Conquer Club

420 Shooting

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

420 Shooting

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 am

Shots Fired at Massive ‘4/20’ Marijuana Gathering in Denver

Gunfire erupted at a Denver pot celebration Saturday, injuring two people and scattering a crowd of thousands at a downtown park after they marked the first 4/20 “counterculture holiday” since the state legalized marijuana.

The man and woman who were shot were expected to survive, and police were looking for one or two suspects, said Denver Police spokesman Sonny Jackson.

Witnesses described a scene in which a jovial atmosphere quickly turned to one of panic just before 5 p.m. Several thought firecrackers were being set off, then a man fell bleeding, his dog also shot.

“I saw him fall, grabbing his leg,” said Travis Craig, 28, who was at the celebration, saw the shooting and said he used a belt to apply a tourniquet to the man’s leg.

“He was just screaming that he was in pain, and wanted to know where his girlfriend was. She was OK. And then the cops showed up real quick, like, less than a minute. They put him on ambulance and left.”

There is so much smoke in most of the images, the pictures look like they could have been taken in Cairo.

The annual pot celebration this year was expected to draw as many as 80,000 people after recent laws in Colorado and Washington made marijuana legal for recreational use.

A sizable police force on motorcycles and horses had been watching the celebration since its start earlier Saturday. But authorities, who generally look the other way at public pot smoking here on April 20, didn’t arrest people for smoking in public, which is still illegal.

Police said earlier in the week that they were focused on crowd security in light of attacks that killed three at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

“We’re aware of the events in Boston,” said Denver police spokesman Aaron Kafer, who declined to give specifics about security measures being taken. “Our message to the public is that, if you see something, say something.”
Shots Fired at Marijuana Fesitval Pot Party in Denver for 4/20

Members of a crowd numbering tens of thousands smoke marijuana and listen to live music, at the Denver 420 pro-marijuana rally at Civic Center Park in Denver on Saturday, April 20, 2013. (Photo: AP)

Stephanie Riedel, who traveled to the pot celebration from Pittsburgh, said she was dancing with a hula hoop when she heard pops. A man ran past her, then she said the crowd started screaming and running away. She was about 20 feet from the shooting and heard four or five shots.

“I couldn’t make sense of what it was at first,” she said. “We were all having a good time and I was in the mindframe of, we’re here at a peace gathering. I thought it some guys playing.”

Rapper Lil’ Flip was performing when the shootings occurred.

Aerial footage showed the massive crowd frantically running from the park.

Ian Bay, who was skateboarding through Civic Center Park when shots erupted, said he was listening to music on his headphones when he looked to his right and saw a swarm of hundreds of people running at him.

“I sort of panicked. I thought I was going through an anxiety thing because so many people were coming after me,” he said.

Before the shooting, reggae music filled the air, and so did the smell of marijuana, as celebrants gathered by mid-morning in the park just beside the state Capitol.

Nationwide, group smoke-outs were planned Saturday from New York to San Francisco. The origins of the number “420″ as a code for pot are murky, but the drug’s users have for decades marked the date 4/20 as a day to use pot together.

Colorado and Washington are still waiting for a federal response to the votes and are working on setting up commercial pot sales, which are still limited to people with certain medical conditions. In the meantime, pot users are free to share and use the drug in small amounts.

A citizen advocacy group that opposes marijuana legalization, Smart Colorado, warned in a statement that public 4/20 celebrations “send a clear message to the rest of the nation and the world about what Colorado looks like.”

“Does the behavior of the participants in these events reflect well on our state?” asked the head of Smart Colorado, Henny Lasley.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04 ... in-denver/
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Death of the Trump Card for Marijuana Adavocates

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:40 am

Scott, speaking as a supporter of individual firearms ownership, don't take this the wrong way when I say that, sometimes - such as when you start threads about gun violence trends in states with lax firearms laws - you are your (and our) worst enemy.

I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:45 am

I thought Colorado just passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the country last month...

You'll have to forgive me. I was legally abused and traumatized as a Tea Partier
Major Phatscotty

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:47 am

Phatscotty wrote:I thought Colorado just passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the country last month...

they don't take effect until the summer - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2002817/
I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:56 am

saxitoxin wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:I thought Colorado just passed some of the strictest gun control laws in the country last month...

they don't take effect until the summer - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/2002817/

So Colorado will only have to deal with gun violence for a few more months!

Let's celebrate!
show

BUZZ-KILL!
show
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 am

Standard Phatscot fare.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Standard Phatscot fare.

-TG

are you a toker?
Major Phatscotty

Re: 420 Shooting

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 am

Regardless of whether I am or not, your article doesn't elaborate as to the motive, the suspect, etc. yet you implied that because of legalization this will be some common occurrence or that somehow because this isolated incident occurred it proves that marijuana is dangerous.

Nice edit btw.

-TG

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:18 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Regardless of if I am or not, your article doesn't elaborate as to the motive, the suspect, etc. yet you implied that because of legalization this will be some common occurrence or that somehow because this isolated incident occurred it proves that marijuana is dangerous.

Nice edit btw.

-TG

Well....the overall theme is to "smoke pot and get high". This shooting happened at the get high rally. Pot makes some people paranoid. Some dude shot another dude. I don't see this as any different than someone got drunk, something made them angry, and they beat their wife

Both examples introduce intoxicating chemicals that alter judgement, and you should not be carrying a gun while using either of them (probably a law against that Saxi?).

I think there is a link, sure. But it's certainly debatable.
Major Phatscotty

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:09 am

This idea is just silly by any standard. We have a certain amount of difficulty keeping illegal guns from crossing the border between the US&A and Canada, at least you're required to stop for a chat as you do that one.

UntilI there are customs and searches everyone will need to know that criminals don't obey state laws and even federal laws, they will get guns from the state were they didn't need to show ID.

Just because a region says, "No one can buy this here." or even, "You can't posses this here." it's a pretty minor deterrent. I believe if you want to reduce guns it's a reasonable thing to do still because it's a start and perhaps all they can do for now. I just needed to comment.

In conclusion, I hate everyone here for making me post real content when I just want to play with electric trains. And I know the dot dot dot at the end implied a certain amount of sarcasm in your post.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Regardless of whether I am or not, your article doesn't elaborate as to the motive, the suspect, etc. yet you implied that because of legalization this will be some common occurrence or that somehow because this isolated incident occurred it proves that marijuana is dangerous.

Nice edit btw.

-TG

Don't.. don't give in.... noo......
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Well....the overall theme is to "smoke pot and get high". This shooting happened at the get high rally. Pot makes some people paranoid. Some dude shot another dude. I don't see this as any different than someone got drunk, something made them angry, and they beat their wife.

Marijuana is not illegal because it is dangerous. Marijuana is ONLY dangerous because it is illegal. The illegality is what makes it dangerous and, in fact, the illegality is PRECISELY what causes it to be a "gateway drug" and it would not be considered one if it were legal.

Phatscotty wrote:Both examples introduce intoxicating chemicals that alter judgement, and you should not be carrying a gun while using either of them (probably a law against that Saxi?).

Which points out that marijuana should be treated exactly like alcohol is. I agree with you that carrying a gun while using either of them is stupid and certainly using the gun under the influence should be criminal. Just like with alcohol.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:55 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Regardless of whether I am or not, your article doesn't elaborate as to the motive, the suspect, etc. yet you implied that because of legalization this will be some common occurrence or that somehow because this isolated incident occurred it proves that marijuana is dangerous.

Nice edit btw.

-TG

Don't.. don't give in.... noo......

Postby MegaProphet on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm glad that the two shot are expected to survive and that my friends who were thinking of going decided to skip it
Corporal MegaProphet

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,