Conquer Club

Spartacus War Of The Dammed

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Spartacus War Of The Dammed

Postby gordon1975 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 pm

First epesode was great,RIP Andy Whitfield,but the new dude has finaly grown on me,its looking good so far,oneof the best things on telly
Last edited by gordon1975 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Re: Sparticus War Of The Dammed

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 pm

gordon1975 wrote:First epesode was great,RIP Andy Whitfield,but the new dude has finaly grown on me,its looking good so far,oneof the best things on telly

Spartacus is still great but his new enemy Crassus is just FANTASTIC! Here is a guy who doesn't have his head up his ass like the other Romans. This guy is smart, humble and most importantly a match for spartacus in both strategy and combat. The new season certainly stepped things up, not only with the bigger budget but with how fucken epic the first battle was. I think that with this new season Spartacus can finnaly compete with Game of Thrones and the walking dead. Ashar will always be missed though he was a great villain in the 2nd season.
Captain krusher

Postby gordon1975 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm

krusher wrote:
gordon1975 wrote:First epesode was great,RIP Andy Whitfield,but the new dude has finaly grown on me,its looking good so far,oneof the best things on telly

Spartacus is still great but his new enemy Crassus is just FANTASTIC! Here is a guy who doesn't have his head up his ass like the other Romans. This guy is smart, humble and most importantly a match for spartacus in both strategy and combat. The new season certainly stepped things up, not only with the bigger budget but with how fucken epic the first battle was. I think that with this new season Spartacus can finnaly compete with Game of Thrones and the walking dead. Ashar will always be missed though he was a great villain in the 2nd season.

completly agree,its epic,whoever makes this,i hope they keep on the same kinda track,when sparticus gets nailed up,im hoping theres more to come,keep going until Caesar and beyond
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:19 pm

gordon1975 wrote:
krusher wrote:

completly agree,its epic,whoever makes this,i hope they keep on the same kinda track,when sparticus gets nailed up,im hoping theres more to come,keep going until Caesar and beyond

yup its moving quite fast at this rate i don't see the story (Spartacus) lasting past season 5 but im sure if they do a good job with the characters ceasar, pompey and crassus they can easily do a spin off carrying on the story for an even better show. So far I like Crassus would love to see him have his own show and his own story after the Rebellion is crushed.
Captain krusher

Postby gordon1975 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

krusher wrote:
gordon1975 wrote:
krusher wrote:

yup its moving quite fast at this rate i don't see the story (Spartacus) lasting past season 5 but im sure if they do a good job with the characters ceasar, pompey and crassus they can easily do a spin off carrying on the story for an even better show. So far I like Crassus would love to see him have his own show and his own story after the Rebellion is crushed.

they aint short of material,told the story very well so far,this,walking dead,and board walk should keep me going for this year
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Like how they did with gods of the arena prequel they can do a sequel or maybe even a prequel with Crassus who's story is little known.
Captain krusher

Postby gordon1975 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:26 pm

ye thats the beauty of it,can jump to any time
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

gordon1975 wrote:
krusher wrote:
gordon1975 wrote:
krusher wrote:
gordon1975 wrote:they aint short of material,told the story very well so far,this,walking dead,and board walk should keep me going for this year

Historically speaking they are running out lol Crassus is the one who ultimately defeats Spartacus and i just can't see the directors having enough material regarding the rebellion to last more than 2 seasons. The end for this season will probably involve Crixus splitting up from spartacu's band and being defeated and next season spartacus struggling to keep his people alive and ultimately being defeated. This is a good time frame i think.
Captain krusher

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

BTW you should try Game of Thrones, its fantastic.
Captain krusher

Postby gordon1975 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 pm

krusher wrote:BTW you should try Game of Thrones, its fantastic.

ive read all the books,so im in the know,next season of game of thrones will be ok,but it kinda goes down hill from there,eagerly waiting the next book though,see where it goes
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 pm

This is going to be their last season and I heard that they're going to end it on a high note (you know, instead of Spartacus' execution). I hope I'm wrong though.

First episode was great and I agree completely with the description of Crassus. His son reminds me of Glabber and Batiatus ("He's just a slave daddy, he's an idiot.") though Crassus is very intelligent and physically capable.

Should be a great season.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby krusher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Army of GOD wrote:This is going to be their last season and I heard that they're going to end it on a high note (you know, instead of Spartacus' execution). I hope I'm wrong though.

First episode was great and I agree completely with the description of Crassus. His son reminds me of Glabber and Batiatus ("He's just a slave daddy, he's an idiot.") though Crassus is very intelligent and physically capable.

Should be a great season.

Its always good when shows end in a high note leaves room for prequel and sequels, as far as this being the last season they'd have to rush things quite fast I don't see Spartacus and Cricux's relationship deteriorating anytime soon.
Captain krusher

Postby gordon1975 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm

so far so good
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Ive been watching the show since the beginning and I have to say, to me its just not as good as it used to be. First off no one could replace Andy (he was a monster) Liam does a decent job, but I still dont like him as much in the role. (Likely bc Andy did it first)
Im not that huge a fan of the "300 stlye slow-mo over the top blood scenes" but Ive always accepted them as part of the entertainment that Stars is trying to produce. However in this season (well the 1st episode) it seemed like there was way too much of it!

My friends and I have always refereed to the show as Spartacus: Blood and Boobs (in homage to the 1st season title Blood and Sand) and we knew that blood and boobs is what we were going to get, however I find myself wanting more of the complex character development and backstabbing.

I dont know, just bored of it I guess. I will likely still watch it until the end, but its not as good as The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones (as mentioned by someone else in the thread)

#Gannicus is the best!
#Bring back Rome! (the HBO series)

-jig
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby gordon1975 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 pm

jigger1986 wrote:Ive been watching the show since the beginning and I have to say, to me its just not as good as it used to be. First off no one could replace Andy (he was a monster) Liam does a decent job, but I still dont like him as much in the role. (Likely bc Andy did it first)
Im not that huge a fan of the "300 stlye slow-mo over the top blood scenes" but Ive always accepted them as part of the entertainment that Stars is trying to produce. However in this season (well the 1st episode) it seemed like there was way too much of it!

My friends and I have always refereed to the show as Spartacus: Blood and Boobs (in homage to the 1st season title Blood and Sand) and we knew that blood and boobs is what we were going to get, however I find myself wanting more of the complex character development and backstabbing.

I dont know, just bored of it I guess. I will likely still watch it until the end, but its not as good as The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones (as mentioned by someone else in the thread)

#Gannicus is the best!
#Bring back Rome! (the HBO series)

-jig

i think there doing well,going to be a lot harder to keep character development going the same way as the scope gets so much larger ,and i agree,id say walking dead is the best thing on telly,and if you have read the game of thrones books,that will be good for another season,then it will lose its way,George Martin next needs to tie a lot of stuff up pretty quickly when we finely get the next book
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm

It's hard to continue the beauty of the first season mostly because of the change in the plot. At this point they're not just a ragtag group of gladiators, they're a god damn army.

I love Crassus as a villain though.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 am

Good finale to a good series.

Gonna watch the entire series again over the summer. Will be nice to relive all the characters.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby denominator on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am

Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

The first and second followed the historical recounts of Spartacus quite well, but this third season has drifted quite far off. The main events are out of sequence (Crixus' death), and characters exist that simply never did in this context (Caesar, Tiberius Crassus). It seemed to me through season 2 and the first 3/4 episodes of season 3 they were aiming for a 4-season run, but then decided to do it in 3 so have sped everything up. Episode 8 was particularly bad with the split of Crixus and Spartacus, then Crixus is magically right at Rome and fighting the epic battle.

I can only hope they stay true to the history in the end - all historians agree that Spartacus was killed in the final battle, but his body never found.

Also, it seems clear to me that they are trying to set up a spinoff with Caesar and Crassus, and follow their rise to power in Rome and the Senate following the Third Servile War.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby gordon1975 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

shit! nobody told me sparty would lose in the end!
Lieutenant gordon1975

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:54 pm

denominator wrote:Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

The first and second followed the historical recounts of Spartacus quite well, but this third season has drifted quite far off. The main events are out of sequence (Crixus' death), and characters exist that simply never did in this context (Caesar, Tiberius Crassus). It seemed to me through season 2 and the first 3/4 episodes of season 3 they were aiming for a 4-season run, but then decided to do it in 3 so have sped everything up. Episode 8 was particularly bad with the split of Crixus and Spartacus, then Crixus is magically right at Rome and fighting the epic battle.

I can only hope they stay true to the history in the end - all historians agree that Spartacus was killed in the final battle, but his body never found.

Also, it seems clear to me that they are trying to set up a spinoff with Caesar and Crassus, and follow their rise to power in Rome and the Senate following the Third Servile War.

Oh come on, it's a historical drama. No series or movie has ever kept with the facts.

I enjoyed what they did with Crassus and Caesar even though it wasn't awfully accurate. Really, the only two problems I had with season 4 were (1) the change in settings and plot made it more difficult for the producers to emphasize the gladiators. Like, It seemed like all of the main gladiators (Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Agron, etc.) were always right next to each other be it in their encampment or while in battle which just seems slightly unlikely. It just irked me a little. And (2) Naevia was a horrible actress and her character was painfully bad. I understand what they tried to do, they just didn't do it well (Naevia transitions from a sweet, passive girl to a pissed off motherfucker after they save her from the mines). I just hated, hated, hated both the new actress (first season actress was a hell of a lot better) and the character and was happy when she finally died.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby denominator on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
denominator wrote:Admittedly, I'm 2 episodes behind (just watched episode 8) but I have to say I'm disappointed with the third (fourth?) season.

Oh come on, it's a historical drama. No series or movie has ever kept with the facts.

I enjoyed what they did with Crassus and Caesar even though it wasn't awfully accurate. Really, the only two problems I had with season 4 were (1) the change in settings and plot made it more difficult for the producers to emphasize the gladiators. Like, It seemed like all of the main gladiators (Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, Agron, etc.) were always right next to each other be it in their encampment or while in battle which just seems slightly unlikely. It just irked me a little. And (2) Naevia was a horrible actress and her character was painfully bad. I understand what they tried to do, they just didn't do it well (Naevia transitions from a sweet, passive girl to a pissed off motherfucker after they save her from the mines). I just hated, hated, hated both the new actress (first season actress was a hell of a lot better) and the character and was happy when she finally died.

I would agree except that for the first 2 seasons they stayed almost spot on. The big exception being breaking out of Batiatus' house, which doesn't follow the history books at all.

As for your points - I fully agree with #2. The first chick was a much better actress and was believable in her role, but it seems they just wrote a whole new role with the same name for the new chick. As for #1, they hit a critical point in the series when it had to transition from a small band of brothers to an army, but the writers clearly weren't willing to give up the camaraderie they had enjoyed in the earlier seasons.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

So, I take I'm the only one who's annoyed everytime he sees this thread title misspelling Spartacus?

ok, then, carry on.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,