Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby thelord on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Kid Moe wrote:Is there a list of maps anywhere that I can look at to accumulate some tokens, or if anybody has another way to accumulate them I am all ears

Yes, current list of token-dropping maps is here:
Subject: The Great War

Tokens

World 2.1
Classic Cities: London
Germany
World War I Gallipoli
Battle for Iraq!
Italy
Rail Europe
Poison Rome
Land and Sea
4 Star Meats

Like stars, the probability of dropping a token is proportional to the size of the game. Win a 12-player game on one of those maps, a token is almost certain. 1v1 games don't drop much.

About time for an update/ change again I think!
Lieutenant thelord

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm

thelord wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Kid Moe wrote:Is there a list of maps anywhere that I can look at to accumulate some tokens, or if anybody has another way to accumulate them I am all ears

Yes, current list of token-dropping maps is here:
Subject: The Great War

Tokens

World 2.1
Classic Cities: London
Germany
World War I Gallipoli
Battle for Iraq!
Italy
Rail Europe
Poison Rome
Land and Sea
4 Star Meats

Like stars, the probability of dropping a token is proportional to the size of the game. Win a 12-player game on one of those maps, a token is almost certain. 1v1 games don't drop much.

About time for an update/ change again I think!

Yeah, it's more than about time. Amazing just how long my list of undone tasks really is. But this is getting close to the top now.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

gigi_b wrote:Updated with pictures.
I guess it's worth it if you can insert the update into your message, Dukasaur. Not to have 2 copies of the same large post..:)
show

It's okay to have multiple large posts. Just use "spoiler" tags to make them smaller so it doesn't take forever to scroll past for someone who's looking for something else...:)
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jayvee1000 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 am

The latest round - Flers-courcelette - requires 25 Drab tokens which is more than I have. Any chance of a reduction of this requirement ?
Sergeant 1st Class jayvee1000

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:18 am

jayvee1000 wrote:The latest round - Flers-courcelette - requires 25 Drab tokens which is more than I have. Any chance of a reduction of this requirement ?

No, but I sent you 8 credits so you can buy a box of 20 drabs in the Store. I figure you probably have 5 already.

Thanks for being interested in this series!
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jayvee1000 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks Dukasaur - have used the credits and entered the round. Great series
Sergeant 1st Class jayvee1000

Postby josko.ri on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 am

I must say that I also enjoy Great War although I started to play the tournament this month only. Plenty of well thought and various settings for great fun =D>
Major josko.ri

Postby morleyjoe on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Updated list

Bazentin Ridge, July 14th, 1916 - posted by both ConfederateSS and morleyjoe
Delville Wood, July 15th, 1916 -posted by ConfederateSS
Battle of Pozières, July 23rd, 1916 -posted by ConfederateSS
Romani, August 3rd, 1916 - posted by ConfederateSS - COMING SOON
Sixth Battle of the Isonzo, August 6th, 1916 -posted by ConfederateSS
Gorizia, August 6th, 1916 - posted by ConfederateSS
Battle of Guillemont, Sept 3rd - posted - morleyjoe
Seventh Battle of the Isonzo, Sept 14th - posted - morleyjoe

Battle of Flers-Courcelette, Sept 15th, 1916 - posted by morleyjoe
Eighth Isonzo, October 8th, 1916 - posted by morleyjoe - COMING SOON
Ninth Isonzo, November 1st, 1916 - posted by morleyjoe

These are currently open for drafts:

Maghdaba, December 14th, 1916
Second Kut, Dec. 15th, 1916
Opening 1917, the small but exciting Battle of Khadairi Bend, January 9th, 1917
Battle of Nahr-al-Kalek, February 26th, 1917
Fall of Baghdad, March 11th, 1917
Samarrah, March 13th, 1917
Fallujah, March 19th, 1917
Jebel Hamrin, March 25th, 1917
First Gaza, March 26th, 1917
Last edited by morleyjoe on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Postby davidadam2017 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:25 am

How can I get the token. Please anyone can tell me.
New Recruit davidadam2017

Postby morleyjoe on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Image above from Wikipedia.com

Ninth Battle of the Isonzo
November 1st, 1916 - Round nine: another Italian attack on the Isonzo

The Eighth Battle is barely over, but now the Italians are attacking again on the Isonzo. Cadorna hopes that now at last the Austro-Hungarians will break in the face of the Italian onslaught. He is determined that there will be no backsliding on the part of his men. The local Italian commander has already had men summarily executed for mutiny. Now Cadorna goes one step further and orders that any unit that fails in its duty is to be decimated: one in ten men picked at random and shot. He also has military policemen with machine guns deployed behind the assault troops, ordered to fire on their own comrades if they move forward too slowly.

