Conquer Club

Bp looking like scumbag Brits

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Bp looking like scumbag Brits

Postby xeno on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:26 am

US Coast Guard/Wikipedia
This story first appeared in The Guardian and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration.

BP has announced that it will square off against the federal government in court next week to fight "excessive" claims arising from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil disaster.

In a combative statement, the oil giant said it had been open to a settlement in the civil trial, set to start on Monday in a federal court in New Orleans. But it had failed to reach a deal with federal government lawyers.

The trial could potentially result in $21 billion in civil damages for BP, but the company said on Tuesday it would rather take its chances in court than continue negotiations with federal government lawyers.

"Faced with demands that are excessive and not based on reality or the merits of the case, we are going to trial," said Rupert Bondy, the BP's general counsel, said in a statement.

The trial is the last major hurdle to BP's efforts to move beyond the fatal blowout of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, which killed 11 people and resulted in the biggest oil spill in US history.

BP has already accepted criminal responsibility for the disaster, pleading guilty last November to manslaughter and lying to Congress and paying $4.5 billion in fines. It reached a separate $7.8 billion settlement earlier last year with thousands of local individuals that suffered economic damages because of the oil disaster.

But Bondy indicated the company had become stuck trying to reach a deal on the big ticket item: up to $21 billion in fines for environmental damage arising from the oil disaster.

The fines, which would be levied under the Clean Water Act, would go directly for coastal restoration in Louisiana, Mississippi, and other Gulf states. More than 40 lawyers for federal and state governments are expected to be in court on Monday.

At issue are BP's efforts to stop the doomed Macondo well, which gushed for three months before it was finally sealed off by company engineers.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/02/bp-fight-governments-excessive-demands-over-deepwater-horizon
They should be liquidated and sold off piece by piece to help pay for the damage they've done to my beloved gulf.
Private 1st Class xeno

Re: Bp looking like scumbag Brits

Postby Frigidus on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 am

I'm sure everyone else has forgotten by now, but I've made sure not to get my gas from BP ever since the spill. f*ck them.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby xeno on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:46 am

Frigidus wrote:I'm sure everyone else has forgotten by now, but I've made sure not to get my gas from BP ever since the spill. f*ck them.

Coming from a southern louisianaian who can't safely fish in the waters I grew up fishing in I thank you.
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 am

The fact that they are scumbags and the fact that it's a British company are not related. Don't expect a slew of Brits defending them. I certainly won't.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:27 am

jonesthecurl wrote:The fact that they are scumbags and the fact that it's a British company are not related. Don't expect a slew of Brits defending them. I certainly won't.

I knew someone was going to say I was trying to make this correlation when I really wasn't.
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Fruitcake on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 am

let's not mention Bhopal then.

let's not mention the Torrey canyon disaster (an American Company - the Union Oil Company of California) which obliterated wild life on our beaches here. Interesting extract from wikipedia which says:

Claims were made by the British and French governments against the owners of the vessel and the subsequent settlement was the largest ever in marine history for an oil claim. The British government was only able to serve its writ against the owners by arresting the Torrey Canyon's sister ship, the Lake Palourde, when she put in for provisions at Singapore, four months after the oil spill. A young British lawyer, Anthony O'Connor, from a Singaporean law firm, Drew & Napier, was deputised to arrest the ship on behalf of the British government by attaching a writ to its mast. O'Connor was able to board the ship and serve the writ as the ship's crew thought he was a whisky salesman. The French government, alerted to the Lake Palourde's presence, pursued the ship with motor boats but were unable to board and serve their writ.

just so we put this in perspective, around 15000 sea birds were killed and all fish within a 75 mile radius.

Turning, once more to disasters affecting human tragedy. 1988 in the North Sea, 167 men died in the Piper Alpha rig disaster operated by Occidental, an American company, total insured loss was about £1.7 billion (US$3.4 billion). Present day value $6.5 billion

Your hand wringing and outrageous comment about scumbag Brits is quite incredible. Your country has a quite terrible record for walking away from disasters and not doing the right thing.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:21 am

xeno wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:The fact that they are scumbags and the fact that it's a British company are not related. Don't expect a slew of Brits defending them. I certainly won't.

I knew someone was going to say I was trying to make this correlation when I really wasn't.

So why mention it?
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby tzor on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Gee, and I just filled up my tank with BP gas the other day ... It has "Invigorate." :twisted:

Who knows, I might even do it again ... six months from now. ;)
Cadet tzor

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm

xeno wrote:

In that case you wont mind changing it to 'Bp looking like scumbag Brits according to hypocritical scumbag Americans'

Dont get me wrong, I'm not make a correlation
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby tzor on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm

In all honesty, having worked for a company that was run by the Brits (until some dirt bag lawyer from Manhattan took over, went to Canary Warf and outsourced half of the company) which was later bought out by a Canadian, I can honestly say I know a little about Brits and while they have their flaws, they are not scumbags. It would probably require a lot of research to determine if BP does suffer from the fundamental flaws of British corporate management (generally an over emphasis on process over result, a tendency to stove pipe divisions and a tendency to implement roadblocks to prevent problems from being reported and solutions from being implemented).
Cadet tzor

Postby smegal69 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:29 pm

why Just BP, has Haliburton not got Oil all over there hands too?
Lieutenant smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:42 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
xeno wrote:

So why mention it?

I could say the same to you. Why mention anything in this forum?
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Gypsys Kiss wrote:
xeno wrote:

In that case you wont mind changing it to 'Bp looking like scumbag Brits according to hypocritical scumbag Americans'

Dont get me wrong, I'm not make a correlation

Aww did the Brit get offended? I'm sorry if I don't see the hypocrisy. And Halliburton is basically just in charge of drilling the wells and the materials used. I would say there is a bit of egg on their face but not as much as bp who contracted them
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby crispybits on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 pm

So the American company that drilled the well and decided on the materials used (which failed) and caused the spill are fine - it's all that damn BPs fault for giving them the contract! Damn fine argument you have there!
Major crispybits

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 pm

i hope you said this in all of pedro's anti-american bullshit threads.

how does this make BP scumbags btw? just because they are british doesn't mean they are scumbags, it just increases the odds of it.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:30 pm

crispybits wrote:So the American company that drilled the well and decided on the materials used (which failed) and caused the spill are fine - it's all that damn BPs fault for giving them the contract! Damn fine argument you have there!

Reread my post. I said both are to blame
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

xeno wrote:
crispybits wrote:So the American company that drilled the well and decided on the materials used (which failed) and caused the spill are fine - it's all that damn BPs fault for giving them the contract! Damn fine argument you have there!

Reread my post. I said both are to blame

So it's scumbag brits and scumbag Americans?
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby crispybits on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Naah apparently it's scumbag Brits and Americans with a little bit of egg on their face...
Major crispybits

Postby xeno on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:43 pm

It was still bp managing the well. I know you're butt hurt what with your native country being in their name but don't let your patriotism blind you from what happened
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby crispybits on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

:lol: the irony is strong in you!

I have no particular affection for BP, patriotic or not, and I think they are culpable in a way for what happened for the oversight/management mistakes, but for an American (you know, that country that repeatedly blocks international envvironmental treaties) to call us scumbags because the well an American company drilled in American waters, cemented by an American/Arabian company and for which the safety contract was held by another American company, and through which the oil was being extracted by a Swiss/American company, exploded? That's pure comedy!
Major crispybits

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,