Conquer Club

Most prolific killers in The Club - a statistical analysis

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Most prolific killers in The Club - a statistical analys

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Neoteny wrote:Might a thread killer have an effect on post frequency? Perhaps a significant drop off from a certain level of activity?

An affect on their frequency or others? Theirs I would assume yes but others I'm unsure. I, for one, just ignore posts of which I don't feel inclined to respond to and continue the conversation where it left off before it was posted, being careful not to repeat anything found in said ignored post's contents. To leave a thread because a post or two left a bad taste in my mouth would be a pretty petty move.
I still have a feeling that this all revolves around people not wanting to hear too strongly a conflicting view to their own so they simply remove themselves from the conversation. Why should here be so much different than in real life?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:Might a thread killer have an effect on post frequency? Perhaps a significant drop off from a certain level of activity?

An affect on their frequency or others? Theirs I would assume yes but others I'm unsure. I, for one, just ignore posts of which I don't feel inclined to respond to and continue the conversation where it left off before it was posted, being careful not to repeat anything found in said ignored post's contents. To leave a thread because a post or two left a bad taste in my mouth would be a pretty petty move.
I still have a feeling that this all revolves around people not wanting to hear too strongly a conflicting view to their own so they simply remove themselves from the conversation. Why should here be so much different than in real life?

An effect on others. Would a certain poster, more than others, be measured as reducing the post frequency of others within a thread? If so, this would account for the philosophizing at the end of your post.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Neoteny wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

An effect on others. Would a certain poster, more than others, be measured as reducing the post frequency of others within a thread? If so, this would account for the philosophizing at the end of your post.

So you're reducing this to a matter of "that guy" being in the room? I should think we are all adult enough to get past this if it were the case. Besides, judging by the data this isn't the case since quite a few of the names in the lower percentile end are somewhat awkward and not necessarily usually welcome to conversations so the whole "idiot walking into the mensa party" theory doesn't quite fit.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

So you're reducing this to a matter of "that guy" being in the room? I should think we are all adult enough to get past this if it were the case. Besides, judging by the data this isn't the case since quite a few of the names in the lower percentile end are somewhat awkward and not necessarily usually welcome to conversations so the whole "idiot walking into the mensa party" theory doesn't quite fit.

"That guy being in the room" was exactly the point Nietzsche wanted to make. I don't know where you've been the last four pages, or how you've been reading and posting in this thread without figuring out that that reason is, originally, the whole objective of the analysis. Haggis modified it a bit, but still. I'm not a fan of Niet's particular suggestion to achieve his goal as I think it might be really muddy and not give anything that significant data-wise, so I was trying to help him out. Anyhow, mine might not be that much better, but it might be easier.

So, in any case, welcome to the thread. I know enough about statistics to know what can and can't be read into them. I'm not reducing anything.
Major Neoteny

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Neoteny wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
Neoteny wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

"That guy being in the room" was exactly the point Nietzsche wanted to make. I don't know where you've been the last four pages, or how you've been reading and posting in this thread without figuring out that that reason is, originally, the whole objective of the analysis. Haggis modified it a bit, but still. I'm not a fan of Niet's particular suggestion to achieve his goal as I think it might be really muddy and not give anything that significant data-wise, so I was trying to help him out. Anyhow, mine might not be that much better, but it might be easier.

So, in any case, welcome to the thread. I know enough about statistics to know what can and can't be read into them. I'm not reducing anything.

I didn't mean to sound offensive. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you were unaware that I was politely asked by admin to ignore all of nietsche's comments although I could piece it together, despite what you may believe. I just was unable to respond to him directly so you were the next best thing and if you decide to "help him out" as it were I don't think it's unreasonable to bring your musings to their logical conclusions.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Well, I'm not going to get involved in the private machinations of lovers and their voyeuristic overlords. The idea that you'd be asked to ignore being baited seems sort of silly to me, but whatever. We are all aware now, and I like torturing statistics to say what I want them to say.
Major Neoteny

Postby spurgistan on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

5.2% chance nobody ever comments on this thread. Ever again. Death comes to us all.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 pm

spurgistan wrote:5.2% chance nobody ever comments on this thread. Ever again. Death comes to us all.

But this thread is SUPER DUPER AWESOME!
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Timminz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Zero deviation over here.
Captain Timminz

Postby john9blue on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Image

Wtf, are those cats clones or something?

this is known as a Large Cat Collider (LCC)

it works by rapidly rotating a catrino until critical ~nyan~ is achieved
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm

is your data extracted from all forums or just off-topics?

i ask because my tournaments usually contain no other posts when started except mine. they would make me appear more bloodthirsty than i really am.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Neoteny on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

OT only.
Major Neoteny

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 am

Neoteny wrote:OT only.

how long does a thread have to go without any posts for the last post to be considered a killer?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Lootifer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:54 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I prefer the term "thread winner". Don't we need also a total post count so that we know we aren't just seeing laws of averages? Like, if someone posts more, statistically they will end more threads.

This is already being done. That's why I say "proportion" and "9%".

Y axis shows posts that killed a thread in the last year divided by total posts in the last year.

Nah there's likely an additional bias since the amount of threads is an order of magnitude more limited than the number of posts. I would hazard to guess that there is a correlation between number of posts and the murder proportion.

Also, what does the post count look like for OT? Since the stupid lame-o post counter doesnt count all these little pearls of awesomeness!
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby kentington on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 am

I wish there was a separate shown post count for OT.
What would the numbers look like if you did thread kills to amount of threads posted in?
That way if you have fifty posts in one thread, it won't help your ratio.
Bruceswar Ā» Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm wrote:We all had tons of men..
Sergeant kentington

Postby Gillipig on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 am

I'm the greatest!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Neoteny on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 am

greenoaks wrote:

how long does a thread have to go without any posts for the last post to be considered a killer?

I don't think he indicated that specifically. In the last thread, he went back fifty pages. He may have just assumed that since he goes back fifty pages, the weight of actual killed pages will drown out the most recent page or two. Or maybe he started five pages back or something. He'd have to answer that.
Major Neoteny

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Neoteny wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

I don't think he indicated that specifically. In the last thread, he went back fifty pages. He may have just assumed that since he goes back fifty pages, the weight of actual killed pages will drown out the most recent page or two. Or maybe he started five pages back or something. He'd have to answer that.

Everything not on the first page was considered dead.

kentington wrote:I wish there was a separate shown post count for OT.
What would the numbers look like if you did thread kills to amount of threads posted in?
That way if you have fifty posts in one thread, it won't help your ratio.

Good idea. This should be easy to run.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby xeno on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 am

So I kill more threads than I thought :( over 80% of my posts since I joined are in ot
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 pm

New data in OP.

Click image to enlarge.

I think this new graph will make nietzsche happy.

Btw, the graph contains all people who have posted in more than 100 threads in the past 50 pages.

And here's the data dump for everyone who posted in more than 5 threads:
show

New median is 8.7%.

Looks like you were right after all, nietz.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm about average then it looks like, eh?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm about average then it looks like, eh?

--Andy

I could teach you, but it would cost ya. And no, I don't accept payment in bananas.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm surprised I even registered on the chart since I generally only post once or twice in a thread.

Edit: Oh, I see that the logic behind the new graph has changed...makes sense then.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Ray Rider wrote:I'm surprised I even registered on the chart since I generally only post once or twice in a thread.

It just means you're that much more efficient lol.

Also, I've more than doubled. That hurts.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
Ray Rider wrote:I'm surprised I even registered on the chart since I generally only post once or twice in a thread.

It just means you're that much more efficient lol.

Also, I've more than doubled. That hurts.

-TG

Let me have the honor of taking the kill on this thread for you, TG.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,