Conquer Club

[Official] Holiday Mafia - Game Over!

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Rankin/Bass Holiday Mafia - Day 1 [16/16]

Postby superkeener on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am

So some people are gifters, some are not... I am thinking that maybe we roll the dice on D1 with a no lynch. And then when D2 begins, we all wade through the rubble together :)

oh and UNVOTE
Lieutenant superkeener

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm

betiko wrote:2 other questions to mods: if someone gets 2 gifts tonight, can he use an action that night or does he has to wait for the following? are we aware of the gifter if we receive one?

Go ahead and play as if neither of those things happen, I'll talk it over with pcm to be sure (I'm almost certain you won't know the gifter).
Private blakebowling

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm

superkeener wrote:So some people are gifters, some are not... I am thinking that maybe we roll the dice on D1 with a no lynch. And then when D2 begins, we all wade through the rubble together :)

oh and UNVOTE

annnddd he trips off the scumdar for a second time for me. Why do you suppose we go for a no lynch superkeener?
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby Kanin Usagi on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:
superkeener wrote:So some people are gifters, some are not... I am thinking that maybe we roll the dice on D1 with a no lynch. And then when D2 begins, we all wade through the rubble together :)

oh and UNVOTE

annnddd he trips off the scumdar for a second time for me. Why do you suppose we go for a no lynch superkeener?

Probably because its day one and we know next to nothing.

I've never understood why everyone seems to think that a day one no lynch is an awful idea, and why it's scummy to suggest it. The majority of games I've looked through, day one lynches are mislynched, lynch the inactive (who turns up town), or a very lucky lynch because of an inexperienced mafia giving off a big slip.
Commander9 wrote:
Rodion wrote:Vote Commander9 for being Commander9.

I am convinced by your argument.

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Kanin Usagi wrote:
MoB Deadly wrote:

oh and UNVOTE

Probably because its day one and we know next to nothing.

I've never understood why everyone seems to think that a day one no lynch is an awful idea, and why it's scummy to suggest it. The majority of games I've looked through, day one lynches are mislynched, lynch the inactive (who turns up town), or a very lucky lynch because of an inexperienced mafia giving off a big slip.

The reason people act like its scummy is because if the person suggesting it really is mafia a no lynch helps mafia more then Town. Sure there is a high probability of a mislynch on day one BUT that lynch of Townie raises the probability that mafia will be lynched next day.

Mafia meanwhile gets a free night kill without fear of being lynched.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

What happens when we vote no lynch today, get no night results, and start the day off tomorrow? Then we are in the exact same position as today, except mafia got a kill off.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby spiesr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Here is something to think about in regards to the Day 1 no lynch idea. It is true that on Day 1 there is basically nothing to gone on when deciding on a lynch. A key point is that there are only two ways to avoid this situation playing out the same on Day 2. Either someone has to get a night action result that at least implies someone to be scum, or there has to have been enough discussion from Day 1 that there is something to build off of.
Accordingly, I feel the the result itself of a no lynch occurring on Day 1 isn't inherently that bad. The important part is the path that is taken to reach that point. Day 1 needs to generate a certain amount of discussion. If Day 1 has a lot of discussing with everyone actively contributing and different ideas being brought up and argued about then nobody actually being lynched can still sort of be an "acceptable" result. However, if everyone more or less just agrees to simply go with a no lynch then the Day will truly have been "wasted." Day 1 is really kind of a case where the means are more important than the ends. As such it could maybe be considered scummy to try to move straight to a low discussion no lynch end of the Day, as the pro-town thing to do would be to try to do whatever is takes to make certain that discussion reaches sufficient levels.
Captain spiesr

Postby jonty125 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm

spiesr wrote:Here is something to think about in regards to the Day 1 no lynch idea. It is true that on Day 1 there is basically nothing to gone on when deciding on a lynch. A key point is that there are only two ways to avoid this situation playing out the same on Day 2. Either someone has to get a night action result that at least implies someone to be scum, or there has to have been enough discussion from Day 1 that there is something to build off of.
Accordingly, I feel the the result itself of a no lynch occurring on Day 1 isn't inherently that bad. The important part is the path that is taken to reach that point. Day 1 needs to generate a certain amount of discussion. If Day 1 has a lot of discussing with everyone actively contributing and different ideas being brought up and argued about then nobody actually being lynched can still sort of be an "acceptable" result. However, if everyone more or less just agrees to simply go with a no lynch then the Day will truly have been "wasted." Day 1 is really kind of a case where the means are more important than the ends. As such it could maybe be considered scummy to try to move straight to a low discussion no lynch end of the Day, as the pro-town thing to do would be to try to do whatever is takes to make certain that discussion reaches sufficient levels.

I have played on mafia sites where NL on D1 is the trend and without the discussion, D1 is like D2, which is like D3 etc.
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
Cook jonty125

Postby betiko on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 pm

i personally think in general it's not such a bad thing if a day 1 ends up in an accidental vt lynch. you are still narrowing down options to find scum and you get lots of info on pople's reactions. I mean if we put pressure on someone and he claims vt, I'd rather lynch him than give him a second chance. if he turns out pr then he has to do something that could clear him for the next day.
but in this game vts are probably gift givers, which are essential for town so I think all roles count.

here is a question to everyone: if you guys get enough gifts for an action tonight, what would be the first type of action you would use?
Major betiko

Postby jonty125 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

betiko wrote:i personally think in general it's not such a bad thing if a day 1 ends up in an accidental vt lynch. you are still narrowing down options to find scum and you get lots of info on pople's reactions. I mean if we put pressure on someone and he claims vt, I'd rather lynch him than give him a second chance. if he turns out pr then he has to do something that could clear him for the next day.
but in this game vts are probably gift givers, which are essential for town so I think all roles count.

here is a question to everyone: if you guys get enough gifts for an action tonight, what would be the first type of action you would use?

Cop.
Cook jonty125

Postby thechuck51 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:What happens when we vote no lynch today, get no night results, and start the day off tomorrow? Then we are in the exact same position as today, except mafia got a kill off.

I agree with this ^
betiko wrote:here is a question to everyone: if you guys get enough gifts for an action tonight, what would be the first type of action you would use?

cop as well. with the way the cost for actions increase (2 gifts, then 3 gifts...) I think anybody/everybody who can should use a cop action since multiple cop actions increase our chances of finding scum night 1 (obviously) and it seems less likely that a player will be able to do an action in subsequent nights (since it will require more gifts)
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby spiesr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 pm

betiko wrote:here is a question to everyone: if you guys get enough gifts for an action tonight, what would be the first type of action you would use?
Since blakebowling seems to have said that you won't be able to use any gifts right when you get them you can remove the "tonight" part of this question. As such my answer is that it will highly depend on the circumstances at what ever time I might have the option. Cop of course sounds like a solid choice that would be hard to go wrong with, but the situation might present itself for something else to be useful. The seemingly great possibilities of the bit of Christmas magic might even convince me to try to save up for that I have a good idea and feel that I will last long enough to pull it off.
soundman wrote:Vote Betiko! For admitting to a tiny slip!
Also, Unvote Vote Soundman, as this wasn't enough to assuage my earlier vote on Little Witt about insufficient activity.
Captain spiesr

Postby betiko on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 pm

blakebowling wrote:
betiko wrote:2 other questions to mods: if someone gets 2 gifts tonight, can he use an action that night or does he has to wait for the following? are we aware of the gifter if we receive one?

Go ahead and play as if neither of those things happen, I'll talk it over with pcm to be sure (I'm almost certain you won't know the gifter).

this is still tbc spiesr, blake didn't say that a person with at least 2 gifts couldn't use directly the action. although it would be complicated as the night phase would have to be quite long each time.
he's almost certain about not knowing the gifter, not about the use of gifts tonight.
Also I asked the mods what happens to unused presents a killed/lynched person has still on him?
Major betiko

Postby Kanin Usagi on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm

betiko wrote:i personally think in general it's not such a bad thing if a day 1 ends up in an accidental vt lynch. you are still narrowing down options to find scum and you get lots of info on pople's reactions. I mean if we put pressure on someone and he claims vt, I'd rather lynch him than give him a second chance. if he turns out pr then he has to do something that could clear him for the next day.

Save up for Christmas magic. And then attempt to break the game. Hah.

But seriously. Christmas magic.
Commander9 wrote:
Rodion wrote:Vote Commander9 for being Commander9.

I am convinced by your argument.

Vote Commander9.
Private Kanin Usagi

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 am

betiko wrote:
blakebowling wrote:

this is still tbc spiesr, blake didn't say that a person with at least 2 gifts couldn't use directly the action. although it would be complicated as the night phase would have to be quite long each time.
he's almost certain about not knowing the gifter, not about the use of gifts tonight.
Also I asked the mods what happens to unused presents a killed/lynched person has still on him?

I know, and I didn't answer ;).
Private blakebowling

Postby edocsil on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 am

MoB Deadly wrote:What happens when we vote no lynch today, get no night results, and start the day off tomorrow? Then we are in the exact same position as today, except mafia got a kill off.

That is the only reason that is needed. Town needs vote patterns to live, and D1 lynches make those patterns for the smallest amount of cost.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby betiko on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 am

edocsil wrote:

That is the only reason that is needed. Town needs vote patterns to live, and D1 lynches make those patterns for the smallest amount of cost.

I agree. pretty undecided now on who to attack though. All the cases I started so far have backfired on me and I ran out of scummy vibes on people.
Major betiko

Postby jonty125 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am

betiko wrote:I agree. pretty undecided now on who to attack though.

How 'bout an inactive, saying nothing, means you can't say anything scummy.
Cook jonty125

Postby superkeener on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 am

jonty125 wrote:
betiko wrote:I agree. pretty undecided now on who to attack though.

How 'bout an inactive, saying nothing, means you can't say anything scummy.

Yes I like this. ;)

Maybe a D1 lynch is good, but somehow I guess I just don't have enough to go on right now to just send a random person to the wolves. I never like to compare any mafia game to another as I typically give everyone the benefit of doubt in D1 unless there is something that grabs my attention.

Nothing has grabbed my attention just yet, but I am still open for a D1 lynch if evidence arises.
Lieutenant superkeener

Postby NoSurvivors on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 am

im wondering if you have any replacements left? I have exams soon and CC will be a huge distraction from studying (I cannot afford to fail any of my exams).
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:im wondering if you have any replacements left? I have exams soon and CC will be a huge distraction from studying (I cannot afford to fail any of my exams).

We don't, currently. However we should be able to find someone if you need to step out of the game.
Private blakebowling

Postby soundman on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I also would probably use a cop action. Or save up for Christmas magic like Kanin suggested. Unvote my joke vote.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby rishaed on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Imma gonna save up for some Christmas Magic :D.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby NoSurvivors on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm

blakebowling wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:im wondering if you have any replacements left? I have exams soon and CC will be a huge distraction from studying (I cannot afford to fail any of my exams).

We don't, currently. However we should be able to find someone if you need to step out of the game.

This would be best, my apologies, I didn't realize I would have to do this but based on my last few test marks I got back today-- I NEED to study lol. Thanks and hf everyone!
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Nendreel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Cop would be the most useful, but it might be a good idea to have a Doc action or two around as well.

I've been thinking about what to do if I can get some Christmas Magic, but haven't come up with very many ideas.
Sergeant Nendreel

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives