Conquer Club

The Hobbit Mafia [Town win]

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who is the MVP for this game? (3500 credit prize)

Poll ended at Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 am

Pikanchion
11%
Samlen
No votes
FloresDelMal TheForgivenOne
No votes
ZaBeast
28%
Minister Masket
6%
Iron Butterfly Icepack [color=#0040FF]Bilbo Baggins
6%
dakky21
6%
DirtyDishSoap
6%
skoffin
No votes
BuJaber
No votes
Ragian
11%
HotShot53
6%
nickthesticks Kamikaze Jawa
No votes
madmitch
6%
MudPuppy
17%

Total votes : 18

Re: [OFFICIAL] The Hobbit Mafia [Day 1 - Good morning to be

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 am

HotShot53 wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:I confirm that I read and basically understand my game role.

Sounds like he's playing the newbie card again, must mean he's scum again vote thorthoth

Okay... wait a minute. I screwed up.
BuJaber only took one shot at me. Hotshot took the other shot... It's hard keeping everybody straight...

Since it was now just a single shot, and since this is the 'joke' round....

Unvote BuJaber

@ HotShot53, I am NOT playing a 'newbie card'. Any newbiness on my part is unintentional.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Re: [OFFICIAL] The Hobbit Mafia [D1- Good morning to be good

Postby Ragian on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am

Dakky had loads on you last game.
Captain Ragian

Postby FloresDelMal on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

Pikanchion wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:
Pikanchion wrote:Look at Skoffin's profile picture and tell me that's not Gollum!

Vote: Skoffin

FOS Pika

Gollum can't die, cause then who will destroy the Ring?

Oh uhh....spoiler alert.

FOS Minister Masket

If Gollum dies he can't be tortured to reveal the location of Bilbo and The Ring to Sauron, thus preventing the Ring Wraiths their ability to give chase to the Hobbits prior to them forming The Fellowship. This would prevent Frodo from being stabbed by one of their blades and potentially prevent The Fellowship being broken up during Boromir's attempt to seize The Ring for himself as the probability of Orc attack at that time would be somewhat reduced. Whether this would have a negative consequence on the ability to fend off Saruman is a matter of some debate due to Merry and Pippin only meeting the Ents after their capture during the Boromir incident, however Gandalf seems knowledgable about the Ents and may have enlisted their help himself if not for the Hobbits. Without these setbacks Frodo would have carried The Ring for considerably less time, reducing its hold over him and preventing the need for Gollum to wrest it from Frodo's hand at Mount Doom.

Oh, and... spoiler alert.

i agree with this line of thinking, plus i think gollum could fit the bill as an SK and therefor it could be adventageous to us to get rid of him as soon as possible, even thought is just a joke to point out skoff as gollum just because her avatar is a bit strange, the stance of MM of protecting whoever might be gollum advocating its unintentionally protown part on the dismiss of the one ring kinda fishy, and since i have nothing better going on atm ill just go ahead and[color=#008000] Vote MM[/color]

oh btw sorry for the dely to confirm, ga7 just told me the game had started
Sergeant 1st Class FloresDelMal

Postby Samlen on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 pm

ZaBeast wrote:There's not enough posts from him to actually know, but he seems confused himself, he made two posts about Gollum, including one explaining why he is important using the Lord of the Rings story. (Talking about Gollum, I don't remember seeing him much in the Hobbit (at least the movie). If it was a Lord of the Rings mafia, of course he'd be there but I'm not so sure about this one.)

Gollum's the whole reason bilbo got the ring in the hobbit. While not as central as he was in lord of the rings, he is st ill a key character.
Lieutenant Samlen

Postby Pikanchion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Is anybody playing more than one character?
Private Pikanchion

Postby Minister Masket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Pikanchion wrote:Is anybody playing more than one character?

I am. I'm a schizophrenic.

Pikanchion wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:
FOS Pika

Oh uhh....spoiler alert.

FOS Minister Masket

If Gollum dies he can't be tortured to reveal the location of Bilbo and The Ring to Sauron, thus preventing the Ring Wraiths their ability to give chase to the Hobbits prior to them forming The Fellowship. This would prevent Frodo from being stabbed by one of their blades and potentially prevent The Fellowship being broken up during Boromir's attempt to seize The Ring for himself as the probability of Orc attack at that time would be somewhat reduced. Whether this would have a negative consequence on the ability to fend off Saruman is a matter of some debate due to Merry and Pippin only meeting the Ents after their capture during the Boromir incident, however Gandalf seems knowledgable about the Ents and may have enlisted their help himself if not for the Hobbits. Without these setbacks Frodo would have carried The Ring for considerably less time, reducing its hold over him and preventing the need for Gollum to wrest it from Frodo's hand at Mount Doom.

The timing of everything leading up til the Uruk (not Orc ;) ) attack would've likely been unaffected as we see Boromir and the others arriving at Rivendell even while Frodo is recovering. Also Boromir being tempted by the Ring was probably always likely to happen as that's the Ring's M.O, so the Breaking of the Fellowship was kinda always written in stone too.
Now granted you're almost certainly right that there'd have been a big chance Frodo would not have had to bear the Ring as long regardless, however it is known Khaleesi that the Ring's burden is strongest at the Crack of Doom, and only the greatest of wills could've resisted it at that point.
Incidentally we've both sorta forgotten about Gollum being the one to guide through the Mountains of Cirith Ungol, so without him, that leaves the party possibly stuck for ages at the Gates of Mordor scratching their heads about how to get through.

Your move Pika. :mrgreen:
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby Skoffin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Forget everyone else, Sam was the hero we needed.

In any case, I don't really see Golllum as an evil evil character. He'd be third party, but I don't see killer fitting him. Personally I'd say him being a lyncher or survivor fits better.
But none of that really matters does it, since we're all using Hobbit/LoTR flavour to avoid actually scumhunting and still looking busy, right?
Everything confuses and enrages me! Raaaargh
Join Discord group for multiplayer gaming and general nonsense.
Lieutenant Skoffin

Postby Pikanchion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Minister Masket wrote:
Pikanchion wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:
FOS Pika

Oh uhh....spoiler alert.

FOS Minister Masket

The timing of everything leading up til the Uruk (not Orc ;) ) attack would've likely been unaffected as we see Boromir and the others arriving at Rivendell even while Frodo is recovering. Also Boromir being tempted by the Ring was probably always likely to happen as that's the Ring's M.O, so the Breaking of the Fellowship was kinda always written in stone too.
Now granted you're almost certainly right that there'd have been a big chance Frodo would not have had to bear the Ring as long regardless, however it is known Khaleesi that the Ring's burden is strongest at the Crack of Doom, and only the greatest of wills could've resisted it at that point.
Incidentally we've both sorta forgotten about Gollum being the one to guide through the Mountains of Cirith Ungol, so without him, that leaves the party possibly stuck for ages at the Gates of Mordor scratching their heads about how to get through.

Your move Pika. :mrgreen:

The Uruk-hai are merely a specific type of warrior Orc, "Uruk" being the black speech term for "Orc" and "Hai" the term for "Folk", so to refer to them simply as Orcs is perfectly valid. Gollum's torture in Mordor is the main catalyst for the advance of Sauron's forces across Middle-earth, both Thranduil and Gondor may still have been standing at the time the Fellowship passed them had Gollum died during the events of The Hobbit, and even if they had not, it is likely that The Fellowship would have set off from Rivendell sooner than a full month after the Council of Elrond with Frodo uninjured. Had they left earlier the weather in Redhorn Pass may well have been different, potentially allowing the Fellowship to circumvent Moria altogether. It is worth noting that it only took a further 27 days for The Ring to be destroyed from the date The Fellowship became split up, they would therefore likely have had the issues with Boromir during downtime in or around the city of Minas Tirith, making it far easier for them to regroup, and far less likely that they would have become fully split up at that point. Surely with the full group or at least a larger group still together when they reached Mordor it is likely that another of their group would be able to lead Frodo through the mountains, and rather importantly doing so without deliberately passing through Shelob's lair.
Private Pikanchion

Postby Pikanchion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Skoffin wrote: Forget everyone else, Sam was the hero we needed.

In any case, I don't really see Golllum as an evil evil character. He'd be third party, but I don't see killer fitting him. Personally I'd say him being a lyncher or survivor fits better.
But none of that really matters does it, since we're all using Hobbit/LoTR flavour to avoid actually scumhunting and still looking busy, right?

Them's fighting words, buddy!

I think knowing whether we have anybody playing multiple roles (i.e. both Fƭli & Kƭli, Balin & Dwalin, etc.) is important to know prior to the first night phase. I have accordingly questioned this fact and am enjoying prolonging the joke vote shenanigans with Minister Masket while I wait for answers. What scum hunting have you done Gollum? (...and is your red text the voice of The Precious, or of SmƩagol?) ;)
Private Pikanchion

Postby Skoffin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 pm

I am not playing multiple roles in the sense you speak of, but several players here are in fact my multis. Come at me.
Everything confuses and enrages me! Raaaargh
Join Discord group for multiplayer gaming and general nonsense.
Lieutenant Skoffin

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:29 pm

It seems there is a lot of game hypotheses being made using LOTR plot points. I don't think the LOTR will come into play in a game with The Hobbit as a theme, nor should it.

However, I am wondering if there could be more than two teams at play, similar to the town/scum/cult dynamic of Mass Effects.

Thematically, it would be hard to explain both Gollum and Smaug being on the same scum team, assuming that both characters are represented in this game.

btw, I'm just trying to think semi-logically about this, so everybody can skip pointing their FOS at me for thinking I know something. I KNOW NOTHING.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:35 pm

I am hunting a replacement for Iron Butterfly, he still hasnt read him pm for role and hasnt posted on the website since the start of August.
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby MudPuppy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 am

lord voldemort wrote:I am hunting a replacement for Iron Butterfly, he still hasnt read him pm for role and hasnt posted on the website since the start of August.

Thanks for the update, LV. Does that imply that nickthesticks has read the PM??? No confirm or any other post since the roles were sent 3 days ago.
Colonel MudPuppy

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 am

MudPuppy wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:I am hunting a replacement for Iron Butterfly, he still hasnt read him pm for role and hasnt posted on the website since the start of August.

Thanks for the update, LV. Does that imply that nickthesticks has read the PM??? No confirm or any other post since the roles were sent 3 days ago.

correct

Postby ZaBeast on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 am

Skoffin wrote: I am not playing multiple roles in the sense you speak of, but several players here are in fact my multis. Come at me.

I hope I'm reading between the lines wrong and you're not painting a target on your back here with the role you claim to be...

Pikanchion wrote:Is anybody playing more than one character?

I'm not. And I'm getting tired of your back and forth LotR talk with MM btw, it doesn't bring anything to the discussion.

Now I'm ambivalent about nickthesticks submarining since I don't see any reason not to at least post confirm (given how simple of a task it is), but I don't see a reason how not posting it would benefit him either (you can't slip on a post like that). Anyways, to be consistent on my joke vote, I'll unvote vote nickstesticks

Since we're at it with questions LV If you set up a time limit, what happens if the day ends with no one with enough votes to be lynched? Is it a no lynch or is the person with the most votes killed?
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby Ragian on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:21 am

Gotta agree with ZB on the Pika-MM back and forth. Doesn't really make any sense to guess the setup at this point. In the HP game, one of the main characters was given to scum as fake claim. It does make you seem very eager and motivated without adding anything and without slipping up (unless you accidentally reveal something).

IGMEOY, Pika and MM.
Captain Ragian

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 am

Since there isn't a deadline, we'd have to vote for a lynch to progress the day, unless he pulls a Nag and implements a deadline due to lack of activity.

Are we going to hypothesize the roles here for scum and third party? If we're going by the books (I have not read), then it'd be goblins, movies would be Orcs/Goblins with the Godfather being Azog or however you spell that. Not sure what other names/roles would be tied to scum, but I also imagine Smaug or Golum (or both), would be in this. It's hard to tell what the set up is without knowing if this is tied to the book or the movie, or the whole series in one until the game progresses further. All basically assumptions, but at least it's something to work off of later.

Fast posted by Ragian -

It doesn't hurt in this case to try and assume what the actual set up is, unless we stumble into game without fully knowing we have a cult present (doubtful) or if there is a serial killer or some other hostile third party. Determining what could be third party would be beneficial in the long run because we can at least identify if there is more than scum to worry about.

In any event, I hate Days 1 with a passion and continue my stance in other games, and would rather proceed with a no lynch. Potentially gain way more knowledge on Days 2, rather than throwing the finger blindly.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:45 am

ZaBeast wrote:
Since we're at it with questions LV If you set up a time limit, what happens if the day ends with no one with enough votes to be lynched? Is it a no lynch or is the person with the most votes killed?

If and when a deadline is put forth and if not enough votes are reached for a lynch, it will be a no lynch.

Postby Ragian on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:46 am

I like it how you on the one hand says that we should not lynch without proper knowledge, while on the other hand it's perfectly fine to contemplate the setup with no knowledge ;)

Also, do you mean to tell me that you don't know if there are any third parties in this game?
Captain Ragian

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 am

What would you propose as an alternative then?

No, I don't know if there's a third party. That was the fallacy in Lion King when we had a mad man dead set on assuming there was a cult.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:33 am

Edit - Reworded for measure.

I don't know if there is a third party in this game, however, it would make sense for third party to exist in this game both thematically and the player pool.

What I'm assuming is this: A third party is very likely. Chances of it being cult are incredibly unlikely. As Skoffin has said, there is a good chance that Smaug may be present as a serial killer. Or that Golum would be something similar to maybe a third party role blocker, or an auditor, something. Golum is a hard to one judge, whereas Smaug is easy to determine.

However, I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon of outright acknowledging a third party exists until the game progresses.
Dukasaur wrote:

Postby FloresDelMal on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:What would you propose as an alternative then?

No, I don't know if there's a third party. That was the fallacy in Lion King when we had a mad man dead set on assuming there was a cult.

aaaww i am still face palming myself about this, i was agreeing with him up to the cult thing, but putting that aside, i had the set up all wrong pointing fingers like there is no tomorrow at every weed eating beast out there :oops: ill try to keep myself in check when i tend to get single minded, but it is tempting indeed to try to guess the setup since its such a well loved theme, i mean the whole reason i am here right now is how attracted by the flavor of the game i am *sigh* at this point i havent detected any major scum tell comming up, so what else is there to talk about it? i find more fun talking about the tolkien's universe and how could it fit the game than pointing my finger at inactives who might or not get replaced, but if eventually comes to that why not :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class FloresDelMal

Postby Ragian on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am

I just think that there are clues in my role pm that there will be (a) third part(y)ies in this game.
Captain Ragian

Postby Ragian on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am

So, not wanting to lynch anyone D1, how do you want to go about this day, DDS? (Curious, not facetious.)
Captain Ragian

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:27 am

Ragian wrote:So, not wanting to lynch anyone D1, how do you want to go about this day, DDS? (Curious, not facetious.)

I don't mind discussing the set up for now. As far as I would have it, just a no lynch and see where Days 2 takes us and hopefully we nab a lead.

I'm largely a minority in this case, as far as discussion goes, I'll partake, but in terms of looking for scum tells on days 1 isn't really my strong suite to begin with.
Dukasaur wrote:

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives