Conquer Club

13 Colonies Quenched!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 13 Colonies Quenched!

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 am

I think I originally had a line pointing to both pieces actually.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

i'm playing this for the first time and i'm baffled at how poor the bonuses are.
it's completely imbalanced and makes the drop the most important aspect of the game.

you have several colonies with just 1 terit that can be taken and guarded from round 1 if the drop allows you so, while you have other colonies with 4 terits. and the worst fact is that those 1 terit colonies are even grouped close.

in a 1v1 game if somebody gets a good drop in the top half of the map, then he's a sure winner.
and that would not be much of a problem since many maps are imbalanced in 1v1 but this imbalance is very visible even in 6p games.

i'm in a 6p game where most of my terits are in the north/south carolina and georgia colonies. my main force is far away from the attractive connecticut or rhode island so i'm at a big disadvantage. basically somebody could get 2 terits and hold them for a +3 while i'm in a zone where in order to get the same bonus i have to get 6-7 terits with 3-4 borders.

i don;t know if this has been addressed before as i haven't read all 39 pages but it is definitely a big problem and i think the most important indicator that this map has a poor gameplay is the 12k games in almost 2 years. it's one of the least played maps and i think the imbalanced gameplay is the main reason.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 am

go for the georgia bonus or
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am

Industrial Helix wrote:go for the georgia bonus or

or what? :shock:

how is this gonna fix the gameplay?

of course i'm gonna go for the georgia bonus in my game but that's not going to change anything. assuming i manage to get that bonus i'd have 6 terits with 3 borders to defend for a +3, with a very limited range of options to expand.

while another player can get connecticut and rhode island for the same bonus as me but he'll only have 2 terits and 2 borders to defend. not to mention getting those 2 terits will mean a much lower cost in troops. basically with a good drop somebody could get that bonus in round 2 or even round 1 and even have enough troops to fort it, while a player in the lower part of the map will have to spend many turns battling until he/she manages to get georgia and south carolina.

also the ship bonuses are absurd. 2 british ships + 2 landing terits give you +2. so that's 4 terits and 3 borders for +2.
let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.
in what world are those bonuses balanced?

so not only does the northern part of the map provide smaller 1-2 terit colonies that are easier to get and hold but the ships in that region also provide a much better bonus while the southern part of the map has larger harder to hold colonies and an impossible ship bonus.
you might as well call this "The Lucky Drop" map because whoever gets a good drop in the north is a sure winner.

the more i look at this map the more i realise how poor the gameplay is.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby iancanton on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 am

DiM wrote:let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.

1 french ship plus the whole of its adjacent colony gives +2: tybee roads plus georgia has 4 regions and 2 borders.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:45 am

iancanton wrote:
DiM wrote:let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.

1 french ship plus the whole of its adjacent colony gives +2: tybee roads plus georgia has 4 regions and 2 borders.

ian. :)

got it. my bad.
but still my point about the colonies still stands.
it's inadmissible to give the same bonus for 2 terits with 2 borders or for 7 terits with 4 borders.
Major DiM

Postby steel24 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Not sure if this has been brought up, but in North Carolina it`s Guilford not Guildford.
Major steel24

Postby babiscus on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm playing this map currently. I don't understand how to avoid to be killed by the indian neutral. Please answer to me with an easy english (i'm french ;))
Major babiscus

Postby IcePack on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:17 pm

babiscus wrote:I'm playing this map currently. I don't understand how to avoid to be killed by the indian neutral. Please answer to me with an easy english (i'm french ;))

They are for passing through. Use as a short cut but do not stay on their location as they reset each round.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby gigi_b on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:16 am

HI guys!

I need a bit of help with the gameplay on this map.
The url is the screenshot of the current standing. What I don't understand is why am I awarded the bonus for just 2 colonies when in fact it seems to me I control 3 (Massachusetts, N Hampshire and N Jersey).
Right before this turn I was controlling Mass. and N. Hamp and I haven't received any bonuses for these 2.

http://prntscr.com/5py2ly

Thanks!
Cadet gigi_b

Postby Swifte on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 am

This is a common confusion on this map. The bonus region "Massachusetts" is made up for 4 territories: Massachusetts Bay, Castine, Bunker Hill, and Cape Cod. So, you did not receive the bonus before because you did not hold all of Massachusetts, and now you are getting credit for 2 colonies (NH and NJ) because you still don't have Cape Cod.

The mini-map is a little confusing on this, but the word Massachusetts is written over Bunker Hill and Cape Cod (what we know today as Massachusetts), and the line is pointing up to let you know that Massachusetts Bay and Castine (what we now know as Maine) are also included in this bonus.
Colonel Swifte

Postby sm8900 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 am

could you please look at my game on this map, game number 19396536? why doesn't the map show me as owning massachusetts? I know there's no bonus for owning just one colony, but the map tab doesn't show me as owning it at all. could you please clarify? thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby sm8900 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:18 am

Swifte wrote:This is a common confusion on this map. The bonus region "Massachusetts" is made up for 4 territories: Massachusetts Bay, Castine, Bunker Hill, and Cape Cod. So, you did not receive the bonus before because you did not hold all of Massachusetts, and now you are getting credit for 2 colonies (NH and NJ) because you still don't have Cape Cod.

The mini-map is a little confusing on this, but the word Massachusetts is written over Bunker Hill and Cape Cod (what we know today as Massachusetts), and the line is pointing up to let you know that Massachusetts Bay and Castine (what we now know as Maine) are also included in this bonus.

okay, but actually, I have a question. I do own all those territories. the map tab still doesn't show me as owning Massachusetts! I appreciate any help. thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 pm

sm8900 wrote:
Swifte wrote:This is a common confusion on this map. The bonus region "Massachusetts" is made up for 4 territories: Massachusetts Bay, Castine, Bunker Hill, and Cape Cod. So, you did not receive the bonus before because you did not hold all of Massachusetts, and now you are getting credit for 2 colonies (NH and NJ) because you still don't have Cape Cod.

okay, but actually, I have a question. I do own all those territories. the map tab still doesn't show me as owning Massachusetts! I appreciate any help. thanks.

Would be helpful to provide a game number and/or a screenshot.

I looked through your current active games, didn't see any on that map.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
sm8900 wrote:

Would be helpful to provide a game number and/or a screenshot.

I looked through your current active games, didn't see any on that map.

Assuming he meant Game 19396536

Did you own any other Colonies outside of Massachusetts? Because you have to own 2 to get the bonus of 3 troops. I looked through the log and didn't really see any other colony you might have owned to own a bonus.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Doc_Brown on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm

He never controlled all 4 Massachusetts territories in that game at the beginning of a turn:
Round 1:
2019-10-07 08:03:55 - sm8900 assaulted Massachusetts Bay from Castine and conquered it from neutral player

Round 2:
2019-10-07 08:12:34 - sm8900 assaulted Cape Cod from Boston and conquered it from neutral player
2019-10-07 08:12:58 - sm8900 reinforced Cape Cod with 2 troops from Bunker Hill
(He controls all 4 Massachusetts territories at this time, but...)
2019-10-07 08:16:42 - sbbonk assaulted Cape Cod from Exeter and conquered it from sm8900

And he never retakes Cape Cod. So there was a 4 minute window where he held Massachusetts. Only 7 colonies were ever completely held by any player in that game, and based on the assaults listed in the log, it was not possible for sm8900 to have held any other colony at the same time as Massachusetts.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Previous

Return to The Atlas