Conquer Club

Poll about my book cover

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which is the best cover?

first one (red dragon)
20%
second one (green dragon)
40%
third one (gold dragon)
15%
baby dragons are cute
25%

Total votes : 20

Re: Poll about my book cover

Postby 2dimes on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Yeah if you had a sound booth you are getting to a point where you need a mic upgrade but you can get a long ways with technique and a few basic things.

Check out thort' production program. They are pretty basic and if you get along with them they're great.

Most important tip is make a copy then work on one copy while the other is safe on a seperate storage medium. Especially if you have a great take. Nothing sucks more than losing a great piece because the program crashed or you miss clicked something and lost or erased it.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby betiko on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm

honestly, they are all pretty bad covers. I m just being honest.... the first one looks like a chinese restaurant menu, the second one looks like a tacky "tribal dragon tattoo", and the third one looks like mortal kombat. I wouldn't read the back cover if I saw it on some book shelves. I think there is a lot of room for improvement.
Major betiko

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 pm

betiko wrote:honestly, they are all pretty bad covers. I m just being honest.... the first one looks like a chinese restaurant menu, the second one looks like a tacky "tribal dragon tattoo", and the third one looks like mortal kombat. I wouldn't read the back cover if I saw it on some book shelves. I think there is a lot of room for improvement.

It's true... but at least none of them are 'Betiko sig' bad.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby betiko on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

Thorthoth wrote:
betiko wrote:honestly, they are all pretty bad covers. I m just being honest.... the first one looks like a chinese restaurant menu, the second one looks like a tacky "tribal dragon tattoo", and the third one looks like mortal kombat. I wouldn't read the back cover if I saw it on some book shelves. I think there is a lot of room for improvement.

It's true... but at least none of them are 'Betiko sig' bad.

the dragon on my sig looks 1000 times better than any of these
Major betiko

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 am

Agreed. as I said, I'm working on this.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Symmetry on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:

Agreed. as I said, I'm working on this.

Book covers for recent fantasy lit that caught my eye:

Yeah, I know, the kudos from critics are on there, but I was definitely drawn to the covers.

If I can offer a bit of advice as a reader- at least make the spine of the book cover look good. A lot of writers think their book is gonna be face first on the shelf. Spines are key when it comes to holding ya back.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Hooch on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:42 pm

2nd.
Private 1st Class Hooch

My book cover (no longer a poll)

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 pm

OK, well this has taken ages... GIMP is a marvellous program that can do just about anything... once you work out the convoluted nonsense you have to go through sometimes to perform even very simple tasks.
Of course, lots of other things got in the way too.

SO I also downloaded paint.net, which is capable of far far less, but is easy, almost intuitive, to use. I did complicated stuff on GIMP, manipulated it on paint.net, and added some clever stuff from cooltext, free and incredibly flexible lettering.

Then there was a long process of trying to get things to all use the same scale at the same point (pixels? Inches? etc?), and oops the resolution has fallen too low sometime in that process, and finally damn will this now scale it properly to the createspace cover page thingy... finally we are there, as you can see.

Symm very astutely said that the spine is important too - here's the spine
............................................................................. Image

So now you can once again buy the darn thing. Best option: order it from your local bookshop. The ISBN is 978-1533007261

OR from Amazon or Barnes and Noble (where you can also get an e-book version)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-dragons-run-gareth-john-jones/1124066873?ean=9781533007261

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Run-Gareth-John-Jones/dp/1533007268/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517526619&sr=1-8&keywords=gareth+john+jones

and in the UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragons-Run-Gareth-John-Jones/dp/1533007268/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517532457&sr=1-4&keywords=gareth+john+jones
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

not a poll about my book cover

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 pm

So buy it.
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby KoolBak on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:34 am

so I found this on amazon. Says its been out for almost 2 years, but no reviews? Also, I only "buy" books that are available under my kindle unlimited plan (have read 4 in the last week...excellent deal).

What's up with that?
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,