Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:This has been on the news for a couple of days, but thought I would post it on our Off Topics: Nintendo grabs money, control from fans promoting its games on Youtube

In what's sure to be one of its most unpopular moves in recent memory, Nintendo has decided to claim ownership over many popular YouTube videos featuring its games. Specifically, they've targeted ā€œLet's Playā€ videos, where online personalities play games and offer running commentary.

These videos serve as a sort of mega-hybrid between a livestream, a game review, and a walkthrough. Nintendo has decided that because the videos lean so heavily on their products for the visual element that they fall under their copyright. As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator.

Nintendo is using Youtube's Content ID system to make this happen. The service searches Youtube for video or audio that matches a company's content, and then gives them control over that Youtube submission. ā€œIdentify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found,ā€ the official page states. ā€œMake money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.ā€

The real question that nobody seems able to answer right now is why Nintendo is bothering to legally pursue fans who are spreading the word about their games. YouTube ad revenue is famously low, and the earnings from Nintendo videos are virtually nil by the standards of an international corporation.

--Andy

What a bunch of shitheads (Nintendo, that is). Another example of how copyright laws reduce innovation and production.

For me, it's not even that...it's incredibly short-sighted on their part. These guys are MAKING NINTENDO MONEY by doing what they do. Why would they want to cut that out?

Aside from that, like thegreekdog, I'm rather "meh" as far as whether these guys get paid or not. I just think it's a dumb move.

Sure, there's that--from Nintendo's perspective, and yeah it doesn't make sense. I'm just responding to the typical argument I hear which supports patents and copyright law.

I'm miffed about their money being stolen by Nintendo because they provided a service which people demanded, and through that demand, some portion clicks on Ads at their YouTube channel. The ad revenue can serve as supplemental income for those who provide valuable services. When Nintendo and its swamp of lawyers bully YouTube and shove their USG-mandated laws in their face, then we should all be annoyed that a company + government laws is stealing revenue which was honestly made.

Does that not work the other way? These folks wouldn't be able to create their service which people demanded without Nintendo creating the games. That's why I'm meh.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 am

thegreekdog wrote:Does that not work the other way? These folks wouldn't be able to create their service which people demanded without Nintendo creating the games. That's why I'm meh.

I don't really care to get into the economics of it, since I leave that sort of discussion BBS and TGD. I just hope Lets Play videos don't ever get eradicated, since they are definitely part of my deciding factor when I am looking into purchasing a game!

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 pm

For the amatuer LPers, this will have little to no effect on them. For the proffessional LPers though, like the Mindcrack guys (many of whom rely on ad revenue for a living), this sort of thing is very detrimental.

1. The LPers get no money from posting the videos.
2. The LPers will eventually stop posting the videos.
3. Fewer people learn about these games.
4. Following 3, that means fewer games sold.
5. Ad revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to what Nintendo already makes.

LPers have created a new job niche, but should other companies follow suit for some reason, LPs would still be put up, but only short videos and much more time between new uploads. A pro LPer even said should other companies follow suit, he be lucky to post 1 video a week, since he would be looking for a new job (he posts several videos daily).

Yes, Nintendo created the games, but the LPers have become a new way to advertise the games with no cost/risk to Nintendo, and they only get ad revenue. And LPs are 90% about the person talking and commentating during the video. The rest is about the game.

So, I don't really see how this is beneficial at all to Nintendo. They get a pittance compared to the rest of their money, and the lose people who freely advertise Nintendo games.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:For the amatuer LPers, this will have little to no effect on them. For the proffessional LPers though, like the Mindcrack guys (many of whom rely on ad revenue for a living), this sort of thing is very detrimental.

LPers have created a new job niche, but should other companies follow suit for some reason, LPs would still be put up, but only short videos and much more time between new uploads. A pro LPer even said should other companies follow suit, he be lucky to post 1 video a week, since he would be looking for a new job (he posts several videos daily).

Yes, Nintendo created the games, but the LPers have become a new way to advertise the games with no cost/risk to Nintendo, and they only get ad revenue. And LPs are 90% about the person talking and commentating during the video. The rest is about the game.

So, I don't really see how this is beneficial at all to Nintendo. They get a pittance compared to the rest of their money, and the lose people who freely advertise Nintendo games.

Yeah, I would never argue that Nintendo is smart to shut these things down (albeit indirectly). That's incredibly stupid of them.

I'm just not going to get up on a soapbox to defend people who use someone else's video game to make money when the company that made the videogame wants a cut. I find it weird that BBS is so fired up about it. He gets fired up about little and never about stuff he's wrong about. You're wrong BBS. You read that right. You're wrong.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:This has been on the news for a couple of days, but thought I would post it on our Off Topics: Nintendo grabs money, control from fans promoting its games on Youtube

In what's sure to be one of its most unpopular moves in recent memory, Nintendo has decided to claim ownership over many popular YouTube videos featuring its games. Specifically, they've targeted ā€œLet's Playā€ videos, where online personalities play games and offer running commentary.

These videos serve as a sort of mega-hybrid between a livestream, a game review, and a walkthrough. Nintendo has decided that because the videos lean so heavily on their products for the visual element that they fall under their copyright. As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator.

Nintendo is using Youtube's Content ID system to make this happen. The service searches Youtube for video or audio that matches a company's content, and then gives them control over that Youtube submission. ā€œIdentify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found,ā€ the official page states. ā€œMake money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.ā€

The real question that nobody seems able to answer right now is why Nintendo is bothering to legally pursue fans who are spreading the word about their games. YouTube ad revenue is famously low, and the earnings from Nintendo videos are virtually nil by the standards of an international corporation.

--Andy

What a bunch of shitheads (Nintendo, that is). Another example of how copyright laws reduce innovation and production.

For me, it's not even that...it's incredibly short-sighted on their part. These guys are MAKING NINTENDO MONEY by doing what they do. Why would they want to cut that out?

Aside from that, like thegreekdog, I'm rather "meh" as far as whether these guys get paid or not. I just think it's a dumb move.

Sure, there's that--from Nintendo's perspective, and yeah it doesn't make sense. I'm just responding to the typical argument I hear which supports patents and copyright law.

I'm miffed about their money being stolen by Nintendo because they provided a service which people demanded, and through that demand, some portion clicks on Ads at their YouTube channel. The ad revenue can serve as supplemental income for those who provide valuable services. When Nintendo and its swamp of lawyers bully YouTube and shove their USG-mandated laws in their face, then we should all be annoyed that a company + government laws is stealing revenue which was honestly made.

Does that not work the other way? These folks wouldn't be able to create their service which people demanded without Nintendo creating the games. That's why I'm meh.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo owns other people's works. If I wrote about a book by Hemingway, it wouldn't follow that he owns my book. If I made money by giving lectures about Hemingway's book, it still doesn't follow that he owns my money--or even some cut of it.*

*(This is an IP issue; you'll argue the law, and I'll argue for something better because that law has become cumbersome, unnecessary, and it empowers the established players--thus reinforcing rent-seeking and crony capitalism).

It's a clear confiscation of property by a corporation through the power of government. How is that not outrageous? How is the rent-seeking and crony capitalism not outrageous here? Maybe if you identified more with the victim, then your reaction would be > "meh"?
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Thu May 23, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:For the amatuer LPers, this will have little to no effect on them. For the proffessional LPers though, like the Mindcrack guys (many of whom rely on ad revenue for a living), this sort of thing is very detrimental.

Yeah, I would never argue that Nintendo is smart to shut these things down (albeit indirectly). That's incredibly stupid of them.

I'm just not going to get up on a soapbox to defend people who use someone else's video game to make money when the company that made the videogame wants a cut. I find it weird that BBS is so fired up about it. He gets fired up about little and never about stuff he's wrong about. You're wrong BBS. You read that right. You're wrong.

Uh, dude, did Nintendo even bring them to the negotiating table? If not, then it's outright confiscation. If you post a blog about a few games from ConquerClub, does this mean that CC owns your blog? (No, of course not).

And this goes back to IP rights.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 23, 2013 2:48 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

Uh, dude, did Nintendo even bring them to the negotiating table? If not, then it's outright confiscation. If you post a blog about a few games from ConquerClub, does this mean that CC owns your blog? (No, of course not).

Did my blog show video of me playing Conquer Club? If the answer is yes, then I'm fucked.

Postby john9blue on Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Uh, dude, did Nintendo even bring them to the negotiating table? If not, then it's outright confiscation. If you post a blog about a few games from ConquerClub, does this mean that CC owns your blog? (No, of course not).

Did my blog show video of me playing Conquer Club? If the answer is yes, then I'm fucked.

what's the difference between video and (say) text + images?

what if i put a video review + commentary on youtube and used images from the game?

i think you are too caught up in what is legal instead of what is profitable or what is morally right.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I've played LoL for the first time. What's that all about?

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby john9blue on Thu May 23, 2013 9:15 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I've played LoL for the first time. What's that all about?

BMO

what do you mean? you're asking how it's played?

it's pretty grindy/expensive if you want to have a large roster of champions, but the game itself is super addictive.
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 pm

john9blue wrote:

BMO

it's pretty grindy/expensive if you want to have a large roster of champions, but the game itself is super addictive.

A friend of mine urged me to get it and further insisted that I would like playing as Rumble after I tried a few other and didn't like them. Admittedly, Rumble was pretty fun!

BMO

Postby john9blue on Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
john9blue wrote:

BMO

A friend of mine urged me to get it and further insisted that I would like playing as Rumble after I tried a few other and didn't like them. Admittedly, Rumble was pretty fun!

BMO

yeah, just keep trying free champions and only unlock them if you really like them. better to master a few champions than be mediocre at a bunch of them. and the game is fairly well balanced now (compared to the old days, lol) so you can succeed with pretty much any champion if you get good enough.

i'm not sure what level you are right now, but after you get a bit of experience in league, you'll notice that people start following a "metagame" of 1 champion top and mid, 2 champions bot, and 1 jungler. right now you will probably be fine putting your champion in any lane, but eventually people are going to expect you to take your champion to the lane that they perform best in (rumble, for example, usually goes top, and occasionally mid).

then when you get even MORE experienced, it might be a good idea to pick which lane/role you want to specialize in, and learn that as thoroughly as possible.
Captain john9blue

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 pm

john9blue wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:
john9blue wrote:

BMO

BMO

yeah, just keep trying free champions and only unlock them if you really like them. better to master a few champions than be mediocre at a bunch of them. and the game is fairly well balanced now (compared to the old days, lol) so you can succeed with pretty much any champion if you get good enough.

i'm not sure what level you are right now, but after you get a bit of experience in league, you'll notice that people start following a "metagame" of 1 champion top and mid, 2 champions bot, and 1 jungler. right now you will probably be fine putting your champion in any lane, but eventually people are going to expect you to take your champion to the lane that they perform best in (rumble, for example, usually goes top, and occasionally mid).

then when you get even MORE experienced, it might be a good idea to pick which lane/role you want to specialize in, and learn that as thoroughly as possible.

Sticking to one thing all the time sounds grindy/unfun. I think I'll stick to casual.

BMO

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am

john9blue wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Uh, dude, did Nintendo even bring them to the negotiating table? If not, then it's outright confiscation. If you post a blog about a few games from ConquerClub, does this mean that CC owns your blog? (No, of course not).

what's the difference between video and (say) text + images?

what if i put a video review + commentary on youtube and used images from the game?

i think you are too caught up in what is legal instead of what is profitable or what is morally right.

I don't know if "too caught up" is the right phrase. I can differentiate between the legality of something (it's probably not legal), the profitability of something (it's stupid for Nintendo to do this), and what is morally right (I don't give a shit about the relative moral rightness of defending some dudes who play videogames and comment on them for money).

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 24, 2013 3:56 pm

I pretty much derailed this topic. Back on topic, I look forward to playing Bioshock this weekend, since I picked it and Bioshock 2 up in that 5 dollar deal I posted about earlier. I've only got to play a little bit, but I really like the Telekinesis plasmid, probably because it fits my play style for a lot games---being a rogue without having to worry too much about ammo, and also picking up and moving and manipulating the environments (who doesn't like throwing dead bodies at living bodies to produce more dead bodies for throwing at more living bodies?)

--Andy

Postby rishaed on Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Thoughts on NFS:Rivals?
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I just installed Neverwinter Nights 2 and the two expansions.

YEAH WEEKEND!

Andy - Any review on Crusader Kings 2? I'm thinking of finally making the purchase.

Steam is having a mid-week madness sale on CK2. Not as cheap as I've seen it at other times, but at 9.99 that is a nice step down from $39.99. Ends on Thursday I think.

Edit: You can also get the base game + expansions for $19.99. Again, not as cheap as I've seen it before, but better than what they've been asking.

--Andy

Postby codierose on Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm

clash of clans iphone
Major codierose

Postby Lootifer on Tue May 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Starseed Pilgram... weirdly i keep coming back to it no matter how much i internally have little interest in it.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby thegreekdog on Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I just installed Neverwinter Nights 2 and the two expansions.

YEAH WEEKEND!

Andy - Any review on Crusader Kings 2? I'm thinking of finally making the purchase.

Steam is having a mid-week madness sale on CK2. Not as cheap as I've seen it at other times, but at 9.99 that is a nice step down from $39.99. Ends on Thursday I think.

Edit: You can also get the base game + expansions for $19.99. Again, not as cheap as I've seen it before, but better than what they've been asking.

--Andy

Unfortunately, my firm just gave us new computers and I haven't figured out how to get steam to work through our firewall.

I did get Panzer General 2 to work, so I have that to fall back on.

Postby Gillipig on Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 am

I picked up Skyrim again. This time I have the Dawnguard expansion pack. Meaning roaming around as a werewolf has become more advanced and fun. I love to just go berserk on people, sending them running by howling at them and then jump them, crush their skulls and eat their entrails.

Click image to enlarge.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby crispybits on Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm not playing any - mostly for this reason:

Major crispybits

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 pm

ITT: crispybits is bad at video games ;).

BMO

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:ITT: crispybits is bad at video games ;).

BMO

I agree. We should probably kick him out of the topic, or maybe restrict him to something like:

--Andy

Postby crispybits on Wed May 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Or just send me to google, get me to type "atari breakout" and then click on "images" (hint hint)
Major crispybits

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,