Conquer Club

5th USAS Contest -- North Carolina

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which CC map best represents the state of North Carolina?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Pirates and Merchants "Several pirates, including Blackbeard, played a role in NC history."
24%
CCU "The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States."
26%
USA 2.1 "First flight at Kitty Hawk. The strategic airports on the U.S.A. 2.0 map reflect the importance of the Wright Brothers' invention on the United States (and the rest of the world)."
11%
The Citadel "actually located in South Carolina, but SC is already represented."
2%
Baseball "Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on US soil in Fayetteville NC. Spring training 1914."
2%
Chinese Checkers "because it's a symbol of homosexuality and in NC there are 'No Gays Allowed'"
7%
Ireland : "North Carolina got the biggest population rate of Irish Ulster scots."
7%
King of the mountains. "Mount Mitchell is located in North Carolina, and is the highest peak of the Appalachian mountains."
16%
New Zealand "would be an appropriate map because of Richard Pearse, who is also relevant to aviation."
4%

Total votes : 95

5th USAS Contest -- North Carolina

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:46 am

Part of the USA Supertournament event.

Several maps in the USA have not been decided. These are indicated in the original list by "TBA". These contests are being run to determine the best maps to represent states which have not already been decided.

This contest is the fifth in the series, and it is here to determine the map which best represents North Carolina.

Suggestions and reasoning:
  • Pirates and Merchants "Several pirates, including Blackbeard, played a role in NC history."
  • CCU "The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States."
  • USA 2.1 "First flight at Kitty Hawk. The strategic airports on the U.S.A. 2.0 map reflect the importance of the Wright Brothers' invention on the United States (and the rest of the world)."
  • The Citadel "actually located in South Carolina, but SC is already represented."
  • Baseball "Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on US soil in Fayetteville NC. Spring training 1914."
  • Chinese Checkers "because it's a symbol of homosexuality and in NC there are 'No Gays Allowed'"
  • Ireland : "North Carolina got the biggest population rate of Irish Ulster scots."
  • King of the mountains. "Mount Mitchell is located in North Carolina, and is the highest peak of the Appalachian mountains."
  • New Zealand "would be an appropriate map because of Richard Pearse, who is also relevant to aviation."

Note: This time, I'm going to try something different. I'm going to invite players to vote for up to three (3) choices.

General Rules of the Contest
  • There can be no duplications. A map that is already assigned to another state cannot be used again.
  • Before a poll is put up, the thread will be open for at least a few days for people to add suggestions.
  • Anyone can make a suggestion, but please limit yourself to one suggestion.
    If the list is short, I may accept a 2nd suggestion from people who have already made one.
  • Once the poll has been posted, no more suggestions will be accepted.
  • The poll will run for at least a week.
  • Once the poll closes, if any suggestion has a majority of the votes, it will be accepted.
  • If no suggestion has a majority, but the top suggestion has more votes than the 2nd and 3rd place suggestions combined, it will be accepted.
  • If neither of those is true, the top 3 suggestions will be referred to the Community Team for a final decision.
  • The person who made the winning suggestion will get a lovely Image GA medal.
  • If the winner was chosen by clear majority or by the "1>(2+3)" rule, then the winner will also get 1000 credits!
  • If the winner was chosen by a Community Team shortlist procedure, then the winner will get 400 credits and the authors of the other two suggestions on the shortlist will get 300 credits each.

show: states already decided
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: 5th USAS Contest -- North Carolina

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:09 am

Previous suggestions:

Pirates and Merchants "Blackbeard had history in North Carolina" -- jmyork82
    CCU "The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States." -- groovysmurf
    USA 2.1 "because those planes flying all over started at Kitty Hawk." -- Thorthoth
    The Citadel "actually located in South Carolina, but SC is already represented" -- not sure who was the first to suggest this. Multiple people have mentioned it.
    Baseball "Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on US soil in Fayetteville NC. Spring training 1914." -- phersjm

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:19 am

Chinese Checkers since it is a subversive symbol of homosexuality* and in North Carolina, there are No Gays Allowed.

*Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple are the order of colors on a Chinese Checkers board and on the rainbow flag.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby djelebert on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

I propose 2 maps :
- Ireland : North Carolina got the biggest population rate of Irish Ulster scots.
- Hive, because of Charlotte, the Hornet nest.
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 am

North Carolina has a rich history of pirates. Pirates and Merchants is a surprisingly good choice to represent this state. Take it from a true North Carolinian ;)

https://www.visitnc.com/story/infamous- ... lina-coast
https://www.ourstate.com/was-north-caro ... r-pirates/
https://northcarolinapirates.weebly.com ... olina.html
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm

The first flight at Kitty Hawk was the most important event to ever happen on North Carolinian soil.
The strategic airports on the U.S.A. 2.0 map clearly reflect the importance that the Wright Brothers invention has had on the united States (ant the rest of the world).

As for the other map suggestions:
ā€¢Ā North Carolina was only one of many locations where events played out in the lives of Blackbeard (Pirates & Merchants), Babe Ruth (Baseball) and the Scots-Irish (Ireland). ā€¢ These figures and their corresponding maps have only minor subjective significance the state of North Carolina.

ā€¢ North Carolina's claim to having the oldest Public University in the United States is debatable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_pu ... ted_States Besides, their is nothing that indicates that the fictional Conquer Club University (CCU) is intended to be a public institution and much to imply that it is not, such as the very fact that it is named after Conquer Club, a private and for-profit company.

ā€¢ The Hive map represents a beehive not a hornets nest. In any case, that map is already reserved to represent Utah, the Beehive state.

ā€¢ I was likely the first to offhandedly bring up The Citadel possibility, about six months ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223840&start=50#p4953189
However, I subsequently rejected the idea as inferior to several other possibilities, especially the U.S.A. 2.0 map. Choosing a map with a U.S. geographic location that is explicitly outside the state intended is an inherently poor choice. The fact that the tournament organizer made this very mistake with the poorly chosen Idaho map is not an excuse.

Furthermore, I propose that mods and admins be excluded from making entries in any further CC contests. Excluding employees and others with potentially unfair inside connections is the standard policy for all such contests that wish to be considered fair and impartial. The sad fact that the same mod won the last two contests with entries that were either unoriginally derived from another prior entry (LLT winning Maryland with British Isles) or else egregiously marginal in relation to the state in question (LLT winning Mississippi with First Nations Americas) is damning evidence of the partiality and corruption endemic in the CC administration.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby ZaBeast on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 pm

King of the mountains. Mount Mitchell is located in North Carolina, and is the highest peak of the Appalachian mountains.
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby jmyork82 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am

Thorthoth wrote:The first flight at Kitty Hawk was the most important event to ever happen on North Carolinian soil.
The strategic airports on the U.S.A. 2.0 map clearly reflect the importance that the Wright Brothers invention has had on the united States (ant the rest of the world).

ā€¢Ā North Carolina was only one of many locations where events played out in the lives of Blackbeard (Pirates & Merchants), Babe Ruth (Baseball) and the Scots-Irish (Ireland). ā€¢ These figures and their corresponding maps have only minor subjective significance the state of North Carolina.

ā€¢ North Carolina's claim to having the oldest Public University in the United States is debatable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_pu ... ted_States Besides, their is nothing that indicates that the fictional Conquer Club University (CCU) is intended to be a public institution and much to imply that it is not, such as the very fact that it is named after Conquer Club, a private and for-profit company.

ā€¢ The Hive map represents a beehive not a hornets nest. In any case, that map is already reserved to represent Utah, the Beehive state.

ā€¢ I was likely the first to offhandedly bring up The Citadel possibility, about six months ago: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p4953189
However, I subsequently rejected the idea as inferior to several other possibilities, especially the U.S.A. 2.0 map. Choosing a map with a U.S. geographic location that is explicitly outside the state intended is an inherently poor choice. The fact that the tournament organizer made this very mistake with the poorly chosen Idaho map is not an excuse.

Furthermore, I propose that mods and admins be excluded from making entries in any further CC contests. Excluding employees and others with potentially unfair inside connections is the standard policy for all such contests that wish to be considered fair and impartial. The sad fact that the same mod won the last two contests with entries that were either unoriginally derived from another prior entry (LLT winning Maryland with British Isles) or else egregiously marginal in relation to the state in question (LLT winning Mississippi with First Nations Americas) is damning evidence of the partiality and corruption endemic in the CC administration.

First in flight was a major part of our states history, and following your thought process, New Zealand would be an appropriate map, and probably a better fit since there are more use of planes! I want to nominate that map also, for the same reason!

Aside from the fact that Blackbeard was killed in NC and spent a considerable amount of time here, he wasnt the only pirate to have a history in NC. We even had female pirates too, like Anne Bonney! NC is inclusive like that. There are even reasons why NC was such a suitable area for pirates to exist. You dont have to spend your entire life in one place to have an effect on its history. The Wright Brothers were from Ohio and did most of their research there, they only came to NC for a couple of years to test flight before returning to Ohio to finish things up and legitimizing their work. Ohio contests NC as the birthplace of aviation. I think they are jealous if you ask me.

I do agree with most of these being a stretch, but all of them are to an extent. That is why we are trying to choose a good map to rep good ol NC! I do like the CCU suggestion though, and the new one for King of the Mountains. We have some beautiful mountains here!
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 pm

jmyork82 wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:The first flight at Kitty Hawk was the most important event to ever happen on North Carolinian soil.

ā€¢ I was likely the first to offhandedly bring up The Citadel possibility, about six months ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223840&start=50#p4953189

First in flight was a major part of our states history, and following your thought process, New Zealand would be an appropriate map, and probably a better fit since there are more use of planes! I want to nominate that map also, for the same reason!

Aside from the fact that Blackbeard was killed in NC and spent a considerable amount of time here, he wasnt the only pirate to have a history in NC. We even had female pirates too, like Anne Bonney! NC is inclusive like that. There are even reasons why NC was such a suitable area for pirates to exist. You dont have to spend your entire life in one place to have an effect on its history. The Wright Brothers were from Ohio and did most of their research there, they only came to NC for a couple of years to test flight before returning to Ohio to finish things up and legitimizing their work. Ohio contests NC as the birthplace of aviation. I think they are jealous if you ask me.

I do agree with most of these being a stretch, but all of them are to an extent. That is why we are trying to choose a good map to rep good ol NC! I do like the CCU suggestion though, and the new one for King of the Mountains. We have some beautiful mountains here!

http://www.birthplaceofaviation.com
I think Ohio wins that one ;)
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 am

LiveLoveTeach wrote:http://www.birthplaceofaviation.com

Oh yeah... NO.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Hooch on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 am

jmyork82 wrote:

New Zealand would be an appropriate map because of Richard Pearse.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am

Thorthoth wrote:

Oh yeah... NO.

11:36:19 ā€¹Swifteā€ŗ #RazYouUselessTwit
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby Thorthoth on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 pm

CatchersMitt14 wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:

Oh yeah... NO.

Ugh, enough with the unclever and off-topic Ohio jokes. LLT didn't even approach getting enough votes on her last ill-gotten win. Instead of jokes and dodges the players ruining these obviously rigged contests should be striving desperately to regain even a modicum of public trust.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 pm

CatchersMitt14 wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:

Oh yeah... NO.

Maybe Duk should have used the Space map for Ohio instead of USA Great Lakes? :lol:
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Okay, gathering these up:

Dukasaur wrote:Previous suggestions:

Pirates and Merchants "Blackbeard had history in North Carolina" -- jmyork82
    CCU "The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States." -- groovysmurf
    USA 2.1 "because those planes flying all over started at Kitty Hawk." -- Thorthoth
    The Citadel "actually located in South Carolina, but SC is already represented" -- not sure who was the first to suggest this. Multiple people have mentioned it.
    Baseball "Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on US soil in Fayetteville NC. Spring training 1914." -- phersjm

DoomYoshi wrote:Chinese Checkers since it is a subversive symbol of homosexuality* and in North Carolina, there are No Gays Allowed.

*Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple are the order of colors on a Chinese Checkers board and on the rainbow flag.

djelebert wrote:I propose 2 maps :
- Ireland : North Carolina got the biggest population rate of Irish Ulster scots.
- Hive, because of Charlotte, the Hornet nest.

Hive is ineligible because it is already assigned to Utah. I'll put Ireland on the list.
ZaBeast wrote:King of the mountains. Mount Mitchell is located in North Carolina, and is the highest peak of the Appalachian mountains.

Hooch wrote:
jmyork82 wrote:

ā€¢ North Carolina was only one of many locations where events played out in the lives of Blackbeard (Pirates & Merchants), Babe Ruth (Baseball) and the Scots-Irish (Ireland). ā€¢ These figures and their corresponding maps have only minor subjective significance the state of North Carolina.

New Zealand would be an appropriate map because of Richard Pearse.

Don't know if this is a serious proposal or just commentary. I'll put it on the list.
CatchersMitt14 wrote:Image

Not a proposal but I like it....:)

Okay, nomination period has closed.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Pearse has no connection to North Carolina, Duk. His connection to aviation alone is irrelevant.

Obviously, Hooch's statement was only an attempt at dry wit.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Hooch on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 pm

Thorthoth wrote:Pearse has no connection to North Carolina, Duk. His connection to aviation alone is irrelevant.

Pearse had powered flight and also controlled powered flight, he is relevant to aviation.
If the Wright Brothers are good enough he is.

I know you said 8 hours Duk, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble, please add. :-s

Even just to irk TT

It seems so easy these days. :|
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Hooch wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:Pearse has no connection to North Carolina, Duk. His connection to aviation alone is irrelevant.

Pearse had powered flight and also controlled powered flight, he is relevant to aviation.

I know you said 8 hours Duk, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble, please add. :-s

Even just to irk TT

I'm not sure I see the connection, but I'll leave it in.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Hooch wrote:

Even just to irk TT

Hooch + Duk = shifty + stupid. ](*,)
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Hooch on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:19 am

Let democracy play tt.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 am

Thorthoth wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Hooch wrote:

Even just to irk TT

Hooch + Duk = shifty + stupid. ](*,)

Ahh, but the Wright brothers were born in Ohio and did most of the work in Ohio. All that they did in NC was launch their first flight. Woo hoo. :P
Ohio IS the birthplace of aviation - we even put it on our license plates!

Ex:

NC has the claim to fame of being "First in Flight" but they most certainly cannot claim to be the "Birthplace of Aviation"
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby mrswdk on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am

Africa, because NC is one of the 10 blackest states in America.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am

The birthplace of aviation is England, where Sir George Cayley developed the scientific principles that American inventors like the Wright Brothers and Brazilian inventors like Alberto Santos-Dumont and German and Italian and French inventors were able to apply.

Sadly, our task here is not the lofty one of establishing whose brag about inventing aviation is the most valid. Our task here is is a much more mundane and prosaic task: to establish which map the members of Conquer Club would enjoy playing on during the North Carolina round.

Its good to see a lively discourse! Let's not forget the end goal, though...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jmyork82 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 am

I thought we were trying to choose maps that best represent a state? I would enjoy playing several other maps before Pirates and Merchants :P
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Hooch on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 am

Dukasaur wrote:The birthplace of aviation is England, where Sir George Cayley developed the scientific principles that New Zealand inventor Richard Pearse, American inventors like the Wright Brothers and Brazilian inventors like Alberto Santos-Dumont and German and Italian and French inventors were able to apply.

Sadly, our task here is not the lofty one of establishing whose brag about inventing aviation is the most valid. Our task here is is a much more mundane and prosaic task: to establish which map the members of Conquer Club would enjoy playing on during the North Carolina round.

Its good to see a lively discourse! Let's not forget the end goal, though...:)

In lieu of beer and skittles...
Credits
Private 1st Class Hooch

Next

Return to Announcement Archives