Conquer Club

The Great War, new gameplay and advices needed

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War- TOTALY NEW, Feb 05, page 7

Postby Oneyed on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:56 am

iancanton wrote:i very much like the concept here of invasion routes thru the trenches only via the battlefields.
Last edited by Oneyed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:i very much like the concept here of invasion routes thru the trenches only via the battlefields.

wait. with battlefield you mean current version with "only" opposite armies (without battlefields as regions) or this* old version with battlefields as regions?

i mean the new version. instead of the two opposing armies, it's possible to have only a single battlefield region with killer neutral, as u did before, but u chose to keep the opposing armies, which is fine. do u receive a +1 bonus for holding f2 and g3, but -2 if u have neither burgundy nor bavaria, making a total of -1?

iancanton wrote:the explanation of the conditional borders is not clear at all and u will need a different wording.

Oneyed wrote:thanks. yes the legend and wording is allways nightmare for me :)

can u give an example of how u want it to work?

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:the map tries to cover too much territory, with the result that western and central europe, where the war was largely won and lost, looks tiny, while the ottoman empire has too many regions shown compared with its role in the war.

I know problem about Ottoman Empire. becasue the Ottoman Empire is easy to secure I add there more regions to gain this bonus harder. also this side of map is a little "closed" with a little maneuver possibilities. this needs to be solved...

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:i recommend that u draw a line roughly from petrograd to alexandria and delete all regions that are east of this line.

but we "need" Caucasus because the connection between Russian Empire and Ottoman Empire here is the bigest problem...

we can solve the above situations by adding the russian black sea fleet and letting it one-way bombard constantinople.

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:u're attempting to show the russian revolution too, which adds unnecessary complexity to the bonuses: the russian empire by itself is enough, while moscow, samara, the railway and the don cossacks participated in the russian revolution rather than the great war.

yes on one side you are right, but on the another side the revolution was part of these times and it adds realistic feature. maybe if we try more simple way how to add revolution there?

the trouble is that the russian revolution removed russia from the war, so the two conflicts were only weakly linked. there are inconsistencies caused by showing a railway only in russia but nowhere else and creating a russian empire bonus that is pointless because it can never be held except by holding the soviet bonus.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:51 am

iancanton wrote:do u receive a +1 bonus for holding f2 and g3, but -2 if u have neither burgundy nor bavaria, making a total of -1?

yes. my idea was that when you lost region in which is army located you can not supply army. but after your notice I see that this can not works this way...
so +2 for both opposite armies would be better?
iancanton wrote:can u give an example of how u want it to work?

the conditional borders for one way moving troops from capital to town with the same flag is only as reinforce, not for attacks. therefore you must hold both (capital and town and also entire capitals state).
example: you hold Ottoman Empire (with Constantinople ofcourse) but you can not attack Alexandria from Constantinople. but when you take Alexandria from Egypt (and you still hold Ottoman Empire) you can reinforce troops from Constantinople to Alexandria.

the conditional borders for one way moving troops from AEF to F2 is the similar case. you can not attack F2 from AEF (because conditional border tells that for moving troops you need hold both AEF and F2 and also Bordeaux), but when you take F2 from Burgundy and you hold also Bordeaux and AEF you can reinforce troops from AEF to F2.

maybe it looks confusing but I spoke with thenobodies about this and it is simple when I understand how game works:
1, check decay, bonuses, killer neutrals...
2, check assaults
3, check reinforce (so when you take F2 during step 2 you can reinforce from AEF to F2 - ofcourse if you hold entire conditional border)
iancanton wrote:we can solve the above situations by adding the russian black sea fleet and letting it one-way bombard constantinople.

but there will not be the way from Ottoman Empitre to Russia. and (mainly to the 1916) was also Ottomans active here - their ships from Germany bombard Russian towns and attack Russian ships.
what about add to Black sea Russian ship which could bombards Angora, Constantinople and Ottoman ship. and add there also Ottoman ship which could bombard Ukraine, Russia and Russian ship.
to show later Ottoman weakness their ship could:
- lose any armies each round?
- or revets to neutral?
- or maybe can not bombard Russian ship?
iancanton wrote:the trouble is that the russian revolution removed russia from the war, so the two conflicts were only weakly linked.

I can not agreed totaly here. the revolution was important event:
- Central powers moved all troops to western front
- Central powers gained all Ukraine, Batlic States, Belorusia
- Entete powers had new problem with support White Russians

so we could anyway shows revolution here.
iancanton wrote:there are inconsistencies caused by showing a railway only in russia but nowhere else and creating a russian empire bonus that is pointless because it can never be held except by holding the soviet bonus.

to hold Russian Empire you do not need Samara and Moscow, so you can hold Russian Empire without Soviet Union.

I strongly thought about more railways (Berlin-Wilhemshaven-Munich-Vienna-Budapest-Belgrade-Sofia). we could add any railways when central europe will be larger, I think.

thanks ian.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tkr4lf on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

I don't really have any useful comments here, just wanted to drop in and say that the current version of the map looks amazing. Very nice artwork, Oneyed.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Oneyed on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 pm

tkr4lf wrote:I don't really have any useful comments here, just wanted to drop in and say that the current version of the map looks amazing. Very nice artwork, Oneyed.

thank you. I am glad that you like it. hope the next version will be a little better ;)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:59 am

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:do u receive a +1 bonus for holding f2 and g3, but -2 if u have neither burgundy nor bavaria, making a total of -1?

yes. my idea was that when you lost region in which is army located you can not supply army. but after your notice I see that this can not works this way...
so +2 for both opposite armies would be better?

yes, +2 is better than +1.

Oneyed wrote:the conditional borders for one way moving troops from capital to town with the same flag is only as reinforce, not for attacks. therefore you must hold both (capital and town and also entire capitals state).
example: you hold Ottoman Empire (with Constantinople ofcourse) but you can not attack Alexandria from Constantinople. but when you take Alexandria from Egypt (and you still hold Ottoman Empire) you can reinforce troops from Constantinople to Alexandria.

that makes more sense now!

Oneyed wrote:what about add to Black sea Russian ship which could bombards Angora, Constantinople and Ottoman ship. and add there also Ottoman ship which could bombard Ukraine, Russia and Russian ship.
to show later Ottoman weakness their ship could:
- lose any armies each round?
- or revets to neutral?
- or maybe can not bombard Russian ship?

the idea i like best is to add a russian ship and ottoman ship with bombardments, but the ottoman ship cannot bombard the russian ship. this will allow u to remove the caucasus, the middle east and the entire right-hand side of the map east of the petrograd-alexandria line (possibly moving africa further west), with the space being used for a cleaner legend. certainly, merge derna with cyrenaica, since both were held by italian forces; no need to complicate things by adding derna separately, since no major battles took place there. similarly, merge dobruja with bulgaria, since it was under bulgarian control from the period of this map to the end of the war.

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:the trouble is that the russian revolution removed russia from the war, so the two conflicts were only weakly linked.

I can not agreed totaly here. the revolution was important event:
- Central powers moved all troops to western front
- Central powers gained all Ukraine, Batlic States, Belorusia
- Entete powers had new problem with support White Russians

so we could anyway shows revolution here.
iancanton wrote:there are inconsistencies caused by showing a railway only in russia but nowhere else and creating a russian empire bonus that is pointless because it can never be held except by holding the soviet bonus.

to hold Russian Empire you do not need Samara and Moscow, so you can hold Russian Empire without Soviet Union.

to show moscow on the map, but outside of the russian empire, is not common sense! possibly add a non-geographic lenin region, with neutrals, for the soviet bonus, instead of moscow, and remove samara?

Oneyed wrote:I strongly thought about more railways (Berlin-Wilhemshaven-Munich-Vienna-Budapest-Belgrade-Sofia). we could add any railways when central europe will be larger, I think.

this is possible if u stretch the western half of the map a little. also perhaps add hamburg as a german city, both to show germany's industrial might and to use the +2 bonus to compensate the german player for his difficult central position?

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:delete the sea route from marseille, so that france can attack italy only thru lombardy, which keeps more of the play in the middle of europe.

will be not Italy too closed? only Lombardy and Cyrenaica must be secured to hold Kingdom of Italy.

let malta and sicily border each other. this keeps the same number of border regions for italy as before, while not letting france have such a big advantage by stacking troops on marseille.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Oneyed, this is your best map so far. I believe that you will need to use the supersize that we have allowed you to use. You have up to 780x650 on the small. When you increase the size, don't increase the size of the map by the same amount because you will still need to make the legend clear and readable. Please pm me your supersize version so I can go over it with the other blue people.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: [Vacation - valid until Oct 2013] The Great War

Postby Oneyed on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:52 pm

what happends, this was after update moved to map foundry... also update is lost and some posts after it...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Armandolas on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:05 pm

site crash, last 24h lost
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Oneyed on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 pm

I see now, thanks Armandolas.
Last edited by Oneyed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: *[Vacation - valid until Oct 2013] The Great War

Postby Oneyed on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 pm

I understand that there was any problem with system and therefore was this map moved from Map foundry back to Recycling box (btw could this be moved back?), but I do not understand who changed/edited title of topic? there was wrote UPDATED, pg 8. now there is nothing and I did nothing...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: *[Vacation - valid until Oct 2013] The Great War

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:26 pm

sorry my fault, i didn't noticed the update.
Moved back, disregard the PM i have sent to you.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: The Great War - Update, Pg.8

Postby Oneyed on Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:35 pm

no problem nobodies :). and thank you.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:20 am

This look good for now...i'll have a closer look later. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:22 pm

let's try to understand the bonuses.

there are four types of land region: capital, town, province and army. capitals and towns have +1 autodeploy. if u hold the capital of a state, then u receive a home bonus of +2 for every 3 provinces and armies held in that state.

if u hold an entire state (capital, towns, provinces and armies), then u receive the state bonus. u also receive an occupation bonus of +1 for every 2 provinces and armies held in the opposite alliance, but only if u do not hold the capital of that state.

to receive the maximum occupation bonus, u must hold an entire entente powers state plus an entire central powers state.

am i correct?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:06 am

iancanton wrote:there are four types of land region: capital, town, province and army. capitals and towns have +1 autodeploy. if u hold the capital of a state, then u receive a home bonus of +2 for every 3 provinces and armies held in that state.

the armies are not part of states. I will mention this in legend, so this could be clear then. yes?
iancanton wrote:if u hold an entire state (capital, towns, provinces and armies), then u receive the state bonus.

yes. except armies.
iancanton wrote:u also receive an occupation bonus of +1 for every 2 provinces and armies held in the opposite alliance, but only if u do not hold the capital of that state.

again except armies. yes you reiceved occupation bonus to the time when you hold capital of "occupied" stateĀ“s regions. if you hold capital you receive bonus for capital and its regions only.
iancanton wrote:to receive the maximum occupation bonus, u must hold an entire entente powers state plus an entire central powers state.

no. my idea is that if you hold all Germany you will receive bonus for occupied regions in France.
when you take Paris you lost bonus for occupied regions of France. but you receive bonus for Paris and its regions.
the capitals are blockers.

I thought that I could add names to bonuses. "capitals bonus" and "occupation bonus", in legend of occupation could be wrote: occupation bonus does not valid when capitals bonus is held. or something similar.

it is realy pain for me to explain clear and shortly in english...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:there are four types of land region: capital, town, province and army. capitals and towns have +1 autodeploy. if u hold the capital of a state, then u receive a home bonus of +2 for every 3 provinces and armies held in that state.

the armies are not part of states. I will mention this in legend, so this could be clear then. yes?

yes.

Oneyed wrote:
iancanton wrote:to receive the maximum occupation bonus, u must hold an entire entente powers state plus an entire central powers state.

no. my idea is that if you hold all Germany you will receive bonus for occupied regions in France.
when you take Paris you lost bonus for occupied regions of France. but you receive bonus for Paris and its regions.

if u hold all germany, plus russia, moscow, 4 french non-capital regions and 4 ottoman non-capital regions, then u will receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, and +3 for 6 entente regions, but nothing for 4 ottoman regions (total +11). the next logical step is to conquer petrograd and aurora, to receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, +2 for soviet russia, +2 for 4 french regions and +2 for 4 ottoman regions (total +14). the advantage of holding an entire state in both alliances is that all non-capital regions count toward a bonus. to gain the biggest occupation bonus, u must hold an entire state on both sides, such as germany with soviet russia, am i right?

Oneyed wrote:I thought that I could add names to bonuses. "capitals bonus" and "occupation bonus", in legend of occupation could be wrote: occupation bonus does not valid when capitals bonus is held. or something similar.

i thought of the following description. however, it is too long.

occupation bonus: hold entire state of one alliance to receive +1 for every 2 town or province regions occupied in an enemy state; if you control the capital, then it is not an enemy state.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby iancanton on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Oneyed wrote:

yes.

Oneyed wrote:

if u hold all germany, plus russia, moscow, 4 french non-capital regions and 4 ottoman non-capital regions, then u will receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, and +3 for 6 entente regions, but nothing for 4 ottoman regions (total +11). the next logical step is to conquer petrograd and aurora, to receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, +2 for soviet russia, +2 for 4 french regions and +2 for 4 ottoman regions (total +14). the advantage of holding an entire state in both alliances is that all non-capital regions count toward a bonus. to gain the biggest occupation bonus, u must hold an entire state on both sides, such as germany with soviet russia, am i right?

Oneyed wrote:I thought that I could add names to bonuses. "capitals bonus" and "occupation bonus", in legend of occupation could be wrote: occupation bonus does not valid when capitals bonus is held. or something similar.

i thought of the following description. however, it is too long.

occupation bonus: hold entire state of one alliance to receive +1 for every 2 town or province regions occupied in an enemy state; if you control the capital, then it is not an enemy state.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Oneyed on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 am

iancanton wrote:if u hold all germany, plus russia, moscow, 4 french non-capital regions and 4 ottoman non-capital regions, then u will receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, and +3 for 6 entente regions, but nothing for 4 ottoman regions (total +11).

A
+2 for Germany
+4 for (7) german regions with capital (the towns are regions, it is mentioned in legend: "no bonus as region")
+2 for 4 french regions (central powers occupation bonus)
---------------------------
I think you mean that you hold all Russian Empire (Petrograd is capital and is needed, no Moscow).
+2 for Russia
+4 for (7) russian regions with capital
+2 for 4 ottoman regions (entete powers occupation bonus)

B
if you mean that Russian Empire is not held (with Petrograd) then you receive bonus also for russian regions (if all Germany is held).
then for ottoman regions it is 0.
iancanton wrote:the next logical step is to conquer petrograd and aurora, to receive +2 for germany, +6 for 9 german non-capital regions, +2 for soviet russia, +2 for 4 french regions and +2 for 4 ottoman regions (total +14). the advantage of holding an entire state in both alliances is that all non-capital regions count toward a bonus. to gain the biggest occupation bonus, u must hold an entire state on both sides, such as germany with soviet russia, am i right?

if B is correct then yes you need to conquer Petrograd (and when you still hold Germany you lost bonus for russian regions).
so it will be as A:
+2 for Germany
+4 for (7) german regions with capital (the towns are regions, it is mentioned in legend: "no bonus as region")
+2 for 4 french regions (central powers occupation bonus)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
+2 for Russian Empire
+4 for (7) russian regions with capital
+2 for 4 ottoman regions (entete powers occupation bonus)

when you conquer Aurora you lost all bonuses with Russian Empire. so you lose
2 for Russian Empire
4 for (7) russian regions
2 for 4 ottoman regions (entete powers occupation bonus)
and you will only receive Soviet Russia bonus
iancanton wrote:i thought of the following description. however, it is too long.

yes, a little too long :). I will try to find space in legend.

thank you.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:20 pm

i mean neither A nor B. by russia, i mean russia province (one region only). however, we know now that only provinces count toward the occupation bonus.

if u hold all germany, plus russia province, moscow, 4 french provinces and 4 ottoman provinces, then u will receive +2 for germany, +4 for berlin plus 7 german provinces and +2 for 5 entente provinces (central powers occupation bonus), but nothing for 4 ottoman provinces, giving a total of +8.

the next logical step is to conquer petrograd and aurora, to receive +2 for germany, +4 for berlin plus 7 german provinces, +2 for soviet russia, +2 for 4 french provinces (central powers occupation bonus) and +2 for 4 ottoman regions (entente powers occupation bonus), giving a total of +12.

the advantage of holding an entire state in both alliances is that all provinces count toward a bonus. to gain the biggest total bonus, u must hold an entire entente power with an entire central power, such as germany with soviet russia. if u hold two entire powers that are in the same alliance, such as germany with ottoman, then this is not as good because some provinces will gain no bonuses, am i right?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Oneyed, at quick glimpse...the longitude and latitiude lines are very strong...can you make them less obvious. i.e. 30% opacity
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:40 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. The map is moved to the Recycling Box and put into Vacation status for the next 6 months. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Cartographer Assistants will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: [Vacation - Valid till May 2013] The Great War

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 am

ah Koontz...May 2014 :idea:
Private cairnswk

Re: [Abandoned] The Great War

Postby Oneyed on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 pm

the new feature in xml "stages" kicked me to continue in work on this map. who does not know what "stages" are look here:
Last edited by Oneyed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: [Abandoned] The Great War, updated with new feature

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I love this map. I'm glad you're reviving it!
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry