Conquer Club

Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Gillipig on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:35 pm

john9blue wrote:
Gillipig wrote:You guys don't have laws on wearing bicycle helmets??? That's just retarded! Do you have laws for wearing seat belt in cars or is that optional too?


here in america we enjoy a little something called FREEDOM

bald_eagle.jpg

I love how someone who lives in a barely functioning democracy is telling someone living in the worlds most democratic country that he has something called freedom. Haha, you made my day johnny boy.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Lootifer on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

What I think boggles me the most with you guys is you dont seem to be very pragmatic in your approach to freedom. I think you guys need to pick your battles better.

One of these things is worth fighting for and one maybe not so much...

- Bike helmet regulation
- Transparency and Anti-corruption in Big Business/Government interactions
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
User avatar
Lieutenant Lootifer
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Competing
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Gillipig wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Gillipig wrote:You guys don't have laws on wearing bicycle helmets??? That's just retarded! Do you have laws for wearing seat belt in cars or is that optional too?


here in america we enjoy a little something called FREEDOM

bald_eagle.jpg

I love how someone who lives in a barely functioning democracy is telling someone living in the worlds most democratic country that he has something called freedom. Haha, you made my day johnny boy.


Well, in his defense, he did already post that he was being facetious.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby john9blue on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:24 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Ok...Ill accept the facetious part, but as I asked, does that mean you think that those other laws are infringements of your freedom? And if so, which ones?

Having to spend money on airbags, seat belts, proper tires, brakes, bumpers? Which are responsible laws and which tremble greatly on your false sense of freedom to choose?

As a follow up question, does the relativity of your objection not become incredibly obvious?

Sometimes, because you can make a law, it means you absolutely should.

Being against laws, just because they are laws is just an utterly ridiculous stance.

In a very real way, it is laws that give you most of your freedom.

Irony is just a big bad bitch that way.


i'm not saying that laws which limit your freedom are inherently bad (although i think the vast majority of them are)

but yeah, restrictions on car manufacturers are freedom-limiting because they only affect the customer

on the other hand, drunk driving laws (for example) ensure public safety and therefore ensure freedom rather than limiting it

so no, i'm not against laws just because they're laws... that would make me an anarchist.

you like misrepresenting my position for some reason. do you read my posts?

Gillipig wrote:I love how someone who lives in a barely functioning democracy is telling someone living in the worlds most democratic country that he has something called freedom. Haha, you made my day johnny boy.


hey

hey gilly

shh
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
User avatar
Captain john9blue
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: FlutterChi-town
Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm

can we vote gillipig off the forum?
mrswdk is a ho
User avatar
Captain Army of GOD
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm
Medals: 29
Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:54 pm

AAFitz wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Gillipig wrote:You guys don't have laws on wearing bicycle helmets??? That's just retarded! Do you have laws for wearing seat belt in cars or is that optional too?


here in america we enjoy a little something called FREEDOM

bald_eagle.jpg


Except....when using public property, there are many laws you must obey. :roll:


Because nothing affects the public like an unbuckled person.

-TG


Actually, and I apologize if you did previously suffer a head injury from not wearing a helmet...BBS and I, with the help of the CDC conclusively showed that those not wearing helmets, and similarly those unbuckled, very much affect the public to the tune of multiple billions of dollars. :roll:


No, not if the rider crashes. Unhelmeted riders injured in a crash have substantially higher healthcare costs than helmeted riders. When the rider is insured, these costs are passed on to others in the form of higher health insurance premiums. Unhelmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured than other riders. When the riders are uninsured, their medical expenses may be paid for using taxpayers’ funds.


If this is your reasoning for supporting mandatory helmet/seatbelt laws, I expect you to likewise support mandatory diet laws, mandatory eugenics programs, and mandatory prophylactic laws. All of these things contribute to the "higher health insurance premiums" and medical expenses being paid with "taxpayers' funds."

You're confusing a sensible law (drunk driving, e.g.) with an enforced money draw (seat belt laws). I shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or helmet if I don't want to. If I crash my bike and become disabled, I or my family must pay the costs. If I had free healthcare then your argument would be valid, but as it stands the only person that pays is me (legally and morally). The fact that health insurance, a program that has ruined health care in the U.S., decides to increase their premiums has nothing to do with me, because 1) insurance is voluntary, and 2) I've lived almost my entire life without health insurance. Because you wish to buy into the scam of insurance has nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't have to accommodate your lifestyle through enforced programs.

-TG
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:10 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Gillipig wrote:You guys don't have laws on wearing bicycle helmets??? That's just retarded! Do you have laws for wearing seat belt in cars or is that optional too?


here in america we enjoy a little something called FREEDOM

bald_eagle.jpg


Except....when using public property, there are many laws you must obey. :roll:


Because nothing affects the public like an unbuckled person.

-TG


Actually, and I apologize if you did previously suffer a head injury from not wearing a helmet...BBS and I, with the help of the CDC conclusively showed that those not wearing helmets, and similarly those unbuckled, very much affect the public to the tune of multiple billions of dollars. :roll:


No, not if the rider crashes. Unhelmeted riders injured in a crash have substantially higher healthcare costs than helmeted riders. When the rider is insured, these costs are passed on to others in the form of higher health insurance premiums. Unhelmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured than other riders. When the riders are uninsured, their medical expenses may be paid for using taxpayers’ funds.


If this is your reasoning for supporting mandatory helmet/seatbelt laws, I expect you to likewise support mandatory diet laws, mandatory eugenics programs, and mandatory prophylactic laws. All of these things contribute to the "higher health insurance premiums" and medical expenses being paid with "taxpayers' funds."

You're confusing a sensible law (drunk driving, e.g.) with an enforced money draw (seat belt laws). I shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or helmet if I don't want to. If I crash my bike and become disabled, I or my family must pay the costs. If I had free healthcare then your argument would be valid, but as it stands the only person that pays is me (legally and morally). The fact that health insurance, a program that has ruined health care in the U.S., decides to increase their premiums has nothing to do with me, because 1) insurance is voluntary, and 2) I've lived almost my entire life without health insurance. Because you wish to buy into the scam of insurance has nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't have to accommodate your lifestyle through enforced programs.

-TG


Actually, you are the one confused.

You simply think new safety features are silly because you remember a time without them.

There are safety features you don't argue against, because they are so obvious and you've lived with them for so long, you would consider it stupid not to have them.

As far as insurance being a scam, it does seem that way for some who never had a claim, but I know a few people who are alive right now, that surely would have been dead without it, after millions of dollars of health care.

Statistically, it may even be a scam, much like the lottery, but if you lose the lottery you are out a buck or two. If you lose on health care, you are out....everything.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 pm

john9blue wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Ok...Ill accept the facetious part, but as I asked, does that mean you think that those other laws are infringements of your freedom? And if so, which ones?

Having to spend money on airbags, seat belts, proper tires, brakes, bumpers? Which are responsible laws and which tremble greatly on your false sense of freedom to choose?

As a follow up question, does the relativity of your objection not become incredibly obvious?

Sometimes, because you can make a law, it means you absolutely should.

Being against laws, just because they are laws is just an utterly ridiculous stance.

In a very real way, it is laws that give you most of your freedom.

Irony is just a big bad bitch that way.


i'm not saying that laws which limit your freedom are inherently bad (although i think the vast majority of them are)

but yeah, restrictions on car manufacturers are freedom-limiting because they only affect the customer

on the other hand, drunk driving laws (for example) ensure public safety and therefore ensure freedom rather than limiting it

so no, i'm not against laws just because they're laws... that would make me an anarchist.

you like misrepresenting my position for some reason. do you read my posts?




Im not actually representing your position as anything....Im directly asking you what it is, and you avoided answering quite a few of them.

I do make some statements, but they are not directed at you, unless you are guilty of them.

You, like many others, when asked which laws are wrong, simply answer that many are wrong, but when dealing with the specifics and actual details tend to shy away.

So, should antilock brakes not be standard?
Should seatbelts not be standard?
Should bumpers not be standard?
Should emission standards not be set?
Should directionals be optional?
Should any vehicle in any shape be ok to drive?

There are thousands of safety precautions on vehicles, because car accidents are one of the leading causes of death for Americans.

I have seen many of these safety improvements become standard in the 28 years Ive been driving, and while many were cutting edge and controversial to varying degrees when implemented, now they are so common, and obviously necessary that any reasonable person would be silly to argue they are not necessary.

Now, if you want to go drive some substandard vehicle on your private ranch and take the risk of killing yourself, that is freedom, and in most cases it should not be infringed, but when using public roads that affect society at large, as a group and individually, you absolutely should have to follow those safety rules.

While you consider it your right to drive around like a jackass without a helmet or a seat belt, you in a very real way do affect me, because I bear that risk as well, if we get into an accident, which do happen. If I make one mistake, and you arent wearing your seat belt, or a helmet, you may be geometrically more harmed than if you followed some basic, obvious safety precautions, and therefore, very much infringe on my freedom. I am financially responsible for your stupidity in this case, and relatively speaking, only because, at the current moment, you consider some safety features to be unnecessary, that eventually, will be the norm.

Further, as far as a freedom stripping law goes, wearing a seat belt or a helmet, is so non-constricting as to suggest any complaint about it, is from an irrational narcissist.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Ray Rider on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Here in my part of Canada we have laws mandating helmet use for those under 18, however adults are free to choose. Seems reasonable to me. Children are the much more likely to be involved in a bicycle accident anyway. I used to ride 6km roundtrip to work every day and wore a helmet just to be safe. Why would I needlessly risk cracking my skull? That said, I wouldn't wear a helmet for short rides around home or off in the countryside.
Image
Image
Highest score: 2221
User avatar
Major Ray Rider
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 pm
Location: In front of my computer, duh!
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:26 pm

AAfitz wrote:Actually, you are the one confused.

You simply think new safety features are silly because you remember a time without them.

There are safety features you don't argue against, because they are so obvious and you've lived with them for so long, you would consider it stupid not to have them.

As far as insurance being a scam, it does seem that way for some who never had a claim, but I know a few people who are alive right now, that surely would have been dead without it, after millions of dollars of health care.

Statistically, it may even be a scam, much like the lottery, but if you lose the lottery you are out a buck or two. If you lose on health care, you are out....everything.


lol. I'm 25. Helmet and seat belt laws have been around for about as long as I can remember. Again, you're mistaking sensible safety features that actually provide means of protection with those that are intrusive and an excuse for cops to pull you over and give you citations, thereby also giving them an excuse to search your car. If failure to wear a seat belt or helmet is indeed the terrible public offense that you make it out to be, then one's license should be revoked instead of a $75-90 fine.

What's the single most influential factor in rising health care costs?

-TG
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAfitz wrote:Actually, you are the one confused.

You simply think new safety features are silly because you remember a time without them.

There are safety features you don't argue against, because they are so obvious and you've lived with them for so long, you would consider it stupid not to have them.

As far as insurance being a scam, it does seem that way for some who never had a claim, but I know a few people who are alive right now, that surely would have been dead without it, after millions of dollars of health care.

Statistically, it may even be a scam, much like the lottery, but if you lose the lottery you are out a buck or two. If you lose on health care, you are out....everything.


lol. I'm 25. Helmet and seat belt laws have been around for about as long as I can remember. Again, you're mistaking sensible safety features that actually provide means of protection with those that are intrusive and an excuse for cops to pull you over and give you citations, thereby also giving them an excuse to search your car. If failure to wear a seat belt or helmet is indeed the terrible public offense that you make it out to be, then one's license should be revoked instead of a $75-90 fine.

What's the single most influential factor in rising health care costs?

-TG


Arguing the appropriate punishment of the crime, is completely different than arguing if it is a crime at all. If you are now arguing that it should not be a crime, but that it should be punished more fiercely.

Also, you are only 25, so really, you've just been lucky...and I simply suggest you continue to do so.

And your question is irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:33 pm

AAFitz wrote:Also, you are only 25, so really, you've just been lucky...and I simply suggest you continue to do so.


OK. Thanks! I've never, ever been out in the real world!

-TG
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 2211
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:Also, you are only 25, so really, you've just been lucky...and I simply suggest you continue to do so.


OK. Thanks! I've never, ever been out in the real world!

-TG


I know.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby 2dimes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:Also, you are only 25, so really, you've just been lucky...and I simply suggest you continue to do so.


OK. Thanks! I've never, ever been out in the real world!

-TG

It's over rated. As long as someone brings me cheeseburgers life's good.
Want to go for a rip on my Jackwagon?
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Hibernation room.
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Lootifer on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Army of GOD wrote:can we vote gillipig off the forum?

AAFitz can go first I reckon.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
User avatar
Lieutenant Lootifer
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Competing
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 am

Lootifer wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:can we vote gillipig off the forum?

AAFitz can go first I reckon.


If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby 2dimes on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

At which point a helmet would have defeated the purpose.
Want to go for a rip on my Jackwagon?
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Hibernation room.
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Lootifer wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:can we vote gillipig off the forum?

AAFitz can go first I reckon.


Yeah, seems like this was a bad thread for both of them.
I liked how fitz seamlessly went from accusing Tails of being old and stubborn to being young and inexperienced.

Btw. didn't see this on the CDC website. Is the reduction in no. of people using bikes because they won't wear helmets taken into account?

i.e. if we make it mandatory that you strap a pink dildo to your forehead while riding a bike I'm gonna bet that bike accidents are going to significantly drop. But probably not because the dildo makes you safer.

Oh, and for the record, the Q&A on the CDC website is complete bullshit.
Do helmet laws interfere with a person’s freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet?

Yes. Many laws restrict people’s freedom to perform behaviors judged contrary to the public good. These include drunk driving laws, cellphone use laws, and infectious disease quarantine laws, to name a few. Courts usually uphold such laws as important to the nation’s well-being.

Notice a slight distinction between the cases they present and helmet laws? Like maybe how all of those behaviors directly impact others?

If a motorcyclist chooses not to wear a helmet, does it only affect him?

No, not if the rider crashes. Unhelmeted riders injured in a crash have substantially higher healthcare costs than helmeted riders. When the rider is insured, these costs are passed on to others in the form of higher health insurance premiums. Unhelmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured than other riders. When the riders are uninsured, their medical expenses may be paid for using taxpayers’ funds.

Oh cool. So then if I'm insured I can ride without a helmet, correct ?
Also, when is McDonals's becoming illegal? Coke taxed like nicotine? No? Hmm, that's odd, almost like there might be a double standard there. Nah, that couldn't be it.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other regarding these laws, but this bullshit peddling really gets on my nerves. It smells way too much of "reefer madness" campaigns.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby 2dimes on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I read a debate between guys about Motorcycle Helmet laws. Two paramedics chimed in that if you're travelling over city speed you just tend to die in a slightly different manner if you're wearing one.

They don't bother me since I've worn one since I started riding at like 6. I suspect they are much more effective on a bicycle yet tend to tan my head when I ride one of those.
Want to go for a rip on my Jackwagon?
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Hibernation room.
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
AAFitz wrote:Also, you are only 25, so really, you've just been lucky...and I simply suggest you continue to do so.


OK. Thanks! I've never, ever been out in the real world!

-TG

Here is a nearly 10 minute dramatization of TA1LGUNN3R's existence.




--Andy
User avatar
Sergeant AndyDufresne
 
Posts: 24913
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:If this is your reasoning for supporting mandatory helmet/seatbelt laws, I expect you to likewise support mandatory diet laws, mandatory eugenics programs, and mandatory prophylactic laws. All of these things contribute to the "higher health insurance premiums" and medical expenses being paid with "taxpayers' funds."

You're confusing a sensible law (drunk driving, e.g.) with an enforced money draw (seat belt laws). I shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or helmet if I don't want to. If I crash my bike and become disabled, I or my family must pay the costs. If I had free healthcare then your argument would be valid, but as it stands the only person that pays is me (legally and morally). The fact that health insurance, a program that has ruined health care in the U.S., decides to increase their premiums has nothing to do with me, because 1) insurance is voluntary, and 2) I've lived almost my entire life without health insurance. Because you wish to buy into the scam of insurance has nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't have to accommodate your lifestyle through enforced programs.

-TG


PREACH ON BROTHER!

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Do helmet laws interfere with a person’s freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet?

Yes. Many laws restrict people’s freedom to perform behaviors judged contrary to the public good. These include drunk driving laws, cellphone use laws, and infectious disease quarantine laws, to name a few. Courts usually uphold such laws as important to the nation’s well-being.
Notice a slight distinction between the cases they present and helmet laws? Like maybe how all of those behaviors directly impact others?


Yes they do, but look at all these other bad things that have laws against them!

I'm surprised they didn't add "murder and pedophilia" to the list.

Also, "important to the nation's well-being" is not the standard. The standard is "compelling state interest." Big, humongous difference.

Fucking CDC. BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6751
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby crispybits on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Sod the financials, if I'm driving and through no fault of my own hit a cyclist wearing a helmet and he is badly injured but recovers, that will have a very different effect on me than if, through no fault of my own, I hit a cyclist not wearing a helmet and he dies. If nothing else because at least I can try and ease any (undeserved) guilt I may feel to someone who is still alive afterwards, but there's nothing I can do for someone who has died. We read occasionally about people who have killed people completely accidentally who struggle with that for the rest of their lives, with the fact that it has a profound effect on them.

Wearing a helmet while cycling is hardly an infringement on freedom any more than people having to wear clothes in shopping malls. To claim that it's "big bad government taking away my freedom!" is just plain ridiculous.
User avatar
Major crispybits
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (9)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby AAFitz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
Lootifer wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:can we vote gillipig off the forum?

AAFitz can go first I reckon.


Yeah, seems like this was a bad thread for both of them.
I liked how fitz seamlessly went from accusing Tails of being old and stubborn to being young and inexperienced.

Btw. didn't see this on the CDC website. Is the reduction in no. of people using bikes because they won't wear helmets taken into account?

i.e. if we make it mandatory that you strap a pink dildo to your forehead while riding a bike I'm gonna bet that bike accidents are going to significantly drop. But probably not because the dildo makes you safer.

Oh, and for the record, the Q&A on the CDC website is complete bullshit.
Do helmet laws interfere with a person’s freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet?

Yes. Many laws restrict people’s freedom to perform behaviors judged contrary to the public good. These include drunk driving laws, cellphone use laws, and infectious disease quarantine laws, to name a few. Courts usually uphold such laws as important to the nation’s well-being.

Notice a slight distinction between the cases they present and helmet laws? Like maybe how all of those behaviors directly impact others?

If a motorcyclist chooses not to wear a helmet, does it only affect him?

No, not if the rider crashes. Unhelmeted riders injured in a crash have substantially higher healthcare costs than helmeted riders. When the rider is insured, these costs are passed on to others in the form of higher health insurance premiums. Unhelmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured than other riders. When the riders are uninsured, their medical expenses may be paid for using taxpayers’ funds.

Oh cool. So then if I'm insured I can ride without a helmet, correct ?
Also, when is McDonals's becoming illegal? Coke taxed like nicotine? No? Hmm, that's odd, almost like there might be a double standard there. Nah, that couldn't be it.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other regarding these laws, but this bullshit peddling really gets on my nerves. It smells way too much of "reefer madness" campaigns.


Sorry, its you that should leave. Using the appropriate safety gear on public roads is just a standard thing to do.

You can compare it to a glass of coke all you want, but its utterly ridiculous. Further, there are many substances that are illegal for McDonalds to sell, because eating them, is just that dangerous.

You are actually the one with the double standard, and I understand your philosophy on the situation, but in reality, using publicly maintained and installed streets and sidewalks, comes with a responsibility to use them safely.

On your own ranch, it would be an infringement of your rights. In public areas, its simply your choice to follow the rules or not.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 86
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

AntiAircraftFitz wrote:no u
mrswdk is a ho
User avatar
Captain Army of GOD
 
Posts: 7040
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm
Medals: 29
Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Bike helmet laws shown to reduce number of injuries

Postby Lootifer on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:If this is your reasoning for supporting mandatory helmet/seatbelt laws, I expect you to likewise support mandatory diet laws, mandatory eugenics programs, and mandatory prophylactic laws. All of these things contribute to the "higher health insurance premiums" and medical expenses being paid with "taxpayers' funds."

Diet and prophylactic laws would be unenforcable; thus it doesnt make sense for them to be laws. I do however very much support government campaigns that educate and promote the use of healthy lifestyles and use of contreception (read: spending money on convincing people to not be fat and have unwanted pregnancies).

Eugenics is slightly different; its a grey/sliding scale in terms of ethics; telling someone they are too fat and should go on a diet is one thing, telling someone they cant have kids because their genes are a detriment to society is, for me, probably one bridge too far.

Tangent: I see democracy as needing to intervene here (and to me should intervene only on this kind of case by case basis rather than the two horse charade we currently use): This is something we should vote on as a population and decide where, along this grey scale, we should set our ethical limits.

You're confusing a sensible law (drunk driving, e.g.) with an enforced money draw (seat belt laws). I shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or helmet if I don't want to. If I crash my bike and become disabled, I or my family must pay the costs. If I had free healthcare then your argument would be valid, but as it stands the only person that pays is me (legally and morally). The fact that health insurance, a program that has ruined health care in the U.S., decides to increase their premiums has nothing to do with me, because 1) insurance is voluntary, and 2) I've lived almost my entire life without health insurance. Because you wish to buy into the scam of insurance has nothing to do with me, and I shouldn't have to accommodate your lifestyle through enforced programs.

Once again I shall state that I really think freedom for the sake of freedom is stupid. Just put your fucking helmet on.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
User avatar
Lieutenant Lootifer
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Competing
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to I Didn't Like Cats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users