Conquer Club

Friendly mentally challenged people.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Friendly mentally challenged people.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 am

AAFitz wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I am still at the point in my life where I know, no matter what he won, Id have insured that he got his proper winnings, and I hope that never changes.

it's very easy to say this hypothetically on an anonymous online forum. but i think everyone has their breaking point, a certain amount of money where they would try to scam the guy out of his tickets just so they could get it instead.

What is the price of morally good action?

Is there a price at which anyone would commit an improper act (e.g. AAFitz's example)?

Well, no doubt, but I don't think its the number that is the biggest determinant but the combination of factors.

I would love a million dollars, but if I took it from that kid, I know I could never, ever have any respect for myself, so while Im sure there would be a moment of wtf do I do, one that absolutely could turn out unexpectedly, I have been running my own business with ample opportunities to take advantage of people, and simply don't do it. Thats not to say that every decision is made with a halo, but when it comes to individuals, whats fair is whats fair, and if you break that code, there's really no way to have any self respect, and if you lose that, whats the point of anything.

In any case, I know right now I am in that place, but I think it was clear, I fully accept that in the future, you never know.

How about $900,000,000?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby KoolBak on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I would guess that helping the dude out and assuring that he got his rightful winnings would incur some sort of reciprocity on the dude's behalf....but even if it didn't, doing the right thing is....well...just the right thing to do. It is not the "christian" thing to do, it's the RIGHT thing to do.....basic morals have been around longer than 2000 years.....lol

A good example - there was a little old man that lived next to me; for the last 20 years I helped him out, mowed his lawn, assisted with projects.....was a friend as he had few. He passed away a year ago - his daughter came in from out of town to manage the estate. She came by and handed me the keys to his car and said "Daddy wanted (your son) to have this".....so cool. My 16 year old has a nice, economical, relatively new car :D

And as to the title of the thread....there's a dude that lives near my youngest's school and is always out walking / hanging out. He is special.....many of the parents complain / worry about him......he is super nice, happy, harmless.....I've become his friend and into'ed him to many of the naysayers at school.....amazing how suspicious people are....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:47 pm

KoolBak wrote: It is not the "christian" thing to do, it's the RIGHT thing to do.....basic morals have been around longer than 2000 years.....lol

This is absolutely true. I'm sorry I brought "Christian" into the thread but I just felt a strong need to mention the fact that. Yeshua's teachings are all about the right thing being the right thing, even when it makes no sense. "Love your enemy?" Come one man!
They were, are and allways will be things for everyone, not just the people that go to a church to be good.

I'm not saying no good people go to church but I have seen some really messed up things come from people that lead churches. Some of them were actually really great guys that I still feel bad for because they just made mistakes. Which leads me to this.

Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.

Sort of but the fact is. I do desire greatly to do the right thing. I also have to be honest at least with myself that I'm human.
Insert corney song that can say things better than I can.
Human League wrote: I'm only human of flesh and blood I'm made... Human, born to make mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2X5PolerA

AAFitz wrote:Well, no doubt, but I don't think its the number that is the biggest determinant but the combination of factors.

I would love a million dollars, but if I took it from that kid, I know I could never, ever have any respect for myself, so while Im sure there would be a moment of wtf do I do, one that absolutely could turn out unexpectedly, I have been running my own business with ample opportunities to take advantage of people, and simply don't do it. Thats not to say that every decision is made with a halo, but when it comes to individuals, whats fair is whats fair, and if you break that code, there's really no way to have any self respect, and if you lose that, whats the point of anything.

In any case, I know right now I am in that place, but I think it was clear, I fully accept that in the future, you never know.

This is right, regardless of a person's beliefs. It's highley admirable. I believe most people aspire to act like that but It makes no logical sense.

Everything in our media and society place getting money and possibly giving things to your offspring if "that bitch didn't take them away and is spending to much on clothes and whoring around." And as the number gets bigger, it makes it more difficult to avoid, "Well... what if? Maybe I could take just some.." Etc. all kinds of temptations.

Thread jack to dead beat dads. Most of those guys are not trying to hurt their own kids but they justify not sending them their "hard earned money" because they percieve being wronged by the kid's mother.

Sorry got to do another quote I believe is true regardless of what we believe, even though I know it as a bible statement. However to help with my point that it doesn't belong to "Christians" or any church, check out the link I found for it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... at+you+sow
Corporal 2dimes

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm

KoolBak wrote:And as to the title of the thread....there's a dude that lives near my youngest's school and is always out walking / hanging out. He is special.....many of the parents complain / worry about him......he is super nice, happy, harmless.....I've become his friend and into'ed him to many of the naysayers at school.....amazing how suspicious people are....

Yeah, it's tough in the modern Urban enviroment. You watch the news and everyone's getting murdered and robbed all over the place.

This guy that caused the start of the thread. Initially I was going to ignore him and mind my own business. I'm so glad I let my guard down and interacted with him. He was just being friendly and happy.

It was in the East side of town where my parents live and very near streets that have gangs hookers and some drug trade.

My mom was being whiny and even said after we left. "Why were you doing that? You shouldn't be talking to strangers. What if he took out a knife and stabbed us?" I told her, "He was trying to be friendly. He's just got metal issues like you. Except he's happy, relax."

My mom by the way is normal for the most part but has issues with depression/anxiety attacks. She actually changed her opinion of what I was doing when I explained it to her that way.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby ghostly447 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

With the whole debate on if you could give the man his winnings, etc, I am surprised that I did not once come across the word "Karma". Im new to the forums so I dont know if the posters in here just dont believe in such a thing, or what, but personally I do. So with that said, a large sum would be difficult to resist, but I believe that the right thing is always the answer. Honestly, maybe believing there is Karma is my mistake because not too much good has come out of me working tirelessly to help friends with their high school anxiety, etc, where they feel like they just arent worth it, etc and I end up talking to them. Back on track. Though it would be difficult to resist, I just feel I would be a hypocrite to take it because I only go by a couple rules. Respect, and Anti-Hypocracy. So to go against either (must less, by taking the money, both) would, in my opinion, break the only 2 real moral codes I live by, and that is not something I look to do.

On a related note, the life styles class at my school has quite a few friendly people that I occasionally talk to when I see them in the halls, and I had the (I say funny because it put the biggest smile on my face) opportunity to actually give one of them a high five as I passed them on a walkway. I dont see them as any different, just slightly less intellectual which does not effect their emotion (besides giving them a nice smile all the time). And I dont mean "Them" as in, lets classify them! I mean it as in the mentally challenged I have met in the past.
Cadet ghostly447

Re:

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:05 pm

2dimes wrote:
KoolBak wrote: It is not the "christian" thing to do, it's the RIGHT thing to do.....basic morals have been around longer than 2000 years.....lol

This is absolutely true. I'm sorry I brought "Christian" into the thread but I just felt a strong need to mention the fact that. Yeshua's teachings are all about the right thing being the right thing, even when it makes no sense. "Love your enemy?" Come one man!
They were, are and allways will be things for everyone, not just the people that go to a church to be good.

I'm not saying no good people go to church but I have seen some really messed up things come from people that lead churches. Some of them were actually really great guys that I still feel bad for because they just made mistakes. Which leads me to this.

Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.

Sort of but the fact is. I do desire greatly to do the right thing. I also have to be honest at least with myself that I'm human.
Insert corney song that can say things better than I can.
Human League wrote: I'm only human of flesh and blood I'm made... Human, born to make mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2X5PolerA

AAFitz wrote:Well, no doubt, but I don't think its the number that is the biggest determinant but the combination of factors.

This is right, regardless of a person's beliefs. It's highley admirable. I believe most people aspire to act like that but It makes no logical sense.

Everything in our media and society place getting money and possibly giving things to your offspring if "that bitch didn't take them away and is spending to much on clothes and whoring around." And as the number gets bigger, it makes it more difficult to avoid, "Well... what if? Maybe I could take just some.." Etc. all kinds of temptations.

Thread jack to dead beat dads. Most of those guys are not trying to hurt their own kids but they justify not sending them their "hard earned money" because they percieve being wronged by the kid's mother.

Sorry got to do another quote I believe is true regardless of what we believe, even though I know it as a bible statement. However to help with my point that it doesn't belong to "Christians" or any church, check out the link I found for it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... at+you+sow

Not doing enough, is completely different from stealing except at the more extreme levels. We all fail ones we love in some way, but that doesnt mean we would all go out and rip of a kid just because they were ...differently abled.

Though that does present an interesting dilemma...at what point is it ok to take advantage of someone? Personally, I dont think it ever is, but I know that is as common a belief as it should be. I just happen to believe in fair business practices with everyone on board. I feel that if you start cheating people, even a little, you have changed your entire job to that of thief, and might as well start breaking into houses and stealing stuff.

I realize many dont care where the money comes from at all, and Ive certainly met enough to know thats true, but hopefully the majority would stop at stealing lottery money from a guy who had a birth defect or injury, just because they could.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

I am really enjoying your posts today.

I think not doing enough if it's easy and wouldn't take much is kind of like taking advantage of someone or stealing money or even an object.

Failing our loved ones, friends or just aquantances is not the same because you probably wanted to help but just couldn't for whatever reason. That's not the same choice.

As far as "many don't care where the money comes from..." I think and have heard of some that are just plain bad people. My buddy was dating a girl. Her uncle beat his dad to death. I don't know if the death part was accidental since the father was frail and elderly. My buddy was more appalled then me asking, "Don't you think that's messed up. Would you do that?" and his point is valid. What kind of guy hits his frail old parent? I was and kind of less right now while typing it out wondering if the parenting was a factor. Still if the dad was that old, there must have been issues for the son to do that. I'm getting nowhere and sorry.

Point there's some reall bad people that would harm those they should charish. An aquaintence or stranger has no chance with that sort of person.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 pm

ghostly447 wrote:With the whole debate on if you could give the man his winnings, etc, I am surprised that I did not once come across the word "Karma". Im new to the forums so I dont know if the posters in here just dont believe in such a thing, or what, but personally I do. So with that said, a large sum would be difficult to resist, but I believe that the right thing is always the answer. Honestly, maybe believing there is Karma is my mistake because not too much good has come out of me working tirelessly to help friends with their high school anxiety, etc, where they feel like they just arent worth it, etc and I end up talking to them. Back on track. Though it would be difficult to resist, I just feel I would be a hypocrite to take it because I only go by a couple rules. Respect, and Anti-Hypocracy. So to go against either (must less, by taking the money, both) would, in my opinion, break the only 2 real moral codes I live by, and that is not something I look to do.

On a related note, the life styles class at my school has quite a few friendly people that I occasionally talk to when I see them in the halls, and I had the (I say funny because it put the biggest smile on my face) opportunity to actually give one of them a high five as I passed them on a walkway. I dont see them as any different, just slightly less intellectual which does not effect their emotion (besides giving them a nice smile all the time). And I dont mean "Them" as in, lets classify them! I mean it as in the mentally challenged I have met in the past.

The rule of Hypos is a dangerous thing. :P

I don't believe in karma because it's a concept which is fueled by your own selective perception, or rather confirmation bias. Nevertheless, karma acts as a self-regulating enforcer which probably induces good moral behavior for the user on average. If that's the case, then karma is fine with me.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Not doing enough, is completely different from stealing except at the more extreme levels. We all fail ones we love in some way, but that doesnt mean we would all go out and rip of a kid just because they were ...differently abled.

Though that does present an interesting dilemma...at what point is it ok to take advantage of someone?

WHEN TEHY'RE DRUNK!!!

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Actual Karma (sp?) is pretty complex and would take a westerner years to start thinking in a way that would let them start to understand it...
Corporal 2dimes

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
ghostly447 wrote:With the whole debate on if you could give the man his winnings, etc, I am surprised that I did not once come across the word "Karma". Im new to the forums so I dont know if the posters in here just dont believe in such a thing, or what, but personally I do. So with that said, a large sum would be difficult to resist, but I believe that the right thing is always the answer. Honestly, maybe believing there is Karma is my mistake because not too much good has come out of me working tirelessly to help friends with their high school anxiety, etc, where they feel like they just arent worth it, etc and I end up talking to them. Back on track. Though it would be difficult to resist, I just feel I would be a hypocrite to take it because I only go by a couple rules. Respect, and Anti-Hypocracy. So to go against either (must less, by taking the money, both) would, in my opinion, break the only 2 real moral codes I live by, and that is not something I look to do.

The rule of Hypos is a dangerous thing. :P

I don't believe in karma because it's a concept which is fueled by your own selective perception, or rather confirmation bias. Nevertheless, karma acts as a self-regulating enforcer which probably induces good moral behavior for the user on average. If that's the case, then karma is fine with me.

Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.

If you yell at someone for cutting in front of you, your blood pressure goes up, you shorten your life, or you become distracted, you get into an accident, or long term, just get more used to angry outbursts, and lose jobs, relationships and end up in the gutter.

If you let it go, and waved them in, your blood pressure stabilized, you were more focused on driving, you avoided an accident, you were less likely to have an outburst with your wife, and your boss, so your life is better, because of every little choice like that you made.

On the other hand, you could have let them in and got rear ended by a semi, so who really knows. :D
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby john9blue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I am still at the point in my life where I know, no matter what he won, Id have insured that he got his proper winnings, and I hope that never changes.

it's very easy to say this hypothetically on an anonymous online forum. but i think everyone has their breaking point, a certain amount of money where they would try to scam the guy out of his tickets just so they could get it instead.

Well, some of us hold our Christian Values higher than others I guess. Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.

not sure why you think i'm some kind of hardcore christian... but at least you acknowledge that christianity's influence on our society's ethics was enough to teach you right and wrong.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby KoolBak on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Who teaches, say, the majority of the Chinese right and wrong?
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

KoolBak wrote:Who teaches, say, the majority of the Chinese right and wrong?

Their parents.

I'm not sure you're farmiliar with a few of the so called "human rights" issues over there.

I'm reasonably sure if I was at a restaurant there I wouldn't have seen the guy from the OP. My brother Bilbo, we keep him in a cage, yes.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby AAFitz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:17 pm

john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:

Well, some of us hold our Christian Values higher than others I guess. Its sad to see an actual believer, that doesn't even trust himself.

not sure why you think i'm some kind of hardcore christian... but at least you acknowledge that christianity's influence on our society's ethics was enough to teach you right and wrong.

Oh, so you dont believe in Christs teachings, and you would be fine from stealing from a handicapped person?

If I misjudged your belief in God, than I apologize. I didnt realize you were an atheist.
Too much. I know.

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Edit: fixed player like quotes. Twice. :oops:
AAFitz wrote:Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.

I find generally things for sure comeback on you. It might just be the fact that if you're a dick people are going to at best try to avoid you.

If you're a decent person people will be empathetic and want to help you out.

If I won the lotto myself I'd totally buy that guy whoppers everytime I see him. It's fun to buy people lunch, especially someone that's nice and friendly.
Last edited by 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby john9blue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm

AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:

Oh, so you dont believe in Christs teachings, and you would be fine from stealing from a handicapped person?

If I misjudged your belief in God, than I apologize. I didnt realize you were an atheist.

so anyone who doesn't believe in christ's teachings is an atheist?

sounds to me like more proof that you're a disgruntled 18 year old who was raised by terrible christian parents and wants to rebel.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm

2dimes wrote:Edit: fixed player like quotes. Twice. :oops:
AAFitz wrote:Thats my exact thoughts on Karma. I dont believe there is any outside force keeping everything balanced, but that the belief that every action you make will in some way affect you at some point.

I find generally things for sure comeback on you. It might just be the fact that if you're a dick people are going to at best try to avoid you.

If you're a decent person people will be empathetic and want to help you out.

If I won the lotto myself I'd totally buy that guy whoppers everytime I see him. It's fun to buy people lunch, especially someone that's nice and friendly.

Aw shucks, that's AAFitz, not me.

RE: your post, I'd view that as the (un)intended consequences of one's actions as well as others--but this in no way provides evidence of karma.*

*note: we may be using different definitions of karma.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't claim to know Karma. It's very complex and has to do with re-encarnation. I'll start screwing up an explaination of how it works to explain something I was reading about it a while ago.

Everything is your Karma, an individual action will effect your next action thus diluting and magnifying that action at the same time...

Not being able to spell individual may or may not affect my Karma. Basically I don't know enough about actual Karma to say wether or not I believe in parts of it. I don't believe in re-encarnation though I like to consider the concept sometimes. So I can't understand it even if I do try to learn more about it.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm

2dimes wrote:I don't claim to know Karma. It's very complex and has to do with re-encarnation. I'll start screwing up an explaination of how it works to explain somehthing I was reading about it a while ago.

Everything is your Karma, an individual action will effect your next action thus diluting and magnifying that action at the same time...

Not being able to spell individual may or may not affect my Karma. Basically I don't know enough about actual Karma to say wether or not I believe in parts of it. I don't believe in re-encarnation though I like to consider the concept sometimes. So I can't understand it even if I do try to learn more about it.

Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D

As long as we're both allowed to change our minds I like it.
I'm even ok with you calling me names like that if you can't understand Christians disagree with me more often than Atheists.

Do you want to go for some Whoppers if we're in the same area?
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

2dimes wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Here's a plan. I'll stick with atheism + other stuff, and you stick with christianity + other stuff. How's that? :D

As long as we're both allowed to change our minds I like it.
I'm even ok with you calling me names like that if you can't understand Christians disagree with me more often than Atheists.

Do you want to go for some Whoppers if we're in the same area?

Whoppers?

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby 2dimes on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:07 am

Love that show. First time I saw that scene I nearly wet myself.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of flame broiled goodness with tomatoes, pickles and stuff.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 am

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Re:

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 am

2dimes wrote:Actual Karma (sp?) is pretty complex and would take a westerner years to start thinking in a way that would let them start to understand it...

I think westerners can understand Karma by making a cocktail out of these two:
"Cast your bread upon the waters"
"What goes around comes around".
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,