Conquer Club

Has Anyone Noticed?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Has Anyone Noticed?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 pm

You're making up a bunch of nonsense because I'm refusing to hold a discussion with you for reasons already stated yet ignored. Maybe if you act more like an ass, you'll get what you want?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
If these insignificant improvements do not lead to profitability, then those resources (thought, time, labor, etc.) which were spent on improving insignificant aspects were wasted--relative to pursuing better opportunities. Do you feel that CC is pursuing the better opportunities?

The problem is it's not blatantly obvious which improvements are are most cost effective. An "insignificant" update may actually be an efficient use of time/resources if it's relative cost is small. I can't say if CC is pursuing the best opportuities because it's hard telling not knowing but yeah, I do have some faith that they are smart enough to learn from their actions.

BigBallinStalin wrote: Would the resources spent on [insert superficial improvement here] have been better spent on more important features?

Do the decision-makers even know how to determine which is more important?

Are they satisfying the right groups at the right time with the highest priority?

How do they know?

The answers to these questions are also hard to say but it stands to reason that the decision makers, having better access to the data regarding the site, would be able to make the most educated guess. Even then, I'm sure there is a good deal of guesswork as well as some faith in the users to have half a clue as to what they want and(this is a leap) what will attract new users. The latter is of course the biggest unknown of all.

BigBallinStalin wrote: Although a few customers may have been satisfied with marginal improvements, does that correct the current trend of decline?

Does that bring CC to the path of long-run profitability? (Is that even the goal of the owner, or is he hoping to sell soon and be done with it?)

If these insignificant improvements do not lead to profitability, then those resources (thought, time, labor, etc.) which were spent on improving insignificant aspects were wasted--relative to pursuing better opportunities. Do you feel that CC is pursuing the better opportunities?

I honestly think that the important thing is that they are trying. You could spend all day debating which updates are going to be the most profitable/cost effective for the long run but until you actually try some out it's all just conjecture. Eventually you have to get your hands dirty and do some wading in order to have any kind of idea what really will make a positive difference and I feel that's just what they're doing. They may make some mistakes/non-optimal choices but if they pay attention to the resultant trends I think they will prevail.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I honestly think that the important thing is that they are trying. You could spend all day debating which updates are going to be the most profitable/cost effective for the long run but until you actually try some out it's all just conjecture. Eventually you have to get your hands dirty and do some wading in order to have any kind of idea what really will make a positive difference and I feel that's just what they're doing. They may make some mistakes/non-optimal choices but if they pay attention to the resultant trends I think they will prevail.

I hope so, but I think they lack the know-how--even though there's plenty of ideas on the board. Instead of your utopian vision, I look forward to a hallowed-out CC of 30 grumpy, regular forum-goers. In the desolate corner of cyberspace, their arguments would escape the notice of those in the RL. Then over the years, they slowly wither away, but their posts shall remain as incomplete reflections of their souls--both tortured and misunderstood.

I can dream, can't I, FT?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 18, 2013 12:14 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I hope so, but I think they lack the know-how--even though there's plenty of ideas on the board. Instead of your utopian vision, I look forward to a hallowed-out CC of 30 grumpy, regular forum-goers. In the desolate corner of cyberspace, their arguments would escape the notice of those in the RL. Then over the years, they slowly wither away, but their posts shall remain as incomplete reflections of their souls--both tortured and misunderstood.

Lolz.
Yeah, I'm being optimistic I'll admit but let's call it a hunch? Your version certainly sounds more romantic, I'll give you that.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Sat May 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I honestly think that the important thing is that they are trying. You could spend all day debating which updates are going to be the most profitable/cost effective for the long run but until you actually try some out it's all just conjecture. Eventually you have to get your hands dirty and do some wading in order to have any kind of idea what really will make a positive difference and I feel that's just what they're doing. They may make some mistakes/non-optimal choices but if they pay attention to the resultant trends I think they will prevail.

+1

Public interest is fickle, and despite propaganda to the contrary, marketing is more of an art than a science. A majority of people in focus groups preferred New Coke over old, but when released to the public, it was a legendary flop. Ultimately sometimes the only way forward is to just put one foot in front of the other and see what happens.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 18, 2013 6:07 pm

not long after the site changed hands the new owner pm'd me saying he'd really like to hear my thoughts on how to improve Tournaments. i felt honoured so i clicked reply and got

The webmaster does not accept messages.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Public interest is fickle, and despite propaganda to the contrary, marketing is more of an art than a science. A majority of people in focus groups preferred New Coke over old, but when released to the public, it was a legendary flop. Ultimately sometimes the only way forward is to just put one foot in front of the other and see what happens.

Great case in point, Dukasaur.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm

greenoaks wrote:not long after the site changed hands the new owner pm'd me saying he'd really like to hear my thoughts on how to improve Tournaments. i felt honoured so i clicked reply and got

Send a PM to King Achilles; he'll fix the problem by banning you or something. Customer service and all that.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Frito Bandito on Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

I hope so, but I think they lack the know-how--even though there's plenty of ideas on the board. Instead of your utopian vision, I look forward to a hallowed-out CC of 30 grumpy, regular forum-goers. In the desolate corner of cyberspace, their arguments would escape the notice of those in the RL. Then over the years, they slowly wither away, but their posts shall remain as incomplete reflections of their souls--both tortured and misunderstood.

You do realize, BBS, you are one of the 30 grumpy regulars? :)
Captain Frito Bandito

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 25, 2013 1:28 am

Funkyterrance wrote:I know it's much more fun to bitch but has anyone noticed that there have been some pretty thoughtful improvements to CC lately? The quick edit thing, the changes to the games waiting list, etc..

To risk not being in fashion, I would have to say CC has become more fun for me in the past month or so. Perhaps some credit is due to the new leadership? I'm thinking these changes are a sign of good things to come.

Meh...do we still have relatively-simple 6-year-old suggestions-that-are-really-bug-fixes uncoded? Can't say I'm that impressed.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat May 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Woodruff wrote:Meh...do we still have relatively-simple 6-year-old suggestions-that-are-really-bug-fixes uncoded? Can't say I'm that impressed.

These things take time, Woody. How many years did you give the old regime before you dropped your premium? I still say that the new management seems busy and that's a good thing.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby ljex on Sat May 25, 2013 3:52 pm

greenoaks wrote:not long after the site changed hands the new owner pm'd me saying he'd really like to hear my thoughts on how to improve Tournaments. i felt honoured so i clicked reply and got

That is likely old coding from Lackattack's webmaster days. It may be that the current webmaster is not even aware that this is an issue. I would suggest sending rds a reply.

The fact that the new webmaster even asked is a step up from lack though
Major ljex

Postby greenoaks on Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 pm

ljex wrote:

That is likely old coding from Lackattack's webmaster days. It may be that the current webmaster is not even aware that this is an issue. I would suggest sending rds a reply.

The fact that the new webmaster even asked is a step up from lack though

that never occurred to me.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Sat May 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I know it's much more fun to bitch but has anyone noticed that there have been some pretty thoughtful improvements to CC lately? The quick edit thing, the changes to the games waiting list, etc..

To risk not being in fashion, I would have to say CC has become more fun for me in the past month or so. Perhaps some credit is due to the new leadership? I'm thinking these changes are a sign of good things to come.

Meh...do we still have relatively-simple 6-year-old suggestions-that-are-really-bug-fixes uncoded? Can't say I'm that impressed.

You've alluded to this 6-year-old suggestion at least 10 times in the two years that I've been here. Would you please enlighten us about what it is? Perhaps it's buried in the pile and none of people in charge now have ever seen it. I would be happy to bring it to someone's attention for you.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Gillipig on Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 am

No one is as out of fashion as you funky, you have nothing to fear. The bottom is already yours, you can't sink any lower mate.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed May 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Gillipig wrote:

No one is as out of fashion as you funky, you have nothing to fear. The bottom is already yours, you can't sink any lower mate.

BEHOLD! King of the Bottom.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 pm

WTF???
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 am

Bravo!

Let me be the first to congratulate the development team on the new system of tooltips within the game!
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 am

Indeed! Very newbie friendly!

I just hope BOB + Clickies are back soon. They seem to be allergic to site updates. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 am

macbone wrote:Indeed! Very newbie friendly!

I just hope BOB + Clickies are back soon. They seem to be allergic to site updates. =)

Yeah, every update requires a BOB update as well. Still, a day or two without BOB is a small price to pay to be getting some site upgrades.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby The Voice on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:

Yeah, every update requires a BOB update as well. Still, a day or two without BOB is a small price to pay to be getting some site upgrades.

1-2 days of BOB>Tooltips

It's funny that approximately a week after the OP praising CC leadership, the unplanned API outage began.
Major The Voice

Postby AAFitz on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 am

Dukasaur wrote:

But one turn without clickable maps isnt.

I just joined a few games too, and the site click maps is so bad I dont even want to play them. How can they f*ck something so perfect up? Seriously.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 am

AAFitz wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I just joined a few games too, and the site click maps is so bad I dont even want to play them. How can they f*ck something so perfect up? Seriously.

I've experimented with using the clickies and I always go back to the pull-downs in the end, so I honestly don't know what the big deal about clickies is. I know some people swear by them, but unless you're playing freestyle speed then it seems that spending a few extra seconds to use the pull-downs is worth it, for being able to choose the exact number of troops that you want to advance instead of only choosing between advance none and advance all.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:00 am

Dukasaur wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I've experimented with using the clickies and I always go back to the pull-downs in the end, so I honestly don't know what the big deal about clickies is. I know some people swear by them, but unless you're playing freestyle speed then it seems that spending a few extra seconds to use the pull-downs is worth it, for being able to choose the exact number of troops that you want to advance instead of only choosing between advance none and advance all.

How many active games do you have? I'm currently on 118 and don't fancy taking the amount of turns I do every day with drop downs.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:04 am

I know, duk, it's much faster with clickies. I especially love the advance all feature of Clickable Maps. My turns are a lot faster with 'em.

For Term/Standard games when I'm dropping multiple places, it's just click, click, click and done. Very handy for foggy maps, too.
Colonel macbone

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion