Conquer Club

Why are you a Feminist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Why are you a Feminist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Neoteny wrote:Le sigh. BBS, do you want to start over and try again? I hate when we fight. And maybe now that Kent and I seem to have resolved our discussion, Greek has made it clear that, yes, he is still a Libertarian, and I maybe chased FT away, I will have the time to clarify my position better.

Sure! I love New Beginnings!

Okay, you wily rascal. What's your position about feminism? And what's your main contention against me or any criticism against feminism?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm just wondering how Neo is going to explain feminism when he's not a woman and has painted himself into a corner of "if you're not a woman you cannot understand feminism."

Oh yeah, that. But isn't it more like "If you're not a feminist you can't understand feminism."? I'm not sure which is a tougher stance to defend.

I agree with Neo that if you aren't a feminist you can't understand feminism. Well, let me rephrase that - I believe if you are male, you cannot understand feminism. I think women who are not feminists can understand feminism.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Neoteny on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Apparently FT is still here, so that will delay my posting some. I will do my best to be clear this time.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby john9blue on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:You already have a leg up on, say, john9blue, whose views on most, if not all, topics is unnecessary and undesired.

wow you're a douchebag neo lol. good thing funky quoted this cuz i would have missed it (i've learned to ignore your longer posts because they aren't worth my time)

you only call people's opinions "undesired" when you disagree with them. meaning you're only looking to hear opinions that you already agree with. meaning, not only are you a closed-minded moron, but you also act just like the lady who wrote that article. surprise, surprise.

ironically, you're the one who seems to be outnumbered and unappreciated in this thread, but i guess that's not stopping you from pretending that everyone intelligent agrees with you
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Neoteny wrote:Apparently FT is still here, so that will delay my posting some. I will do my best to be clear this time.

No worries. I'm patient.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 pm

So now that we've more or less stfu'ed this thread dies? What's up with that? I'm finding myself leaning back to the "ignore it and it will go away" question. I've tried this method with gonorrhea and believe me, it doesn't work.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am

For the love of Christ, FT, f*ck off.
Major Neoteny

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Perhaps someday when I have a job where I can sit at a computer all day and taunt people instead of working multiple jobs and maintaining some semblance of a social and family life, I will be able to answer your every call, Funky. Until then, calm your shit.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:You already have a leg up on, say, john9blue, whose views on most, if not all, topics is unnecessary and undesired.

This is really an unfair statement. I happen to appreciate john9blue's views. He is severely outnumbered and that's just a matter of the demographics of this site but implying that he's not a welcome contributor because he voices a minority group is wrong. Where do you get off exactly?

Johnny is perfectly capable of having a rational discussion. I just haven't seen it happen in several years. He's a big boy; he can take care of himself, pops.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:When Sady says "shut the f*ck up", she's not actually going for closing off the conversation. She's responding forcefully, and with some comedy, to the overwhelming privilege that men feel they should be allowed to be in everything, including, apparently, a place designated as a safe space for women to talk about feminism, and other things, without having to put up with the same shit they have to everywhere else. This is an issue that Americans in particular have, thinking that the right to free speech trumps everyone else's right to not have to listen to you, but it's an international problem as well. If a woman wants a man's opinion on feminism, she can go to reddit, or a news website, or outside her door. If she wants to laugh a bit and work on serious shit with other women without having to explain to a dude for the umpteenth time how "man-hating" is a phrase (and has been for decades) used to ridicule and intellectually demote the feminist movement as a whole despite the fact that it certainly does apply to some feminists, she can go to Tiger Beatdown.

So you're defending the feminist equivalent to a men's club where guys sit around playing golf, smoking cigars and telling sexist jokes? Or a construction site where the unsaid rule is "no women with equal rights allowed". These are great places for chauvinistic men to feel comfortable in their own skins. If any environment is going to encourage the "man hater" mentality, it's a place where your average uninformed man or any man who dares disagree with the general consensus, is not welcome.

Well, yes, sort of. For once, you've almost got it right. I'm defending feminists who want to have the rare space where clueless men aren't allowed. It's not really hurting you, is it? Or the movement? I'm sure you didn't even know it existed until I wanted to steal her joke to make a point (which, I'm not certain you've gotten yet. The point was that maybe uneducated individuals should not expect to be taken seriously in circles where a little education is expected). It's a place where women, and men who give a shit, can talk about their experiences with patriarchy, rape culture, abortion, queer rights, intersectionality, etc. and not worry about random internet dudes calling them man-haters, sluts, liberals, PC, or whatever. If you, for some reason, aren't ok with that, Freddy has a blog that might interest you. And, to be honest, it's not terrible. But he, just like you, seems to miss the point that TB is not a place for any swinging dick to parrot their misconceptions about feminism. It's not a place that sets out to educate ignorant men. There are already places for that. Tiger Beatdown has a very specific set of goals. Where do you get off talking about whether those goals are appropriate, and whether they is effective in their own right or within a broader movement, particularly when you so obviously have no idea what they're about, or why they're even that way? Is it because you have a penis? Is that what makes you feel like your opinions are so important? Is it because you are so well-versed about feminism? Why, Funky?

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Sady doesn't want all men to shut up about feminism. She appreciates plenty of men with feminist perspectives.

In other words, she's ok discussing perspectives with people who agree with her. What a breakthrough! Don't hurt yourself, Sady.

She discusses perspectives in a variety of places with a variety of people. She actually doesn't post much on TB anymore. But you obviously don't know what you, or I, for that matter, are talking about, so I wouldn't expect you to know these things. Look, here she is doing a thing in Salon about 30 Rock. I bet she's just been waiting for you to comment on that one.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Regarding Sady. I think the hardest part is that you need to enjoy that type of humor or be more familiar with her tone.

Maybe. But you posted her quotes, therefore taking responsibility for their literal interpretation. Anyway, we are getting her/your tone just fine within your posts I think.

That's completely bizarre. Not everyone is as boringly literal as you, FT. I bear no such responsibility, and I urge you to maybe divest yours every now and then. I feel like you would tell the Bible that it's responsible for creationists.

Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm just wondering how Neo is going to explain feminism when he's not a woman and has painted himself into a corner of "if you're not a woman you cannot understand feminism."

Oh yeah, that. But isn't it more like "If you're not a feminist you can't understand feminism."? I'm not sure which is a tougher stance to defend.

Wow, guys. It took you 9 pages to come up with that one. I'm not sure if I should credit your restraint or your intelligence. Also important to note, the glossing over of the following statements, on top of the fact that neither of those stances are the stance I'm taking:

Neoteny wrote:Most of these guys recognize that they possess a certain amount of privilege, and that the number one thing to do when discussing sexism is to shut the f*ck up for a second and listen. The second thing is to shut the f*ck up a little more. Maybe not even offer an opinion. It's hard to do, and I've failed to do it in this thread, but I tried. I really did.

Neoteny wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Oh, well my position is that this thread was pretty lame, serving as an echo chamber for a bunch of dudes unfamiliar with feminism. Also, Sady Doyle is hilarious and sometimes I steal her lines.

EDIT: I forgot the part about how people involved in a subject are more likely to be better contributors, but it's probably for the best since it will be reduced to a straw man about how nobody can talk about anything while criticizing me for making a straw man argument.

In related news, no women have posted in this thread.

Which I am disappointed about, and the only reason I decided I should chip in.

john9blue wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

wow you're a douchebag neo lol. good thing funky quoted this cuz i would have missed it (i've learned to ignore your longer posts because they aren't worth my time)

you only call people's opinions "undesired" when you disagree with them. meaning you're only looking to hear opinions that you already agree with. meaning, not only are you a closed-minded moron, but you also act just like the lady who wrote that article. surprise, surprise.

ironically, you're the one who seems to be outnumbered and unappreciated in this thread, but i guess that's not stopping you from pretending that everyone intelligent agrees with you

John, stop being childish.

BigBallinStalin wrote:What's your position about feminism? And what's your main contention against me or any criticism against feminism?

My position about feminism is that it is awesome. My main contention against you requires that we go back to this post:

BigBallinStalin wrote:
kentington wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I consider men to be less worth than women but also more competent than women. Where does that put me? Male chauvinst or feminist?

arsehole.

I was thinking more like "Realist".

That just assures them that you are a total male chauvinist. :)
[ramble]
Honestly, I think feminism has gone too far and is now hurting its own cause. I agree women should have equal rights and be able to vote. I agree that they should have an equal chance at being hired. But I have seen feminist women verbally attack other women who didn't work but stayed home and raised kids. These outspoken ones may be a minority, but from any feminist I have met it seems to be a constant. Those that I have met also tend to hate men or hold them in a negative light. This creates a poor image for those of us who aren't "in" with them and makes us lean away from them.
[/ramble]

Yeah, pretty much sums up feminism.

Agreeing with Kentington there gets you lumped into the same boat of people making generalizations about groups based on apparently limited knowledge of the group, which is pretty ironic considering the content with which agreement is being found. You got bonus points indicating your ignorance when you were talking about the "radical positions" of first- and second-wave feminism in a negative light. They both had extreme elements, but when you consider that "radical" in the context of wave one is literally the main foci of sufferage, property rights, education, etc, you come across as a little silly there. They weren't even growing their body hair out or anything grody like that. And when you consider the main goals of second-wave feminism, as opposed to the convenient minorities I'm sure you'll use to justify your sweeping opinions, I'm curious as to what was so radical. Those few women who wanted to kill all the men?
Major Neoteny

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 pm

I can't be assed to join the discussion, but Neoteny seems pretty correct about most things here.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Neoteny wrote:Well, yes, sort of. For once, you've almost got it right. I'm defending feminists who want to have the rare space where clueless men aren't allowed. It's not really hurting you, is it? Or the movement? I'm sure you didn't even know it existed until I wanted to steal her joke to make a point (which, I'm not certain you've gotten yet. The point was that maybe uneducated individuals should not expect to be taken seriously in circles where a little education is expected). It's a place where women, and men who give a shit, can talk about their experiences with patriarchy, rape culture, abortion, queer rights, intersectionality, etc. and not worry about random internet dudes calling them man-haters, sluts, liberals, PC, or whatever. If you, for some reason, aren't ok with that, Freddy has a blog that might interest you. And, to be honest, it's not terrible. But he, just like you, seems to miss the point that TB is not a place for any swinging dick to parrot their misconceptions about feminism. It's not a place that sets out to educate ignorant men. There are already places for that. Tiger Beatdown has a very specific set of goals. Where do you get off talking about whether those goals are appropriate, and whether they is effective in their own right or within a broader movement, particularly when you so obviously have no idea what they're about, or why they're even that way? Is it because you have a penis? Is that what makes you feel like your opinions are so important? Is it because you are so well-versed about feminism? Why, Funky?

I'd probably be the last person to bear Funky's 'cross', so no comment on that. As for the rest, it helps clarify your stance, which I generally agree with.

One contention: This is probably not applicable to feminism, but in general it can be beneficial to allow people to state their opinions--however uninformed, so that one can have the opportunity to correct them, clarify them, allow the uninformed to correct them through a Socratic approach, or perhaps even learn from them.

However, it depends on the context. With different people, we have different discussions which vary in profit and relevant knowledge. Therefore, I can understand the frustration in critiquing the US export of democracy when there's that guy in the room who keeps screaming, "UHMERICA!!," while spilling his beer on everyone.

Neoteny wrote:Most of these guys recognize that they possess a certain amount of privilege, and that the number one thing to do when discussing sexism is to shut the f*ck up for a second and listen. The second thing is to shut the f*ck up a little more. Maybe not even offer an opinion. It's hard to do, and I've failed to do it in this thread, but I tried. I really did.

Good advice. In relation to your first paragraph, it makes sense.

And so it renews:

Neoteny wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:What's your position about feminism? And what's your main contention against me or any criticism against feminism?

My position about feminism is that it is awesome. My main contention against you requires that we go back to this post:

BigBallinStalin wrote:
kentington wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I consider men to be less worth than women but also more competent than women. Where does that put me? Male chauvinst or feminist?

arsehole.

I was thinking more like "Realist".

[ramble]
Honestly, I think feminism has gone too far and is now hurting its own cause. I agree women should have equal rights and be able to vote. I agree that they should have an equal chance at being hired. But I have seen feminist women verbally attack other women who didn't work but stayed home and raised kids. These outspoken ones may be a minority, but from any feminist I have met it seems to be a constant. Those that I have met also tend to hate men or hold them in a negative light. This creates a poor image for those of us who aren't "in" with them and makes us lean away from them.
[/ramble]

Agreeing with Kentington there gets you lumped into the same boat of people making generalizations about groups based on apparently limited knowledge of the group, which is pretty ironic considering the content with which agreement is being found. You got bonus points indicating your ignorance when you were talking about the "radical positions" of first- and second-wave feminism in a negative light. They both had extreme elements, but when you consider that "radical" in the context of wave one is literally the main foci of sufferage, property rights, education, etc, you come across as a little silly there. They weren't even growing their body hair out or anything grody like that. And when you consider the main goals of second-wave feminism, as opposed to the convenient minorities I'm sure you'll use to justify your sweeping opinions, I'm curious as to what was so radical. Those few women who wanted to kill all the men?

Yeah, I don't blame you for lumping me into that boat because I was too lazy to clarify my stance.

The underlined's a good point. My contention, and I wasn't clear enough, is that I don't see the usefulness of that radical approach in today's times and in such frequency as it was in the past. Granted, some events today could use a helping of that radical approach--but not as frequently as it was back then, and perhaps not at all, depending on what we mean by radical.

'Radical' in this instance can involve badgering people into agreeing with you or joining their movement, while neglecting their opportunity costs. It can also let passions rule over reason, deny others a more intelligible discourse, and promote well-intended policies which lead to poor outcomes.

I don't favor radicalism in this sense because it's similar to the radicalism of violent, Islamic fundamentalists, the perpetuation of terrorism, the US' reaction, and the subsequent reciprocity of violence/terrorism by both parties. All of this is underpinned by radical notions of social change which can lead to these undesirable outcomes. I'm not saying that in all cases radicalism creates terrorism for all political movements, but it is a breeding ground which can lower the perceived costs of violence. Of course, there's the question of better substitutes than radical positions, whether or not they produce on average better outcomes thus are worth the costs, and yada yada yada.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:One contention: This is probably not applicable to feminism, but in general it can be beneficial to allow people to state their opinions--however uninformed, so that one can have the opportunity to correct them, clarify them, allow the uninformed to correct them through a Socratic approach, or perhaps even learn from them.

However, it depends on the context. With different people, we have different discussions which vary in profit and relevant knowledge. Therefore, I can understand the frustration in critiquing the US export of democracy when there's that guy in the room who keeps screaming, "UHMERICA!!," while spilling his beer on everyone.

That is exactly the point. Tiger Beatdown is probably not the preeminent source of educating men about problems women face. It also does not claim to be, nor necessarily aim to be such (though it has certainly helped me). And your contention very much is applicable to feminism, plus I feel that contention is what Funky is trying to prove. But I don't think anybody here (maybe "think" is too weak a word since the only person to speak for in this situation is myself) is saying that is not the case. There are plenty of places where these discussions are happening (the atheist blogosphere is a community that is doing it now), and they should be happening. But just like dudes can retreat to 4chan or a company boardroom to get away from female interference, women need a place to simmer and cogitate and whatever too. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Well, except the boardroom quip.

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Neoteny wrote:

BigBallinStalin wrote:
kentington wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I was thinking more like "Realist".

[ramble]
[/ramble]

Yeah, I don't blame you for lumping me into that boat because I was too lazy to clarify my stance.

The underlined's a good point. My contention, and I wasn't clear enough, is that I don't see the usefulness of that radical approach in today's times and in such frequency as it was in the past. Granted, some events today could use a helping of that radical approach--but not as frequently as it was back then, and perhaps not at all, depending on what we mean by radical.

'Radical' in this instance can involve badgering people into agreeing with you or joining their movement, while neglecting their opportunity costs. It can also let passions rule over reason, deny others a more intelligible discourse, and promote well-intended policies which lead to poor outcomes.

I don't favor radicalism in this sense because it's similar to the radicalism of violent, Islamic fundamentalists, the perpetuation of terrorism, the US' reaction, and the subsequent reciprocity of violence/terrorism by both parties. All of this is underpinned by radical notions of social change which can lead to these undesirable outcomes. I'm not saying that in all cases radicalism creates terrorism for all political movements, but it is a breeding ground which can lower the perceived costs of violence. Of course, there's the question of better substitutes than radical positions, whether or not they produce on average better outcomes thus are worth the costs, and yada yada yada.

That's cool. There will always be a spectrum of feelings on proper approaches and opportunity costs and whatever.
Major Neoteny

Postby Neoteny on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Lol check it out.

Major Neoteny

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Neoteny wrote:Lol check it out.

Who's that guy? Just kidding, you guys are alright.

Neoteny wrote:Wow, guys. It took you 9 pages to come up with that one. I'm not sure if I should credit your restraint or your intelligence. Also important to note, the glossing over of the following statements, on top of the fact that neither of those stances are the stance I'm taking:

65% restraint; 35% agnosticism

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 pm

thegreekdog wrote:All that being said (and quoted), I'm indifferent. If Congress wants to pass a law that calls for equal pay, that's fine by me. Go ahead. I'm pretty confident it will be an ineffective law, at best. If feminists want to rail against the lack of women in Congress or the White House, go ahead. Find some quality candidates to run in the next election. I'll vote for the best candidate, not the best female candidate. And people who vote for a candidate because he's a man are being not only chauvinist, but stupid. If I told you Ms. Candidate would do a better job than Mr. Candidate and you vote for Mr. Candidate, you're stupid. If I told you that Ms. Employee had a better resume than Mr. Employee and you hired Mr. Employee, you're stupid.
[/quote]

The problem with such a law is much more basic and very similar to any other affirmative action rule.. plain and simply the idea that hiring, education, other opportunities are alloted in a "fair" manner is just bogus.

It is worth talking about in a general sense, as a society and as a means of challenging ourselves, but the government cannot truly mandate real fairness, it can only set the extreme boundaries.

In that regard, I think female affirmative action has taken less time in some ways becuase most men tend to know at least a few women ;) . Its pretty hard to pretend that they are all an inferior species when you are surrounded by them. Except.. well, that is essentially what men have done for generations. What changed that was not any change in women, it was a change in society that allows women to have control over their reproduction.

You will note that most of the debates about women's equity today tend to wind up discussing children and childbirth.

Also, its not cooincidental that the same men who think women are less capable also want women to stay home, take care of the kids, generally have never done much of that themselves and often just are pretty poor at understanding other human beings in general. Its a lot easier to just know your role, fall back into a set pattern than to have to think and deal with a more full range of choices.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Neoteny wrote:Perhaps someday when I have a job where I can sit at a computer all day and taunt people instead of working multiple jobs and maintaining some semblance of a social and family life, I will be able to answer your every call, Funky. Until then, calm your shit.

Funkyterrance wrote:

This is really an unfair statement. I happen to appreciate john9blue's views. He is severely outnumbered and that's just a matter of the demographics of this site but implying that he's not a welcome contributor because he voices a minority group is wrong. Where do you get off exactly?

Johnny is perfectly capable of having a rational discussion. I just haven't seen it happen in several years. He's a big boy; he can take care of himself, pops.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:When Sady says "shut the f*ck up", she's not actually going for closing off the conversation. She's responding forcefully, and with some comedy, to the overwhelming privilege that men feel they should be allowed to be in everything, including, apparently, a place designated as a safe space for women to talk about feminism, and other things, without having to put up with the same shit they have to everywhere else. This is an issue that Americans in particular have, thinking that the right to free speech trumps everyone else's right to not have to listen to you, but it's an international problem as well. If a woman wants a man's opinion on feminism, she can go to reddit, or a news website, or outside her door. If she wants to laugh a bit and work on serious shit with other women without having to explain to a dude for the umpteenth time how "man-hating" is a phrase (and has been for decades) used to ridicule and intellectually demote the feminist movement as a whole despite the fact that it certainly does apply to some feminists, she can go to Tiger Beatdown.

So you're defending the feminist equivalent to a men's club where guys sit around playing golf, smoking cigars and telling sexist jokes? Or a construction site where the unsaid rule is "no women with equal rights allowed". These are great places for chauvinistic men to feel comfortable in their own skins. If any environment is going to encourage the "man hater" mentality, it's a place where your average uninformed man or any man who dares disagree with the general consensus, is not welcome.

Well, yes, sort of. For once, you've almost got it right. I'm defending feminists who want to have the rare space where clueless men aren't allowed. It's not really hurting you, is it? Or the movement? I'm sure you didn't even know it existed until I wanted to steal her joke to make a point (which, I'm not certain you've gotten yet. The point was that maybe uneducated individuals should not expect to be taken seriously in circles where a little education is expected). It's a place where women, and men who give a shit, can talk about their experiences with patriarchy, rape culture, abortion, queer rights, intersectionality, etc. and not worry about random internet dudes calling them man-haters, sluts, liberals, PC, or whatever. If you, for some reason, aren't ok with that, Freddy has a blog that might interest you. And, to be honest, it's not terrible. But he, just like you, seems to miss the point that TB is not a place for any swinging dick to parrot their misconceptions about feminism. It's not a place that sets out to educate ignorant men. There are already places for that. Tiger Beatdown has a very specific set of goals. Where do you get off talking about whether those goals are appropriate, and whether they is effective in their own right or within a broader movement, particularly when you so obviously have no idea what they're about, or why they're even that way? Is it because you have a penis? Is that what makes you feel like your opinions are so important? Is it because you are so well-versed about feminism? Why, Funky?

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Sady doesn't want all men to shut up about feminism. She appreciates plenty of men with feminist perspectives.

In other words, she's ok discussing perspectives with people who agree with her. What a breakthrough! Don't hurt yourself, Sady.

She discusses perspectives in a variety of places with a variety of people. She actually doesn't post much on TB anymore. But you obviously don't know what you, or I, for that matter, are talking about, so I wouldn't expect you to know these things. Look, here she is doing a thing in Salon about 30 Rock. I bet she's just been waiting for you to comment on that one.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Regarding Sady. I think the hardest part is that you need to enjoy that type of humor or be more familiar with her tone.

Maybe. But you posted her quotes, therefore taking responsibility for their literal interpretation. Anyway, we are getting her/your tone just fine within your posts I think.

That's completely bizarre. Not everyone is as boringly literal as you, FT. I bear no such responsibility, and I urge you to maybe divest yours every now and then. I feel like you would tell the Bible that it's responsible for creationists.

Funkyterrance wrote:

Wow, guys. It took you 9 pages to come up with that one. I'm not sure if I should credit your restraint or your intelligence.

Well, it appears as though your composure left the building the moment I objected to your trashing of john9blue whom I consider to contribute a much needed side to many discussions. I'm well aware that my bro john9blue is capable of defending himself but it tends to be taken more seriously when someone else points out an injustice.

I hope at any rate you feel better in your attempt to stomp out any credibility I might have regarding the subject of feminism. And as far as "calming shit", who's the one taking several potshots over the course of a post including my tendency to sometimes post while at work? I mean really, is that necessary lol? Ad Hominem to the max, dude.
Really though, I think you may be preaching to the coir about a lot of this stuff but it seems as though you'd like to remain just a liiiitle bit more hip to feminism than everyone else
and being cryptic about the whole thing you believe is maintaining this status. Either that or you're just as clueless about feminism as the rest of us and your stfu'ing has served you well thus far with feminists so you're just rolling with it.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm a feminist because I am a dude and feminism allows me to be a lazy cracker and entitles me not to put in as much romantic efforts into my relationship. I would make a horrible knight in shiny armor and would probably die a virgin.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby Neoteny on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Perhaps someday when I have a job where I can sit at a computer all day and taunt people instead of working multiple jobs and maintaining some semblance of a social and family life, I will be able to answer your every call, Funky. Until then, calm your shit.

Funkyterrance wrote:

Funkyterrance wrote:

Funkyterrance wrote:

Funkyterrance wrote:

Funkyterrance wrote:

Wow, guys. It took you 9 pages to come up with that one. I'm not sure if I should credit your restraint or your intelligence.

Well, it appears as though your composure left the building the moment I objected to your trashing of john9blue whom I consider to contribute a much needed side to many discussions. I'm well aware that my bro john9blue is capable of defending himself but it tends to be taken more seriously when someone else points out an injustice.

I hope at any rate you feel better in your attempt to stomp out any credibility I might have regarding the subject of feminism. And as far as "calming shit", who's the one taking several potshots over the course of a post including my tendency to sometimes post while at work? I mean really, is that necessary lol? Ad Hominem to the max, dude.
Really though, I think you may be preaching to the coir about a lot of this stuff but it seems as though you'd like to remain just a liiiitle bit more hip to feminism than everyone else
and being cryptic about the whole thing you believe is maintaining this status. Either that or you're just as clueless about feminism as the rest of us and your stfu'ing has served you well thus far with feminists so you're just rolling with it.

Seriously. Are you new here?
Major Neoteny

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 pm

I can't find any fault with anything Neo said. Maybe you don't like the way he said something, but that doesn't make him wrong.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:I can't find any fault with anything Neo said. Maybe you don't like the way he said something, but that doesn't make him wrong.

That's pretty much my opinon of Neoteny's opinion. I think he's right, I just don't think he said it the best way.

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 pm

I love the idea of the empowerment of women. Give them more money and better opportunity to jobs. I just wanna get one pregnant, stay home, cook food, do the laundry while she goes to work and makes the big bucks. :D
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:I love the idea of the empowerment of women. Give them more money and better opportunity to jobs. I just wanna get one pregnant, stay home, cook food, do the laundry while she goes to work and makes the big bucks. :D

Oh how different you and I are
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Neoteny wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:One contention: This is probably not applicable to feminism, but in general it can be beneficial to allow people to state their opinions--however uninformed, so that one can have the opportunity to correct them, clarify them, allow the uninformed to correct them through a Socratic approach, or perhaps even learn from them.

That is exactly the point. Tiger Beatdown is probably not the preeminent source of educating men about problems women face. It also does not claim to be, nor necessarily aim to be such (though it has certainly helped me). And your contention very much is applicable to feminism, plus I feel that contention is what Funky is trying to prove. But I don't think anybody here (maybe "think" is too weak a word since the only person to speak for in this situation is myself) is saying that is not the case. There are plenty of places where these discussions are happening (the atheist blogosphere is a community that is doing it now), and they should be happening. But just like dudes can retreat to 4chan or a company boardroom to get away from female interference, women need a place to simmer and cogitate and whatever too. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Well, except the boardroom quip.

I used to sort of agree. Today, though, with the internet, people too often wind up talking to JUST those with whom they agree. There is no open dialogue. Thus you have millions educated in the wonderful ideas of young earth creationism, who are generally intelligent, but who have been taught so far from what is standard science that even trying to bring them back to understand why their ideas are wrong is a major feat. Similarly, there are more and more males who have just decided, essentially ""to H*ll with this feminims garbage...I am a MAN!" It really doesn't matter if its Promise Keepers promoting that the Bible tells men to "take charge of their families [for the good of their women of whom too much has been asked, among other niceties]" or a young punk who thinks its perfectly OK to put someone in "that slut's" drink [and she must be a slut if she is in his company...] and do whatever he wants or simply an executive who just "doesn't seem to find qualified women" or "the women who show up here just don't seem to 'fit' as well". The basic problem is that these people are giving themselves the right to judge and dictate a whole other group of people, in this case all women, based on their pre-concieved ideas. Unfortunately, too often these people can get into places of real power and act upon those beliefs in ways that truly harm others... in this case not just all women, but their children and families as well.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm

This is not really an internet thing. People have always found echo chambers for their ideas. Facebook, for example, is a two way street as far as that goes. As long as there are places to have discussions, and those discussions are happening, then I don't mind a place that is specifically for rallying and venting, etc.
Major Neoteny

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:I used to sort of agree. Today, though, with the internet, people too often wind up talking to JUST those with whom they agree. There is no open dialogue. Thus you have millions educated in the wonderful ideas of young earth creationism, who are generally intelligent, but who have been taught so far from what is standard science that even trying to bring them back to understand why their ideas are wrong is a major feat.

So you don't agree with the STFU angle?

PLAYER57832 wrote:Similarly, there are more and more males who have just decided, essentially ""to H*ll with this feminims garbage...I am a MAN!" It really doesn't matter if its Promise Keepers promoting that the Bible tells men to "take charge of their families [for the good of their women of whom too much has been asked, among other niceties]" or a young punk who thinks its perfectly OK to put someone in "that slut's" drink [and she must be a slut if she is in his company...] and do whatever he wants or simply an executive who just "doesn't seem to find qualified women" or "the women who show up here just don't seem to 'fit' as well". The basic problem is that these people are giving themselves the right to judge and dictate a whole other group of people, in this case all women, based on their pre-concieved ideas. Unfortunately, too often these people can get into places of real power and act upon those beliefs in ways that truly harm others... in this case not just all women, but their children and families as well.

So, would you consider any male capable of truly grasping feminism or do you feel there is a contradiction in the term "male feminist"? I mean, last I knew all males were to some degree subject to gravity and the resultant pendulation.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:25 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:I used to sort of agree. Today, though, with the internet, people too often wind up talking to JUST those with whom they agree. There is no open dialogue. Thus you have millions educated in the wonderful ideas of young earth creationism, who are generally intelligent, but who have been taught so far from what is standard science that even trying to bring them back to understand why their ideas are wrong is a major feat.

So you don't agree with the STFU angle?
What "angle"?

Funkyterrance wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Similarly, there are more and more males who have just decided, essentially ""to H*ll with this feminims garbage...I am a MAN!" It really doesn't matter if its Promise Keepers promoting that the Bible tells men to "take charge of their families [for the good of their women of whom too much has been asked, among other niceties]" or a young punk who thinks its perfectly OK to put someone in "that slut's" drink [and she must be a slut if she is in his company...] and do whatever he wants or simply an executive who just "doesn't seem to find qualified women" or "the women who show up here just don't seem to 'fit' as well". The basic problem is that these people are giving themselves the right to judge and dictate a whole other group of people, in this case all women, based on their pre-concieved ideas. Unfortunately, too often these people can get into places of real power and act upon those beliefs in ways that truly harm others... in this case not just all women, but their children and families as well.

So, would you consider any male capable of truly grasping feminism or do you feel there is a contradiction in the term "male feminist"? I mean, last I knew all males were to some degree subject to gravity and the resultant pendulation.

Only if you think the term "more and more" refers to all men... :roll:

Then again, I find in that above group "attack anyone who disagrees with me" is considered a reasonable approach, so ...

Seriously, just because women have made great strides, a lot of discrimination is no longer either legal or socially acceptable doesn't mean that women no longer have to work harder than men to get the same pay, don't have to put up with the "same old" idiocy in many formats. Fewer places, but its not gone.

The real question is how far should the government go in mandating such and how should it be mandated. The "easy" view is that once you get past the point of managers flat out refusing to hire women or blatently paying women less than men for the same job, legislation and courts have no place. The harder and trickier view is that all of that discrimination still happens to such a wide extent that many people, particularly men don't even recognize it. Its like the racist bit.. .just because folks aren't shouting "nigg*r" everywhere and burning crosses on people's lawns much doesn't mean racism is gone. There was along road between "no lynching" and "let everyone sit at the lunch counter together" and what we have today.. in fact, the irony is that right now, Mississippi is, in some ways a far less racist place than many areas up north. Its just that down south people are more willing to admit to being racist and not apologizing for it.. even though they will work with and deal with people of other colors. (they just don't invite them into their homes, etc.) I don't want to get into the racist discussion here, but I use it because most of those issues are pretty well understood and discussed. When it comes to women, it gets trickier because how men and women deal with each other is not just in professional terms, its very much personal. The personal and even religious get mixed in ways that don't happen with race.

Even the most "liberal" of men and women (all but a group I will call "extreme") fully acknowledge that men and women are fundamentally different. The issue is whether those differences translate into job and general abilities the way people think. The answer to that is mostly "no".

One example is swearing. Now I surely know plenty of women who "swear like a trucker" and plenty of men who don't. Still, the standard exists that is generally "more OK" for men to swear than women. That is changing, particularly in traditionally blue collar settings. However, having women in the workforce has more often caused the men to "watch their p's and q's" than women to start swearing. Is that necesarily a bad thing? Sure, some are uncomfortable with not being able to swear all over (and some frankly don't care), but isn't the idea of just being more respectful in the workplace.. ANY workplace a basically good idea? Men may point to "women" as a convenient target, but in truth its really more about cultural changes and workplace changes overall.

On a deeper level, many companies find that when men and women work together in teams, the fact that men and women approach things differently can be very much of a benefit. Some people will always want to see "different" as "bad", but the point is that is just not always true. Change is hard, but not necessarily bad.. and usually not avoidable.

Anyway, a long spiel to make the point, but the thing is that these answers only really come about when issues are discussed and openly. A lot of men, particularly younger men, very much do prefer to think of women as "just objects". They are bullies, sometimes even psychopaths (at the very extreme). I mean, on what planet does ANYONE think its OK to go have sex with a 12-13 year old girl just because they can? Granted, there is a LONG road between the kid on the baseball team who is making smart-alec remarks about girls in dugouts and that..... except, if left unchecked it might not be such a long road. Go up to teenagers, on the internet and there is no coach or dad listening in to give the boys "friendly advice" . Some of the bad behavior and attitudes have actually gotten far worse in recent years... even while the overall climate is perhaps better.

Add in the entirely different bit about "Promise Keepers" and the movement among various other religious groups to say that women following men is a religious issue and that forcing men to deal with women equally in the workplace, society is against religion... and it can very much seem to many women that the steps that were made are either stagnating or even going backwards.

I don't think shutting off discussion is the answer. Probably a better answer would be for women to "sneak in" to the sites and blast the idiots. (and vice-versa for the equivalent female sites). The real answer is to continue to include respect in our general educational curriculum. But, too often people equate "respect" with "following my religion" and when daddy is at home saying that the Bible says the girls cook and clean and the boys don't have too... well, that boy is not going to be very pleasant for women to work around when he grows up, but a public school is limited in what it can do.
Corporal PLAYER57832

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,