Conquer Club

Finally Some News

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Finally Some News: The Beginning

Postby rishaed on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm

sry for the double post, but I didn't even notice we had ads until i read this thread :oops:. IMO it doesn't interfere with gameplay/quality of the site atm, so I'll give it a current stamp, of between "I can live with it" and "Go ahead, get money for things I don't notice".
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby hulmey on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Thank God I have google AD block ;)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Gilligan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 pm

hulmey wrote:Thank God I have google AD block ;)

aka, premium membership. ;)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Vlasov on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Why should Platinum be the highest, rarest metal -- beyond gold?
The choices for color of the metal/medal are limited, but why not Uranium? It is certainly connected with warfare in the 20th-21st century.
Make it purple or deep blue -- a la Cerenkov radiation.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby Swifte on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Vlasov wrote:Why should Platinum be the highest, rarest metal -- beyond gold?
The choices for color of the metal/medal are limited, but why not Uranium? It is certainly connected with warfare in the 20th-21st century.
Make it purple or deep blue -- a la Cerenkov radiation.

The new medals aren't called platinum. they're Diamond.

rdsrds2120 wrote:Also, why is everyone calling it platinum? ;)

BMO
Colonel Swifte

Postby Vlasov on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Okay,well, some people said Platinum. After viewing that video, I am convinced that it is ****Diamond**** compressed from elemental carbon by extreme pressure in the interior of planets, and/or generated inside collapsing first-generation novas, like all the other higher nucleonic elements we see today. Rihanna rocks, BTW.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby b00060 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:08 pm

1000 Seems more realistic since it requires unique defeats.
Major b00060

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:Screen shot of ad

Is that just an example ad or a real ad? If it's a real ad, it's not very well executed. You can't even tell what it's advertising.

Not CC's problem.

CC is advertising exactly what the advertiser is giving them, I would assume.

Actually, it is CC's problem. From a user standpoint, its a bad experience. Consider that many freemiums are brand-new to the site and are checking things out before deciding to pay premium. Not only do the ads give a poor first impression, but there is nothing indicating that a premium account would eliminate the advertisements.

Furthermore, because these ads are purposely created to cause confusion, it appears to new gamers as if the ads are referring to Conquer Club itself. CC is setting themselves up to lose customers who click on these ads and end up joining a completely different game site.

Imagine how this would appear to a new player to the site, sitting just above your game:

Its confusing and misguided and I guarantee its going to bite CC in the ass in the long run.

And as others have noted, re: "slippery slope" - its only a matter of time before the forums are littered with ads as well.
Last edited by lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Robespierre__ wrote:I'm sorry ... am I reading Freemium players voicing an opinion on how this site should be run? Players who are not even willing to support the site with what is an insanely small amount of money for anyone not living in poverty?

Enjoy snacking off of what others are paying for and for the most part, keep your opinion to yourself.

As always, thank you so very much to all the programmers and volunteers who make this site what it is.

Robes

All Freemiums are not created equal. I've been a paying member of this site for over 5 years. Only recently did my premium expire and as I am extremely busy with work lately and unable to take more than a few turns right now, I have little incentive to re-up at the moment.

Does that mean my opinion is invalid? No matter that I've contributed a map and several tournaments to this site? I only get to share my thoughts with money?

Its extremely shortsighted to dismiss the opinions of freemiums regardless of their reasons. Many of these people could be providing important feedback to the site as to a) why they don't pay and b) what would encourage them to do so. Understanding your audience and what they want is Business 101.

But instead of doing that and trying to improve, CC just slaps some poorly thought-out ads on the game - which makes the site look even cheaper and out of touch than it already does (seriously - will this site ever get a decent makeover? It has looked out-dated for a long time).

As someone who works in search & display marketing, there is a right way and a wrong way. This falls squarely on the latter. Just another in a series of bad decisions in what is a tragically mis-managed business.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Vlasov on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 pm

All players are created equal. You pay, or you don't pay. If you want to play more games, you pay for it. It's simple. I don't see why occasional pop-op ads should be a problem, as long as they don't pop up every turn. I DO see a problem if advertisements are slapped on poorly, as Lostatlimbo said.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby chapcrap on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Gillipig wrote:
QuikSilver wrote:
betiko wrote:1500?? why set it at an almost impossible mark.. so 20-100-400-1500... I thought that more logically it would be 1000 or 1200.. and is it 200 for crossmap?

Lol i'm already at 2300...

It's not almost impossible, and it's platinum for a reason!

Actually, for some reason they've decided to call it "Diamond". It sure looks more like a medal for platinum.

It's because platinum looked too close to silver.

b00060 wrote:1000 Seems more realistic since it requires unique defeats.

1500 was only for ratings.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby bedub1 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

<Removed>
Last edited by bedub1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel bedub1

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 pm

Just a note to those free players out there: please consider disabling Ad Block for this domain. We make a pretty fun community and gaming experience available for free to many thousands of people, and allowing the (relatively unobtrusive) ads to be displayed allows you to give back to your community without paying your own money for it.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby EBConquer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 am

Thank you guys for the updates! Diamond or Platinum... i don't really care. just glad to see progress. =D>
Colonel EBConquer

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

Just a note to those free players out there: please consider disabling Ad Block for this domain. We make a pretty fun community and gaming experience available for free to many thousands of people, and allowing the (relatively unobtrusive) ads to be displayed allows you to give back to your community without paying your own money for it.

any freemium with adblock on should be CC blocked.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

I always run adblock, and if I were freemium, I definitely wouldn't change it. I'd probably get adblock just to not see the advertisement. I care more about my own computer than I care about this site, and so should everyone. I didn't know lojalty to this site meant exposing yourself to the risk of getting malware.

The ad is probably made to look confusing, so that players won't know if it's an ad or part of a site function.
I don't think you'll see many experienced freemiums care about this ad, they know it's an ad and won't click it, if they're annoyed by it they get adblock. New players probably will click it however, and there's a big chance they'll dismiss the site as a cheap and dangerous. Like somebody pointed out, they don't necessarily know this goes away if they buy premium. And if they're just trying the site out, a thing like that might turn them away from visiting again.

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

Is that just an example ad or a real ad? If it's a real ad, it's not very well executed. You can't even tell what it's advertising.

Not CC's problem.

+1

BMO

That is ridiculous!! Very short sighted and narrow minded to think that the ads a site puts up won't affect the site. Obviously it's in the site's best interest not to have confusing ads that players click on without even knowing it's an ad.

*Sigh*, the things you have to tell some people.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby hulmey on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 am

lostatlimbo wrote:
Robespierre__ wrote:I'm sorry ... am I reading Freemium players voicing an opinion on how this site should be run? Players who are not even willing to support the site with what is an insanely small amount of money for anyone not living in poverty?

Enjoy snacking off of what others are paying for and for the most part, keep your opinion to yourself.

As always, thank you so very much to all the programmers and volunteers who make this site what it is.

Robes

All Freemiums are not created equal. I've been a paying member of this site for over 5 years. Only recently did my premium expire and as I am extremely busy with work lately and unable to take more than a few turns right now, I have little incentive to re-up at the moment.

Does that mean my opinion is invalid? No matter that I've contributed a map and several tournaments to this site? I only get to share my thoughts with money?

Its extremely shortsighted to dismiss the opinions of freemiums regardless of their reasons. Many of these people could be providing important feedback to the site as to a) why they don't pay and b) what would encourage them to do so. Understanding your audience and what they want is Business 101.

But instead of doing that and trying to improve, CC just slaps some poorly thought-out ads on the game - which makes the site look even cheaper and out of touch than it already does (seriously - will this site ever get a decent makeover? It has looked out-dated for a long time).

As someone who works in search & display marketing, there is a right way and a wrong way. This falls squarely on the latter. Just another in a series of bad decisions in what is a tragically mis-managed business.

Here here and Thank you for contributing in more ways than money.
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby hulmey on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 am

Gillipig wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I always run adblock, and if I were freemium, I definitely wouldn't change it. I'd probably get adblock just to not see the advertisement. I care more about my own computer than I care about this site, and so should everyone. I didn't know lojalty to this site meant exposing yourself to the risk of getting malware.

The ad is probably made to look confusing, so that players won't know if it's an ad or part of a site function.
I don't think you'll see many experienced freemiums care about this ad, they know it's an ad and won't click it, if they're annoyed by it they get adblock. New players probably will click it however, and there's a big chance they'll dismiss the site as a cheap and dangerous. Like somebody pointed out, they don't necessarily know this goes away if they buy premium. And if they're just trying the site out, a thing like that might turn them away from visiting again.

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

Not CC's problem.

+1

BMO

That is ridiculous!! Very short sighted and narrow minded to think that the ads a site puts up won't affect the site. Obviously it's in the site's best interest not to have confusing ads that players click on without even knowing it's an ad.

*Sigh*, the things you have to tell some people.

Maybe they could only place ads for players that are no longer new or at the very least not place confusing ads that try and trick you into clicking play.
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby General Bax on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am

what about battle royal winner's medal?
Sergeant 1st Class General Bax

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 am

Gillipig wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

There is zero risk of getting exposed to malware from text or static image ads. That might only happen if the ads were, say, loading some Javascript. That is not what is happening here.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby blakebowling on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

There is zero risk of getting exposed to malware from text or static image ads. That might only happen if the ads were, say, loading some Javascript. That is not what is happening here.

Technically, the user could click on a bad link, and ignorantly expose themselves to malware. However, I agree that it isn't happening here directly.
Private blakebowling

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

Of course the ad links to another site. That ad is not just text or images like you thought. What made you think that? What sort of company would place ads on a website without providing links to the website they want you to visit?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Bernoulli on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am

I would suggest putting the ads on the top right corner of web pages. It appears they are currently right above the game maps which looks very distracting & tacky to me.

And also you ought to mention "no more advertisements" among the incentives listed in the Upgrade page so that users can see that these ads will go away upon subscribing.
Lieutenant Bernoulli

Postby Mageplunka69 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am

betiko wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The medals are super high for a reason -- to truly reward the longevity players. They're not supposed to be easily farmed, and filling out your profile with those medals would be truly, truly fantastic! Players with those medals would be known as the cream of the crop for the respective setting. :)

BMO

no one will ever get the teammate medal for example, or maybe in 10 years time and I doubt anyone will be consistent on the site for another 10 years.
Also you haven't revealed the info for the crossmap, is it 200 indeed?

speak for yourself
Captain Mageplunka69

Postby Bones2484 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:37 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:All Freemiums are not created equal. I've been a paying member of this site for over 5 years. Only recently did my premium expire and as I am extremely busy with work lately and unable to take more than a few turns right now, I have little incentive to re-up at the moment.

Amen.

I can easily ignore the ads, though I do agree about it making the site look even more cheap. My issue is with certain people in this thread lumping all freemiums into one bucket when there are a few of us who have contributed more (time AND money) into this site than most of the premiums.

Metsfanmax wrote:

This isn't how Adsense works. To make money off Adsense, someone needs to actually click an add. Simply keeping them displayed does nothing to "give back to your community".
Major Bones2484

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives