Conquer Club

Unplanned API Outage

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Unplanned API Outage

Postby Jippd on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

scottp wrote:Here's a novel concept - test site updates before implementing? :o publish warnings?! :shock: Give developers a chance to update their scripts in advance of changes which break everything? :x

It's really irritating and unworthy of a subscription site. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You pay a subscription for the site not a subscription for any of the add-ons. The add-ons are not created by the website developers nor are they part of the package of your 2 dollars and some cents per month subscription that you pay for. I don't think it is fair to be so hard on the devs.

Sometimes being nice can get things done quicker than being mean.
Major Jippd

Postby scottp on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Jippd wrote:
scottp wrote:Here's a novel concept - test site updates before implementing? :o publish warnings?! :shock: Give developers a chance to update their scripts in advance of changes which break everything? :x

It's really irritating and unworthy of a subscription site. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You pay a subscription for the site not a subscription for any of the add-ons. The add-ons are not created by the website developers nor are they part of the package of your 2 dollars and some cents per month subscription that you pay for. I don't think it is fair to be so hard on the devs.

Sometimes being nice can get things done quicker than being mean.

my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, i doubt anyone's feelings were too hurt.

the add-ons are freely created by volunteers, as are the maps here. this business enterprise benefits GREATLY from the volunteer labor hours that users (not just the devs and mods) put in. this business enterprise ENCOURAGES those volunteer laborers to continue developing add-ons and other content. rolling out ham-handed updates which BREAK those freely given utilities is counter to the best interests of the business enterprise itself, not to mention all of its users, of which I am just one paying subscriber.

i agree that being nice is usually better than being mean, but sometimes customers don't FEEL nice. (Apparently I didn't the other day.) I've been on the receiving end before, and I'm sure everyone will get over it.

But thanks for the advice and for offering your perspective. I'm feeling much nicer today.

Oh, and thanks to the mods/devs for undoing the update so quickly! That was well-done! =D>
Account sitters = MagnusGreeol, concrete, RKCVED
Major scottp

Postby codierose on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 am

has there been more problems again bob and watched games gone nuts again
Major codierose

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives