Conquer Club

College question

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: College question

Postby Timminz on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Take the tuition money and send him to live somewhere exceptionally foreign for a few years.

He would probably learn more from that than university would teach him in the same amount of time.
Captain Timminz

Postby qwertylpc on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:25 pm

I can relate to the laziness, my Chem grade has dropped 22 points from a 99 to a 77. #senioritis
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby john9blue on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 am

Timminz wrote:Take the tuition money and send him to live somewhere exceptionally foreign for a few years.

He would probably learn more from that than university would teach him in the same amount of time.

or die of malaria
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 am

thegreekdog wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:that was being nice. He's bright, and can get an "A" just about anytime he wants, but usually doesn't bother and ends up with C or less in most subjects most of the time. He inherits a lazy streak from me - though I've learnt over the years to give myself a kick up the bum. He hasn't got the hang of that yet.

If he's bright, then maybe he will eventually want to go to college. New Jersey has Rutgers and some other state schools (most of my cousins went to Trenton State). Pennsylvania has some pretty good state schools as well. It should not be a big deal to get into one of those schools.

Getting into PA colleges is not a big deal as long as you don't mind paying some pretty hefty tuition. I would not suggest that investment unless you were more sure of the return... that is, if he finds a program he likes and is excited about, otherwise you will be largely wasting your money.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:Private schools tend to be pricier, but often offer better scholarships, particularly for kids who are not quite average. Having lived in the UK can easily be one of those "not average" points.

What's that supposed to mean?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Private schools tend to be pricier, but often offer better scholarships, particularly for kids who are not quite average. Having lived in the UK can easily be one of those "not average" points.

What's that supposed to mean?

Having experience in other countries is considered valuable because it provides kids with experiences/perspectives those who have never been outside the US. It is one stated reason why many colleges actively recruit a percentage of foreign students, but having US kids that can provide that is considered beneficial.

Basically, good colleges want to attract kids who can bring all sorts of things "to the table" -- it may be excelling in something (or several something's), or it may mean having unusual upbringing/experiences, it may be having an unusual skill --- (yodelling or bamboo tennis racket construction, whatever). How they judge that varies, but yeah.. having spent time in other countries, particularly more than just a short visit, can be one of those things.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:08 pm

I have to say, do NOT put "I am an ace rimmer" on your application. It seems to have kept me from the Ivy League :(

For some reason though, University of San Francisco offered me a full scholarship
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby Timminz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:59 pm

john9blue wrote:
Timminz wrote:Take the tuition money and send him to live somewhere exceptionally foreign for a few years.

or die of malaria

I'm a strong proponent of life-long learning.
Captain Timminz

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I have to say, do NOT put "I am an ace rimmer" on your application. It seems to have kept me from the Ivy League :(

For some reason though, University of San Francisco offered me a full scholarship

smoke me a kipper.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:39 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:I have to say, do NOT put "I am an ace rimmer" on your application. It seems to have kept me from the Ivy League :(

smoke me a kipper.

LOL.... there actually is such a University---- US San Francisco, to be exact (or there used to be... maybe I ought to have checked before writing that? :? )
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am

I looked it up to make sure there was one first. Actually I looked to see where Berkeley was, I didn't think it was in SF but I wasn't positive.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby oVo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

Oakland is just across the bay from SF.
Major oVo

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:25 pm

oVo wrote:Oakland is just across the bay from SF.

UC Berkeley is in [gasp] Berkeley. Its a couple cities over from Oakland. ;)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 am

Same advice I give anyone set on higher education- consider options outside the country.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby CBlake on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I know some people who went to a Community College for 2 years, and then transferred to a University for the remaining 2 years of undergrad.

--Andy

Me.
dcowboys055 wrote:The alaska PD pwned you brian.
Captain CBlake

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,