Conquer Club

Star Trek Vs Star Wars

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Star Trek Vs Star Wars

Postby universalchiro on Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 pm

john9blue wrote:nerrrrrds :geek:

Thank you :ugeek:
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby universalchiro on Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Woodruff wrote:
universalchiro wrote:Star Trek gets +1 for Spock

You...you I like.

Agreed Star Trek +1 for Spock. He is a great character.

Star Wars gets +1 for ship diversity. From Tie-fighters to X-wing. Very creative.

Star Trek gets +1 for each notable quote:
"Beam me up Scotty"
"He tasks me, he tasks me...."
Star Wars gets +1 for each notable quote:
"Luke, I am your father"
"May the Force be with you"
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 am

I like 3/7 of the Star Wars movies. Almost everything else associated with it has been terrible, apart from the Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky did.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Crazyirishman on Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I like Star Wars better because the KoTR and Battlefront video games were badass.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I will refrain from responding as I just signed Mets's petition against using ad hominems.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby universalchiro on Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Symmetry wrote:I like 3/7 of the Star Wars movies. Almost everything else associated with it has been terrible, apart from the Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky did.

The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3. Does Star Trek?

What in Star Wars Episodes 3 & 7 that stood out for you to select them as best?
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby waauw on Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

universalchiro wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I like 3/7 of the Star Wars movies. Almost everything else associated with it has been terrible, apart from the Clone Wars cartoon that Genndy Tartakovsky did.

The animated Clone Wars is a worthy watch. (Worth +1) And fills in a lot of details missed between Episodes 2-3. Does Star Trek?

I'm sorry but going from a real movie to a cartoon is such a turn-off
Lieutenant waauw

Postby universalchiro on Mon May 20, 2013 5:03 pm

waauw wrote:I never really enjoyed the star trek series, even though I like science fiction. I guess the oldfashion images are just such a turn-off compared to the awesome visual effects you get nowadays. I don't really have that problem with star wars.(although I do have to admit I liked the 2009 star trek movie)

+1 star wars better special effects there are :mrgreen:

I see your point. But this was based on current technology available for the producer & director. Ie compare the new Star Treks with the original Star Wars "New Hope, Episode IV".

Yet still, your point is conceded, for when the Millennium Falcon jumped into lights speed and the stars zipped by & twirled, that was so ground breaking, original & cutting. This equals:
Star Wars +1 special effects.
General universalchiro
SoC Training Adviser

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 5:10 pm

My list:

The Empire Strikes Back
The expanded Star Wars universe (books)
Star Trek: TNG
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Star Trek movies (original and new - I lump them together, but not the TNG movies)

I lump the rest in the category: I didn't like them. I never liked the original Star Trek. I was okay with Deep Space Nine, I suppose. And the prequels were disappointing at best.

One thing of note is that I thought TNG is and was a great television show but it did not translate well into the theaters, unfortunately.

One other thing to note, if TNG was never aired, Star Wars would win hands down as having the best stories and characters. TNG saves Star Trek from being relegated to a non-discussion for me.

Postby Woodruff on Mon May 20, 2013 6:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I will refrain from responding as I just signed Mets's petition against using ad hominems.

I find your lack of faith...<breathe>...disturbing.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AAFitz on Mon May 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Just saw it last night myself, and I wouldnt call it copying per se, Id call it paying homage to the best Star trek movie of all time. I like what they did with the story. It was awesome knowing the lines occasionally, and simultaneously not knowing what was going to happen next.

He even went so far as to hire the actor that played Khan and directed him to overact, in the spirit of Shatner....I presume. He really was a better actor when he wasnt talking.

If I had any complaint, and its a silly one, its that Carol Marcus was absolutely far too Beautiful. So much so that it was actually distracting. Maybe it was the 3d, but its a damn Star trek movie with trekkies going to it....seriously, I think they overshot....much like the trekkies no doubt
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby AAFitz on Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 pm

universalchiro wrote:Star Wars gets +1 for musical score by John Williams..

...adapted by John Williams....he did a nice job changing some classical music, but he didnt create most of it.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby Phatscotty on Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Star Trek blows.

Fav scene
Major Phatscotty

Postby AAFitz on Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Star Trek blows.

So you prefer an overall magical universe with an superpowers run by an evil empire, over an overall culturely diverse, scientifically based one.

Shocking!!!
Too much. I know.

Postby stahrgazer on Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

betiko wrote:all i know is that i never understood how people could find star trek remotely interesting...

If you wre a kid in the 80s, nothing can beat star wars, indiana jones & back to the future! :D (maybe james bond can)

If you'd been a kid in the 60s, you'd understand that Star Trek began the trend toward scifi tv. You'd realize that grocery stores didn't have automated doors but Gene Roddenberry thought them up for the Enterprise. You'd remember decades of wondering just how that "communicator" operated, and you'd vividly realize that once again, if it weren't for Gene Roddenberry's imagination, "cell phones" may not exist (because the original cellphone inventors were trying to create what Roddenberry had imagined.)

If you'd been a kid in the 60s, you'd remember that "black folk" didn't really associate with "white folk" on screen, and if you were an avid Star Trek fan, you'd know that Roddenberry had to fight hard to keep Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) on deck, and the censors nearly blocked out the episode where she kissed a white guy.

You'd know, as well, that Roddenberry originally imagined a woman second in command, but he couldn't get that by the network. They didn't want "Spock" either, so Roddenberry had to choose his fight. His woman second in command became Nurse Chapel (and he later married her) but the "alien" stayed.

You'd realize how many social issues that existed back then were explored to humankind's benefit on the USS Enterprise.

You'd also realize that if it hadn't been for "Star Trek," then "Star Wars" would probably never have arrived. Star Trek, after all, made "alien" be "normal." "Star Wars" made "normal aliens" be "fun."

Plus, Star Trek started the trend toward "visual effects." They may not be very "good" compared with Star Wars, but they started it.

So, if you had been a kid in the 60s, you'd understand very well why Star Trek was far, far more than "remotely" interesting.

So, in the end, Star Trek gets my vote for being the innovator that all other acts had to follow and improve on.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby stahrgazer on Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm

universalchiro wrote:Star Wars gets +1 Sith's shooting lightning bolts out of their fingers.

BZZZZZZZZT!

Star Trek did this first, in "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Granted, it looks better when the Sith do it 4 decades later :lol:
Last edited by stahrgazer on Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Woodruff on Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
universalchiro wrote:Star Wars gets +1 Sith's shooting lightning bolts out of their fingers.

BZZZZZZZZT!
Star Trek did this first.

Well...Gary wasn't a Sith...
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby stahrgazer on Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Woodruff wrote:Well...Gary wasn't a Sith...

It's still a copy of the idea, so ST should get the point for lightning fingers :D
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Star Trek blows.

So you prefer an overall magical universe with an superpowers run by an evil empire, over an overall culturely diverse, scientifically based one.

Shocking!!!

To be fair, the cultural diversity in Star Trek was limited to how peoples' heads looked. At least Star Wars had intelligent slugs.

Alien diversity - +1 for Star Wars

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Well...Gary wasn't a Sith...

It's still a copy of the idea, so ST should get the point for lightning fingers :D

Lightning Lad DC comics 1958.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 20, 2013 9:45 pm

[quote="stahrgazer"
If you'd been a kid in the 60s, you'd understand that Star Trek began the trend toward scifi tv.[/quote]

Dr Who 1963
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:[quote="stahrgazer"
If you'd been a kid in the 60s, you'd understand that Star Trek began the trend toward scifi tv.

Dr Who 1963[/quote]

Twilight Zone 1958
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue May 21, 2013 12:21 am

stahrgazer wrote:Gene Roddenberry's imagination, "cell phones" may not exist (because the original cellphone inventors were trying to create what Roddenberry had imagined.)

Yeah, well, Heinlein predicted personal portable phones way before Roddenberry.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Symmetry on Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 am

universalchiro wrote:

I meant 3 out of the 7 main movies. Episodes IV, V, and VI.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re:

Postby maxfaraday on Tue May 21, 2013 2:31 am

Symmetry wrote:
universalchiro wrote:

I meant 3 out of the 7 main movies. Episodes IV, V, and VI.

Wait, what 7th movie? the one they announced? You have yet to see it but you already know you don't like it? (well, Disney, yeah I can understand why you wouldn't like it even before it has aired but still...)
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,