Conquer Club

NHL Lockout?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Will there be another NHL lockout this season?

Total votes : 0

Re: NHL Lockout?

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 am

whitestazn88 wrote:
Lil_SlimShady wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:As a terribly distraught caps fan (although we've made some good progress as of late), I'm ok with watching the blackhawks' run. If they can go the whole season without losing in regulation it would be a tremendous achievement and really awesome to see. Then, if they could get swept out of the playoffs by losing every game in overtime, that would be even more amazing and also hysterically funny.

Ah, its nice to run into a fellow caps fan. Don't see much of us coming out in the open these days. Major Question: Should Ovi keep the C. If not, who should take it?

I think it's too late to take it back at this point. Should've been Laich all along, but it also turns out his health hasn't been great. I think a big problem is the high turnover in goalies as of late. Varlamov was decent, got booted after 1 playoffs for Neuvirth. Neuvirth was pretty good, got booted after 1 playoffs. We've now got Holtby, who's playing well, and we have another "top prospect" goalie in Hershey in Grubauer or however you spelled his name who backed up Holtby when Neuvy was injured last week.

But they look solid on the PP, and the goaltending and PK haven't been as abhorrent as it was the first 3 weeks of the season, so I've still got a lot of confidence they can make a run for the playoffs.

I was so dissapointed when they let Varly go. I know that he is prone to injuries but his turnaround time was rather impressive and he has been consistently healthy in Colorado. I really dislike Neuvys style of play though so Holtbys performace is a nice bonus; I hope he keeps the number 1 spot from now on.
As for Ovi, I dont think its too late. He will still be the face of the franchise but the changing room needs a leader not an individual.
Otherwise I agree with you. I dont think its too late for them but I dont have a whole lot of confidence in any long term playoff success. It would be an achievement to make the payoffs at this point in the shorteed season. I do believe that next season, with Oates system ingrained in their brains, they will be back in the elite.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 am

AHHHHHH! What a come back for the Caps. Thank you Bruins for not finishing my team off way too quickly.

Also, Hawks extend their streak to 23 games. It makes me glad that my team is not in the western conference.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby Serbia on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm

The West is ridiculous. The Wings win ONE game, and jump from 10th to 4th (pending the results of the late games!). That is insanely tight.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby tzor on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Serbia wrote:The West is ridiculous. The Wings win ONE game, and jump from 10th to 4th (pending the results of the late games!). That is insanely tight.

My app has them as 6th, but there are 3 teams all tied with 26 points. The 3rd place team has 27 points. The 7th place team has 25 points and there are 3 teams with 24 points. I have a feeling that the Western Conference is going to go down to the last game to decide who is in and who is not.

The eastern conference is not that tight but the slots around 7 to 9 are only off by two points. Even the Islanders are only 2 points below current 8th place Rangers. So it's also going to be interesting there as well.
Cadet tzor

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Serbia wrote:The West is ridiculous. The Wings win ONE game, and jump from 10th to 4th (pending the results of the late games!). That is insanely tight.

The west has always been tight. Remember last season? The la kings got in on the last game of the season against the sharks. And went on to win the cup.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby notyou2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
ben79 wrote:Chicago's run is amazing, Anaheim as well ( Boudreau will be in the top-3 for the Jack Adams trophy ).

I'm extremely surprised by the habs, i thought they were gonna finish between the 11th and 14th place in the east .... right now they're playing like there's no tomorow ( 11th game in a row with 1 point ).

The referees in the NHL are probably the worst in all 5 major sports in america, and Shanahan is not doing his job at all, what a joke !!

wait, what's the fifth major sport?

Bowling, if peasant sports can be sports.
Captain notyou2

Postby tzor on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Army of GOD wrote:wait, what's the fifth major sport?

Golf?
Cadet tzor

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Nascar.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Xarm?

mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Neoteny on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:28 pm

It looks like realignment got through the Players' Association.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6590 ... L|NHL|home
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Caps put on a nice show tonight, although I would have liked the shutout, as I'm sure Braden did as well.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Neoteny wrote:It looks like realignment got through the Players' Association.

Nice. Now you are in the Northeast. It's like we're neighbours.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby tzor on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm an Islander's Fan. Tonight wasn't a good night.

Of course it's never a good night when they are playing.
Cadet tzor

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Pens/Flyers is the best rivalry in hockey at the moment. It would be fun to watch if I wasn't getting a heart attack after every Flyer goal.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:Caps put on a nice show tonight, although I would have liked the shutout, as I'm sure Braden did as well.

Not to take anything away from their effort but it's Florida. And not last year's Florida where they pulled last minute goals out of their arses to then lose in overtime. This is injury depleted Cats with Theodore (a.k.a. three-or-more) as their #1 goalie. This weekend will really show if the Caps got what it takes.

tzor wrote:I'm an Islander's Fan. Tonight wasn't a good night.

Let's hope that continues on Saturday. I would love it if the caps went into sunday's game against the rags with a four game winning streak.

Army of GOD wrote:Pens/Flyers is the best rivalry in hockey at the moment. It would be fun to watch if I wasn't getting a heart attack after every Flyer goal.

Are you kidding me? Their games are embodiment of horrible defence and even more horrible goaltending. Exciting to watch but send the wrong message about what it takes to be successfull in the league.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Lil_SlimShady wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:Pens/Flyers is the best rivalry in hockey at the moment. It would be fun to watch if I wasn't getting a heart attack after every Flyer goal.

Are you kidding me? Their games are embodiment of horrible defence and even more horrible goaltending. Exciting to watch but send the wrong message about what it takes to be successfull in the league.

I was expecting someone to say that but while I am a defense-lover myself, I don't think it takes away from the games. I'm just saying from a subjective view that this is the best rivalry in hockey at the moment. Not nearly as much history as Bruins/Habs, Wings/Hawks, etc., but it's good right now.

But trust me, unless Fleury gets back to 09 form or Bylsma starts emphasizing defense, I'm fearing we won't be able to make a great run in the playoffs.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Lil_SlimShady on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Lil_SlimShady wrote:

I was expecting someone to say that but while I am a defense-lover myself, I don't think it takes away from the games. I'm just saying from a subjective view that this is the best rivalry in hockey at the moment. Not nearly as much history as Bruins/Habs, Wings/Hawks, etc., but it's good right now.

But trust me, unless Fleury gets back to 09 form or Bylsma starts emphasizing defense, I'm fearing we won't be able to make a great run in the playoffs.

I guess it will have to do for the regular season. And while Pens have a slight chance of adapting for the playoffs, I really hope the Flyers don't take up a valuable playoff spot just to be out trapped in the first round.
Captain Lil_SlimShady

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 am

Lil_SlimShady wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:Caps put on a nice show tonight, although I would have liked the shutout, as I'm sure Braden did as well.

Not to take anything away from their effort but it's Florida. And not last year's Florida where they pulled last minute goals out of their arses to then lose in overtime. This is injury depleted Cats with Theodore (a.k.a. three-or-more) as their #1 goalie. This weekend will really show if the Caps got what it takes.

Let's hope that continues on Saturday. I would love it if the caps went into sunday's game against the rags with a four game winning streak.

I totally agree, but I mean, it's always nice to rub it in when your team goes on an offensive onslaught. I think they said we've scored 5+ every game we played against the Panthers this year. And I honestly think we've finally gotten on the right path, the comeback win against Boston may be the pivotal game of the year for the Caps.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

DoomYoshi wrote:

Nice. Now you are in the Northeast. It's like we're neighbours.

I feel like it's warmer on my side of the fence. Same number of damn yankees though.
Major Neoteny

Postby Gillipig on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 am

Crosby is playing well. oVo starts playing better too.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby denominator on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:39 pm

That's too bad. I've really been hoping they do away with the conferences/divisions for a while now. Just simplify the whole thing, top 16 teams make the playoffs and run a bracket that way, get rid of the garbage where the division winners automatically take the higher seeds. It's never been fair to the stronger divisions where they lose home ice advantage just because one division (coughSEcough) is weaker than the others.

Army of GOD wrote:
Lil_SlimShady wrote:

It's definitely the best rivalry going right now, since both teams are playing well and you have goonish players on each side that hate each other. The Toronto/Montreal rivalry is starting to come back since both teams aren't sucking this year.

For my money, the best game I've watched thus far was the Hawks/Wings game last Sunday. It was a big rivalry game but played clean, fast, and hard. A lot of fun to watch.

The season is only half over and I already hate living in Calgary.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Neoteny on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Looks like Chicago is finally collapsing.
Major Neoteny

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Lil_SlimShady wrote:

I don't know. I do know that when I got into my car tonight, after a Knights of Columbus meeting, I turned on my satellite radio to hear the third period of the Ottawa Senators / NY Rangers Game. The Senators scored, broke the 2/2 tie and went on to win the game in regulation! Sweet Revenge.

That's right though, the Islanders do play the Washington Capitals tomorrow. Conflict of interest here. I mean I can't wish to see the team coached by Adam Oates (RPI Class of 1985 and hall of famer) loose.
Cadet tzor

Postby ben79 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 am

notyou2 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
ben79 wrote:Chicago's run is amazing, Anaheim as well ( Boudreau will be in the top-3 for the Jack Adams trophy ).

I'm extremely surprised by the habs, i thought they were gonna finish between the 11th and 14th place in the east .... right now they're playing like there's no tomorow ( 11th game in a row with 1 point ).

The referees in the NHL are probably the worst in all 5 major sports in america, and Shanahan is not doing his job at all, what a joke !!

wait, what's the fifth major sport?

Bowling, if peasant sports can be sports.

Was talking about soccer since Nascar and Golf are hobbys, not sports
Lieutenant ben79

Postby ben79 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 am

Good thing for the NHL, good thing for teams like Colorado, Winnipeg, Detroit, Columbus, who'll be playing more in their time zone. Playoffs are gonna be more fun to watch with the wild-card games.
Lieutenant ben79

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,