The Italians are attacking on the Carso plateau, scene of much of the Isonzo fighting. Italian artillery has done its job well this time, pulverising the Austro-Hungarian frontline positions. The Italians make astonishing gains, pushing three kilometres into the enemy positions along at five kilometre wide front. Now Cadorna pushes forward his reserves in the hope of exploiting these gains and achieving a general breakthrough. But the Austro-Hungarians too are sending forward their reserves, in a desperate attempt to prevent the collapse of their line.

November 2nd, 1916 - Ninth Isonzo: the Italian juggernaut appears unstoppable

Italy’s ninth offensive on the Isonzo continues. This time things are going well for the Italians. They have overrun the Austro-Hungarian first line along several kilometres of the front on the Carso plateau and are pushing forward towards the enemy’s second line. Boroevic tries to stop the Italian advance by launching a great counter-attack of his own. Savage fighting ensues, but Cadorna sends forward the Italian reserves. The Austro-Hungarians are overwhelmed and forced to fall back. The Italian advance continues.

To the Austro-Hungarians it looks now as though their second line is bound to fall. Is the Italian breakthrough imminent?

November 4rd, 1916 - Cadorna’s nerve fails again

Italian troops continue to push forward on the Carso plateau. An Austro-Hungarian counter-attack failed to stop their advance. Now the Italians are pushing towards the enemy’s second line of defence and few on the Austro-Hungarian side think that this will stop them. Boroevic, the Austro-Hungarian commander, is running out of reserves to commit to the battle. He has just one battalion left, an ethnically mixed unit from the Banat region. He sends them forward to launch one last desperate counter-attack against the Italians.

The Banat soldiers are heavily outnumbered, yet somehow their attack achieves the impossible. The Italians are shaken, their onward march temporarily halted. In the lull, another infantry division arrives from Galicia to reinforce the Austro-Hungarians. They wait for the Italians to resume their advance, hoping that they might just now be able to contain it.

But the Italians do not renew their advance. Cadorna too is shaken by today’s counter-attack. He orders a halt to the offensive. He hopes to launch a new offensive before Christmas, weather permitting, once his artillery has had a chance to batter the enemy’s second line trenches. For now the Italian troops are to be stood down.

The Austro-Hungarians are astonished. They know how desperately stretched their lines are now, how close they are to breaking. As with the Eighth Battle, Cadorna appears to have thrown away a chance for victory.

The Ninth Battle has cost the Italians another 39,000 casualties, while the Austro-Hungarians have suffered something like 33,000.

Above text is al quoted from Blog at WordPress.com - https://ww1live.wordpress.com/tag/ninth ... he-isonzo/

Round 1. The Italians are attacking again . 25 start, Random Draw, 6 games, 20 move on. Games: 5 players, Standard, Escalating, Fog/No fog, Chained. Maps - Italy, Supermax: Prison Riot!, Poison Rome

Round 2. Italian artillery has done its job well this time. 20 start, Random Draw, 3 games, 15 move on. Games: 5 players, Standard, Escalating/Flat Rate, Fog, Parachute. Maps - Rail Europe, Orient Express 1883, Duck And Cover

Round 3. The Austro-Hungarians are overwhelmed. 15 start, Random Draw, 6 games, 10 move on. Games: 5 players, Standard, Escalating, No Fog, Unlimited/Parachute. Maps - Napoleonic Europe, King Of The Mountains, Magyarország

Round 4. Banat soldiers are outnumbered yet achieve the impossible. . 10 start, Random Draw, 3 games, 5 move on. Games: 5 players, Standard, Escalating, Fog/No Fog, Trench/No Trench, Chained/Unlimited. Maps - Trench Warfare, Balkan Peninsula, Third Crusade

Round 5. The Austro-Hungarians are astonished. 5 start, Random Draw, 9 games, 5 move on. Games: 5 players, Standard, Escalating, Fog, Adjacent. Maps - Unification Germany, Unification Italy, Austro-Hungarian Empire
Last edited by morleyjoe on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:15 am

Twelfth Quarter Archive

show: khanaqin

show: lutsk

show: first day of the Somme

show: bazentin ridge i

show: bazentin ridge II

show: seventh isonzo

show: guillemont

show: Delville Wood

show: pozieres

show: sixth Isonzo

show: flers-courcelette

back to main index
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 am

Eight Isonzo coded and launching (today I hope.)

Ninth Isonzo coming soon.

(Thanks Joe, for both of those!)

=D>

Okay:
outstanding battles of 1916
Montenegro Jan 5th posted by DK
Mojkovac Jan 6th
Koprukoy Jan 10th
Fromelles July 19th
Maghdaba, December 14th
Second Kut, Dec. 15th
Opening 1917
the small but exciting Battle of Khadairi Bend, January 9th, 1917
Battle of Nahr-al-Kalek, February 26th, 1917
Fall of Baghdad, March 11th, 1917
Samarrah, March 13th
Fallujah, March 19th
Jebel Hamrin, March 25
First Gaza, March 26h
Vimy Ridge April 9th
Battle of Shiala April 11th
Second Battle of the Aisne April 16th
Second Gaza April 17th
Istabulat April 21st
Doiran April 22nd
Battle of the Boot April 30th
10th Isonzo May 12th
Otranto Straits May 14th
Battle of Messines
Third Ypres July 31st
Passchendaele July 31st
11th Isonzo August 19th
Ramadi 28 Sept
12th Isonzo (Caporetto) Oct 24th
Third Battle of Gaza (Beersheba)31st October
Capture of Tikrit November 5th
Battle of Mughar Ridge November 13th
Cambrai November 20th
Fall of Jerusalem Dec. 8th
Start of 1918
Raid on Zeebrugge April 23rd, 1918
Third Battle of the Aisne May 27th
Battle of Cantigny May 28
Chateau-Thierry June 3rd
Belleau Wood June th
Battle of the Piave River June 15
Le Hamel July 4th
Second Battle of the Marne July 15
Battle of Havrincourt Sep 12th
Battle of Epehy Sep 18th
Vittorio Veneto October 23
Battle of Sharqat October 29
The Armstice November 11th 1918

Now, the above is not a complete list. I've copied it mainly from firstworldwar dot com, which is a very Anglocentric site and doesn't do a very good job of covering the Russian and Balkan fronts. I'll have to go to some other sites to fill in some of the missing Russian and Balkan battles. We also have gigi_b's Romanian campaign, plus I was going to write some tourneys based on technologies (like the tank and the submarine). We also somewhere along the way missed the conclusion of the Kamerun campaing and a few other things. So, all in all, we have something between 50 and 60 tournaments to go.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:23 am

----Lucky Wayward Day is a time traveler...He is typing THE BATTLE OF ROMANI...as we speak... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 am

------------The Battle of Romani----Story line....
-----------------August 3,1916----------
------------I Wayward Day find myself lying down, but I feel something like sand paper across my face. As I jump to my feet. I am smack dab in the middle of a sand storm. As the wind dies down. All I can see for miles is sand. It feels like 150 degrees F ,but I'll take it. It seemed like I was never getting out of the cold,wet,muddy trenches of the Western Front in France.
-------Here I am listening to words in the wind. They are in German. As I look at my uniform, it is also German. I walk towards a grouping of tents. It is Gen. Friedrich Freiherr Kress von Kressenstein head of troops in the desert. All 3 Central Powers have made a plan. The last great attack in the desert by The Central Powers. They hope to not take the Suez Canal. But take cities on the banks of the Suez Canal. So they can attack allied shipping from land. Halt supplies getting through to the Allies.
-------The plan is to take the city of Romani on the Sinai Peninsula. It is the site of the ancient city of Pelusium. Any ancient army trying to conquer Egypt in biblical times, had to take Pelusium first. For it was known as "The Gateway to EGYPT". The Assyrians tried to take Pelusium. When the Egyptian army refused to help the leader of Pelusium. He prayed to the Gods. Later that night field mice ate the weapons of the Assyrians. They fled the area the next day. The Persians 200 years later took Pelusium. When they had cats ,who the Egyptians worshiped led their army. The Egyptians refused to attack the cats and surrendered to the Persians.
-------With troops sent by all 3 members of the Central Powers, we set out from Katia to attack Romani. It is the morning of August 3, 1916. I head out with an advance scouting party. To see a way past a group of massive sand dunes. We are attacked by a British cavalry patrol. As a sand storm picks up. as the fighting goes on. I get lost ,as all I can see in every direction is sand. When the storm settles down. No one can be seen. I see a sparkle of light in the distance. As I walk towards it. I see it is a downed plane, a British one. As I go over the wreckage , I find the pilot , who looked like he died when his plane crashed. No outer wounds on his body.
-------I make a choice right then and there. Being from the future. Knowing the outcome of The First World War. I switch uniforms with the British pilot. a few hours later. I am spotted by an Australian Light Horse Brigade. As they pick me up. I tell them I was shot down and have been wandering the desert four days. The commander of the brigade tells me I am now riding with them. They are trying to stop a major enemy offensive. They have no time to take me back to the nearest airfield. I tell them that I would be happy to fight with them for the time being.
-------Up until this time. The were defending a water pipeline and railway being built. That would move water and troops closer to Romani. Knowing that water was the most valuable item in this battle for the Suez. Along with this Aussie Light Horse Brigade. Was a group of British cavalry reserves known as Yeomanry. Who I soon became a part of. As the day wore on. The Armies of The Central Powers were closing in on Romani. The sky would soon be filled with flashes of light and moving objects. The Central Powers had control of the air. But these objects were shells.
-------The infantry defenses and camps in the rear, had some losses do to shrapnel. But lucky the high explosive shells were smothered by the soft sand. Not to mention the Allied Commander-in-Chief General Sir Archibald Murray's headquarters. Was not hit by the shelling. With British, Australian and New Zealand. Murray was hoping to hold off an enemy attack and launch a counter strike offensive of his own.
-------At the on set of the battle the battle, the cavalry of both armies would clash. As both sides try to race to key positions on the battlefield. As the foot soldiers of both sides ready for the fight. 3 columns of Central Powers' infantry charge head on to the defensive line of Murray surrounding Romani. The British infantry are forced off of Wellington Ridge. as the 1st and 2nd Light Horse Brigades helped to withdraw the British infantry off the ridge. As darkness falls the sounds of battle fall quite. As both sides rest for the next day of fighting.
-------As the 2nd day of fighting got underway. The Central Powers' center and left columns found their way around an open flank of the British infantry, and on towards the British main camps and railway. The Germans and Ottomans made a bayonet charge on Mount Meredith. Which they soon captured and put machine guns on. Pouring lead down on the fleeing British troops. Meanwhile The Central Powers were being held south of Romani. They tried to out flank the British forces to the west.
-------The Central Powers' right column was attempting a frontal attack on the defenses of Romani. While their air forces and artillery severely bomb the city of Romani itself. The troops of the Central Powers soon captured Mount Royston near Mount Meredith. But due to along night's march before the day's fighting began. The Central Powers' troops , even with success. Faced a day under the desert sun without being able to resupply with water. Being fired upon by Romani's artillery. Soon by the 2nd day's end. The troops of the Central Powers found themselves at a standstill everywhere. Meanwhile the British were able to pull 50,000 troops together,from around the region to Romani.
-------As the 3rd day of fighting began. The Central powers had advanced far beyond the main British infantry's positions. With their left flank exposed to the British. But the Central Powers are almost about to smash the main railway leading to Romani.
-------Our horse brigade is now attacking Mt.Meredith, Mt.Royston and Wellington Ridge. Along with New Zealand and Scottish rifle brigades. After a few hours of bloody fighting. we pushed the troops of the Central Powers back off our objectives. Recaptured all 3 main targets held by the enemy machine gunners.
-------Von Kressenstein's troops were starting to fall back. Had the British infantry left their trenches earlier and attacked east. It would have made it difficult for any of the troops of the Central Powers to escape. We began to chase the Central Powers back to Katia. We were supplied with water for our offensive, by the Egyptian Camel Transport Corps. We did not reach Abu Hamra until late in the evening. Giving Von Kressenstein time to move his troops and his heavy guns out of the area during the day. As we captured Katia , we realized what we were up against.
-------Von Kressenstein had prepared lines of defenses as he advanced on Romani. The enemy has enabled himself to fight a masterly rearguard action. Our Yeomanry brigade captured the Oasis of Oghratina. Gen. Murray's troops move and capture Bir el Abd. Meanwhile Central Power troops from El Arish allowed Von Kressenstein to launch a counter strike. Halting the British. As the fighting stops. In a victory for the British Empire. Their 1st victory against the Ottoman Empire. Also a moral boost, as everywhere from France to the eastern front to Kut, the Allies had been taking one beating after another. The victory was welcome news.
-------As I make my way back to Romani. I can't help but think that Von Kressenstein succeeded in withdrawing his battered force from Capture. Both his advance to Romani and withdrawal. Were remarkable achievements of planning , leadership, staff work and endurance. A cloud of sand over takes the truck I'm in. My satchel starts to glow, as sand slams into my face. Darkness ...Where to now?

Postby ConfederateSS on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 pm

---------The Battle of Romani/Tournament---------
-----1/5...................16 Player Tournament--------
------------Wayward Day's Diary:August 3,1916------
----------------The Battle of Romani was the last ground attack by the Central Powers on the Suez Canal. It was fought near the Egyptian town of Romani. The site of ancient Pelusium on the Sinai Peninsula. The Gateway to Egypt from the east. The Central Powers led by Gen. Von Kressenstein against the British Empire led by Gen. Murray. It ended in a British victory. Although as the British waited to attack at the key point in the battle. Von Kressenstein was allowed to pull off an amazing rearguard escape.

Round 1(Knights-The Cavalry of both sides clash at Romani.)
16 start and 8 move on:Map:Knights, 1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog,30 Rounds.

Round 2(Australia-Troops from down under led the way.)
8 start and 8 move on:Map:Australia,1-8 player game,5 games: Terminator,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog,30 Rounds.

Round 3(England-Yeomanry reserves take the field of battle.)
8 players start and 4 move on:Map:England,1-vs-1,7 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog,30 Rounds.

Round 4(Oasis-Key water holes are fought over.)
4 players start and 2 move on:Map:Oasis,1-4 player game,5 games:Assassin,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog,30 Rounds.

Round 5(WWII Ottaman Empire-Turks fight to keep land.)
2 start:Map:WWII Ottaman Empire,1-vs-1,7 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Chained,Fog,30 Rounds.

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 am

The Spreadsheet

Some bragging

Okay, first a little bragging. Looking through the sheet, you find we have now had 431 iterations of 118 unique tournament templates! I'll say it again, because it quite blows my mind: 431 iterations of 118 unique tournament templates! Quite a body of work!

This is a good opportunity to honour the many people who have helped in this regard. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed with writing or coding tournaments!

This list includes (in chronological order):
      bigWham
      DoomYoshi
      Gabriel13
      JamesKer1
      mcshanester29
      waauw
      takman2k
      robellis00
      xroads
      ConfederateSS
      morleyjoe
      gigi_b
    ... and, since false modesty is really no modesty at all, myself, who has written something over 50% of the tournaments and coded 98% of them...:)

According to the spreadsheet, there have been 9688 players in these tournaments. That doesn't represent 9688 unique players; most people who play them play in more than one, and some have played in over a hundred. Sadly, I don't have any ready way to count unique players. Maybe one of the people who understands the API can figure something out for me. The 9688 represents the number of player spots in the various tournaments. Still, it represents a tremendous number of players participating by any standard.

On the down side, the spreadsheet also makes it obvious how much ground was lost during the 15 months from the spring of 2016 to the summer of 2017 when I was in my doldrums and writing very little. :(

Some lessons

One of the things that becomes really obvious when looking at the list is how much the game loads have grown. (Game load is column 'F' in the spreadsheet.) In the first quarter of the War, the average tournament was 16 games (talking total games over the whole tournament, not "per round" game load. Also, it applies only to those who make the finals: with eliminations you may have fewer games than the max.) In the second quarter, the average tournament had 22 games. In the third quarter, it went up to 25. By the eleventh quarter, we had an average of 50 games per tournament, more than three times what we started with. (It has gone back down somewhat in the twelfth quarter.)

I think this is one of the dangers of the autotournament engine. With the autotourney engine doing the work of creating games and putting people into them, it's easy to fall into temptation and make really big tournaments. We tend to forget that people may be playing in ten or twenty of them at once, and while seven games per round may seem like no big deal in and of itself, it becomes a big deal when one is playing in twenty different tournaments that have seven games per round each.

Excessive game load wasn't much of an issue when I was writing very few new tournaments, but now that we're getting more help again and the number of tournaments is going up fast, I think we will need to really focus on making some really small tournaments to balance off the big ones.

Another thing we will work on, with slightly over a year left in the war, is making the tournaments shorter and shorter over the next year, so that most of them are done or close to done by the 100th anniversary of the Armstice, November 11th 2018. The spreadsheet helps with that task, also. There are two columns labelled "First Launch" and "Completion", and after that there is a "Days Elapsed" column. This allows us to look at tournaments, see which ones were slow, which ones were fast, and most importantly, the average days/round one can expect.

No matter what, not all will finish by then, but I think if the vast majority are done we can do something about the ones that remain. I have an idea forming, that when the Armstice comes, if very few tourneys remain, we can go through them and manually award Battle medals to the people who are in the lead at that time. Towards the goal of shortening tournaments in this final year, I'll soon be announcing some restrictions on upcoming tournaments in terms of settings and number of rounds.

Medals policy revisited

Okay, and finally for a discussion of medals.

I tried quite a while ago to come up with an objective quantification of how many Battle Medals a tourney should be worth. Of course, a perfect evaluation of difficulty level would be insanely complex, evaluating maps and settings and all kinds of things. That's beyond what's reasonably do-able. What I've done, using the spreadsheet, is to create a simple Difficulty Rating based on only three variables: the number of rounds in a tournament, the number of games, and the number of players. The formula is given as ROUND((SQRT(number of rounds)/3+SQRT(number of games)/7+SQRT(number of players)/7),1). It could probably be better described as a "Time and Effort Invested Rating" but "Difficulty Rating" will do, for simplicity.

The Difficulty Rating is Column 'I' in the spreadsheet. The number of Battle Medals each tournament awarded is given in Column 'K'. In between those two is an interesting little column labelled "Medal Imbalance". This is defined as the absolute value of the difference between the Difficulty Rating and the number of Battle Medals awarded. Since Difficulty Rating is a very loose approximation anyway, and since it's impossible to award fractional medals, we are not worried about any absolute difference which is less than one. There's a conditional formatting rule which highlights those tourneys where the absolute difference is more than one.

Looking through the highlighted tourneys, the vast majority are cases where the tourney probably paid out more medals than it really should have. This is not a problem. If some people raked in a little bonus, I'm not worried about it. The opposite situation, where the number of Battle Medals is significantly less than the Difficulty Rating, is gratifyingly rare. There are, in fact, only three tourneys where this is an issue:
    • Heligoland Bight, from Oct 2014
    • Race to the Sea, from January of 2015, and
    • Trentino, from June of this year
    The last, Trentino, is still active, so I'll just edit those to include a Battle Medal for 2nd place. For the first two, I will give the extra Battle Medals manually.

For the 2nd place winners in the 3 iterations of Heligoland Bight:
    Donaldp03
    macbone
    Bullet Justice

For the 3rd place winners in the 4 iterations of Race to the Sea:
    Awoodness
    igotaished
    stealth99
    Osman76

Moving into the final year of the War, we will be adding a quarter point to the Difficulty Rating each quarter, and upping the medals where required.

13th Quarter: 0.25 added to each Difficulty Rating before rounding to Battle Medals.
    14th Qtr: 0.50 added
    15th Qtr: 0.75 added
    16th Qtr: 1 added

This will result in a small rise in the number of medals, but not a grotesque jump like I tried to do in November of 2015.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby robellis00 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:38 pm

WOW! and WELL DONE!
I am definitely looking forward to more tournaments that are SHORTER.
What a massive effort overall, well done to all involved.
Lieutenant robellis00

Postby takman2k on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Thank You, Thank You!
Sergeant 1st Class takman2k

Postby Sirius Kase on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Dukasaur, I'm enjoying your Great War, been playing for quite a while now. This is not a complaint, I just want to know about tie breaker.

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?m ... nt_id=6108

I was eliminated today. There was a 6 way tie, 3 were eliminated, 3 moved on. What is the criteria for that decision?
[img]https://s24.postimg.org/6rwmdezkl/signature-_IWWYL8_P7.png[/img]
Private 1st Class Sirius Kase

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Sirius Kase wrote:Hi Dukasaur, I'm enjoying your Great War, been playing for quite a while now. This is not a complaint, I just want to know about tie breaker.

http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?m ... nt_id=6108

I was eliminated today. There was a 6 way tie, 3 were eliminated, 3 moved on. What is the criteria for that decision?

Autotournaments have a 3-level tiebreaking system. It's described here: http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=tournaments5
Ties in Score shall be broken by the following rules, applied in order:
  • Percentage of wins in the tournament as a whole
  • The cumulative number of Game rounds required to win the games they have won in the tournament (since the last point reset, or the start of the tournament if no point reset has occurred). Note: winning in less rounds is better.
  • The order in which the player joined the tournament (first player to join wins)

So to simplify, score first, then overall win percentage, then how fast you won (lowest number of rounds), and last who signed up first.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Sirius Kase on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks, that all makes sense. Now I need to go sign up for something else.
[img]https://s24.postimg.org/6rwmdezkl/signature-_IWWYL8_P7.png[/img]
Private 1st Class Sirius Kase

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Sirius Kase wrote:Thanks, that all makes sense. Now I need to go sign up for something else.

Plenty more tourneys coming here...:)
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Sirius Kase wrote:Thanks, that all makes sense. Now I need to go sign up for something else.

Plenty more tourneys coming here...:)

------Since we are being modest,bragging....Chrono/speaking....I started on Mar.13,2017...and Joe started June 15/25,2017... ;) ...Modest of course,you remember ,you were going to do LUTSK... ;)
------I use Terminator,to spare people of points...I use Assassin to try and make up for deadbeats,when more than 2 people are in the fight to keep things moving fair...
------I know we are shortening them...But I would like to Do Passchendaele,when I make my way to it after doing others in order...When I get to it...I would like to request right now to do an 11 rounder on,Passchendaele,for it was one of the most unique and DEADLIEST battles of World War I...Ironic as the city was named for Peace/Jesus... :)
------As I am having fun,as I research the battles for Wayward...Like finding KOOL unique things,like Col.Fawcett,and Cpt.Neville 8-) ...It felt like slicing my wrist ,when I had to shorten a battle after I had put in hours/days researching...Ouch!!! :lol: ...But I'm adjusting my research tactics... :D ...Thank you kindly to all ,for those who have enjoyed Wayward's travels...More are on the way ;) (way :lol: )...Anyway back to the books =D> ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...STAY TUNED...SAME BAT TIME...SAME BAT CHANNEL...

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:45 am

------I love internet info... :roll: ....As for the battle of Passchendaele...As I just skimmed through some sites... :roll: ...They have the casualty numbers at 5,6 or 800,000 combined for both sides...750,000 is the known fact...So I guess rounding to 800,000 who be o.k...The sites also leave out the landscape...For you see the battle of Pass. had a Town of Pass.,a Ridge of Pass. and a Fort of Pass....They seem to include all 3 as the Ridge/town,left the fort out altogether...What wasn't the case...As the battle was fought...It was hard to gain control of all 3 places at once...As they went back and forth...One side would take the city,while one side would take the fort or ridge...and so on,and so on throughout the battle...The internet left that point out as well,as what the town was named for...PEACE/JESUS... :( ...They would also stack dead bodies in a row over mud to walk on as a bridge over the mud...To get from one place to another...Maybe that fact was to horrible for the internet... :lol: ...We will cross that bridge of mud,when Wayward gets there ;) ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

Postby jytreberg on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 am

This is fantastic, love the spreadsheet and all the work that has been done on this whole tournament. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Private jytreberg

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives