Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby aage on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:23 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:
betiko wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:Yeah that.

But secondary weapon seems about moot to me, unless it's some chicken who uses the plasma pistol to disable your vehicle. Me, I like hi-jacking or using plasma grenades. Stopped a few killing sprees by flanking them and tossing my 2 plasmas. Very handy.

I hate the plasma pistol!
I usually use packages with fire power to have the assault rifle and the DMR. I love the promethean vision as a special skill too.

I like the sentry. Good at holding areas that get lots of traffic, extra fire support, and useful for flanking.

Awareness is one of the better ones imho, specifically in tunnel maps which I don't know (as in, I don't know the map) because I played every map about five times now. I hate getting sneaked up on. I suppose fire power is useful if you bypass the awareness-necessity.

And yes, Prom vision is good.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 pm

aage wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:
betiko wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:Yeah that.

But secondary weapon seems about moot to me, unless it's some chicken who uses the plasma pistol to disable your vehicle. Me, I like hi-jacking or using plasma grenades. Stopped a few killing sprees by flanking them and tossing my 2 plasmas. Very handy.

I hate the plasma pistol!
I usually use packages with fire power to have the assault rifle and the DMR. I love the promethean vision as a special skill too.

I like the sentry. Good at holding areas that get lots of traffic, extra fire support, and useful for flanking.

Awareness is one of the better ones imho, specifically in tunnel maps which I don't know (as in, I don't know the map) because I played every map about five times now. I hate getting sneaked up on. I suppose fire power is useful if you bypass the awareness-necessity.

And yes, Prom vision is good.

I forget to use it, but I have an upgrade that keeps my enemy/friendly radar thing up even while scoped. Saved me moe than once from a fully speeding ghost.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 am

I pre-ordered Fire Emblem: Awakening (console + game bundle). It was released today, can't wait to go grab my new and fancy 3DS:

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Playing Europa Universalis 3 again. What a great game. So many possibilities.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Playing Europa Universalis 3 again. What a great game. So many possibilities.

TGD, I heard about this game long ago, but never got into it. What do you like about it the most? What makes it worth playing? I looked at a couple of snapshots on Google Image, and it seems kind of interesting.

I have heard more about Crusader Kings II, and it kind of looks like something I want to throw money at...

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MoB Deadly on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Anyone play Black Ops 2.....???

Correction: anyone GOOD at Black ops 2?

PM ME
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby Nendreel on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I pre-ordered Fire Emblem: Awakening (console + game bundle). It was released today, can't wait to go grab my new and fancy 3DS

Lucky. I went to three different stores looking for FE today. All were sold out. :cry:
Sergeant Nendreel

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Nendreel wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:I pre-ordered Fire Emblem: Awakening (console + game bundle). It was released today, can't wait to go grab my new and fancy 3DS

Lucky. I went to three different stores looking for FE today. All were sold out. :cry:

Amazon looks like it might have to be your friend here.

BMO

Postby Nendreel on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Nendreel wrote:

Amazon looks like it might have to be your friend here.

BMO

Already looked. Amazon itself is sold out until the 13th, and other sellers are doubling the price.
Looks like I'll have to buy it from the E-Shop.
Sergeant Nendreel

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

So I purchased Crusader Kings II, plus some DLC that opens up Islamic empires for play as well. I've never really played an immense grand-strategy game, but I've been liking it quite a bit so far.

In the game I have going, I am the King of Scotland (about 17 years old, this is the 3rd king I've had control of), and the year is about 1100. England is in disarray because of viking invasions and squabbling among dukes and counts, and Ireland is segmented into independent counties.

So they both look ripe for expansion, if I can sure up some of my internal politics, since some of my vassals are revolting either to place an older dude on the throne or to forge an independent duchy for themselves. But I've put down their rebellions pretty well...but some alliances I've made with a few Spanish Kings aren't going so well, they want to see me assassinated I think, according to my spy master.

Did I mention I've had a bit of a falling out with the Catholic church as well? They liked my predecessors reasonably well, but my envoy to the Pope isn't doing very well ingratiating himself and our kingdom with the papacy, and of course, I've changed the laws to Free Investiture so I can install Bishops and Archbishops, instead of having Rome choose 'em. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I elevated my court chaplain to AntiPope status, and he openly contested the legitimacy of the Pope in Rome. But he ended up being a Cathar Heretic, so I just threw him in jail to rot, in hopes of smoothing things over with the Pope. Maybe I'll go on a crusade or something to make him feel better.

Pretty fun sandboxey game so far, and I've only been playing for like 40 game years, and I've got another 300 some years ahead of me.

show: Screenshots, though not of my game, of the game

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 am

AndyDufresne wrote:So I purchased Crusader Kings II, plus some DLC that opens up Islamic empires for play as well. I've never really played an immense grand-strategy game, but I've been liking it quite a bit so far.

In the game I have going, I am the King of Scotland (about 17 years old, this is the 3rd king I've had control of), and the year is about 1100. England is in disarray because of viking invasions and squabbling among dukes and counts, and Ireland is segmented into independent counties.

So they both look ripe for expansion, if I can sure up some of my internal politics, since some of my vassals are revolting either to place an older dude on the throne or to forge an independent duchy for themselves. But I've put down their rebellions pretty well...but some alliances I've made with a few Spanish Kings aren't going so well, they want to see me assassinated I think, according to my spy master.

Did I mention I've had a bit of a falling out with the Catholic church as well? They liked my predecessors reasonably well, but my envoy to the Pope isn't doing very well ingratiating himself and our kingdom with the papacy, and of course, I've changed the laws to Free Investiture so I can install Bishops and Archbishops, instead of having Rome choose 'em. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I elevated my court chaplain to AntiPope status, and he openly contested the legitimacy of the Pope in Rome. But he ended up being a Cathar Heretic, so I just threw him in jail to rot, in hopes of smoothing things over with the Pope. Maybe I'll go on a crusade or something to make him feel better.

Pretty fun sandboxey game so far, and I've only been playing for like 40 game years, and I've got another 300 some years ahead of me.

show: Screenshots, though not of my game, of the game

--Andy

Sounds fun actually. You're tempting me a bit now. I don't have time to pick up a new time eating game now though. Reading the third book in the game of thrones series took more time than I had to spare. I'm supposed to be studiying you know ;). But in the future I might have the time. Can you play as Vikings as well? What time are we talking of here? When is the earliest you can start from?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 am

The game's dates are from 1066 to something in the 1400s. The game's time can be sped up and slowed down, a la the Sims or Sim City type games if you've played those.

I understand that Vikings are going to be playable in a forthcoming DLC (somewhere between 4-9 dollars probably), and maybe some of the other Pagan groups in the Baltics and into Russia are going to be as well. I'll end up getting it.

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The game's dates are from 1066 to something in the 1400s. The game's time can be sped up and slowed down, a la the Sims or Sim City type games if you've played those.

I understand that Vikings are going to be playable in a forthcoming DLC (somewhere between 4-9 dollars probably), and maybe some of the other Pagan groups in the Baltics and into Russia are going to be as well. I'll end up getting it.

--Andy

But as of now you can't play as Vikings. Which civilzations can you play as? No earlier than 1066? That was just the year the Vikings officially lost control of the British Islands. Seems like Vikings are the enemy in this game. I don't think this game is geared towards a scandinavian market lol.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Gillipig wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:The game's dates are from 1066 to something in the 1400s. The game's time can be sped up and slowed down, a la the Sims or Sim City type games if you've played those.

--Andy

But as of now you can't play as Vikings. Which civilzations can you play as? No earlier than 1066? That was just the year the Vikings officially lost control of the British Islands. Seems like Vikings are the enemy in this game. I don't think this game is geared towards a scandinavian market lol.

Pretty much everyone is the enemy in this game.

You have different levels of play you can choose to start from (more difficult to work your way up if you start lower, but if you start really big as well, you have a lot of manage from the get go). There are some "Empires," like the Holy Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, and some Islamic empires with the DLC, then there are "Kingdoms" like my Scotland, or Poland, or France, Hungary, Norway, or Sweden, the Danes, or Leon in the Iberia Peninsula, or a Russian ethnic group off in the east, etc, and then there is a level below that where you could start out with a "Duchy" or collection of Counties, like Bohemia in the Holy Roman Empire, and then there is a level where you could start out with a single County, like say Tuscanny for instance.

The Viking DLC I think will have an earlier start date in the 800's. It is called Old Gods or something if you want to google and read about it.

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

--Andy

Pretty much everyone is the enemy in this game.

You have different levels of play you can choose to start from (more difficult to work your way up if you start lower, but if you start really big as well, you have a lot of manage from the get go). There are some "Empires," like the Holy Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, and some Islamic empires with the DLC, then there are "Kingdoms" like my Scotland, or Poland, or France, Hungary, Norway, or Sweden, the Danes, or Leon in the Iberia Peninsula, or a Russian ethnic group off in the east, etc, and then there is a level below that where you could start out with a "Duchy" or collection of Counties, like Bohemia in the Holy Roman Empire, and then there is a level where you could start out with a single County, like say Tuscanny for instance.

The Viking DLC I think will have an earlier start date in the 800's. It is called Old Gods or something if you want to google and read about it.

--Andy

Wait, there's a country called Sweden in 1066?? That was news for me, what historians did they consult when they made this game? lol (not expecting you to answer for that Andy ;))
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:26 pm

From the looks of it, it looks pretty accurate in all respect, so it is probably more that I've miss-communicated something. In any case, look into it. There is a Demo on Steam, but you only get to play as like the Polish Empire (or a smaller duchy or something), and only for 20 game years. But I played the demo a few times to see if it was interesting. I also watched a couple of "Lets Play" videos on youtube where this Australian guy who was just getting into the game was trying things out.

--Andy

Postby Pedronicus on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm

zynga poker on facebook. jesus h christ! if you think the dice on cc are unbelievable - the hands that get get served up on that game are a fucking joke.

PLus you can't raise people pre flop to fold all sorts of crappy hands....
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:40 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:From the looks of it, it looks pretty accurate in all respect, so it is probably more that I've miss-communicated something. In any case, look into it. There is a Demo on Steam, but you only get to play as like the Polish Empire (or a smaller duchy or something), and only for 20 game years. But I played the demo a few times to see if it was interesting. I also watched a couple of "Lets Play" videos on youtube where this Australian guy who was just getting into the game was trying things out.

--Andy

Well there's no exact date for the foundation of Sweden but most scholars will tell you around the year 1300, some will even say in the beginning of 1500, the most lenient ones will say around 1200. But at 1066 there was definitely no country called Sweden. If the game says there is then it's inaccurate. The game sounds like a lot of fun, it's best if they try to make it as historically accurate as possible though. Speaking of these types of games. Have you played a game called "Braveheart"? It's based on the movie with the same name. A very old game, made in 1997 I think. There was also this struggle for supremacy in that game. The goal of the game was to liberate Scotland from England, but it was the fist stage of the game when you tried to unite the scottish clans, (either through warfare or diplomacy, or something in between) that was really fun.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Try out the demo, and you can check the historical accuracies (or not). Haven't played Braveheart though.

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Not sure I dare at this point, I don't want to get bitten by it ;). Some other time perhaps. If I ask you what the name of that game was I wanted to play, maybe you can remind me :).
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Try out the demo, and you can check the historical accuracies (or not). Haven't played Braveheart though.

--Andy

Have you tried Hearts of Iron, Victoria, or Europa Universalis yet? Same designers.

I think there is some mod that lets you start in Crusder Kings then to Europa Universalis then to Victoria then to Hearts of Iron, but I'm too much of a wimp to try that.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Try out the demo, and you can check the historical accuracies (or not). Haven't played Braveheart though.

--Andy

Have you tried Hearts of Iron, Victoria, or Europa Universalis yet? Same designers.

I think there is some mod that lets you start in Crusder Kings then to Europa Universalis then to Victoria then to Hearts of Iron, but I'm too much of a wimp to try that.

Haven't tried those, but since you mentioned Europa Universalis a few posts ago, I stumbled into their games and read reviews on CK2 and watched some youtube "Lets Play" videos about it, and played their demo, and it roped me in pretty well.

--Andy

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

AndyDufresne wrote:So I purchased Crusader Kings II, plus some DLC that opens up Islamic empires for play as well. I've never really played an immense grand-strategy game, but I've been liking it quite a bit so far.

Here's an update. The Church in Rome still hates me, because of the whole AntiPope thing. My relations with other Catholic nations has also taken a hit as well. However, on the homefront, all my rebellions were put down and my Scottish King, who has a few notable traits like "Ugly, stutter, maimed, and brilliant strategist" (go figure) was leading a charge across the Sea of Gallway in the Ulster county of Ireland to claim it under his crown. Unfortunately, after sieging a city, he became ill and died!

