Conquer Club

Conquer Club Olympics - Rio Edition

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Olympics - Rio Edition

Postby IcePack on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 am

ooge wrote:CC Olympics - Opening Ceremonies I do not think I have a participation ribbon for this.I dont have any ribbons and I doubt it will matter as I am stinking the games up.but someone else mentioned not getting a ribbon.

I have this 1x Challenge Participation Ribbon - Jan. maybe this is blocking ribbons for this event?

They get handed out when the event completes

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby ooge on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:53 pm

IcePack wrote:
ooge wrote:CC Olympics - Opening Ceremonies I do not think I have a participation ribbon for this.I dont have any ribbons and I doubt it will matter as I am stinking the games up.but someone else mentioned not getting a ribbon.

I have this 1x Challenge Participation Ribbon - Jan. maybe this is blocking ribbons for this event?

They get handed out when the event completes

Thanks for the info
Captain ooge

Postby josko.ri on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:05 am

It seems like both Waggle dancing tournaments froze after round 1 without getting final game ready for Round 2.

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?m ... nt_id=4526
http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?m ... nt_id=4530
Major josko.ri

Postby dkmaster on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Is there a special reason why you can only win silver and bronze in Oxen Jousting ?

And not gold, silver and bronze like in the other tournaments with 16 players ?
Colonel dkmaster

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:39 am

DK. Why are you not carrying Mystica to the top?
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby dkmaster on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:55 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:DK. Why are you not carrying Mystica to the top?

Sorry Wing. Last year I only joined Mystica, just before the Olympic, to be able to play in all the tournaments.
And it turned out to be a great idea, as I was able to take down the overall individual title.

After the Olympic I switced to a clan ( TOP ) to be able to compete in the clan leagues as well 8-)

But with the luck I got this year, here in the Olympic, I wouldnt have helped you much anyway :D
Colonel dkmaster

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 am

dkmaster wrote:
WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:DK. Why are you not carrying Mystica to the top?

Sorry Wing. Last year I only joined Mystica, just before the Olympic, to be able to play in all the tournaments.
And it turned out to be a great idea, as I was able to take down the overall individual title.

After the Olympic I switced to a clan ( TOP ) to be able to compete in the clan leagues as well 8-)

But with the luck I got this year, here in the Olympic, I wouldnt have helped you much anyway :D

Dead to me
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby IcePack on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:32 am

Mystica didn't reach the top last year either ;)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby josko.ri on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:10 am

dkmaster wrote:Is there a special reason why you can only win silver and bronze in Oxen Jousting ?

And not gold, silver and bronze like in the other tournaments with 16 players ?

I am also interested in this question.

I can see the format is copied from last year when the tournament was speed and consisted of 8 players.
However, this year the tournament is not speed and consists of 16 players, so awards should be given proportionally like in the other tournaments with 16 players, with gold for first place, silver for second and then bronze for 3,4.
Major josko.ri

Postby IcePack on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:08 am

I ended up getting a pm on this, but I don't run the event. However I brought duka in to help answer and the response was:

Dukasaur wrote:We tried to give more medals for harder tournaments, but there's no exact formula. We basically formed a subjective opinion, based on
  • the total number of games
  • the number of players
  • the difficulty of the map, and
  • the difficulty of the settings.
Oxen jousting does, as you say, have 16 players, but it's a well-known map and relatively common settings so it was probably easier than some of the tourneys on Random map or the Hive or some other tough ones.

It doesn't help that we're mixing events from three editions now. The original events (dating back to the 2014 Olympics) were written by DoomYoshi. In 2015 the new events added were written by bigWham. In 2016 the latest events were written by me.

I would like to get to some kind of empirical formula to give an objective number for the difficulty of a tournament, but obviously it's too late to do that for this year's event. We'll definitely have a look at that we we start thinking about the 2017 edition.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby djelebert on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:50 am

just to highlight a problem in Mini Flonkerton.
3 rounds, no elimination. So why in 3rd round scores reset? 1st and 2nd round are just training?

There is a tournament already round 3 : https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php? ... nt_id=4554
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby shoop76 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 pm

djelebert wrote:just to highlight a problem in Mini Flonkerton.
3 rounds, no elimination. So why in 3rd round scores reset? 1st and 2nd round are just training?

There is a tournament already round 3 : https://www.conquerclub.com/player.php? ... nt_id=4554

Same here. 1st round doesn't count.

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=4492
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:18 pm

shoop76 wrote:
djelebert wrote:just to highlight a problem in Mini Flonkerton.

