, winning 200+ tournaments or making more than 30 maps.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:05 am

koontz1973 wrote:My vote goes for qwert to make the 999 new medals we need for each one. ;)
So 999 for
  • Training Achievement
  • Tournament Achievement
  • General Achievement
  • Clan Achievement
  • Map Contribution
  • Tournament Contribution
  • General Contribution
So that is another 6993 medals that need to be made. At one every 10 minutes, it would take 1165 hours to do. If qwert is willing to spend that much time on this, I am willing to change my support to qwerts idea. :P

Considering when the medals first came out in "08", I very much doubt their was any inkling that players would be making 200+ tournaments, winning 200+ tournaments or making more than 30 maps.

well, i suppose if qwert is willing to put in the effort to make Arabic a success then i'll also back his change.

ps qwert. i didnt start hosting tourney when i joined the site. i got serious in May 2011 (KISS Classic)). i think most of us were here for a while before we became active which throwa out your calcs.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:35 am

qwert wrote:What wrong with you? i give mine suggestion and opinion, are these forbidden? Like i say earlier, its look that we have two opposite side here-Mods and Community, Mods want one thing and community want second thing,

Don't give me this "mods vs. community" bullshit. This isn't some kind of Marxist class warfare. The mods are part of the community just like you. And certainly the debate here has not broken down along any "mod versus non-mod" lines. Jricart who is a mod agrees with you. Greenoaks who is not a mod agrees with me. So don't try to pretend that you're a goddamn sans-culotte marching on the Bastille, because you're not.

This debate is about debauching the currency. Medals are the coin of the realm on a gaming site, and if you hand them out too easily you're poisoning the well and devaluing the efforts of everyone who worked hard for theirs.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

We have less than 15 people debating on this topic. I have given my two cents earlier with my two ways I would do things. There would be no cap either way. There is either an out right medal count or an achievement level medal type like the majority of the medals in my opinion. Again, someone compile the ideas and let there be a vote. Debating about caps on virtual medals (non tangible and all in all meaningless for the most part) is always going to be a he said she said opinion thing. There is no right or wrong as everyone has their opinion. If this site wants to do what is right it would let the people vote on as many ideas that we can come up with. It would not be hard to accomplish this. If you do not do it this way, the mods basically are dictators and you will do it our way and like it kind of people.

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:31 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:We have less than 15 people debating on this topic. I have given my two cents earlier with my two ways I would do things. There would be no cap either way. There is either an out right medal count or an achievement level medal type like the majority of the medals in my opinion. Again, someone compile the ideas and let there be a vote. Debating about caps on virtual medals (non tangible and all in all meaningless for the most part) is always going to be a he said she said opinion thing. There is no right or wrong as everyone has their opinion. If this site wants to do what is right it would let the people vote on as many ideas that we can come up with. It would not be hard to accomplish this. If you do not do it this way, the mods basically are dictators and you will do it our way and like it kind of people.

Mods only make suggestions to owners and programmers.

For myself, I make suggestions so that the programmer knows all sides of an argument. It's not really our choice and, historically, we aren't even aware of an update until just before release anyway. By that time, what meaningful input can be given? I'm hoping this will change in the future. However, the mods are currently, most definitely, not in charge of updates or how, when, and if they are implemented.
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions