Conquer Club

USA 2.1 [10 Mar 2013] Beta Baby!!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA 2.1 [10 Mar 2013] Beta Baby!!

Postby hopalong on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Gilligan wrote:
hopalong wrote: in game log, could the state be added after the city? as someone who is USA-geographically challenged, it takes quite some time to find which cities were lost.

Yes, I have considered this and have not had the time to do such a big update. I can probably do this next week.

In the meantime you can use map indicators or built in bob :)

i luv it when great minds think alike!

i have never used map indicators, so i will try that out. i did think of bob, though it somehow seems easier (especially if it was just 1 or 2 regions taken), for me to refer to the game log, see the state, and keep scrolling up ... i think i know where most of the states are.

sounds like you are really close to putting this one to bed - congrats!
Major hopalong

Postby Gilligan on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:14 pm

update with state names in territory titles.
Attachments
USA215.xml
(122.42 KiB) Downloaded 924 times
Captain Gilligan

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am

Minor update when I misspelled Winemucca
Attachments
USA218.xml
(122.41 KiB) Downloaded 881 times
Captain Gilligan

Postby ipwnboys on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi - I'm playing a game right now with a number of neutral territories, and the white numbers are almost completely unreadable on the light yellow backgrounds... is there anything that could be done to bump up the contrast? Game number is 13922557, if you'd like to take a look!
Corporal ipwnboys

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:02 pm

ipwnboys wrote:Hi - I'm playing a game right now with a number of neutral territories, and the white numbers are almost completely unreadable on the light yellow backgrounds... is there anything that could be done to bump up the contrast? Game number is 13922557, if you'd like to take a look!

If you turn on the panels, you can change the contrast...other than that, it's the first I've heard of this issue.
Captain Gilligan

Postby ipwnboys on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:21 pm

I tried changing the circle whiteness, or making the map more transparent, but neither made it easier. I'm mostly having trouble differentiating 2s/3s/5s.

If you'd like to take a look, the game is at http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=13922557, but if it's only me who's having trouble maybe I just need to go to the eye doctor :) Thanks for responding!
Corporal ipwnboys

Postby therustyslab on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

LOVE this map. it is a better large map than world 2.1

Ive played many many games on it and this is the first time this has come up. Im in a game now and its important for me to know if Frankfort KY can attack Louisville KY. Kinda hard to tell
Lieutenant therustyslab

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:58 pm

ipwnboys wrote:I tried changing the circle whiteness, or making the map more transparent, but neither made it easier. I'm mostly having trouble differentiating 2s/3s/5s.

If you'd like to take a look, the game is at http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=13922557, but if it's only me who's having trouble maybe I just need to go to the eye doctor :) Thanks for responding!

Sorry just saw this now. I think it's your old eyes! :lol: Really, you're the first person to mention this.
therustyslab wrote:LOVE this map. it is a better large map than world 2.1

Ive played many many games on it and this is the first time this has come up. Im in a game now and its important for me to know if Frankfort KY can attack Louisville KY. Kinda hard to tell

The star and oval are a little close together, but no they don't attack each other.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby therustyslab on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 pm

They're touching
Lieutenant therustyslab

Postby Gilligan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm

therustyslab wrote:They're touching

Touching circles do not indicate borders, the dots and highway indicators do
Captain Gilligan

Postby random21 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 pm

i dont think this map is beta any more.

lets get 'm into the wars!
Field Marshal random21

Postby Whatsausage on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:21 pm

I liked the design of the map and the capital dynamic.

I didn't like how it is sometimes unclear as the what borders something else; I understand it is highways or other dotted lines, but I also keep wanting to think if the bubbles are touching then the territories should too.
Colonel Whatsausage

Postby Overdsky on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 am

luxCRUSADER wrote:I am so LOVING this map :D
God bless you Isaiah :)
Wonderful job !

The same of LUX....i really fall in love with your map...a 8 players map with awsome fun.

The capital were the thing id like the most..the bonus holding state and capital bonus are a good part for loving your map.
I see that many players had problem with bubble touching ??? i havent ...no problem to understand where i can attack ...Its a map that i can plan a good strats and analyse the other players options.

2 things i would like : ((( or i havent appreciate )
- 1 more airport with a different color.i understand that alaska and hawai are far from the main country,so adding another would be strange, i know.
- in rocky mountains only the 25 INTERSTATE can connect NE,SD,ND district.....maybe there is no highway that connect them for real,but there is few acces route to reach those districts/state if you came from south.

hope my english is clear :-(
Major Overdsky

Postby Whatsausage on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Overdsky wrote:
luxCRUSADER wrote:I am so LOVING this map :D
God bless you Isaiah :)
Wonderful job !

The same of LUX....i really fall in love with your map...a 8 players map with awsome fun.

The capital were the thing id like the most..the bonus holding state and capital bonus are a good part for loving your map.
I see that many players had problem with bubble touching ??? i havent ...no problem to understand where i can attack ...Its a map that i can plan a good strats and analyse the other players options.

2 things i would like : ((( or i havent appreciate )
- 1 more airport with a different color.i understand that alaska and hawai are far from the main country,so adding another would be strange, i know.
- in rocky mountains only the 25 INTERSTATE can connect NE,SD,ND district.....maybe there is no highway that connect them for real,but there is few acces route to reach those districts/state if you came from south.

hope my english is clear :-(

Well there is interstate 29 that could be added, but it would only connect Sioux Falls to Sioux City to Omaha. Maybe he could change Aberdeen to Watertown and Devils Lake to Grand Forks and then have it run the rest of the way up. Of course that would change the balance in there, giving ND another border. (Not that anyone is going to hole up in ND and expect to really benefit from just the single border in the long run ;) )
Colonel Whatsausage

Postby esiemer on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am

I LOVE this map and have been playing the Beta and having a good time. I have only read about half of this thread, so I'm sorry if these have been addressed, but a few comments:

1- I live in Hawaii, so when we say "Waimea" out here the first thing most Hawaiians think of is Waimea bay surf spot on Oahu. The second thing we think of is Waimea cowboy town on the Big Island. The third thing we think of is Waimea canyon on Kauai. Nobody really thinks of Waimea town on Kauai. I would humbly suggest you use Lihue for Kauai, as it fits your Hawaiian town theme better (it is a port town with an old harbor just like Honolulu, Hilo and Lahaina).

2- Lahaina's troop oval isn't placed where the town actually is, but I can understand not wanting to move it west as it would cover too much of the smaller islands of Molokai and Lanai. No big deal, just being nitpicky.

3- I kind of liked the interstate bonuses. I know they seem to have been replace with the +2 for every 2 capitals, and that makes perfect sense to me. I was just wondering if we could also have another bonus for holding the whole interstate in each region. For example, a +4 for holding I20 in the Southeast. Or a +1 for holding I25 in the Southwest. This is just a spitball/brainstorm idea, I agree that the map currently works with the Interstate bonuses as they are now, the regional Interstate bonuses would be sort of an homage to the old regional maps (which pale in comparison to this one, btw).

GOOD WORK!
ALOHA,
e
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby jdw35 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Posting for the march challenge. I love how big this map is and the number of bonuses available. I especially like how the gameplay is with the trench setting active.

I do not like how hard it is to read some of the bonus values, as well as how every airport does not connect.
Major jdw35

Postby macbone on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 pm

I can't believe this one's still in Beta. I've been playing on it for a while, and I really like it for quads. It's so open and roomy, with plenty of places to expand into. I like it far better than the individual map packs.

For 1v1, it's a bit too vast, and not really to my tastes. Also, the lack of some connections is weird, although I imagine that's an artifact of the original map packs, and it would be hard to hold any of the bonuses if all the cities were connected. I'm originally from Alabama, and it's weird to me that Tuscaloosa and Tupelo aren't connected, or Montgomery and Atlanta. I've driven on I-85 more than any other interstate in the US, and it's not even on the map. Neither is I-59 heading north from B'ham, but of course only some of the highways are shown.

So like nearly all of our maps, they're not completely accurate geographically in favor of playability, and I'd rather have a fun map to play on than one that has my favorite interstates on it (but at least I-20's depicted). =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Rumondo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:58 pm

This is a great map, it's nice to finally have a playable US map.

I like that some of the airports connect but not all do, the only thing I'd mention is that with a 5 neutral on there that's a heavy price for a territory that doesn't grant me a bonus, especially considering with all the state capitols out there the airports aren't very effective at moving from one side of the country to the other. The state capitols tend to bottle neck because they have 5 neutrals.

I would suggest lowering the airports to 4 or even 3 neutrals, and the map is difficult to read but I understand there's a lot of information. Could you pull Warwick, RI a little to the right I keep thinking it's connected to Hartford, CT and the interstate symbol right there only makes it harder to tell.

Once again great job I know this was a big undertaking!
Private 1st Class Rumondo

Postby timmy1 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:18 am

Response resulting from BetaMarch 2014 (Official Monthly Challenge)

Thing you like about the map
- Great representation of the US with all states and major cities represented. CC needed this.
- Bonuses aren't too easy to obtain from the start, or concentrated in a single area. In fact, I still haven't found a single best starting point. This is important for such a big map with many neutrals.
- Exclusion of impassibles and availability of airports are critical for maps of this size. This gives players free run.
- Everything seems logical and well thought out - starting values, bonus sizes, etc.

Thing you dislike about the map
- There is so much going on that it looks messy at first glance. You have to get to know the map and play it to become comfortable.
Major timmy1

Postby jspessard on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for the beta march challenge. I never gave it much thought but I do shy away from joining beta map games.

I really like the USA 2.1 map now that I've played a few games. I must say I thought it looked a bit cluttered at first, but it has grown on me. I think the Interstate bonuses would be better for holding the entire route. By giving a bonus for every 2 capitols you make it too easy to get that plus a regional bonus for holding capitols. I really like the airports as a jump between regions. This makes holding them/guarding against them a nice strategy consideration.

Thanks!
Cadet jspessard

Postby Melkor52 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 pm

What I like about this map

Everything! I love this map. It's my favorite map on the site. The graphics are simple, but attractive. The bonuses are small but there is a LOT of them for the taking. It has the right number of airports to cause havoc to those who don't realize their strength, but not to many to be the cause of chaos. It's rules and bonus's are easy to understand yet leave plenty of room for strategy. Awesome map! My thanks to whoever created and implemented it.

What I don't like about this map

Nothing really. If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to limit the number of troops per turn that could move from one airport to another. And I'm not even certain I would suggest it. Outside of that, it's perfect, I love it.
Major Melkor52

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the USA 2.1 Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations isaiah40 and gilligan, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Gilligan on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:48 pm

clan wars, here we come!! =D> =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Captain Gilligan

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 pm

WOOHOO!!! Fianlly! LOL!!! :P Thank you Gilligan for your help on this one!! =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40