Same here. 1st round doesn't count.

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?mode=autotournament&tournament_id=4492

Yeah, this is a bit of an imperfect solution to a couple of intractable problems.

Last year a lot of people complained about 1v1 tourneys not being brackets (ie. no score reset between rounds.) This year, I had BW change everything so that all things that look like brackets actually were brackets. (Meaning that all head-to-head competitions like 1v1 and Polys had score resets every round.)

Then, this year, after the Olympics had already started, we found out that the Tribal algorithm can't handle eliminations, so BW had to take the eliminations out of those. Probably should have taken out the score resets at the same time, but neither of us thought of it. So, we ended up with a lot of tribal tournaments that have head-to-head matchups, no eliminations, and score resets. They are the bastard children of tournaments that were once pseudo-brackets but are not brackets at all now.

Last night all the remaining score resets were removed from those. However, doing it retroactively would probably result in more wrongs than it would fix, so it's not retroactive. In any of these Tribal tourneys with head-to-head matchups, score resets that already took place will stand, but score resets that haven't happened yet have been removed.

It's not a perfect fix, but best we could come up with given the rather chaotic way these Olympics have evolved.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby josko.ri on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:38 am

I was searching for answer but could not find it.

Which is tie breaker criteria for the case that two or more players finish with the same number of points?
Major josko.ri

Postby IcePack on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:32 pm

I assume since it uses the automation system, its follows the auto touranament scoring / tie breaker procedures:

https://www.conquerclub.com/public.php? ... urnaments5

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:27 pm

IcePack wrote:I assume since it uses the automation system, its follows the auto touranament scoring / tie breaker procedures:

https://www.conquerclub.com/public.php? ... urnaments5

That's okay for the individual tournaments, but none of those really apply to the overall scoreboard.

Will give it some thought.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby dkmaster on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:34 am

Looking at rl Olympics they always place gold higher than silver etc. So having 1 gold gives you a higher placement at the scoreboard than having 7 silver or more.

We could adapt that system if anyone ends up with the same number of points at our scoreboard.

Ofcourse we keep getting 1,3 5 and 10 points for medals, but in case of even points the one with the highest number of platin etc get the highest placement at the scoreboard.

If those numbers are even as well I am not sure, but at least that wont happen this year for our two top opponents
Colonel dkmaster

Postby josko.ri on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:51 am

We can also look at Tournament structures in CC. They credit more wins as better, that is actually the first tie breaker criteria in every CC tournament. That said, "a win" in terms of CC tournaments is equal like "a medal" in terms of the Olympic tournament. That said, who wins more total medals should win the tie breaker.

To further support this, I think it is harder to win more medals at all than to win more platinum medals because it means you need to be constantly playing on high level on many various settings and earn medals on every of them. Winning more platinum medals may be that you are just better on the particular settings in the tournaments which offered platinum medals, while winning more medals overall means you played better in overall.

Question is should we follow the real Olympics criterium, as dkmaster is suggesting, or should we follow CC tournaments tie breaker criterium, as I am suggesting. I am ok with both decisions, just wanting clarification, as it is possible that two of us cross the finish line together.
Major josko.ri

Postby shoop76 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Wht can't we just have a tie. If there were no rules made from the beginning, it seems unfair to make one up at this point.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:35 pm

shoop76 wrote:Wht can't we just have a tie. If there were no rules made from the beginning, it seems unfair to make one up at this point.

Yeah, I have talked to BW about this and we will allow ties to exist. There's no point creating an unforeseen tiebreaker when nobody predicted the possibility. It will only leave one person pissed off, or the other. Ties will stand as ties. Both will get the designated prize.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby dkmaster on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
shoop76 wrote:Wht can't we just have a tie. If there were no rules made from the beginning, it seems unfair to make one up at this point.

Yeah, I have talked to BW about this and we will allow ties to exist. There's no point creating an unforeseen tiebreaker when nobody predicted the possibility. It will only leave one person pissed off, or the other. Ties will stand as ties. Both will get the designated prize.

Sounds like a very decent decision =D>

Its a long and hard tournament, with a huge game count if you play all the tournaments. So would ofcourse be a pity to loose to a new rule this late :shock:
Colonel dkmaster

Postby josko.ri on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 am

Dukasaur wrote:

Thanks a lot. Very fair solution to this question =D>

I have another question. I see there is GA medal for scoring 11 points and CA medal for scoring 30 points. Will players who scored more than 30 receive both medals, as they qualified for both criteria?
Major josko.ri

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives