Conquer Club

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Total votes : 0

Re: Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Ray Rider wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I typed this before, but imagine you are in the same position as this slave and make your determination on that basis. We know the relevant pieces of information as I laid out in handy list format above. Stahr provided even further evidence for the coercive aspect of the relationship; namely that she had to bargain to have her children not be slaves.]

You're not really making any sense now. It would be impossible for a slave in a truly coercive relationship to bargain with their master. It would be a case of "do what I say or I'll have you whipped," not "if you do x for me, I'll do y for you."

Yup, exactly. TGD has reduced bargaining to something indicative of coercion which makes little sense, but in a convoluted way it supports his position--on poor grounds.

ITT, in general, the opposition has built a nice wall of arguments, but I'm still going to point to the huge crack in their foundation. They can ignore it all they like or imagined that it's paved over, but that doesn't change the problem with some of their fundamental assumptions.

Given that I disproved the basis of Ray's "she made a bargain" argument in the post just above yours, I'm unsure why you're pursuing it.

Your comments about French law don't pertain to this discussion--especially the part in bold.

Whatever your response may be, please consider the following to gain the relevant context:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=187020&start=210#p4098911

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=187020&start=210#p4099491

Your discussion on French law bears no relevance to the above links, so I'll respond to you when you've caught up. Otherwise, it's a waste of my time.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Ray Rider wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I typed this before, but imagine you are in the same position as this slave and make your determination on that basis. We know the relevant pieces of information as I laid out in handy list format above. Stahr provided even further evidence for the coercive aspect of the relationship; namely that she had to bargain to have her children not be slaves.]

You're not really making any sense now. It would be impossible for a slave in a truly coercive relationship to bargain with their master. It would be a case of "do what I say or I'll have you whipped," not "if you do x for me, I'll do y for you."

Yup, exactly. TGD has reduced bargaining to something indicative of coercion which makes little sense, but in a convoluted way it supports his position--on poor grounds.

ITT, in general, the opposition has built a nice wall of arguments, but I'm still going to point to the huge crack in their foundation. They can ignore it all they like or imagined that it's paved over, but that doesn't change the problem with some of their fundamental assumptions.

Given that I disproved the basis of Ray's "she made a bargain" argument in the post just above yours, I'm unsure why you're pursuing it.

Your comments about French law don't pertain to this discussion

They are relevant when the basis of the argument is that she was free under French law. A clear falsehood.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 pm

And you did a poor job refuting Ray's points that it was, but I don't expect much from you--especially since you refuse to understand the discussion between TGD and I.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:And you did a poor job refuting Ray's points that it was, but I don't expect much from you--especially since you refuse to understand the discussion between TGD and I.

I provided evidence showing his argument was false. I'm sorry that you based your premise on a false notion of negotiation. The idea that she was free doesn't hold water.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Symmetry wrote:The reference to the constitution was, of course, something you brought up.

The reference to the constitution was a minor detail in a quote laying claim to the fact that Sally could claim her freedom in France, a fact verified by Sally's son and Sally's master, although strangely you appear to be endeavoring to avoid that fact.

Symmetry wrote:Feels free at any time to point out the law you and Stahr think existed making slavery illegal in France while Jefferson was there.

Sure, slavery was declared illegal in France on July 3, 1315 by Louis X:
"Whereas, according to natural right, everyone should be born free, and whereas, by certain customs which from long age, have been introduced into and preserved to this day in our kingdom....many persons amongst our common people have fallen into the bonds of slavery, which much displeaseth us; we, considering that our kingdom is called and named the kingdom of the Free...have by our grand council decreed and do decree that generally throughout our whole kingdom, such serfdom be redeemed to freedom, on fair and suitable conditions...and we will, likewise, that all other lords who have body-men (or serfs) do take example by us to bring them to freedom."

The laws varied on the matter between that time and 1789 and there was much disagreement between the various federal, colonial, and regional courts; however as I've already mentioned multiple times (yes, I'm trying to get you to at least respond to it), evidence from the time from both Madison and Jefferson point to the undeniable fact that Sally could have claimed her freedom while in France.

Here, I'll post it again in case you missed it the first couple times:

When Mr. Jefferson went to France Martha was just budding into womanhood. Their stay (my mother's and Maria's) was about eighteen months. But during that time my mother became Mr. Jefferson's concubine, and when he was called back home she was enciente by him. He desired to bring my mother back to Virginia with him but she demurred. She was just beginning to understand the French language well, and in France she was free, while if she returned to Virginia she would be re-enslaved. So she refused to return with him. To induce her to do so he promised her extraordinary privileges, and made a solemn pledge that her children should be freed at the age of twenty-one years. In consequence of his promise, on which she implicitly relied, she returned with him to Virginia. Soon after their arrival, she gave birth to a child, of whom Thomas Jefferson was the father. It lived but a short time. She gave birth to four others, and Jefferson was the father of all of them. Their names were Beverly, Harriet, Madison (myself), and Eston--three sons and one daughter. We all became free agreeably to the treaty entered into by our parents before we were born. We all married and have raised families.

Jefferson had something of a problem keeping two slaves in France with him, however. According to French law, slavery was illegal, and they could petition for their freedom. During his tenure in France as U.S. minister, he received a query from an American couple about the legality of bringing a slave servant into the country. He replied that he had ā€œmade enquiries on the subject of the negro boy, and find that the laws of France give him freedom if he claims it, [414] and that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to interrupt the course of the law. Nevertheless I have known an instance where a person bringing in a slave, and saying nothing about it, has not been disturbed in his possession.ā€ This person was, of course, Jefferson himself, who brought James Hemings with him. Jefferson advised the Americans to take the same course; the slave was young and "it is not probable he will think of claiming freedom.ā€

It is unlikely that James Hemings remained ignorant of his status under French law; he was nineteen when Jefferson brought him to Paris and twenty-four when he and his sister Sally returned to America with Jefferson and his two daughters. Jefferson no doubt used all of his arts of persuasion to convince Hemings that a life of bondage as Thomas Jeffersonā€™s cook was preferable to freedom in Paris. He would never be permitted to return to America, or to see his family again, for example. Jeffersonā€™s trump card would have been a promise of future freedom. [415] It was a pledge he drew up into a formal document in 1793...
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm

You serious? 1315? Your arguments get weaker as they grow long Ray.
Last edited by Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Symmetry wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:And you did a poor job refuting Ray's points that it was, but I don't expect much from you--especially since you refuse to understand the discussion between TGD and I.

I provided evidence showing his argument was false. I'm sorry that you based your premise on a false notion of negotiation. The idea that she was free doesn't hold water.

Symmetry wrote:You serious? 1315? Your arguments get weaker as they grow long Ray.

The leaves rustle softly in Troll Forest, but a storm approaches from the East.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Symmetry wrote:You serious? 1315? Your arguments get weaker as they grow long Ray.

Oh for goodness sake, calm down sweetie.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 pm

So can we get back on topic? Sally Hemings, neither free in France, nor able to petition.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

lol why do I even bother, eh?

Yes, that was when slavery was first abolished in France and the idea of "Free Soil" began. Don't seem so incredulous! lol

Here, read for yourself (apologies for the weird format):
FreeĀ SoilĀ 
IĀ haveĀ coinedĀ theĀ termĀ ā€œFreeĀ SoilĀ principleā€Ā forĀ theĀ legalĀ notionĀ thatĀ slavesĀ whoĀ crossedĀ particularĀ 
territorial boundariesĀ becameĀ free.Ā AsĀ IĀ willĀ discussĀ furtherĀ below,Ā thisĀ axiomĀ ofĀ 
vernacularĀ lawĀ wasĀ notĀ uniqueĀ toĀ France,Ā butĀ IĀ believeĀ Franceā€™sĀ articulationĀ wasĀ theĀ first national asĀ opposedĀ toĀ municipal)Ā formulationĀ ofĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ principle.Ā TheĀ procureurĀ gĆ©nĆ©ralĀ inĀ Furcyā€™sĀ 
caseĀ articulatedĀ thisĀ ā€œfundamentalĀ maximā€Ā ofĀ theĀ FrenchĀ nationĀ asĀ ā€œnulĀ nā€™estĀ escla enĀ France.ā€Ā 71Ā 
AsĀ IĀ haveĀ shownĀ elsewhere,Ā thisĀ supposedlyĀ eternalĀ FrenchĀ principleĀ wasĀ cobbledĀ 
togetherĀ fromĀ aĀ varietyĀ ofĀ statutory,Ā historicalĀ andĀ judicialĀ sourcesĀ andĀ changedĀ expressionĀ overĀ 
time.72Ā InĀ theĀ lateĀ sixteenthĀ century,Ā JeanĀ BodinĀ articulatedĀ theĀ principleĀ as,Ā ā€œlaĀ seruitudeĀ ā€¦Ā nā€™aĀ 
pointĀ deĀ lieuĀ enĀ toutĀ ceĀ Royaume:Ā deĀ sorteĀ mesmeĀ queĀ lā€™esclaueĀ dā€™unĀ estrangerĀ estĀ francĀ &Ā libreĀ 
siĀ tostĀ quā€™ilĀ aĀ mitĀ leĀ piedĀ enĀ France.ā€ 73Ā AntoineĀ LoiselĀ wasĀ theĀ firstĀ toĀ callĀ theĀ principleĀ aĀ maxim,Ā 
andĀ includedĀ theĀ conditionĀ ofĀ baptismĀ inĀ hisĀ seventeenthā€centuryĀ formulationĀ ofĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ 
principle:Ā ā€œToutesĀ personnesĀ sontĀ franchesĀ enĀ ceĀ roĆÆaume:Ā etĀ sitostĀ quā€™unĀ esclaveĀ aĀ atteintĀ lesĀ 
marchesĀ dā€™icelui,Ā seĀ faisantĀ baptizer,Ā estĀ affranchi.ā€74Ā ByĀ theĀ midā€eighteenthĀ century,Ā mostĀ 
expressionsĀ ofĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ maximĀ omittedĀ theĀ conditionĀ ofĀ baptismĀ (presumablyĀ becauseĀ theĀ 
1685Ā andĀ 1724Ā CodesĀ NoirsĀ requiredĀ allĀ colonialĀ slavesĀ toĀ beĀ baptizedĀ whileĀ theĀ metropolitanĀ 
lawsĀ ofĀ 1716Ā andĀ 1738Ā allowedĀ forĀ theirĀ religiousĀ educationĀ inĀ theĀ metropole),Ā linkingĀ freeĀ 
statusĀ solelyĀ withĀ theĀ conditionĀ ofĀ crossingĀ theĀ territorialĀ boundariesĀ ofĀ metropolitanĀ France.Ā Ā 
Franceā€™sĀ increasedĀ participationĀ inĀ theĀ transā€oceanicĀ slaveĀ tradeĀ andĀ theĀ useĀ ofĀ slavesĀ inĀ 
itsĀ coloniesĀ overĀ theĀ lateĀ 17thĀ andĀ 18thĀ centuriesĀ broughtĀ thousandsĀ ofĀ slavesĀ toĀ metropolitanĀ 
France,Ā primarilyĀ asĀ personalĀ servants.Ā TheĀ presenceĀ ofĀ theseĀ slavesĀ andĀ theĀ pressureĀ ofĀ 
colonialĀ lobbiesĀ promptedĀ theĀ royalĀ governmentĀ toĀ issueĀ aĀ seriesĀ ofĀ laws,Ā whoseĀ ultimateĀ effectĀ 
wasĀ toĀ suspendĀ andĀ eventuallyĀ negateĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ principleĀ forĀ colonialĀ slavesĀ whoĀ 
accompaniedĀ theirĀ mastersĀ toĀ France.Ā WhileĀ maritimeĀ provinces,Ā withĀ theirĀ commercialĀ andĀ 
socialĀ tiesĀ toĀ theĀ colonies,Ā typicallyĀ supportedĀ theĀ royalĀ suspensionĀ ofĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ principle, juristsĀ ofĀ theĀ AdmiraltyĀ CourtĀ ofĀ FranceĀ andĀ theĀ ParlementĀ ofĀ ParisĀ resistedĀ registrationĀ andĀ 
implementationĀ ofĀ theseĀ royalĀ lawsĀ andĀ continuedĀ toĀ freeĀ hundredsĀ ofĀ slavesĀ whoĀ reachedĀ theirĀ 
jurisdictionĀ throughoutĀ theĀ 18thĀ century.

And here's the related footnote:
75Ā TheĀ mostĀ importantĀ ofĀ theseĀ lawsĀ wereĀ theĀ EdictĀ ofĀ OctoberĀ 1716,Ā theĀ DeclarationĀ ofĀ DecemberĀ 15,Ā 1738,Ā 
andĀ theĀ DeclarationĀ pourĀ laĀ PoliceĀ desĀ NoirsĀ ofĀ AugustĀ 9,Ā 1777.Ā TheĀ 1716Ā edictĀ permittedĀ slavesĀ toĀ accompanyĀ theirĀ 
mastersĀ toĀ FranceĀ forĀ religiousĀ educationĀ orĀ trainingĀ inĀ aĀ usefulĀ trade,Ā providedĀ thatĀ theyĀ hadĀ theĀ permissionĀ ofĀ 
colonialĀ administrators,Ā thatĀ theĀ slavesĀ wereĀ registeredĀ withĀ theĀ admiraltyĀ uponĀ arrival,Ā andĀ thatĀ theirĀ stayĀ wasĀ 
temporary;Ā failureĀ toĀ complyĀ withĀ theseĀ conditionsĀ resultedĀ inĀ theĀ slaveā€™sĀ freedom.Ā TheĀ 1738Ā declarationĀ 
reiteratedĀ theĀ edictĀ ofĀ 1716,Ā closingĀ someĀ ofĀ theĀ loopholesĀ (e.g.Ā specifyingĀ aĀ stayĀ ofĀ noĀ longerĀ thanĀ threeĀ yearsĀ inĀ 
theĀ metropole)Ā andĀ changingĀ theĀ penaltyĀ forĀ noncomplianceĀ toĀ royalĀ confiscationĀ ofĀ theĀ slaveĀ andĀ transportĀ toĀ theĀ 
colonies,Ā thusĀ completelyĀ suspendingĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ maxim.Ā NeitherĀ ofĀ theseĀ lawsĀ wasĀ registeredĀ byĀ theĀ ParlementĀ 
ofĀ ParisĀ andĀ theyĀ remainedĀ unā€enforcedĀ withinĀ itsĀ jurisdiction.Ā TheĀ 1777Ā PoliceĀ desĀ NoirsĀ deliberatelyĀ avoidedĀ theĀ 
offensiveĀ termĀ ā€œesclave,ā€Ā replacingĀ theĀ lawsĀ ofĀ 1716Ā andĀ 1738Ā withĀ aĀ banĀ onĀ immigrationĀ byĀ allĀ ā€œnoirs,Ā mulĆ¢tresĀ etĀ 
autresĀ gensĀ deĀ couleur.ā€Ā BothĀ theĀ ParlementĀ ofĀ ParisĀ andĀ theĀ AdmiraltyĀ CourtĀ ofĀ FranceĀ foundĀ thisĀ racialĀ quarantineĀ 
acceptable,Ā soonĀ registeringĀ theĀ law.Ā However,Ā theĀ AdmiraltyĀ CourtĀ continuedĀ toĀ freeĀ slavesĀ whoĀ suedĀ forĀ theirĀ 
freedomĀ onĀ theĀ groundsĀ ofĀ theĀ FreeĀ SoilĀ maximĀ untilĀ itĀ wasĀ disbandedĀ inĀ 1789.
Ā SeeĀ Peabody,Ā NoĀ Slaves,Ā 122;Ā DwainĀ 
C.Ā Pruitt,Ā ā€œTheĀ OppositionĀ ofĀ theĀ LawĀ toĀ theĀ Law:Ā Race,Ā SlaveryĀ andĀ theĀ LawĀ inĀ Nantes,Ā 1715ā€1778,ā€Ā FrenchĀ 
HistoricalĀ StudiesĀ 30:2Ā (2007):Ā 147ā€74;Ā Boulle,Ā RaceĀ etĀ esclavage,Ā 85ā€107.Ā 

And as I mentioned a multitude of times, Sally's son and Sally's master both admit the fact that Sally could have gained her freedom while in France. Here it is for you to read again as a reminder of what you're avoiding:
When Mr. Jefferson went to France Martha was just budding into womanhood. Their stay (my mother's and Maria's) was about eighteen months. But during that time my mother became Mr. Jefferson's concubine, and when he was called back home she was enciente by him. He desired to bring my mother back to Virginia with him but she demurred. She was just beginning to understand the French language well, and in France she was free, while if she returned to Virginia she would be re-enslaved. So she refused to return with him. To induce her to do so he promised her extraordinary privileges, and made a solemn pledge that her children should be freed at the age of twenty-one years. In consequence of his promise, on which she implicitly relied, she returned with him to Virginia. Soon after their arrival, she gave birth to a child, of whom Thomas Jefferson was the father. It lived but a short time. She gave birth to four others, and Jefferson was the father of all of them. Their names were Beverly, Harriet, Madison (myself), and Eston--three sons and one daughter. We all became free agreeably to the treaty entered into by our parents before we were born. We all married and have raised families.

Jefferson had something of a problem keeping two slaves in France with him, however. According to French law, slavery was illegal, and they could petition for their freedom. During his tenure in France as U.S. minister, he received a query from an American couple about the legality of bringing a slave servant into the country. He replied that he had ā€œmade enquiries on the subject of the negro boy, and find that the laws of France give him freedom if he claims it, [414] and that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to interrupt the course of the law. Nevertheless I have known an instance where a person bringing in a slave, and saying nothing about it, has not been disturbed in his possession.ā€ This person was, of course, Jefferson himself, who brought James Hemings with him. Jefferson advised the Americans to take the same course; the slave was young and "it is not probable he will think of claiming freedom.ā€

It is unlikely that James Hemings remained ignorant of his status under French law; he was nineteen when Jefferson brought him to Paris and twenty-four when he and his sister Sally returned to America with Jefferson and his two daughters. Jefferson no doubt used all of his arts of persuasion to convince Hemings that a life of bondage as Thomas Jeffersonā€™s cook was preferable to freedom in Paris. He would never be permitted to return to America, or to see his family again, for example. Jeffersonā€™s trump card would have been a promise of future freedom. [415] It was a pledge he drew up into a formal document in 1793...
Major Ray Rider

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Bizarre, I asked for the law. Not the principles, Ray. Medieval stuff won't cut it.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Symmetry wrote:Bizarre, I asked for the law. Not the principles, Ray. Medieval stuff won't cut it.

I literally loled...I couldn't care less what you ask for, man. All relevant laws and precedents are discussed in the article I posted from the conference on the subject at Yale University. The point is, as it has been from the very start, that Sally could have claimed her freedom and remained in France. This is amply proven by various French laws, precedents, and principles dating back to 1315, by the evidence of the hundreds of slaves which were freed concurrent to the time she was in Paris, as well as by the first-hand admission of her son and her master. Instead of choosing freedom, she chose to rely on the bargain she struck with Jefferson and return to the United States as a slave. Based on these facts which have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, it is highly unlikely that Jefferson was a rapist as you have been claiming. Until you produce real evidence for his guilt in the matter, I'm declaring this case closed. Troll on as much as you like to others who may pay attention to you; I've got more important things to do.
Major Ray Rider

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Ray Rider wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Bizarre, I asked for the law. Not the principles, Ray. Medieval stuff won't cut it.

I literally loled...I couldn't care less what you ask for, man. All relevant laws and precedents are discussed in the article I posted from the conference on the subject at Yale University. The point is, as it has been from the very start, that Sally could have claimed her freedom and remained in France. This is amply proven by various French laws, precedents, and principles dating back to 1315, by the evidence of the hundreds of slaves which were freed concurrent to the time she was in Paris, as well as by the first-hand admission of her son and her master. Instead of choosing freedom, she chose to rely on the bargain she struck with Jefferson and return to the United States as a slave. Based on these facts which have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, it is highly unlikely that Jefferson was a rapist as you have been claiming. Until you produce real evidence for his guilt in the matter, I'm declaring this case closed. Troll on as much as you like to others who may pay attention to you; I've got more important things to do.

I read the paper. It does not claim what you say it does. I guess that's why you won't post it openly.

How're you doing on that constitution?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Symmetry wrote:Let's be clear here- she was not free in France, nor was there ever any option for her to be so. I appreciate your take TGD, but it operates on accepting a false premise.

I'm conceding the premise because it doesn't matter.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Re: Re:

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Ray Rider wrote:Option (1) of remaining free but poverty stricken in France wasn't necessarily the best choice, considering we know that as Jefferson's slave she was given fine clothing, paid for her work, given "extraordinary privileges," and remained in the household of one of the most prominent men in the world. However to continue with your point (2), the possibility does exist that she may have loved him and felt comfortable remaining his slave; however given that there were no guarantees of how Jefferson's heirs would treat her children (or to whom they would have been sold, especially because of his debts) had they remained slaves, it would be reasonable of her to see that it would be safer to grant them their freedom a let them choose their own destiny.

You guys are a hoot. Seriously. I'm not sure how you don't understand how you're making the point in favor of coercion. You're making my argument for me!

"As Jefferson's slave she was given fine clothing, paid for her work, given 'extraordinary privilege' and remained in the household of one of the most prominent men in the world."

How is that not coercion? Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Jefferson was merely her boss (I don't agree with this by any means). If my boss propositioned me for sex and I said yes, it would be because I was coerced.

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:45 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Let's be clear here- she was not free in France, nor was there ever any option for her to be so. I appreciate your take TGD, but it operates on accepting a false premise.

I actually agree. Even if the Ray/Stahr argument that slavery was illegal could be backed up, your arguments would stand.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

I actually agree. Even if the Ray/Stahr argument that slavery was illegal could be backed up, your arguments would stand.

Yep. I'm going to say this again - if we were talking about Thomas Randomson, we wouldn't be having this discussion. This is really that simple.

Stahr and Ray are making my arguments for me.

As for BBS, his standards are too high. I'm treating this as a civil case, not a criminal one. Therefore, if I can get to 51%, I win. I'm at well over 51% (which increases as stahr and Ray continue to provide more evidence for me).

Postby john9blue on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 am

thegreekdog wrote:
john9blue wrote:i mean, you guys can set arbitrary limits for what qualifies as "coercion", but it's not going to get you anywhere in the debate.

not all rape is created equal... you've got legitimate rapes where the victim was traumatized for life, and then you've got fake "rapes" from skanky drunk girls who have regrets about their bad decisions.

i'm sure jefferson was well within his legal rights to ACTUALLY rape his slave, but he chose not to. calling what he did "rape" is demeaning to actual rape victims.

I just want to make sure I understand that you're making an analogy between a slave being coerced into having sex with her master with a skanky drunk girl who regrets her bad decisions. While I agree there may be gray areas involved in rape, this is not really a gray area.

I typed this before, but imagine you are in the same position as this slave and make your determination on that basis. We know the relevant pieces of information as I laid out in handy list format above. Stahr provided even further evidence for the coercive aspect of the relationship; namely that she had to bargain to have her children not be slaves.

i'm not saying that it was or was not rape. i'm saying that you could call it rape if you like (you can call a LOT of things rape if you like) but you have to lower your threshold for the definition of "rape" to a level that i don't think is meaningful.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Yep. I'm going to say this again - if we were talking about Thomas Randomson, we wouldn't be having this discussion. This is really that simple.

Stahr and Ray are making my arguments for me.

As for BBS, his standards are too high. I'm treating this as a civil case, not a criminal one. Therefore, if I can get to 51%, I win. I'm at well over 51% (which increases as stahr and Ray continue to provide more evidence for me).

I've no choice but to bribe the judge. Thanks, TGD.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 am

Can't we just let bygones be bygones?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Can't we just let bygones be bygones?

A tad difficult in a history thread.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Symmetry's evidence is flawed.

1794: France abolishes slavery in all its possessions; slavery is restored by Napoleon in 1802.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_ ... y_timeline

Let's be clear here: Sally Hinson was free in France at the time she became enceinte. Further proof is Jefferson PAID her for her work in France, just as he PAID James for his work in France.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:56 pm

stahrgazer wrote:Symmetry's evidence is flawed.

1794: France abolishes slavery in all its possessions; slavery is restored by Napoleon in 1802.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_ ... y_timeline

Let's be clear here: Sally Hinson was free in France at the time she became enceinte. Further proof is Jefferson PAID her for her work in France, just as he PAID James for his work in France.

And Jefferson and Hemings returned the US in 1789. I don't get how you think a law made after she was there was applicable before it was made.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Not that it will stop[ you.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,