Conquer Club

ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?

Postby riskibiz on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Apologies if already addressed - had a look and couldn't find:

For a few weeks now (not sure when started but I think when the big changes took place), every time i open a new page on CC, any page, after about 2 secs a box comes up in the center of the screen with a 8 digit number with a simple OK button to press. This happens 3 times in a row (3 different 8 digit numbers, sometimes in different sequence) and the background (the page i just opened) is very dark until i press the OK button 3 times and the box goes away.

After about a week, it was working fine for about a day or so, then started happening again all of a sudden. So I did a whole computer scan with AVG and no threats found. I also cleaned the computer with CCleaner.

Another peculiar thing i noticed is that when this issue went away, for some reason my saved game searches on Game Finder all disappeared. Now that this is happening again, the saved game searches have returned.

Don't think its from another website I had open at the same time (nothing i haven't always had open before this started) or a malicious software installed on my computer (full AVG scan showed no threats found).

Furthermore, no other program or website i access has any problem like this, only CC.

I also wonder if the 3 x 8 digit numbers are of any significance. They seem to be game numbers.

I use Firebox. No other browsers tabs open or any popups.

In addition, once in awhile when opening a new page, instead of the 3 x 8 digit numbers appearing in 3 boxes in succession, a box first appears with 1 of the 8digit numbers, under which is a checkbox with "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogues", with an OK box under that. Clicking the OK does nothing but close that box, whether or not I've checked the checkbox above.

I also tried logging out, and noticed that when I open any pages while logged out, this doesn't happen, no such annoying boxes. So its just when i'm logged in.

It may also we worthwhile pointing out that nothing else i do on the laptop, whether web related or not, has had anything wierd happening. Its only on CC and only if I'm logged in.

Any ideas, kind fellow CCers? I'd be much appreciative if someone could up with some posible solutions.

Thanks in advance
Sergeant 1st Class riskibiz

Re: ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?

Postby riskibiz on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Its been over a day now and nobody has replied.

CAN'T ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME?

Postby agentcom on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:10 am

That's about the weirdest computer problem that I've ever heard of. Sounds like you've already ruled out what my main suspects would be.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby macbone on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 am

Have you tried Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program? It finds things that don't always show up using AVG.

What you're describing sounds like a virus to me. If you can't get it fixed yourself, you might want to take it into a shop or get a computer-savvy friend to take a look at it.

Here's some advice from Google about dealing with weird pop-ups: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/8091?hl=en
Colonel macbone

Postby bdb on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:03 pm

First thing to do is determine if it is a browser issue.

Try opening CC in another browser (IE or Chrome) and see if it happens.
If it does, there is something on your computer, if not the issue is in
Firefox.

If it looks like it is a Firefox issue, try turning off Grease Monkey and see
if it still happens. If not, then one of your add-in scripts is causing the problem.

If the problem happens in other browsers, try running a browser without any
add-ons and see if it still happens. If not, you have an toolbar or add-on issue.

If it happens in all browsers and versions, then you have something on your computer
that needs to be removed.

Just a few things to try.
The truth shall make ye fret -- Terry Pratchett
Sergeant 1st Class bdb

Postby riskibiz on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Thank you very much bdb for those suggestions. I did exactly what you suggested:

Try opening CC in another browser (IE or Chrome) and see if it happens
- I opened in Explorer and it didn't happen. So it lloks like it is a Firefox issue.

If it looks like it is a Firefox issue, try turning off Grease Monkey and see if it still happens
- i turned off Grease Monkey and it stopped!

So if it is Grease Monkey, how do I stop this from happening, while keeping BOB and other tools going?

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 pm

If you go to grease monkey menu, it will show you all the scripts that are active. Turn them off, one by 1 until you figure out the problem.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby riskibiz on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks so much! The culprit was Turn Watch, which i don't use anyway.

DoomYoshi and bdb deserve medals!

Postby bdb on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:12 am

glad we found the culpit ;)

thanks
The truth shall make ye fret -- Terry Pratchett
Sergeant 1st Class bdb

Return to Conquer Club Discussion