Conquer Club

Escalating etiquette

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Escalating etiquette

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 am

Seulessliathan wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote: In summation I would have to say that there really is no advantage in missing turns except perhaps when dealing with weaker players but then just sneezing and blowing one's nose may be to one's advantage when playing with weaker players. LOL.---

Your conclusion is incorrect. There are some situations where missing a turn gives you a huge advantage which can turn a game which is otherwise lost into a win or at least a great chance to win. Imo there should be a rule about abuse for this behaviour.

Well then, could you explain it to me? Because I really do not see how that tactic would work against more experienced players.

An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby Seulessliathan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:
Seulessliathan wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote: In summation I would have to say that there really is no advantage in missing turns except perhaps when dealing with weaker players but then just sneezing and blowing one's nose may be to one's advantage when playing with weaker players. LOL.---

Your conclusion is incorrect. There are some situations where missing a turn gives you a huge advantage which can turn a game which is otherwise lost into a win or at least a great chance to win. Imo there should be a rule about abuse for this behaviour.

Well then, could you explain it to me? Because I really do not see how that tactic would work against more experienced players.

Have you send a pm to Kaskavel and mc05025? If not, please do this first. If you did and got a negative response, let me know please, then i will explain it to you.
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Postby oss spy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Missing a turn is not against the rules, but it's what we here like to call a "dick move." I personally rate those people with 1 star all around.
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

Postby 72o on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:14 pm

It is poor etiquette to call one person out and tell them "gg, nice positioning" when all 8 people are still in the game and no one has even attempted an elimination run.

Some idiot just did this to me and of course I got eliminated immediately thereafter when multiple people started attacking me.
Sergeant 72o

Postby pickleofdoom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm

**accidentally hit "quote" instead of "edit". see below...

:?
Last edited by pickleofdoom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel pickleofdoom

Postby pickleofdoom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I rarely avoid carding just so as to avoid cashing for 4, for the reasons which have been explained. But sometimes i will check on a 4 card set if it is enough to cash and make a sweep the next turn (i.e. target is currently on 3) and going to 5 would decrease my chances of survival (eg if all players have 3 cards, so anyone with a 3 card set could take me out). This is definately part of strategy and i have never seen anyone frown upon such a move.

The possibility of turtling on 1 card is a bit more puzling. On another site i play on, as well as giving ponts for second and third place, another difference is the games are 30 seconds per turn. So turtling on 1 card in a bad position is standard practice.
On conquerclub there is no prize for 2nd which may explain in part why turtling on 1 card in classic is so rare. However you could win if someone misses a kill (which is why turtling on 1 is most likely better than on 0). On CC a speed game can last for two hours or so, so it is not very satisfying to just sit and do nothing all that time. But this is less of an issue in 24 hour games, since you are not sat waiting in between turns, and if you have many games on the go there is no great psychological aversion to being inactive in one of them. So i would guess that the reason it is rare in 24 hour games this is in part an etiquette thing too.

Missing a turn on 5 seems like cheating to me. In a few situations it can give advantage, i have seen players get winning positions that way in a game or two. However by doing so you are gaining an unfair advantage over those who are unwilling to delay the game in such a way. And as someone pointed out the actual rules of the board game make it impossible to miss.
Colonel pickleofdoom

Postby Degenerate Saint on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 am

Unfortunately, I have missed a handful of turns. Not a multitude, but a few. Regardless of whether or not there is an advantage that may arise from this, I am strongly of the opinion that this is not in the realm of defensible strategy. My humble opinion is that you basically make a commitment when you join a game to the other players that basically amounts to an unspoken agreement: You will play as timely as schedule warrants, and you WILL act during your turn unless unusual circumstances prevent it.

Intentionally slipping a turn when a potential benefit is gleaned from this practice is not some form of creative strategizing. It is a back door maneuver, devoid of any shred of honorable gamesmanship, and I'd assert that identifiable patterned behavior of this kind merits some kind of censure or reprimand. Simply...it's inconsiderate to the people you play with. And hijacking the time of others and the enjoyment they get from the game lacks any integrity whatsoever.

As far as deadbeating...I have a hard time understanding how people can do that without feeling some internal derision. I had a player quit after ONE turn lol. Deployed all, attacked a 3, lost 6 troops, and never took another turn. It was almost funny...in a sad sort of way. I'll play with one troop left and try when there is no hope. Seems like the right thing to do.

1 YEAR

++I'm not accepting any game invites for a little while. Going to let my current slate of games run down, then take about a month off.++
Lieutenant Degenerate Saint

Postby EricPhail on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am

I believe in playing all my turns (so am against skipping for any reason - just a personal thing), timing out is annoying sometimes (in sequential, I don't like seeing that guy in front has just started his turn and hanging around only to need to wait for an hour).

I can't see any excuse for outright missing a turn in freestyle (just wait for the last minute like everybody else)

taking a turn where you just deploy stack and reinforce but don't attack is fine by me (after all aside from lost troops, this is what happens if you merely fail to conquer anything, and trying to the point of running out is suicidal)

(But what do I know being but a freemium who's only been here a month and a half)
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby amundsentb on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 am

Is it allowed to reveal your spoils during a game?
Colonel amundsentb

Postby Just_essence on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I do not believe there is a rule against it.
Private Just_essence

Postby darth emperor on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

Is not against the rules. But apart from nuke games I don't see the purpose about it. Unless, you are talking about having a set or not (instead of spoils' name). In any case, is allowed .
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion