Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - [BETA]

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:46 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
iancanton wrote:winner's circle is missing the apostrophe.

ian. :)

No no. It's a statement. "Circle" is a verb, pointing out that s/he who wins in entitled to a victory lap. :lol:

No that's the "Victory Lap" ... "Winner's Circle" is the place in the Indy 500 and other races where the driver who wins the race is presented with some trophy or other award. At the Indy 500 they get a wreath and a jug of milk (this article explains why).

Anyway I will fix that shortly.

After watching that game you are in GeeksAreMyPeeps ... I think that one of you should be able to cache in a set and put troops on the back of your section of track and stop your opponent from getting reinforcements while you whittle away at them from behind ... If you guys are still playing that game after another 10 to 15 turns we may need to consider connecting the "winners circle" to the "pit row" ad a possible way to allow you to jump around the track. I would still rather not make this change if it can be helped as it sort of forces you out of trench and could imbalance other game modes.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:08 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
iancanton wrote:winner's circle is missing the apostrophe.

ian. :)

No no. It's a statement. "Circle" is a verb, pointing out that s/he who wins in entitled to a victory lap. :lol:

No that's the "Victory Lap" ... "Winner's Circle" is the place in the Indy 500 and other races where the driver who wins the race is presented with some trophy or other award. At the Indy 500 they get a wreath and a jug of milk (this article explains why).

I know. That was kind of a joke.

dolomite13 wrote:After watching that game you are in GeeksAreMyPeeps ... I think that one of you should be able to cache in a set and put troops on the back of your section of track and stop your opponent from getting reinforcements while you whittle away at them from behind ... If you guys are still playing that game after another 10 to 15 turns we may need to consider connecting the "winners circle" to the "pit row" ad a possible way to allow you to jump around the track. I would still rather not make this change if it can be helped.

=D13=

In an unbalanced game, that might be possible. But we both similar stacks (1334/1426) on the front lines, and a set is only worth 180 at this point. At most that's a speed bump that the opponent will roll over. I suppose one of us could hold back more troops to form a bigger wall, but that will only allow the other person to reinforce defensively and block the opponent from getting spoils as you suggest.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
In an unbalanced game, that might be possible. But we both similar stacks (1334/1426) on the front lines, and a set is only worth 180 at this point. At most that's a speed bump that the opponent will roll over. I suppose one of us could hold back more troops to form a bigger wall, but that will only allow the other person to reinforce defensively and block the opponent from getting spoils as you suggest.

I know Ian is against another major change like this ... as I really ... but I still think it worth exploring as a possible way to speed up games.

How do you feel being able to say attack the "pit row" from "winners circle" would change your game?

You could both pretty much kill each others track bonus via that route so then you would both be getting less troops. But then someone could jump across the map and drop a big pile of troops next to their opponents big pile and in one big bloodbath the game would probably be reset down to reasonable numbers.

How would this affect a non-trench game? would that extra connection seem like something that isn't in the theme of the map?

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:

I know Ian is against another major change like this ... as I really ... but I still think it worth exploring as a possible way to speed up games.

How do you feel being able to say attack the "pit row" from "winners circle" would change your game?

You could both pretty much kill each others track bonus via that route so then you would both be getting less troops. But then someone could jump across the map and drop a big pile of troops next to their opponents big pile and in one big bloodbath the game would probably be reset down to reasonable numbers.

How would this affect a non-trench game? would that extra connection seem like something that isn't in the theme of the map?

=D13=

I'm not sure whether there would be a huge need for that in non-trench games, unless someone is focused on taking out a specific player.

We've got a similar but different problem in this game (https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12678850); sorry, it's Fog, so it's tough to see what's going on. But basically all of the occupied territories are on the track and no one's moving because everyone is so built up that if you attack the person in front of you, you weaken yourself to your opponent behind you. Since I have the most territories it's just a matter of building up to a significant enough level to not weaken myself when pressing my advantage.
I wonder if opening it up so that you can attack the segment in front of you or the red circle in the next segment would make any difference.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:

=D13=

I'm not sure whether there would be a huge need for that in non-trench games, unless someone is focused on taking out a specific player.

We've got a similar but different problem in this game (https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12678850); sorry, it's Fog, so it's tough to see what's going on. But basically all of the occupied territories are on the track and no one's moving because everyone is so built up that if you attack the person in front of you, you weaken yourself to your opponent behind you. Since I have the most territories it's just a matter of building up to a significant enough level to not weaken myself when pressing my advantage.
I wonder if opening it up so that you can attack the segment in front of you or the red circle in the next segment would make any difference.

Something like ...

"All track locations assault all track locations in the same or next track segment counterclockwise. If you hold the Winner's Circle your track segments may assault up to two track segments counterclockwise"

This would be sort of a "drafting" maneuver that would let you dump forces on the winners circle every turn to try and overtake an opponent on the track.

Thoughts?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:
GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:

=D13=

Something like ...

"All track locations assault all track locations in the same or next track segment counterclockwise. If you hold the Winner's Circle your track segments may assault up to two track segments counterclockwise"

This would be sort of a "drafting" maneuver that would let you dump forces on the winners circle every turn to try and overtake an opponent on the track.

Thoughts?

=D13=

That opens it up a bit. I'm not sure that's going to make a huge difference in the game that you initially mentioned, as we both control about half the track, and a continuous stretch of it, but I think the current situation is going to be a relative rarity.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Re: The Conquer 500 - [Trench Issues Discussion]

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 am

Based on how several Trench games have become bogged down with the final two players forces existing only on the track, just waiting for an opponent to miss their turns, give up, or suicide I believe there is probably a simple solution that will help open up the track a little bit or possibly a lot that would let the player with superior forces end the game as it should be.

I am still considering one of these options.

1) Winner's Circle assaults Pit Row - Represents a "victory lap", I know i'm stretching fir that analogy. (preferred solution - makes you need to go through 40 forces to be allowed to jump across the track)
or
2) If you hold the Winner's Circle your track segments may assault up to two track segments counterclockwise, this would represent "drafting" on a race track (possibly not enough of a difference)
or
3) adding a "white flag" space, the white flag signals one lap to go in a race, this space would be 100 neutral and could be assaulted by and assault all track locations. (I would rather not add a whole new location but this would quickly end those imbalanced trench games)

Provided that the foundry execs agree that

1) trench games need the help as they can get bogged down on the track
2) the change can be added with minimal effort
3) the change doesn't unbalance other game play modes

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:36 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Based on how several Trench games have become bogged down with the final two players forces existing only on the track, just waiting for an opponent to miss their turns, give up, or suicide I believe there is probably a simple solution that will help open up the track a little bit or possibly a lot that would let the player with superior forces end the game as it should be.

1) Winner's Circle assaults Pit Row - Represents a "victory lap", I know i'm stretching fir that analogy. (preferred solution - makes you need to go through 40 forces to be allowed to jump across the track)
or
2) If you hold the Winner's Circle your track segments may assault up to two track segments counterclockwise, this would represent "drafting" on a race track (possibly not enough of a difference)
or
3) adding a "white flag" space, the white flag signals one lap to go in a race, this space would be 100 neutral and could be assaulted by and assault all track locations. (I would rather not add a whole new location but this would quickly end those imbalanced trench games)

=D13=

I think one of the fundamental problems is that once you're limited to track locations only, the only way to improve your chances of winning are to take the next location. In Trench that means taking the next segment, but unless you're already in really good shape it's zero-sum, since you probably don't have the forces to protect your rear and press ahead. Maybe the solution is to allow the Winner's Circle to Assault the Equipment, as that would then change the dynamic to include multiple avenues of action. Otherwise the track is the only thing to defend, and the only place to secure a bonus.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Based on how several Trench games have become bogged down with the final two players forces existing only on the track, just waiting for an opponent to miss their turns, give up, or suicide I believe there is probably a simple solution that will help open up the track a little bit or possibly a lot that would let the player with superior forces end the game as it should be.

or
or

=D13=

I think one of the fundamental problems is that once you're limited to track locations only, the only way to improve your chances of winning are to take the next location. In Trench that means taking the next segment, but unless you're already in really good shape it's zero-sum, since you probably don't have the forces to protect your rear and press ahead. Maybe the solution is to allow the Winner's Circle to Assault the Equipment, as that would then change the dynamic to include multiple avenues of action. Otherwise the track is the only thing to defend, and the only place to secure a bonus.

I really don't want the track to be able to allow you to get back into the pits once eliminated from there. In a real race in the last few laps it all comes down to not wrecking or running out of fuel which by not having pits it simulates that end of the race but there is no urgency at the end ...no sense that the race is almost over... 1 and 3 above could do that

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

BUG ALERT!!!! - NEW XML UPDATE NEEDED

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm

BUG ALERT! - Looks like the connection we added between pit equipment and pit row seems to have disappeared.

I fixed it in the xml. Can we get this uploaded soon please.

=D13=
Attachments
Conquer500v.xml
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am

Several of the games I am in seem like they could use a way to jump across the track. Almost every game seems to degenerate into 2 or 3 players going in a circle on the track having bombarded the pits clean. I really think that a change has to be made to open up the track and I am now more certain than ever that a simple addition of that one way connection from "Winners Circle" to "Pit Row" would open up the track for that end game craziness you can see on the last few laps of a race.

Winner's Circle assaults Pit Row

* Represents a "victory lap", I know i'm stretching for that analogy. (preferred solution - makes you need to go through 40 forces to be allowed to jump across the track)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - [BUG ALERT - FIX IN NEW XML]

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:49 am

How about all those red circles on the track can assault each other. This should also alleviate the problems associated with trench games. Just an idea.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:11 pm

isaiah40 wrote:How about all those red circles on the track can assault each other. This should also alleviate the problems associated with trench games. Just an idea.

Interesting Idea. I worry about that change making the map too open too early and defeating the purpose of the attack counterclockwise mechanic. By adding the "Winners Circle" assaults "Pit Row" we get 40 troops standing between you and assaulting any red circle you want to assault. Which should make it more of a late game option and should not change the early game strategy all that much if at all. And adding this change would be easy, only one xml connection and one tiny line in the map key "Assault Pit Row".

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:09 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:How about all those red circles on the track can assault each other. This should also alleviate the problems associated with trench games. Just an idea.

Interesting Idea. I worry about that change making the map too open too early and defeating the purpose of the attack counterclockwise mechanic. By adding the "Winners Circle" assaults "Pit Row" we get 40 troops standing between you and assaulting any red circle you want to assault. Which should make it more of a late game option and should not change the early game strategy all that much if at all. And adding this change would be easy, only one xml connection and one tiny line in the map key "Assault Pit Row".

=D13=

While I'm not objecting to this, when there are still a decent number of players left there are going to be opportunities for players to use that route by only taking 2 opponent troops, when those locations have just been conquered. Not sure if this changes gameplay drastically but thought I'd point it out.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:34 pm

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

While I'm not objecting to this, when there are still a decent number of players left there are going to be opportunities for players to use that route by only taking 2 opponent troops, when those locations have just been conquered. Not sure if this changes gameplay drastically but thought I'd point it out.

In the mid game people often grab the winners circle and decimate the pit area. This is what usually causes the game being down to only a few players on the track that are stuck going in circles. Now when they go for the pits they will have to take into account what that will do to their tactical position on the track. In a race when you decide to take a pit stop for gas and tires you risk losing track position. That is how I see using the winners circle mid race. This may have an added benefit of making players hold off on that pit assault till they can afford to leave 20 or more troops on the winners circle as protection.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Donelladan on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I am not sure I am understanding. Didnt read all carefully. I love the map =D> . I played it several times. I dont see why you would like to change anything to the track.

Which kinds or games are you considering?
I have been playing escalating, 100% ok, great map for escalating.
I played 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, and 4vs4. I dont see any pb with the track. I also played trench. Even though one the game is a stale currently - flat rate, 8 players, no round limit, my mistake !
Usually trench has no pb on the map. Especially with the winner circle and the pit row being killer neutral that is interesting map for trench.
And current system of the track is also very good for trench, where you may grab a bonus, but you can't protect it basically is someones is coming from the other direction.

How about all those red circles on the track can assault each other. This should also alleviate the problems associated with trench games. Just an idea.

From Pit Row you can already attack all red circles on the track. I dont see the pb here.
And if people are running circle on the track, well, that's a race, that's how it is supposed to be played :lol: !
I think this is very similar to Circus Maximus Map, we dont have pb with that one. I dont see pb with the conquer 500 on trench.

Don't change anything ! please....
Colonel Donelladan

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Donelladan wrote:I am not sure I am understanding. Didnt read all carefully. I love the map =D> . I played it several times. I dont see why you would like to change anything to the track.

Which kinds or games are you considering?
I have been playing escalating, 100% ok, great map for escalating.
I played 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, and 4vs4. I dont see any pb with the track. I also played trench. Even though one the game is a stale currently - flat rate, 8 players, no round limit, my mistake !
Usually trench has no pb on the map. Especially with the winner circle and the pit row being killer neutral that is interesting map for trench.
And current system of the track is also very good for trench, where you may grab a bonus, but you can't protect it basically is someones is coming from the other direction.

From Pit Row you can already attack all red circles on the track. I dont see the pb here.
And if people are running circle on the track, well, that's a race, that's how it is supposed to be played :lol: !
I think this is very similar to Circus Maximus Map, we dont have pb with that one. I dont see pb with the conquer 500 on trench.

Don't change anything ! please....

The problem happens mainly in trench and in no spoils games where someone stacks on track till they use the winners circle to decimate the pit area leaving no access to pit row. Track troops can get stuck in a stalemate. My solution would simply give players a way (although expensive) to cross the track. It is possible that we should just say "so sorry trench players don't let yourself get stuck with an empty pit area" but I would love a solution that doesn't change the play of non trench games by much. Maybe the "white flag" territory with 100 troops (Killer 100) that can assault all red circles and can be assaulted by the winners circle would work. That would surely make it a late game only type of location.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:33 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Maybe the "white flag" territory with 100 troops (Killer 100) that can assault all red circles and can be assaulted by the winners circle would work. That would surely make it a late game only type of location.

=D13=

I'm thinking this is the best solution to solve the current problem. The cost is such that you wouldn't be tempted to use it unless it's the only way to secure a victory.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby Donelladan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 am

If someones is able to spend 100 on neutrals then kill their opponents, they should be able to win even if everyone is stuck on the track. It is not really difficult if you have the troops to stop progression of other players around the track, you let a big stack on the track and kill everyone trying to advance, if you have the troops, from the other side you keep advancing and killing everyone. If you cannot do that, then a 100 neutrals to attack everyone on the track wont change much, except playing escalating trench eventually but if you play escalating trench I dont think you have so many stalemate once everyone is out of the crew area.

I am quite sure the stalemate problem doesnt come from the map gameplay but for the players.
Stalemate happens on any map.

Otherwise I noticed a small bug.
You are able to attack Pit Row from any Pit equipment according to rules on the map. But BOB doesnt show the connection. I cant check right now if it is indeed possible to attack pit row - so it is BOB problem not showing connection where it is - or if you really cant attack Pit Row from pit equipment then it is a map problem because it should be the case.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 am

Donelladan wrote:If someones is able to spend 100 on neutrals then kill their opponents, they should be able to win even if everyone is stuck on the track. It is not really difficult if you have the troops to stop progression of other players around the track, you let a big stack on the track and kill everyone trying to advance, if you have the troops, from the other side you keep advancing and killing everyone. If you cannot do that, then a 100 neutrals to attack everyone on the track wont change much, except playing escalating trench eventually but if you play escalating trench I dont think you have so many stalemate once everyone is out of the crew area.

I am quite sure the stalemate problem doesnt come from the map gameplay but for the players.
Stalemate happens on any map.

Otherwise I noticed a small bug.
You are able to attack Pit Row from any Pit equipment according to rules on the map. But BOB doesnt show the connection. I cant check right now if it is indeed possible to attack pit row - so it is BOB problem not showing connection where it is - or if you really cant attack Pit Row from pit equipment then it is a map problem because it should be the case.

Take a look at this game: https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12995740
There's no strategy that will win this game under the current rules. It's going to come down to who is forced to miss turns because of real life. We're both relatively balanced in troop numbers so no one is going to be able to effectively block the other from getting spoils, and we both control a long enough stretch of track to avoid putting our stacks in danger of being attacked. Unless someone makes a bad decision in an effort to try something new, or gives up, this game will go on forever.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby PaRKoN on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:14 am

Regardless the map issues, I think you can get him.
Brigadier PaRKoN

Postby Donelladan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:42 am

I am really surprised you suceed in being so close so that nobody actually has real advantage currently. I dont expect that happening very often
For now you have a 2 troops advantage, in 200 turns will give you 400 troops advantage, might be you block him :D
Colonel Donelladan

Postby GeeksAreMyPeeps on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 am

Donelladan wrote:I am really surprised you suceed in being so close so that nobody actually has real advantage currently. I dont expect that happening very often
For now you have a 2 troops advantage, in 200 turns will give you 400 troops advantage, might be you block him :D

In 400 turns we'll be able to cash in spoils for thousands, so that's not going to help.

I'll admit this is probably going to be a rarity, but you see that it's a real possibility.
Major GeeksAreMyPeeps

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 am

Donelladan wrote:Otherwise I noticed a small bug.

Yes I fixed that and uploaded a new xml (several posts back and on the first post) and contacted foundry staff and we are waiting for that xml to get uploaded.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 am

GeeksAreMyPeeps wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Maybe the "white flag" territory with 100 troops (Killer 100) that can assault all red circles and can be assaulted by the winners circle would work. That would surely make it a late game only type of location.

=D13=

I'm thinking this is the best solution to solve the current problem. The cost is such that you wouldn't be tempted to use it unless it's the only way to secure a victory.

I gave this a lot of thought last night (while watching 4 episodes of Breaking Bad) and I think a location called "Final Lap" with 100 neutral (Killer 100) that is adjacent to all red circles would open up the track for the late game. It probably wouldn't be used in most games but would at least make games that would be stuck in a stalemate have a way to create some excitement.

This way we have 3 key territories.

• Pit Row (20 neutral/Killer 20) ==Assaults==> Red Circles
  • Track ==Assaults==> Winners Circle (20 neutral/Killer 20) --Bombards--> Entire Pit Side
  • Red Circles <==Assaults==> Final Lap (100 neutral/Killer 100)
I have been trying very hard to keep the racing theme for this map. The only thing I did not represent was Drivers, Yellow Flag, and White Flag... by adding the "Final Lap/White Flag" I feel it keeps with the theme of the map and sort of makes the game have that sense of urgency near the end like an actual race. The final lap is the most exciting lap in the race.

I will post a possible image later today so we can see how this would change the layout a bit.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas