Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 am

I think that makes a fine bookend to this line of argument. We done here? I'll probably reply if people want to continue the discussion. For me, the argument is complete. It was an important issue for me, and shouldn't really have detracted so much from the rest of the competition.

I'm a sucker for debate though.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:06 am

Symmetry wrote:I think that makes a fine bookend to this line of argument. We done here? I'll probably reply if people want to continue the discussion. For me, the argument is complete. It was an important issue for me, and shouldn't really have detracted so much from the rest of the competition.

Symmetry, how about you create a tournament so we can all have a laugh? You wouldn't even manage to make a propper OP, needless to say you'd never manage to get it running and even less would you be able to make the follow up.
You're basically just a little parasite, with just one ability.. criticize other people's work and good intentions.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:07 am

betiko wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I think that makes a fine bookend to this line of argument. We done here? I'll probably reply if people want to continue the discussion. For me, the argument is complete. It was an important issue for me, and shouldn't really have detracted so much from the rest of the competition.

Symmetry, how about you create a tournament so we can all have a laugh? You wouldn't even manage to make a propper OP, needless to say you'd never manage to get it running and even less would you be able to make the follow up.
You're basically just a little parasite, with just one ability.. criticize other people's work and good intentions.

I'm a sucker for debating, not for baiting, jackass.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Silly Knig-it on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Symmetrical or asymmetrical jackass?
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Out of curiosity, when do you plan to start issuing zepplin tokens?
Brigadier mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Eighth quarter archive

show: Sheikh Saad

show: battle of the wadi

show: Battle of Hanna

back to main index
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:18 pm

A freemium-friendly Great War tournament starts tomorrow.
show: fifth isonzo
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:09 am

Ninth Quarter Archive

show: Le Mort-Homme

show: Dujaila

show: fifth isonzo

back to main index
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:17 am

Lake Naroch begins later today.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby robellis00 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Hey, I don't want to make more work for somebody, but isn't it about time we got some new maps for the token criteria? Sept 2014 was a long time ago, the last time new maps were approved. Here are some of my suggestions. Baltic States, Duck and Cover, Europa, Knights, Macedonia, Seige!, Steamworks, WWI Ottoman Empire, Yugoslavia.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Lieutenant robellis00

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Coming soon, Tragedy at Kut. See the tourney list for details.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Man from Modesto on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:32 am

If you study enough history, you will easily observe: Never surrender to a violent people, esp. to Eastern armies of Muslims or Asians. They kill most of their prisoners. Surrender to the Americans or Europeans, sure. Expect fair treatment and good food. Surrender to Japan? (Bataan). Surrender to Muslim armies (sex slaves, castration, amputation, man-rape, enslavement... see the history of Islam from Mohammed, a caravan raider, to today.)

Better to fight to the last man, even if you have to throw stones, use clever strategies and every resource available- do NOT surrender.
Major Man from Modesto

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 am

-------This is a World War I thread........Ironically...Even though the Japanese culture looked down on surrender... The Japanese in World War I were known for their good treatment of P.O.W.s...World War II turned everyone into monsters... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 pm

So, we're now almost a full year behind. A lot of the tournament writers that were helping in the beginning have dropped out, and I just can't keep up with it. Here's a list of tournaments that should have launched in the last eleven months but didn't because I couldn't keep up with writing them. If anyone wants to take a stab at any of them, that would be great. Don't worry that you don't know how to code the autotournaments; I can take care of that. I just need the composition.

• Asiago (battle fought 15th of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 15th of May, 2016)
  • Trentino (battle fought 15th of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 15th of May, 2016)
  • Jutland (battle fought 31st of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 31st of May, 2016)
  • Lutsk (battle fought 4th of June, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 4th of June, 2016)
  • Khanaquin (battle fought 4th of June, 1916, therefore the corresponding {etc., etc., I think you get the pattern.})
  • First Day of the Battle of the Somme, July 1st, 1916
  • Bazentin Ridge, July 14th, 1916
  • Delville Wood, July 15th, 1916
  • Battle of PoziĆØres, July 23rd, 1916
  • Romani, August 3rd, 1916
  • Sixth Battle of the Isonzo, August 6th, 1916
  • Gorizia, August 6th, 1916
  • Battle of Guillemont, Sept 3rd
  • Seventh Battle of the Isonzo, Sept 14th
  • Battle of Flers-Courcelette, Sept 15th
  • Eighth Isonzo, October 8th, 1916
  • Ninth Isonzo, November 1st
  • Maghdaba, December 14th
  • Second Kut, Dec. 15th
  • Opening 1917, the small but exciting Battle of Khadairi Bend, January 9th, 1917
  • Battle of Nahr-al-Kalek, February 26th, 1917
  • Fall of Baghdad, March 11th, 1917
  • Samarrah, March 13th
  • Fallujah, March 19th
  • Jebel Hamrin, March 25
  • First Gaza, March 26h
If any of the above makes your short list of "most fascinating battles of World War I", you could consider writing a tournament about it.

show: how to write a GREAT WAR tourney
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 am

Dukasaur wrote:So, we're now almost a full year behind. A lot of the tournament writers that were helping in the beginning have dropped out, and I just can't keep up with it. Here's a list of tournaments that should have launched in the last eleven months but didn't because I couldn't keep up with writing them. If anyone wants to take a stab at any of them, that would be great. Don't worry that you don't know how to code the autotournaments; I can take care of that. I just need the composition.

• Asiago (battle fought 15th of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 15th of May, 2016)
  • Trentino (battle fought 15th of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 15th of May, 2016)
  • Jutland (battle fought 31st of May, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 31st of May, 2016)
  • Lutsk (battle fought 4th of June, 1916, therefore the corresponding tournament should have launched 4th of June, 2016)
  • Khanaquin (battle fought 4th of June, 1916, therefore the corresponding {etc., etc., I think you get the pattern.})
  • Second Kut, Dec. 15th
  • Opening 1917, the small but exciting Battle of Khadairi Bend, January 9th, 1917
  • Samarrah, March 13th
  • Fallujah, March 19th
  • Jebel Hamrin, March 25
  • First Gaza, March 26h
If any of the above makes your short list of "most fascinating battles of World War I", you could consider writing a tournament about it.

-------You really want to make up 2016 that flew by?
-------Outside of the 3 wonderful research sites you list, would you mind if I used books in my study?
-------Give me a week to look things over...I might be able to throw some time your way... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D.....I know, I'm probably one of the last people you would expect to bring the cavalry to the rescue...I speak out because I love Conquer Club...All most of us want...For the High Command to hear us...To better the site...:)......How many people knew Japan was known for great treatment of it's P.O.W.'s in WWI?...Might need some Japan maps in TGW marathon...:)
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:So, we're now almost a full year behind. A lot of the tournament writers that were helping in the beginning have dropped out, and I just can't keep up with it. Here's a list of tournaments that should have launched in the last eleven months but didn't because I couldn't keep up with writing them. If anyone wants to take a stab at any of them, that would be great. Don't worry that you don't know how to code the autotournaments; I can take care of that. I just need the composition.

• Second Kut, Dec. 15th
  • Samarrah, March 13th
  • Fallujah, March 19th
  • Jebel Hamrin, March 25
  • First Gaza, March 26h

-------You really want to make up 2016 that flew by?
-------Outside of the 3 wonderful research sites you list, would you mind if I used books in my study?
-------Give me a week to look things over...I might be able to throw some time your way... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D.....I know, I'm probably one of the last people you would expect to bring the cavalry to the rescue...I speak out because I love Conquer Club...All most of us want...For the High Command to hear us...To better the site...:)......How many people knew Japan was known for great treatment of it's P.O.W.'s in WWI?...Might need some Japan maps in TGW marathon...:)

Props to you for stepping up Confed!!!
Brigadier mookiemcgee

Postby gigi_b on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 pm

I was actually thinking about how this tournament progresses after checking the scoreboard and then the lists of tournaments broken down into quarters.
The event has greatly reduced in speed of creation of tournaments while expanded in complexity for the latter tourneys issued. This said it is virtually impossible to make any significant improvements of one's related score because it became harder to win (it takes a lot longer) and there are also fewer tourneys to get into. The guys that entered right from the start and won have their positions secured.

That's some general view of the current state of events.

Now regarding your post requiring help I've actually thought about participating in organizing or at least making some suggestion about the Eastern Front, more precisely the Romanian participation of which I know a thing or two. Was actually wondering how come the Eastern front didn't get into this event since we seem to be covering some engagements that aren't so widely known. I mean everyone with some general idea about WWI history knows about Verdun, Marne, the Somme or Gallipoli, but - at least for me - I've actually learned for the first time about Kut, Hanna, Wadi or Loos and much more.
And I've also discovered a wikipedia article, more precisely this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... _I_battles which seems to be the precise timeline of the Great War event in here.

There are 2 things that come to my mind: the list is both incomplete in main events of the WWI (I mentioned Romania's participation, but also the Brusilov offensive for example and might be more) and it's also too thorough to be covered in a casual scenario like with tourneys of CC.
And especially with the current lack of momentum, I guess it would be worth to change the approach a bit.

As I wrote in the first paragraph, I believe the issue about "competition" and scoreboard is settled...:) Now maybe it would worth to change the approach and to keep making fewer tourneys but with a wider cover with respect to WWI events (just like the later tournaments in the event). So instead of making another 5 tourneys for the Isonzos, maybe make a more elaborate tourney about "War in Italy and austrian Alps in late1916-beginning of 1917" or something of the sorts.
Or, in terms of relative articles that serve as starting point, maybe use the more generic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I and go into later details if it need to.

That being said I can offer my help, but I'd rather cover some aspects of significance....in the sense that even though that some engagement between 2 british gunboats and 3 turkish monitors somewhere on the Tigris at the beginning of 1917 most likely was a significant event for that time and for the participants, now 100 years away I guess it would really worth if we can go through the more general scene of the events.
Cadet gigi_b

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 am

Coming soon....

A new Great War tourney from xroads
show: Jutland

.... and a new Great War tourney from ConfederateSS
show: Asiago
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks folks, we need as much as possible help to get this event moving forward, should be tough to come back on track soon but seeing 2 new add'on are going out shows us there is helpers there....need more :)
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Coming soon....

A new Great War tourney from xroads
show: Jutland

.... and a new Great War tourney from ConfederateSS
show: Asiago

Thank you Confed and X-roads! Mookie like autotourneys, and mookie need to catch up to silly Shoop and Ukey.
Brigadier mookiemcgee

Postby jfm10 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Game 17343173 should I have won a token for this?
Corporal jfm10

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

It's crazy to think this has already been going for three years.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:40 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:It's crazy to think this has already been going for three years.

I believe a lot of people were making that same comment one hundred years ago about the real deal.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 pm

The second Trentino tourney is ready to launch.

Meanwhile, we have something new from ConfederateSS, the Battle of Khanaquin:

ConfederateSS wrote:--------Tournament of The Battle of Khanaqin-------
----1/7...NO TRENCH..........16 Player Tournament---
--------------Wayward Day's Diary: June 4th,1916
-----My third travel in this Great War has brought me to the center of the Sun. Well the Middle East. It appears I am a German soldier who is traveling with the Turkish 6th army. Our commander is Lt.Col. Ali Ishan Bey. We have been sent to stop the Russians under the command of General Baratov. From taking the city of Khanaqin. It is the only massive battle fought between the Russian and Ottoman Empires on the Mesopotamian front. My guess there would have been more. But when the Bolsheviks took power in Russia. They took Russia out of The Great War.
-----Anyway the battle went totally in favor of the Turks. Ishan was able to stop Baratov's advance in the area. The Turks chased the Russians out of Mesopotamia. However, there is news of an Arab revolt. Have to see if it amounts to anything.

Round 1:(maps--because of Mesopotamia)
--The Russians attacked the town of Khanaqin head on. But the Turkish unit led by Sevket Bey held onto the death. The Russians fled.
16 start and 16 move on. Maps:Battle for Iraq,Ziggurat,4-4 player games,2 on Battle for Iraq,2 on Ziggurat,Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 2:(maps--Ishan-born in Istanbul,Genocide,looks Arabic)
--Ali Ishan Bey is widely known for his part in the Armenian Genocide. He was born in Constantinople before the Turks changed the name to Istanbul.
16 start and 8 move on. Maps:Classic Cities:Istanbul,Das Schloss,Thyseneal,2-8 players play,2 on C.C.:Istanbul,2 on Das Schloss,2 on Thyseneal,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 3:(map--because of Mesopotamia)
--The only massive clash between The Ottoman and Russian Empires in the Mesopotamian front.
8 start and 8 move on. Map:Gilgamesh,2-4 players play,7 games,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 4:(maps--because of The Ottoman Empire)
--Lands taken and owned and attacked by the West of The Ottoman Empire"the sick man of Europe".
8 start and 6 move on.Maps:WWII Ottaman Empire,Third Crusade,2-4 players play,2 on WWII Ottaman Empire,2 on Third Crusade,Assassin,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 5:(map--Oasis--hot as the Sun)
--The horrible heat led to many desertions and death.
6 start and 4 move on.Map:Oasis,6 players play,3 games,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,(Nuclear,Zombie),Chained,Fog(sand storm),30 rounds.

Round 6:(map--Soviet Union--Russia/Bolsheviks)
--The Bolsheviks take control of Russia. They take Russia out of World War I.
4 start and 2 move on.Map:Soviet Union,4 players play,5 games,Assassin,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 7:(map--because Arab Revolt--Middle East)
--After chasing away the Russians. The Turks had to deal with"The Great Arab Rising" or The Arab Revolt.
2 start ,Map:Middle East,1-vs-1,9 games,Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog(sand storm),30 rounds.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:04 am

Dukasaur wrote:The second Trentino tourney is ready to launch.

Meanwhile, we have something new from ConfederateSS, the Battle of Khanaquin:

ConfederateSS wrote:--------Tournament of The Battle of Khanaqin-------
----1/7...NO TRENCH..........16 Player Tournament---
--------------Wayward Day's Diary: June 4th,1916
-----My third travel in this Great War has brought me to the center of the Sun. Well the Middle East. It appears I am a German soldier who is traveling with the Turkish 6th army. Our commander is Lt.Col. Ali Ishan Bey. We have been sent to stop the Russians under the command of General Baratov. From taking the city of Khanaqin. It is the only massive battle fought between the Russian and Ottoman Empires on the Mesopotamian front. My guess there would have been more. But when the Bolsheviks took power in Russia. They took Russia out of The Great War.
-----Anyway the battle went totally in favor of the Turks. Ishan was able to stop Baratov's advance in the area. The Turks chased the Russians out of Mesopotamia. However, there is news of an Arab revolt. Have to see if it amounts to anything.

Round 1:(maps--because of Mesopotamia)
--The Russians attacked the town of Khanaqin head on. But the Turkish unit led by Sevket Bey held onto the death. The Russians fled.
16 start and 16 move on. Maps:Battle for Iraq,Ziggurat,4-4 player games,2 on Battle for Iraq,2 on Ziggurat,Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 2:(maps--Ishan-born in Istanbul,Genocide,looks Arabic)
--Ali Ishan Bey is widely known for his part in the Armenian Genocide. He was born in Constantinople before the Turks changed the name to Istanbul.
16 start and 8 move on. Maps:Classic Cities:Istanbul,Das Schloss,Thyseneal,2-8 players play,2 on C.C.:Istanbul,2 on Das Schloss,2 on Thyseneal,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 3:(map--because of Mesopotamia)
--The only massive clash between The Ottoman and Russian Empires in the Mesopotamian front.
8 start and 8 move on. Map:Gilgamesh,2-4 players play,7 games,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 4:(maps--because of The Ottoman Empire)
--Lands taken and owned and attacked by the West of The Ottoman Empire"the sick man of Europe".
8 start and 6 move on.Maps:WWII Ottaman Empire,Third Crusade,2-4 players play,2 on WWII Ottaman Empire,2 on Third Crusade,Assassin,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 5:(map--Oasis--hot as the Sun)
--The horrible heat led to many desertions and death.
6 start and 4 move on.Map:Oasis,6 players play,3 games,Terminator,Auto,Sequential,(Nuclear,Zombie),Chained,Fog(sand storm),30 rounds.

Round 6:(map--Soviet Union--Russia/Bolsheviks)
--The Bolsheviks take control of Russia. They take Russia out of World War I.
4 start and 2 move on.Map:Soviet Union,4 players play,5 games,Assassin,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,(Unlimited,Chained),30 rounds.

Round 7:(map--because Arab Revolt--Middle East)
--After chasing away the Russians. The Turks had to deal with"The Great Arab Rising" or The Arab Revolt.
2 start ,Map:Middle East,1-vs-1,9 games,Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog(sand storm),30 rounds.

-----Yes,I know, I forgot the "u" in Khanaquin. I told Duk not to fix it. I am going to give Wayward Day, and everyone else a little fact about perfection. Since this battle takes place in Persia.
-----The great rug makers of Old Persia. Would make these huge awesome rugs. Perfect until the last stitch. Yes they themselves would screw up the last stitch on purpose. Why? Because they believed the only thing in the world that was perfect. IS GOD. So for them to make a perfect rug would be an insult to God. I think a lot of know it all, nit pickers on this site. Could learn a valuable lesson from the Ancient Persians. :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives