Conquer Club

[GO] Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Postby sdkenned on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:10 am

Can you expound on this [farming issue] a bit?
Captain sdkenned

Postby nicestash on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 am

Well, on the super complicated maps, most players don't even know what the bonuses are. A top player could make a lot of these draft games, and by using his knowledge of the map, start with a massive bonus right off the bat. The other player wouldn't even have a chance.
Major nicestash

Postby qwertylpc on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm

then dont let noobs play it, they are the ones joining the games, there fault
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby greenoaks on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 am

qwertylpc wrote:then dont let noobs play it, they are the ones joining the games, there fault

if that reasoning didn't stop Admin from perma-banning a Conquerer then it won't work here either.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby sdkenned on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

The positives seem to outweigh the negatives.
Captain sdkenned

Territory Choice In Games

Postby Eddygp on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Concise description:
  • Granting the possibility, as a new possible Gameplay option, to choose the territories you start with

Specifics/Details:
  • Manual initial troops let you decide where to deploy the troops you start with, but another option to choose the territories you start with should be available too.
  • Before starting the game with this gameplay option, the player would be asked to choose a certain number of territories, and once he/she finishes, to deploy manually his/her troops or automatically, depending on the game setting.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Most quadruples, triples or doubles games would benefit from this due to strategical situation, and it would also help standard games in case one player has a particular strategy that he likes.
  • It would give more flexibility to players when starting a game and thus giving a chance to those who prefer strategical positioning to other factors currently available.
Private Eddygp

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:48 pm

MERGED
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

The Real Manual deployment

Postby Armandolas on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:52 am

Concise description:
  • Before i discovered CC i used to play Risk online.When the game started we had to "truly" manually deploy our troops across the board. And when i mean manually it is really choose the territories where we wanted to be.Then after that is finished, we would place the number of troops wanted, in the previous selected regions.

Specifics/Details:
  • I was quite surprised that CC wouldnt have this option

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • It adds a lot more strategy to the game because you really need to choose where to deploy, instead of it being randomly distributed . That situation allows unbalanced and unfair gameplay. With this the factor of luck is reduced
Colonel Armandolas

Re: The Real Manual deployment

Postby jsnyder748 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

Ya we used to do this with the board game. everyone would go for australia :D

What happens when someone misses the deployment stage? would it take many rounds to place troops before the game even started?
Colonel jsnyder748

Postby Armandolas on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 am

jsnyder748 wrote:Ya we used to do this with the board game. everyone would go for australia :D

What happens when someone misses the deployment stage? would it take many rounds to place troops before the game even started?

You are right, we used to play real time games with time limit(like speed here) and also in the board me and my friends did that.
I guess this would be more apropriated in speed games
Last edited by Armandolas on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby HardAttack on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am

Armandolas wrote:
jsnyder748 wrote:Ya we used to do this with the board game. everyone would go for australia :D

You are right, we used to play real time games with time limit(like speed here) and also in the board me and my friends this that.
I guess this would be more apropriated in speed games

armandolas =D> i am with you here,
i have got a few questions, allow me please...

how is the territory pick session going to work ?
1 by 1 fashion ? 1 you, 1 your opponent, then 1 you again and so on ?
If not, what way else ?
O:)
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Armandolas on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:28 am

HardAttack wrote:armandolas =D> i am with you here,
i have got a few questions, allow me please...

how is the territory pick session going to work ?
1 by 1 fashion ? 1 you, 1 your opponent, then 1 you again and so on ?
If not, what way else ?
O:)

yes, it should be turn based...i wonder how FS would turn...a real rush to the gold...heheh
Colonel Armandolas

Postby chapcrap on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby spiesr on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Last edited by spiesr on Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added another.
Captain spiesr

Postby waltero on Wed May 01, 2013 5:18 pm

I have suggested a few ideas on manual deployment. Time factor (in game play) was not an issue.
Might not of been the best idea (I do think it was a good suggestion).

Some of the responses I got were; This, manual set up would be similar to copying the initial placement of other board games.

Not sure why that would be a bad thing.

Seems like any Idea would be better than RANDOM!
Not a whole lot of thought was put into the current ''Random set up''.
CC feels it is good enough and I am sure the Coding (to implement change) is a big problem for them.

All Suggestions should be Basic and simple.
Nobody wants to put the man hours in to improve this game.

It is a simple basic fun game. Lets keep it that way.
Once you start to add Variants and the like it gets a bit more complicated. Might take away the power of the dice.
Cook waltero

Postby greenoaks on Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 pm

waltero wrote:I have suggested a few ideas on manual deployment. Time factor (in game play) was not an issue.

Some of the responses I got were; This, manual set up would be similar to copying the initial placement of other board games.

CC feels it is good enough and I am sure the Coding (to implement change) is a big problem for them.

Once you start to add Variants and the like it gets a bit more complicated. Might take away the power of the dice.

the biggest issue with this is the time it would take to start a game. time is not a factor when you are all sitting at the dining table but here, where we have 24 hours to take a turn, 8 players, a large map. it could be several months before the game starts.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm

greenoaks wrote:
waltero wrote:I have suggested a few ideas on manual deployment. Time factor (in game play) was not an issue.

the biggest issue with this is the time it would take to start a game. time is not a factor when you are all sitting at the dining table but here, where we have 24 hours to take a turn, 8 players, a large map. it could be several months before the game starts.

Simplest solution to that issue is make it a Premium only Speed Game only Feature. I say this as a Loyal Freemium that such additional benefits and gameplay types could be the tipping point where I would find a way to justify budgeting in the money for premium membership. In all honesty I am surprised that more of the great suggestion I see here are not implemented as Premium only features, I would think that would definitely make Premium more enticing the more benefits and special features offered with it.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 am

Fazeem wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Simplest solution to that issue is make it a Premium only Speed Game only Feature. I say this as a Loyal Freemium that such additional benefits and gameplay types could be the tipping point where I would find a way to justify budgeting in the money for premium membership. In all honesty I am surprised that more of the great suggestion I see here are not implemented as Premium only features, I would think that would definitely make Premium more enticing the more benefits and special features offered with it.

features only for Speed to not get implemented. the reward is for too small a pool of players.

and even for Speed, it could take an hour or more before the game starts - there's nothing 'Speed' about that. when you're playing at home with your mates you know noone is going anywhere for a few hours. not so here. it just doesn't lend itself to the site.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Fazeem on Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 am

greenoaks wrote:
Fazeem wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

features only for Speed to not get implemented. the reward is for too small a pool of players.

and even for Speed, it could take an hour or more before the game starts - there's nothing 'Speed' about that. when you're playing at home with your mates you know noone is going anywhere for a few hours. not so here. it just doesn't lend itself to the site.

I highly disagree also the simplest solution for that is if you do not like the game type do not play it. The more options this site offers the better the more value people can see in it. There is no reason that any reasonable or popular feature should not be implemented as long as it is offered as a option and does not detract or remove other options. Diversity is the name of the game.
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby greenoaks on Thu May 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Fazeem wrote:I highly disagree also the simplest solution for that is if you do not like the game type do not play it. The more options this site offers the better the more value people can see in it. There is no reason that any reasonable or popular feature should not be implemented as long as it is offered as a option and does not detract or remove other options. Diversity is the name of the game.

more features splits a small pool of players. games take longer to fill. the site loses its vibrancy. people leave.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby waltero on Sat May 04, 2013 2:44 pm

My suggestion for Manual terit selection. ''Time was not an issue''. When I said time was not a factor, what I meant to say was Time was irrelevant. It would take one 24 hour (one turn at the same time for every player) period for all to select their terits.

It is good we post things like this. If you can add or if you do agree with something that you think should be implemented plz post your approval.

I think my Idea would work well and be a whole lot better than Random.

Look it up.
Not sure why...but most people did not understand what I was talking about.

Placement of initial armies.
Cook waltero

Postby waltero on Sat May 04, 2013 3:06 pm

We already have plenty of people (the guys who do the coding for such idea's) who whole heartily disagree with suggestions. :?
Cook waltero

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 04, 2013 5:44 pm

waltero wrote:My suggestion for Manual terit selection. ''Time was not an issue''. When I said time was not a factor, what I meant to say was Time was irrelevant. It would take one 24 hour (one turn at the same time for every player) period for all to select their terits.

It is good we post things like this. If you can add or if you do agree with something that you think should be implemented plz post your approval.

I think my Idea would work well and be a whole lot better than Random.

Look it up.
Not sure why...but most people did not understand what I was talking about.

Placement of initial armies.

we do understand and the first post explains why this is a bad idea for CC. this does not make it a bad idea for home, on your own board.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby waltero on Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Not sure I follow you Greenoaks?
Looks to me that time factor is the major reason why you feel this is not a good idea.

If that be the case...I do not understand why A one time 24 hour period for every player to do there initial set up at the same time would be a problem?
If you think 24 hours too long, players could pick there terits once they click join game. THen you would have no down time =D>
Cook waltero

Postby waltero on Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 pm

I will try one more time to explain it.

We have a game board with 16 territory's. (yes small, just for example)

first turn........Red------1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
second turn...Blue-----1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
third turn.......Green---1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
fourth turn.....Pink-----1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

Every player would receive 1-14 Placement Chits (choices)

Everybody would place one number on a single territory, until every number has been placed.
24 hours to place. in turn order
Concealed not concealed no matter (what ever works for you).

Once all the numbers have been place on the board or the 24 hours have passed...the Computer would take over and Figure out who would get what.
Placement would be in turn order...so number one (first turn) player would pick and place all his chits (choices) down at one time. Second player would do the same...the only place he could not put (have a choice to place) a chit would be on player ones first choice territory. the last player (say 5th) would not be allowed to place his first placement number (choice) on any of the previous four players first choice number (it would block him from doing so)

Now let us Say Green placed his number 2 chit on same territory (Kalamazoo) as Red. You have red and green on same territory with the same number.
Green would have to concede that Territory to Red...Being that red is first on placement order (turn order).

Now what would happen to Greens number 2 chit (choice).
Keep in mind that all players (computer) are now deciding everybody 2nd placement (choice). ( 1 has already been dealt with in turn order. there could be no conflict.).

Green would be displaced...he would place his Army on his number 3 Chit (choice) territory (Timbuktu).
his 2nd choice would now move to his 3th placement. Because he was not able to receive his number 2 choice, he would see if he gets his number 3 choice.

OK now let us say..Blue has already got his number 2 on Timbuktu, Which is also Greens (now) 3rd choice? Green would have to (because Blue is before Green in turn placement order) then place his army on his number 4 choice (territory, chit). His number 4 would now be his number 2...5 would be his three 6 would change to fourth and so forth.
The computer would keep track of all his.

Every player would end up having 4 territory's at end of set up.

I understand that people like to place there units on territory's for this reason or that reason...This would still be better than Random.
Might bring new ideas and strategy on Placement.

Light up a region (not territory) that has a number one Choice (chit) in it...so the player can see where the others have made there first choice placement. If multiple players are in one Region (for there first choice) multiple colors would light up that Region.

Or you could just have everybody place at the same time...and any displace chits (choices )could be dropped random.

Game start, reverse turn order.

Bid for territory's might work as well. simply place your armies (the armies you receive for game play) on Territory, and one with most armies win the bid

Yes, a players ''first Choice'' (only there first choice) would not be available to everybody who follows him...in placement order.

It is all hidden (fog) placement. except you would see one color or a multiple of colors blanketing each country (not terit).
If one color (or numbers..what ever) appears then you know that a previous player has Chosen that country (not terit) as his first choice placement. You then would know that country has been (possibly) claimed by a player.

If 'you' then place your first choice pick in that same country, then the next players to place their numbered choices down, would see Two colors blanketing that country.
Then they would understand that Two players have made there first pick in that same country.

Just as if you were sitting at a table and watching the player Chose what country he is going for at start...except you have no idea who that player is (unless you are the second player to place, his set up).

If you drop your first (only first) choice in the same terit as a previous player...it would make a horrible sound and you would have to chose again.
Cook waltero

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions