Conquer Club

Update 9/5/13

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Update 9/5/13

Postby TeeGee on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:41 am

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:I have to say, updates 6 days apart from one another is very encouraging for the future of this site. Thanks for the updates bigWham and I hope you keep them coming :)

Without saying too much, keep a regular check on the Announcements page :D
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Robespierre__ on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:13 am

These additions are really great! Thanks for all your hard work, coding and volunteer team. Keep it up. As someone who is running a large tournament, anything you do that can make mass game creating easier would be *MUCH* appreciated. The greatest would be some methodology that would allow a .csv file or the like be converted into a massive amount of games created. I know that is probably wishful thinking and problematic for the game engine, but I throw it out there. I will go over to the suggestions forum and mention it.

Also, any of you that are not premium members,if you are not in abject poverty, then you need to pony up the nominal sum that the site requests for premium membership in order for your views to carry any weight at all. If you are not even willing to throw $25 to pay for server and development time, then you are just whizzing in the wind IMHO.

Robes
Major Robespierre__

Postby bigWham on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 am

OliverFA wrote:
bigWham wrote:
Sprechen wrote:I'd like to be able to create games with minimum rank requirements. For example, limiting those who can join a game to two ranks below mine and above. This works really well on a chess site I use.

pop on over to the Suggestions forum with your suggestions!

i think that one has been put forward many times but they'll let you know

Unfortunatelly the suggestions forum is not very active right now. I have submitted a couple of ideas lately and got not much answer, mainly from people who said "We don't like your suggestion because it's different to how we are playing now and would force us to change our way of thinking".

let's change that OliverFA!

you, me & the rest of the Club will turn this around!!

you can see Suggestions getting implemented, no? I know we have a lot of catching up to do... but believe me we will be taking Suggs seriously. Aside from implementing suggestions (the important part), the process is being worked on too.
Colonel bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby bigWham on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:09 am

betiko wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
bigWham wrote:
Sprechen wrote:I'd like to be able to create games with minimum rank requirements. For example, limiting those who can join a game to two ranks below mine and above. This works really well on a chess site I use.

Unfortunatelly the suggestions forum is not very active right now. I have submitted a couple of ideas lately and got not much answer, mainly from people who said "We don't like your suggestion because it's different to how we are playing now and would force us to change our way of thinking".

have you got links to those because all i've seen is people point out the flaws with your suggestions.

Lol exactly.
Oliver, this is not someting personal and you seem to see it as such. Your suggestion is an open gate for new types of cheating and abuse (survivor mode). Stop inventing stuff up. I love all novelties and I play all type of games, probably like most people completely against your idea. Most people are against it because of all its flaws, deal with it and stop making stuff up.

Otherwise, bigwham, the minimum\max rank thing has been proposed about a million times. The suggestion moderators just archive it as rejected, with no discution possible. This was lack's vision of the site. It is purely rejected each time because the previous admin was against it. Since this is such a popular request, we would be interested to have your personal opinion on the matter. Is this something that could be reconsidered to satisfy a large part of the community?

Yes, open it back up for consideration.

And OliverFA, do be realzies with your suggestions! Think about compromising, how to make the sugg address the issues people have with it.
Colonel bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby betiko on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

TeeGee wrote:
-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:I have to say, updates 6 days apart from one another is very encouraging for the future of this site. Thanks for the updates bigWham and I hope you keep them coming :)

Without saying too much, keep a regular check on the Announcements page :D

Yup, above expectations! Pretty funny to remember that the platinum medals, which is more or less the only thing done during the reign of el jefe took over 6 month between the anouncement and the resolution of all bugs.
Major betiko

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am

Wooooooo hoooooo wow... Changes!!!
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby OliverFA on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 pm

bigWham wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
bigWham wrote:

let's change that OliverFA!

you, me & the rest of the Club will turn this around!!

you can see Suggestions getting implemented, no? I know we have a lot of catching up to do... but believe me we will be taking Suggs seriously. Aside from implementing suggestions (the important part), the process is being worked on too.

I take pride of the Trench settings suggestion (Previously Adjacent Attacks ;) ) Not my own suggestion, and not the only supporter, but with no doubt one of the most active ones. So yes, I saw suggestions implemented even before. Now that you have dinamized the site, we will no doubt see a lot more suggestions implemented :D

By the way, one suggestion that seems really interesting is the "Infected neutrals" that have been around since I first joined long ago. I am no related in any way with that suggestion, but I think it's worth taking a look at it because adds a complete new dimension without having to program any AI and with a component of predictability that is desirable in an strategy game.
Last edited by OliverFA on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:05 pm

betiko wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
bigWham wrote:

have you got links to those because all i've seen is people point out the flaws with your suggestions.

Lol exactly.
Oliver, this is not someting personal and you seem to see it as such. Your suggestion is an open gate for new types of cheating and abuse (survivor mode). Stop inventing stuff up. I love all novelties and I play all type of games, probably like most people completely against your idea. Most people are against it because of all its flaws, deal with it and stop making stuff up.

Otherwise, bigwham, the minimum\max rank thing has been proposed about a million times. The suggestion moderators just archive it as rejected, with no discution possible. This was lack's vision of the site. It is purely rejected each time because the previous admin was against it. Since this is such a popular request, we would be interested to have your personal opinion on the matter. Is this something that could be reconsidered to satisfy a large part of the community?

Maybe I misunderstand things, but those criticisms appeared to me far from constructive and more like "no because no", that's why I get tired of answering them. No point in getting angry about that. However, I promise to take a look at it with a fresh approach and try to improve my suggestions.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Great work. As always, I really appreciate your work rds, blake and others involved. And bigWham, you've made a huge impression almost instantly.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby The Dominatrix on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Since yesterday I have only been able to play one game at a time every time I go in to create a game error button comes up why?????
Private The Dominatrix

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Re betiko:Max rank has not been rejected.

Re OliverFA: I don't like the Survivor mode because stacking players (which are present in very many escalators and even win some of them) will get more of a reason to just stack.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby blakebowling on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:32 pm

The Dominatrix wrote:Since yesterday I have only been able to play one game at a time every time I go in to create a game error button comes up why?????

What error are you receiving?
Private blakebowling

Postby OliverFA on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:42 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Re betiko:Max rank has not been rejected.

Re OliverFA: I don't like the Survivor mode because stacking players (which are present in very many escalators and even win some of them) will get more of a reason to just stack.

You are judging a setting just by one of many options. Not all settings will work equally good with all the different options.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby Shannon Apple on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 pm

=D>

bigWham wrote:
betiko wrote:

Good to hear. I would definitely welcome this as well. :)
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Lindax on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:=D>

bigWham wrote:
betiko wrote:

I would still like to see a system (mainly for speed games) where you can set up a game with the ante being 10, 20 or 30 points (for example). If you join, no matter your rank, you play for those points.

Example: I set up a 7 player escalating speed game with an ante of 20 points. The winner takes 120 points, the rest lose 20 points.

As an added option it would make speed games a lot more attractive.

Lx

PS: I can't post in the game chat of games I'm not in. Is that another update? If so, I don't like it....
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Major Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby blakebowling on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Lindax wrote:PS: I can't post in the game chat of games I'm not in. Is that another update? If so, I don't like it....

This is actually a bug. I've now fixed it.
Private blakebowling

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 pm

Lindax wrote:

bigWham wrote:
betiko wrote:

I would still like to see a system (mainly for speed games) where you can set up a game with the ante being 10, 20 or 30 points (for example). If you join, no matter your rank, you play for those points.

Example: I set up a 7 player escalating speed game with an ante of 20 points. The winner takes 120 points, the rest lose 20 points.

Lx

PS: I can't post in the game chat of games I'm not in. Is that another update? If so, I don't like it....

Could be neat, but would almost nullify the ranking system completely since a cook could "gamble" 700 points and...well.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby maasman on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:21 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
Lindax wrote:

bigWham wrote:
betiko wrote:

Lx

Could be neat, but would almost nullify the ranking system completely since a cook could "gamble" 700 points and...well.

Easy fix there, just set the limit to the current ones, 1-100 points lost. Plus, who the hell would join that game :lol:
Major maasman

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 pm

I feel like this could be abused by friends...I'll be sure to discuss it with BigWham!

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm

maasman wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:
Lindax wrote:

bigWham wrote:
betiko wrote:

Lx

Easy fix there, just set the limit to the current ones, 1-100 points lost. Plus, who the hell would join that game :lol:

Definitely not a fan of this idea. A lot of people would play games for 1 point. A lot of farming would be done against the noobs that think they can win 50 points, etc. All I see is potential for abuse and people working the system on this.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby greenoaks on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:01 am

patrickaa317 wrote:Definitely not a fan of this idea. A lot of people would play games for 1 point. A lot of farming would be done against the noobs that think they can win 50 points, etc. All I see is potential for abuse and people working the system on this.

that's the way i see it too.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Shannon Apple on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:42 am

Not sure if that's what Lindax meant. If something like that was set up, the "ante" should be 20 points and 20 points only. No matter who joins, it would be as if they are all on equal points. There should be no option for a bigger gamble. That is the only fair-ish way of doing it and it would prevent points abuse to some degree. However, farmers would have a great time taking points from cooks with that system without risk.

Yeah. Anything that has the potential to be grossly abused by dishonest people shouldn't happen, but definitely liking the idea of putting a range on the points that can join games that you create. Although that limit should be within reason. It would have almost the same effect as what Lindax said without anyone being able to abuse it.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Swifte on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:10 am

The whole point of the current scoring system is that if a stronger player plays a weaker player (in terms of their relative scores) the stronger player should be rewarded less for the win, as they would be expected to win more often. The higher ranked player correspondingly risks losing more points if the fall to a weaker opponent.

In an ante system, the stronger player can win a disproportionately high number of points from weaker opponents, while risking relatively fewer points (since everyone contributes the same number of points to the pot) - every point farmer in his right mind would rather play these kinds of games than games under the current system - less risked, easier potential for gain against the same lesser opponents.

I don't think an ante system could co-exist with the current scoring system at all.
Colonel Swifte

Postby jimboy on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Swifte wrote:The whole point of the current scoring system is that if a stronger player plays a weaker player (in terms of their relative scores) the stronger player should be rewarded less for the win, as they would be expected to win more often. The higher ranked player correspondingly risks losing more points if the fall to a weaker opponent.

In an ante system, the stronger player can win a disproportionately high number of points from weaker opponents, while risking relatively fewer points (since everyone contributes the same number of points to the pot) - every point farmer in his right mind would rather play these kinds of games than games under the current system - less risked, easier potential for gain against the same lesser opponents.

I don't think an ante system could co-exist with the current scoring system at all.

I completely agree with Swifte's statements on this matter. An ante system will be a farmers paradise.
General jimboy

Postby Paddy The Cat on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:10 pm

The bigWham has not been a let down thus far!
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives