Conquer Club

4th USAS Contest -- Mississippi

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which map best represents the state of Mississippi?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Patch Wars
6%
Africa
19%
Steamworks
2%
Space
7%
First Nations Americas
15%
Age of Merchants
14%
Fractured America
22%
Doodle Earth
15%

Total votes : 95

4th USAS Contest -- Mississippi

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Part of the USA Supertournament event.

Several maps in the USA have not been decided. These are indicated in the original list by "TBA". These contests are being run to determine the best maps to represent states which have not already been decided.

This contest is the fourth in the series, and it is here to determine the map which best represents Mississippi.

Suggestions and reasoning:
  • Patch Wars (the teddy bear was inspired when Teddy Roosevelt -- on a hunting trip in Mississippi -- refused to shoot a captured bear)
  • Africa (Mississippi is the state with the highest percentage of African-Americans in the U.S.)
  • Steamworks (Fred and Al Key of Meridian, Mississippi, set the world record for keeping a plane aloft, 27 days 5 hours 34 minutes)
  • Space (In Star Trek, Dr. McCoy studied at the University of Mississippi Medical Centre)
  • First Nations Americas (Mississippi is home to two Native American Indian tribes, both of which are featured on the First Nations Americas map)
  • Age of Merchants (The Mississippi river was and still is a hugely important trading trunk, and was incredibly important in helping the U.S. grow)
  • Fractured America (On the Fractured America map, Mississippi is spelled Missippi, which will make it the most unique use of that territory)
  • Doodle Earth (To remember "counting mississippily", and because it will produce fast rounds!)

General Rules of the Contest
  • There can be no duplications. A map that is already assigned to another state cannot be used again.
  • Before a poll is put up, the thread will be open for at least a few days for people to add suggestions.
  • Anyone can make a suggestion, but please limit yourself to one suggestion.
    If the list is short, I may accept a 2nd suggestion from people who have already made one.
  • Once the poll has been posted, no more suggestions will be accepted.
  • The poll will run for at least a week.
  • Once the poll closes, if any suggestion has a majority of the votes, it will be accepted.
  • If no suggestion has a majority, but the top suggestion has more votes than the 2nd and 3rd place suggestions combined, it will be accepted.
  • If neither of those is true, the top 3 suggestions will be referred to the Community Team for a final decision.
  • The person who made the winning suggestion will get a lovely Image GA medal.
  • If the winner was chosen by clear majority or by the "1>(2+3)" rule, then the winner will also get 1000 credits!
  • If the winner was chosen by a Community Team shortlist procedure, then the winner will get 400 credits and the authors of the other two suggestions on the shortlist will get 300 credits each.

show: states already decided
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: 4th USAS Contest -- Mississippi

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Existing suggestions.

groovysmurf wrote:Mississippi -- Patch Wars (In 1902 while on a hunting expedition in Sharkey County, President Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt refused to shoot a captured bear. This act resulted in the creation of the world-famous teddy bear)

Thorthoth wrote:Mississippi can be Africa or Africa II because it's the state with highest black population.

I found this odd tidbit while googling Mississippi:
15. In 1935, Brothers Fred and Al Key, aka “the Flying Keys” of Meridian, Mississippi, set the world record for keeping a plane aloft. Refueling the plane in the air, they kept it aloft for 653 hours and 34 minutes—that’s 27 days, 5 hours, and 34 minutes in the air.

Based on that, I'll throw "Steamworks" into the mix.

Apologies if someone has made a suggestion and I missed it. People have suggested various things in various threads. I tried to review them all but could only find the two above.

Nominations are now open...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 pm

So alright, I'll go with both of my maps, but I don't want to split the vote about them. I think all the pro-African votes should be pooled and then the tournament committee should choose between them. Frankly I think the Africa map would be the best choice, as Africa II is clearly wildlife-oriented.

I would also like Dark Continent and Rail Africa maps to be considered in the African vote, not that either would be the best choice, as both are clearly set in post-diasporan times.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid because my last great idea was subtly and egregiously tweaked by a Janey-Come-Lately who ended up absconding with my rightful credit and credits!
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby jfm10 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Space map

In Star Trek, Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy, Chief Medical Officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise, studied medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

:)

There has to be enough Trekkies here to make the space map happen.
Last edited by jfm10 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal jfm10

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 am

I suggest First Nations Americas.

Mississippi is home to two Native American Indian tribes, both of which are featured on the First Nations Americas map.

The Choctaw Indians of Mississippi played stickball, the oldest game in America. There are still stickball demonstrations held each year at the Choctaw Indian Fair.

Additionally, the city of Natchez, home to the Natchez Indians, was settled by the French in 1716. Natchez is the oldest permanent settlement in Mississippi, with over 500 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Natchez Trace Parkway began as an Indian Trail more than 8,000 years ago. Additionally, the Natchez Trace Parkway was named an All American Road by the federal government, and it extends from Natchez to just south of Nashville, Tennessee.
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 am

LiveLoveTeach wrote:I suggest First Nations North America.

Mississippi is home to two Native American Indian tribes, both of which are featured on the First Nations North America map.

The Choctaw Indians of Mississippi played stickball, the oldest game in America. There are still stickball demonstrations held each year at the Choctaw Indian Fair.

Additionally, the city of Natchez, home to the Natchez Indians, was settled by the French in 1716. Natchez is the oldest permanent settlement in Mississippi, with over 500 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Natchez Trace Parkway began as an Indian Trail more than 8,000 years ago. Additionally, the Natchez Trace Parkway was named an All American Road by the federal government, and it extends from Natchez to just south of Nashville, Tennessee.

Not eligible. Already taken for Montana.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:48 am

Dukasaur wrote:
LiveLoveTeach wrote:I suggest First Nations North America.

Mississippi is home to two Native American Indian tribes, both of which are featured on the First Nations North America map.

Not eligible. Already taken for Montana.

I changed it to First Nations Americas :) I missed that when looking at the list! Thanks Duk. :mrgreen:
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 am

Thorthoth wrote:So alright, I'll go with both of my maps, but I don't want to split the vote about them. I think all the pro-African votes should be pooled and then the tournament committee should choose between them. Frankly I think the Africa map would be the best choice, as Africa II is clearly wildlife-oriented.

I would also like Dark Continent and Rail Africa maps to be considered in the African vote, not that either would be the best choice, as both are clearly set in post-diasporan times.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid because my last great idea was subtly and egregiously tweaked by a Janey-Come-Lately who ended up absconding with my rightful credit and credits!

Just pick one.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 am

I would go for "Age of Merchants" (wanted Steam map but already taken) because of the Mississippi River history and how it help expending America (it still does today) with merchandises going to many areas of the country using the Mississippi River.

Lot's of articles still mention Mississippi River as without question the Nation’s principal river, the Mississippi, is the main stem of a network of inland navigable waterways. This giant waterways system of some 12,350 miles, includes the Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, and Tennessee Rivers, among others. It extends into the agricultural Midwest and the industrial east, making Memphis, Vicksburg, and New Orleans close neighbors of Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Chicago.
The Mississippi River continues to be a powerful form of transportation today as large towboats haul barges filled with steel, ores, grain, sand and gravel, petroleum products, chemicals, and more.

So I'm going more toward the River name rather than the State name. That map shows form of merchandises exchanges using all means from how it was before the steam boat expansion (along the river but throughout the land) up to today's means of transportation (mainly boats), perhaps the closest if not the only map that represent the Commerce between area and using the water as a huge factor of expansion and quickest way to link various areas of land that are separated by long distances, those bridge can be seen as the link between states that belong the Mississippi River (such as Mississippi & Louisiana).
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:So alright, I'll go with both of my maps, but I don't want to split the vote about them. I think all the pro-African votes should be pooled and then the tournament committee should choose between them. Frankly I think the Africa map would be the best choice, as Africa II is clearly wildlife-oriented.

Just pick one.

You're setting me up for a vote-splitting fiasco... but fine, I'll pick plain ol' Africa.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Re: 4th USAS Contest -- Missippi

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 pm

It simply has to be Fractured America. Go look at the map if you don't believe me.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby djelebert on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm

To remember "counting mississippily", I propose doodle earth, which is the most "child's" map, and because it will occure fast rounds!
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby jmyork82 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 am

I felt like Mississippi should be American Civil War. Then you can change Virginia to the Valentine's Day map, cause you know....Virginia is for Lovers?
Lieutenant jmyork82

Re: 4th USAS Contest -- Missippi

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm

So I'm going to clarify for those who don't yet understand. Fractured America calls it Missippi, which makes it the only map with that territory name.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby riskllama on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:It simply has to be Fractured America. Go look at the map if you don't believe me.

didn't/don't
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby notyou2 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 am

I find it offensive and racist that Africa is on this list. The people of Mississippi are AMERICANS. They have nothing to do with Africa. Oh, you chose it simply because of the shade of some people's skin.

Bigotry at it's finest.
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 am

notyou2 wrote:I find it offensive and racist that Africa is on this list. The people of Mississippi are AMERICANS. They have nothing to do with Africa. Oh, you chose it simply because of the shade of some people's skin.

Bigotry at it's finest.

Apparently, the U.S. Census Bureau disagrees with you.

https://www.census.gov/topics/population/race/about/faq.html
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
notyou2 wrote:I find it offensive and racist that Africa is on this list. The people of Mississippi are AMERICANS. They have nothing to do with Africa. Oh, you chose it simply because of the shade of some people's skin.

Bigotry at it's finest.

Apparently, the U.S. Census Bureau disagrees with you.

https://www.census.gov/topics/population/race/about/faq.html

Not to mention, for months now, Wisconsin's map has been the Nordic countries dues to it's his 'high Nordic population'.
So why did notyou2 never express his offense about that? I guess he doesn't care if it's about white people but does suddenly care when it's about black people...
Gee, what do you call somebody whose opinion on a matter changes when the subject's race or ethnicity changes?
'Racist'?, 'Bigot'?...or maybe, how about, just plain old 'Hypocrite'?
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 am

IRL we find out Thortoth is 100% Swedish and not half Egyptian as he has been pretending, yet he lives in America. Is this just a ploy to not pay taxes in the US?
Captain notyou2

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 pm

So anyway, notyou2,
while you're on your lib-wienie kick, why don't you give your PL brother-lover, DY some grief for making fun of the way black people say Mississippi?
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:20 pm

I prefer to tease him about religion.
Captain notyou2

Postby mrswdk on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Agree with Duk and Thorthoth. They might call themselves Americans but just look at them.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:02 pm

I must say, notyou2 & swdk have done a miserable piss-poor job promoting the Mississippi-Africa Map.
I will now personally handle all marketing and promotion from here on out.

This grand and rousing tribute to the 'Mighty Mississip' is brought to you by the fine folks at Thorthoth's Old-time Mississippi-Africa Map Jamboree!!!
Last edited by Thorthoth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby notyou2 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:37 pm

I rest my case.
Captain notyou2

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

You should look up the original opening of Show Boat. You can't even write those lyrics on Conquer Club.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Next

Return to Announcement Archives