Conquer Club

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Total votes : 0

Re: Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby chang50 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I honestly suspect that there was love and respect mutually involved here.
Not gonna do massive research on this at this time of night. this is usually when I do my writing, which is currently how I earn my living.
But you caught my attention with a question that I'm currently interested in.
Unfortunately, unlike the creationist threads that I often post in late at night, I'm not expecting anything to leak over into my standup routine from this thread.

I am sure there was mutual love and respect from my own reading,however this is irrelevant to the OP.Children are judged incapable of giving informed consent..
Captain chang50

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

Sym makes a good point, but context still matters. Today, we have millions who support theft if the government does it in order to 'help' others. They even go to the extent of supporting the state--knowing that it murders people.

Or, consider how almost everyone today uses fiat currency, which enables governments to incur significant debt so that they can spend irresponsibly, while dumping the negative consequences on future generations. The acceptance of fiat currency also promotes government-induced inflation through increasing the money supply--which undermines the value of that currency, thus robbing those people of that value.

Perhaps in 200 years, those supporters and users of fiat currency will all be viewed as evil--from a non-contextual perspective, of course.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I honestly suspect that there was love and respect mutually involved here.
Not gonna do massive research on this at this time of night. this is usually when I do my writing, which is currently how I earn my living.
Unfortunately, unlike the creationist threads that I often post in late at night, I'm not expecting anything to leak over into my standup routine from this thread.

Then why didn't he free her? Even in his will? I don't see much respect in slavery.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 am

chang50 wrote:

I am sure there was mutual love and respect from my own reading,however this is irrelevant to the OP.Children are judged incapable of giving informed consent..

Grrr, let me get on with what I'm supposed to be doing...
OK one last comment: "child" is culturally defined.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby xeno on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:00 am

I think at 14 you are able to give sexual consent especially in the 19th century
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:01 am

how do you know that this was "rape"?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
chang50 wrote:

Grrr, let me get on with what I'm supposed to be doing...
OK one last comment: "child" is culturally defined.

Sure, to an extent, although the question really is, "Where do you set your boundaries?"
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby xeno on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 am

john9blue wrote:how do you know that this was "rape"?

This is the point I was getting at essentially
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 am

she was not able to freely consent.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 am

By applying 21st century understanding of that word,
then eliminate the context of the past,
substitute it with a 21st century context
and make a conclusion.

Centuries ago, a tyrant killing his people was justified--in that those people deserve it since they must've sinned at some time (either Aquinas or St. Aug was making that argument).

Centuries ago, monarchy by divine right was legit and morally good. Opinions to the contrary be damned--couldn't have a tyranny of the majority! And how could those silly peasants be able to govern themselves??

The concept of universal rights changes over time. It's not as universal as we sometimes think it to be--or wish it to be.

This thread reminds me of what Bastiat once said,
ā€œThe worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.ā€
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 am

Symmetry wrote:

interesting. does free will develop during late puberty?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am

john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

She was a slave.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 am

Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

She was a slave.

what did jefferson (or other slave owners of that time period) do to slaves that did not consent to sex? how much coercion occurred?

you can't just assume it was rape (which is already a vaguely defined word due to the lack of a clear-cut distinction between voluntary and involuntary, which i discussed in another thread), more context is required. he may have been a rapist, but again, that hardly speaks to the morality of his actions, especially considering (as bbs said) the time period.
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 am

john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

She was a slave.

what did jefferson (or other slave owners of that time period) do to slaves that did not consent to sex? how much coercion occurred?

you can't just assume it was rape (which is already a vaguely defined word due to the lack of a clear-cut distinction between voluntary and involuntary, which i discussed in another thread), more context is required. he may have been a rapist, but again, that hardly speaks to the morality of his actions, especially considering (as bbs said) the time period.

If she could not freely consent, then it was rape.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Night Strike on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 am

To claim that he was a rapist because she was 14 years old is pretty dubious considering adulthood was much earlier than it is today.

You have a marginally more convincing case with the fact she was a slave, but considering that Jefferson is known to have been a genial slave owner (versus an abusive/violent) one, the implication that this was a forcible relationship would probably be unfounded.
Major Night Strike

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 am

Night Strike wrote:To claim that he was a rapist because she was 14 years old is pretty dubious considering adulthood was much earlier than it is today.

You have a marginally more convincing case with the fact she was a slave, but considering that Jefferson is known to have been a genial slave owner (versus an abusive/violent) one, the implication that this was a forcible relationship would probably be unfounded.

I'm not sure if Sym could understand such a nuanced position. For him, it's a black-and-white issue.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 am

so you're just going to keep making absolute statements using vague terminology, sym? i don't like that. in fact i think i'm going to be very explicit about your thought process here, since you aren't willing to:

SYMMETRY'S ARGUMENT:
- TJ had sex with an underage slave, therefore he must be a rapist.
- TJ is a rapist, therefore he has questionable moral character.
- TJ has QMC, therefore he is an untrustworthy and unsavory person.
- TJ is a UUP, therefore we should not give very much credit to his ideas.

i leave it as an exercise to the reader to find the fallacies in this line of argument. unless you disagree with any of the above, sym?
Captain john9blue

Postby chang50 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:31 am

Night Strike wrote:To claim that he was a rapist because she was 14 years old is pretty dubious considering adulthood was much earlier than it is today.

Genial slave owner???The very fact she was a slave is a forcible relationship,and actually adulthood as in the onset of puberty occurred much later then.
Captain chang50

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 am

If you could go back in time, would you have sex with a 14 year old girl?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 am

Symmetry wrote:

If you could go back in time, would you have sex with a 14 year old girl?

people are products of their environment. even you and your morals. don't you understand this?

i'm not trying to argue for total moral relativism/nihilism here, but you really need to put things into perspective.
Last edited by john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain john9blue

Postby chang50 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 am

john9blue wrote:so you're just going to keep making absolute statements using vague terminology, sym? i don't like that. in fact i think i'm going to be very explicit about your thought process here, since you aren't willing to:

SYMMETRY'S ARGUMENT:

i leave it as an exercise to the reader to find the fallacies in this line of argument. unless you disagree with any of the above, sym?

That is an almost perfect illustration of a strawman argument..
Captain chang50

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 am

chang50 wrote:
john9blue wrote:so you're just going to keep making absolute statements using vague terminology, sym? i don't like that. in fact i think i'm going to be very explicit about your thought process here, since you aren't willing to:

SYMMETRY'S ARGUMENT:

That is an almost perfect illustration of a strawman argument..

which is why i asked symmetry whether it was accurate or not, a luxury not afforded to me when my opponents make straw man arguments out of my positions (which happens somewhat frequently)
Captain john9blue

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 am

Not my line of thinking John. Chang was sharp to point out that the strawman here is yours, not mine.

These however, I can agree with.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby john9blue on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 am

Symmetry wrote:Not my line of thinking John. Chang was sharp to point out that the strawman here is yours, not mine.

These however, I can agree with.

so it is true that you think TJ having sex with an underage slave means he must have been an untrustworthy person? even considering the environment in which he lived? if so then i don't think this thread is going to convince anyone of anything.
Captain john9blue

Postby xeno on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 am

On a related note, when do you all think girls peak in beauty?
Private 1st Class xeno

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,