Which wasn't so good, since his eldest son was 6 at the time, and a weak child on the throne doesn't bode well. I now transition to playing as my 6 year old son...and my uncle (so the king's brother) takes the opportunity to usurp the crown from me in a civil war with some other vassals and counts. Try as I did, even with a large contingent of Breton mercenaries, I lost the civil war. He did not throw me in jail though, perhaps out of compassion to his kin. So slowly, as I grew older I reinforced my garrison and personal army levies, until I was old enough to lead a battle. Like my father, I was an ugly, diligent, warrior, and still a Duke who owned a few counties. Another uncle of mine, who still had a good opinion of me, was vying for the throne himself, so I threw all my weight and armies behind his faction, and we started a civil war to put him on the throne (he had less children for me to eventually assassinate, was my thinking, so I could ascend to throne eventually again).

Our civil war successful, and my other uncle....King Macbeth, was now King of Scotland. Since I was an excellent warrior, and an initial backer of his faction, he gave me the Marshal position on his Council, where I could get stronger and keep close to him and improve his opinion of me in his wars with England. I plotted with some other vassals and counts to kill his son, so I would be the next in line of succession. And things were going so well...until a very powerful, but problematic drunkard, who I invited to my plot spilled the beans. The King and his vassals have lost their respect for me. And there I ended for now.

Pretty sure my next plans are, since everything is out in the open about the assassination plot, is to both try to assassinate the king fast with a somewhat haphazard-low chance attempt, and then commit to civil war since my armies are pretty strong, my prestige is up, my coffers are full, and I've been slowly improving relations with the Danes across the sea, in hopes they'll support my effort.

So as not to clog this thread, I'll put further updates in the Longest Thread, Thread.

--Andy

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm

I've picked up a nifty little amazingly frustrating Indie game called Antichamber.

Here's a gameplay video:

BMO

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

Here's an update. The Church in Rome still hates me, because of the whole AntiPope thing. My relations with other Catholic nations has also taken a hit as well. However, on the homefront, all my rebellions were put down and my Scottish King, who has a few notable traits like "Ugly, stutter, maimed, and brilliant strategist" (go figure) was leading a charge across the Sea of Gallway in the Ulster county of Ireland to claim it under his crown. Unfortunately, after sieging a city, he became ill and died!

Which wasn't so good, since his eldest son was 6 at the time, and a weak child on the throne doesn't bode well. I now transition to playing as my 6 year old son...and my uncle (so the king's brother) takes the opportunity to usurp the crown from me in a civil war with some other vassals and counts. Try as I did, even with a large contingent of Breton mercenaries, I lost the civil war. He did not throw me in jail though, perhaps out of compassion to his kin. So slowly, as I grew older I reinforced my garrison and personal army levies, until I was old enough to lead a battle. Like my father, I was an ugly, diligent, warrior, and still a Duke who owned a few counties. Another uncle of mine, who still had a good opinion of me, was vying for the throne himself, so I threw all my weight and armies behind his faction, and we started a civil war to put him on the throne (he had less children for me to eventually assassinate, was my thinking, so I could ascend to throne eventually again).

Our civil war successful, and my other uncle....King Macbeth, was now King of Scotland. Since I was an excellent warrior, and an initial backer of his faction, he gave me the Marshal position on his Council, where I could get stronger and keep close to him and improve his opinion of me in his wars with England. I plotted with some other vassals and counts to kill his son, so I would be the next in line of succession. And things were going so well...until a very powerful, but problematic drunkard, who I invited to my plot spilled the beans. The King and his vassals have lost their respect for me. And there I ended for now.

Pretty sure my next plans are, since everything is out in the open about the assassination plot, is to both try to assassinate the king fast with a somewhat haphazard-low chance attempt, and then commit to civil war since my armies are pretty strong, my prestige is up, my coffers are full, and I've been slowly improving relations with the Danes across the sea, in hopes they'll support my effort.

So as not to clog this thread, I'll put further updates in the Longest Thread, Thread.

--Andy

Sounds like you're having a great time with that game. A miracle your uncle didn't kill you when he usurped the throne from you though. How many years have you played now?
Lieutenant Gillipig

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,