Conquer Club

The Temple of Jinn [03/02/2014] V9m pg 15

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Temple of Thime [19/07/2013]

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Blakkrose wrote:I thought that since killing monsters is part of victory conditions was not the case of giving a bonus for killing them...

Blakkrose wrote:Red Dragon guards the treasure so there is no bonus for killing him, but I can increase the bonus for the Treasure from +1 to +2

perhaps the solution is to have no bonus for the monsters (same as the original map), but to place treasure behind every monster (same as the red dragon treasure) and reduce all of the monster neutrals to n5.

Blakkrose wrote:The only monster to kill for access to the Temple of Thime is the Marine Serpent so there is no bonus for killing him.

how does marine serpent guard the temple of thime? i cannot see how they are related.

Blakkrose wrote:Remember that St4 teleport (the Statue of Thime) connects with all the other teleport and this is a great strategic advantage.

if the statue of thime one-way attacks all teleports and bombards all gems, then that is a great strategic advantage. if it one-way attacks all teleports, but does not do anything else that is special, then it is not worth attacking 35 neutrals to gain this advantage and most players will ignore the statue of thime.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: The Temple of Thime [27/07/2013]

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 pm

I am still not sure that this map is clear to go. By the looks of that PM / Email Exchange, this will need another look. The way you put it blake was to make it seem like CC does not make any money when in fact it does. Quite a bit in fact. And while this map might not make CC a ton of money, CC is making money with it. Therefore it would fall under commercial purposes in which he stated it cannot be used. Your best bet to save CC and you a lot of pain later would be to link him to his site and show him what kinda business it is. I do not think this is gonna fly, but lets see.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Blakkrose on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:08 am

Bruceswar wrote:I am still not sure that this map is clear to go. By the looks of that PM / Email Exchange, this will need another look. The way you put it blake was to make it seem like CC does not make any money when in fact it does. Quite a bit in fact. And while this map might not make CC a ton of money, CC is making money with it. Therefore it would fall under commercial purposes in which he stated it cannot be used. Your best bet to save CC and you a lot of pain later would be to link him to his site and show him what kinda business it is. I do not think this is gonna fly, but lets see.

I'm sick of all your reasoning.
If you want my help, go ahead, otherwise I give up everything and I get to play!
Give me a clear answer: Forward or Stop
Private Blakkrose

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 am

Blakkrose wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:I am still not sure that this map is clear to go. By the looks of that PM / Email Exchange, this will need another look. The way you put it blake was to make it seem like CC does not make any money when in fact it does. Quite a bit in fact. And while this map might not make CC a ton of money, CC is making money with it. Therefore it would fall under commercial purposes in which he stated it cannot be used. Your best bet to save CC and you a lot of pain later would be to link him to his site and show him what kinda business it is. I do not think this is gonna fly, but lets see.

If you want my help, go ahead, otherwise I give up everything and I get to play!

I am just trying to keep you out of hot water. I do not have the answer for you. The Author does along with the blue team from CC. Your maps are really nice. Shame to see them go to waste. You clearly have skill, but you need to make sure you are in the clear first. Good luck!
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:49 am

Beautiful graphics.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 am

Blakkrose wrote:

Hi BlackRose

I myself am a trained professional in the design industry and it is best to cover all bases and ensure that anyone you are collaborating with knows ALL of the details. Please do not get angry, but I think it is best for you to cover all possible angles now, rather than have the artist come along later and say "NOPE, remove it, that's not what I agreed to." And they'd be perfectly within their rights to do so. That would be a bigger waste of your time, than smoothing everything over in the beginning.

Please link this thread to the artist and ask him to read it. Maybe even sign up and respond if he wants to. That way, everyone, including team CC will feel more comfortable about going ahead with it. All doubts will be gone and no one will bring it up again.

The obvious thing to do would be to include his url on the bottom of the finished map for original concept. I'm sure he'd be delighted with that.

Anyway, good luck with it. I love what you've done to it so far. It's really nice. I really can't see him saying "No" because CC isn't making profit directly from the map and crediting him will help him gain some more publicity for his own work. You just need total transparency with him at this point. ;)
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 am

Shannon Apple wrote:I myself am a trained professional in the design industry and it is best to cover all bases and ensure that anyone you are collaborating with knows ALL of the details. Please do not get angry, but I think it is best for you to cover all possible angles now, rather than have the artist come along later and say "NOPE, remove it, that's not what I agreed to." And they'd be perfectly within their rights to do so...

I have already disturbed the author for 2 times and I do not want to become pedantic.
I will write no more.
If you want to go ahead anyway, otherwise I give up. I lost some time but no matter.

Obviously I do not think i'll work with other maps if I will not do it all alone without the help of other people's material.

P.S.: the link to his site had already been included!
Private Blakkrose

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Blakkrose wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:I myself am a trained professional in the design industry and it is best to cover all bases and ensure that anyone you are collaborating with knows ALL of the details. Please do not get angry, but I think it is best for you to cover all possible angles now, rather than have the artist come along later and say "NOPE, remove it, that's not what I agreed to." And they'd be perfectly within their rights to do so...

I have already disturbed the author for 2 times and I do not want to become pedantic.
I will write no more.
If you want to go ahead anyway, otherwise I give up. I lost some time but no matter.

Obviously I do not think i'll work with other maps if I will not do it all alone without the help of other people's material.

P.S.: the link to his site had already been included!

No need to get pissy with me.

I was only trying to help, by telling you not to leave out any details in case something comes up later... that would be way worse.

It is not up to me to decide anything for you, and to be quite honest, I don't really care. Thanks... Good luck from here on out. I will no longer reply to this topic.
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Blakkrose on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 am

After the recent controversy I decided to redraw all graphics only taking inspiration from the work of Herwin.
This is the first try.
In this way I distance myself from his work creating something new, entirely made ā€‹ā€‹by me.

What do you think?
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Blakkrose on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Thime [02/08/2013]

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 pm

That looks killer. I really like the look of it! Keep going!
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby DearCyrus on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 pm

I actually like the look of your own work more! Awesome job!
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby Blakkrose on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:10 am

Bruceswar wrote:That looks killer. I really like the look of it! Keep going!

DearCyrus wrote:I actually like the look of your own work more! Awesome job!

Ok, let go on!!!
Private Blakkrose

Postby Aleena on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:07 am

Love it - keep it up!
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Aleena wrote:Love it - keep it up!

I'm working on. In a few days will publish the first complete version of the map with monsters and gameplay bonus
Private Blakkrose

Postby Blakkrose on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

This part of the level is almost final.
I'm working on 2 computers and I do not have full control of brightness.
I have to add the decorations Egyptians.
What do you think? Suggestions?

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Blakkrose on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private Blakkrose

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Blakkrose wrote: Fantasitaly, lost with my irreparably damaged 16Gb pen drive.

You might want to get a dropbox account. Even the smallest should hold a map file pretty well and give you some security. I started using if when I had a thumb drive eat a few working files I had for map ideas.

I also wanted to say that I love the idea for this map and your work has a style that I enjoy more so than the previous artwork. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Blakkrose on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 am

dolomite13 wrote:
Blakkrose wrote: Fantasitaly, lost with my irreparably damaged 16Gb pen drive.

You might want to get a dropbox account. Even the smallest should hold a map file pretty well and give you some security. I started using if when I had a thumb drive eat a few working files I had for map ideas.

I also wanted to say that I love the idea for this map and your work has a style that I enjoy more so than the previous artwork. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

=D13=

Thanks for the suggestion.
I already have a dropbox account and I'm using it.
Thanks again for the compliments :P
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Jinn [06/08/2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 am

Hello,
I finished the dungeon level with the right perspective and shadows.
Now I work at the Djinn and other monsters.
Always look forward to your opinions and suggestions
Click image to enlarge.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Jinn [06/08/2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:12 am

dolomite13 wrote:Love your latest update for the map. I have a few small concerns that I wanted to point out to you here rather than in the map thread.

A) I think it might be cool to skew the room titles on the map so they flow with the isometric view. Not sure how hard that will be, depends on what software your using I expect.

B) I think it is important that the map features (monsters, gems, etc...) don;t overlap the map connections. Both monsters I have circles on the map overlap the connection and may be hard for someone to see.

C) Small rooms are going to be hard to fit anything but troops into. And it may be hard to get troops, and a room label in there on the small version. The small version is more important than the large which is why Cairnswik designs that version first and why I will probably switch my design philosophy on my next map to doing that first.

Great job thus far. I am excited about the possibility of the isometric view and the theme is something that hasn't really been done.

Also if you wouldn't mind, what program are you using to do the map itself? Almost looks like google sketch up.

Hope that helped =)

=D13=
Click image to enlarge.

Thank you for your suggestions but I think that my latest image be misled.

A) The numbers that you see are not the names of the rooms but provisional labels to use for the teleporters.

B) The names of the monsters will be moved as you suggest.

C) For the names of the rooms look older versions of the map. I'm going to put the name out, close to the territory.

If something does not go well I'll be ready to change it.

For now, here is the latest update.

Click image to enlarge.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Jinn [07/08/2013]

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 am

Things look so tiny on this map. Have you saved it out as a small size? unit circles will be the same size as they are on this map (or should be) and will be bigger in relation on the small map and the teleport text/icons could be very hard to see.

Overall I am loving this map so far.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Aleena on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Love how it's coming along....

You do not need to change it - if you like the new look...
But I liked it a little better when you did not have a glow around the monsters...
The glow seems to blend out more of their detail, or just their "pow" impact...

Example - just looking at the two pictures in the posts right before this one...
The first one, the Marine Serpent is darker in color and really stands out...
The second one, it's lighter in color with a glow around it...

I actually like the first one better, but I think either will work...
So, just keep up the good work...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Blakkrose on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Things look so tiny on this map. Have you saved it out as a small size? unit circles will be the same size as they are on this map (or should be) and will be bigger in relation on the small map and the teleport text/icons could be very hard to see.

Overall I am loving this map so far.

=D13=

I'm working with Photoshop and when i'll create the small version i'll resize all the text easily.
I'm not afraid to tweak what will not.
For now I want to give the right look at the big version map.
Private Blakkrose

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 am

Aleena wrote:Love how it's coming along....

You do not need to change it - if you like the new look...
But I liked it a little better when you did not have a glow around the monsters...
The glow seems to blend out more of their detail, or just their "pow" impact...

Example - just looking at the two pictures in the posts right before this one...
The first one, the Marine Serpent is darker in color and really stands out...
The second one, it's lighter in color with a glow around it...

I actually like the first one better, but I think either will work...
So, just keep up the good work...

In these last 3 days I've been working exclusively on the work computer where the monitor is set darker than at home.
Last night I had a look at the map from home and I noticed several things that I do not like.
One of these is the light glow around the Marine Serpent and, more generally, the appearance of the monster. In the old version was more threatening and more defined, just as you say.

Today I will try again to change the monster avoiding glow effect.
I'll try to also change the Mummy.

The luminous effect in my opinion is fine for 4 Jinn (Efreet, Marid, Djinn and Dao) because they are elemental creatures and their bodies are not solid.
Same goes for the ghost.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Jinn [08/08/2013]

Postby Blakkrose on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am

This is the result of another work day.
The map is now over. I plugged in all circles, labels, starting points, neutral territories and I rewrote the legend.

I am always waiting for your suggestions
Click image to enlarge.
Private Blakkrose

Re: The Temple of Jinn [08/08/2013]

Postby MoB Deadly on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am

Dude! You are doing great! Keep it up I cant wait to see this map get activated one day!
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas