Conquer Club

GoT predictions

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: GoT predictions

Postby nietzsche on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 pm

NERD
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 am

Well that sucks.

Hmm, will probably have to go back and rewatch all the episodes then this summer just to get my yearly fix. Plus would be good to re-watch them all anyway. Great story regardless of the issues the show faces.
Major tkr4lf

Postby notyou2 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 pm

I just finished re-watching them all.
Captain notyou2

Postby nietzsche on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 pm

good, now you can't stop being rude and answer your wall posts.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby notyou2 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Canadians can't stop being rude, it's in our nature.
Captain notyou2

Postby riskllama on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 pm

notyou2 wrote:Canadians can't stop being rude, it's in our nature.

i can back this up.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Is the polite stereotype just so that you guys can see the surprised looks on tourists faces when they arrive expecting super friendly people but instead get greeted by rudeness?
Major tkr4lf

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 pm

notyou2 wrote:I just finished re-watching them all.

Was it as good for you this time as the first time?
Major tkr4lf

Postby notyou2 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 pm

tkr4lf wrote:

Why the f*ck are you asking me?????

You fuckin losers come here expecting polite conversation, yet ask rude personal questions. Get the hell away from me noob.
Captain notyou2

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:28 am

notyou2 wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

You fuckin losers come here expecting polite conversation, yet ask rude personal questions. Get the hell away from me noob.

Why are you giving us an american imitation?
Lieutenant waauw

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 am

notyou2 wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

It's aboot time you learned some manners, friend. Ya can't go aroond treatin folks like that, eh buddy. I trust you've learned your lesson, pal.
Major tkr4lf

Postby notyou2 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm

I apologize for my rude behaviour. I was in the US at the time. I'm sorry.
Captain notyou2

Postby tkr4lf on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:52 pm

It happens to the best of us.
Major tkr4lf

Postby riskllama on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 pm

best crazy theory i've heard in a while is brandon stark is the night king. they have similar noses, discuss...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 pm

riskllama wrote:best crazy theory i've heard in a while is brandon stark is the night king. they have similar noses, discuss...

Yeah, that theory's been around a while. It's not just the shape of the face, but the un-natural pallor.

The Night King is ten thousand years old though. There's no hint of time travel in GoT, so the theory can't be literally true. There might be some connection, though. They certainly know of each other, have been close to each other, and even face-to-face in the spirit world, so some kind of otherworldly connection there may be.

My personal variation on this theory is that they're building this into a Christian theme of sorts. The Original Sin was the creation of the Night King, and the Children of the Forest have been waiting for 10,000 years to atone for it. Bran Stark came into the world as the Lamb. It is said many times that he, of all the Starks, was the most pure and innocent. In some way, he will offer himself as a Sacrifice (yes, the capital S is intentional) and the Original Sin will be atoned. Maybe they'll even spin it with some Temptation of Christ angles -- Bran will be offered ultimate power in some way. Just my theory.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tkr4lf on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
riskllama wrote:best crazy theory i've heard in a while is brandon stark is the night king. they have similar noses, discuss...

Yeah, that theory's been around a while. It's not just the shape of the face, but the un-natural pallor.

The Night King is ten thousand years old though. There's no hint of time travel in GoT, so the theory can't be literally true. There might be some connection, though. They certainly know of each other, have been close to each other, and even face-to-face in the spirit world, so some kind of otherworldly connection there may be.

My personal variation on this theory is that they're building this into a Christian theme of sorts. The Original Sin was the creation of the Night King, and the Children of the Forest have been waiting for 10,000 years to atone for it. Bran Stark came into the world as the Lamb. It is said many times that he, of all the Starks, was the most pure and innocent. In some way, he will offer himself as a Sacrifice (yes, the capital S is intentional) and the Original Sin will be atoned. Maybe they'll even spin it with some Temptation of Christ angles -- Bran will be offered ultimate power in some way. Just my theory.

Um, Bran caused Hodor to become the bumbling fool that he is through a vision of the past. That's pretty much time travel right there. Bran's own father heard him call out to him, in the past. I mean, it's not technically time travel, but it sorta is.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 am

tkr4lf wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Um, Bran caused Hodor to become the bumbling fool that he is through a vision of the past. That's pretty much time travel right there. Bran's own father heard him call out to him, in the past. I mean, it's not technically time travel, but it sorta is.

Yes, there's obviously connections across time. Definitely thoughts and images leak across, but so far we've seen no hint that actual physical bodies can. I know they might still hit us with it as a final surprise, but it seems too drastic to me. I personally doubt if the Bran = Night King theory is literally true, although as noted there are obviously special connections between them.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby patches70 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 am

Oh, you guys are soooooo close. You haven't considered one thing, Bran isn't Bran anymore. He's the Three Eyed Raven. There has always been a Three Eyed Raven. If this situation was a coin, the Three Eyed Raven would be heads, the Night King would be tails.

Go from there.
Private patches70

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:23 am

So then they are the same person, just different manifestations of that person?

But that doesn't seem right, because even though there has always been a Three Eyed Raven, there hasn't ALWAYS been a Night King. We saw the Children create him.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:26 am

tkr4lf wrote:So then they are the same person, just different manifestations of that person?

But that doesn't seem right, because even though there has always been a Three Eyed Raven, there hasn't ALWAYS been a Night King. We saw the Children create him.

Do we have evidence that there's always been a 3-eyed Raven?

I've never heard that before. I assumed he was created by the Children also.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:45 am

Dukasaur wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:So then they are the same person, just different manifestations of that person?

haven't read the books so, not sure what they have to say about it. but i would assume so, ala "Astinus of Palanthas" in the DragonLance books...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby patches70 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

The Three Eyed Raven that Bran met was once Brynden Rivers. He was sent to the Night's Watch for his role in the 2nd Blackfyre rebellion. Brynden went missing while ranging and was never seen again. We can logically presume that he went the same way Bran did, learned from a previous Three Eyed Raven and eventually became the Three Eyed Raven who eventually turns over the "title" to Bran in the events we've witnessed.
We can also logically presume that the Three Eyed Raven that Brynden met was once a mortal man who also became the Three Eyed Raven in the same or similar line as Bran and Brynden.

The Children created the Night King and it stands to logic they also created the Three Eyed Raven. Both entities were created through the magic that the Children lived, worshiped and built their culture around. The Night King and the Raven are not the same entity, they are the Ying and the Yang. Opposites but also the same.

Only certain mortals could ever be of the right stock to become the Three Eyed Raven, one must have certain abilities. Bran for instance was already a Warg and had some strange powers. Bryden also was known as a sorcerer during his mortal life and was said to be able to cast spells and such. I suspect he was a lot like Bran, in possession of certain abilities that most other men didn't have. These abilities make them prime candidates to be the Three Eyed Raven and when the current Raven senses his end coming soon seeks out such individuals and manipulates events to have them delivered to their destiny of becoming the next Three Eyed Raven.
Where the very first Three Eyed Raven came from, we can only speculate, but since the first there has always been a Three Eyed Raven since.

The Night King is of the same nature. The knowledge we have of the Children creating the Night King is very brief. They shove Dragon Glass into some poor man's chest through a dark ritual. We know nothing of the man himself, do we? We can logically presume that individual also had abilities that would serve the needs of the ritual, just as it takes special individuals that are prime to be the Raven, so it is that there are special individuals that can become White Walkers or even the Night King. I suspect that this Night King is not the original Night King that we saw being created by the Children in Bran's vision. Bran only saw the creation of the first one.

Bran has not, to our knowledge, looked into the beginning of the Three Eyed Raven and found the truth of the matter, though he certainly has the ability to do so. We have not been shown that, at least, through the books or the show. I suspect, however, that Bran has actually looked into the beginning of the Three Eyed Crow and knows how such a thing had originally come into being. He just hasn't said anything to anyone about it. Not that anyone could believe or understand if he did! One thing we are fairly sure of is that with Bran's ability to see the past and future, he already knows how all of this is going to end. At least this chapter of history in Westeros. He knows or I suspect that this is a cycle and Bran's goal is to break the cycle, possibly.

The Night King also isn't really the primary villain in this Game of Thrones, is he? In fact, he's the only one who acts with pure honesty, pure intent. He is a weapon, he is only doing what he was created to do. Blaming the Night King or declaring he is evil is akin to blaming a lion of being evil because it kills and eats a baby deer. The Night King is simply doing what it is he was created to do.
People like Cersi on the other hand, or Ramsey or a whole host of other people, are far closer to "evil" than the Night King could ever aspire to be. They act in their own self interest, act cruelly for the sake of cruelty. They have no regard for anything or anyone else except for how everyone and everything else exist simply to serve them.
Which is closer to the definition of "evil"?

The Night King is a force of nature now. If he is thwarted during this chapter of history, it is only temporary. Much as the hurricane blows and passes it is sure to return one day. Such if the nature of, errmm, nature. Or maybe the better term would be "unnatural", but this is a different universe than ours, so the Night King and the forces that created him are "nature" in this universe.
The Three Eyed Raven is also a force of nature. He is more akin to the personification of collective memory it seems to me where as the Night King is the personification of destruction.
No matter how bad the destruction comes, there are some left who remember it. We as a collective species remember destructive events for a long time, but after a long enough time we forget. Don't we? Those old events of catastrophe end up being forgotten as fact and remembered only as myth, right? The Three Eyed Raven is the part of us that remembers those great old events that pushed our species to the very brink of extinction. For a time we remembered those events but now we only think of them a myths, allegories. The memory of those times is still embedded in our DNA, our collective conscientious. Certain plagues in our early history have even altered our very DNA to cope with such catastrophes, such as sickle cell anemia for instance.

These are all themes that the author has explored in past writings and in Game of Thrones. The writer's history also gives us clues as to where this story is going. And you muppets have latched on to these themes well. I salute you. Good job!
Private patches70

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

I was just taking patches statement above as fact. He seems much more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Good thing he came along to cast some doubt on that.

@Patches...
Jesus. This is some deep stuff here.

I agree with you tho on the night king not being evil. Cersei is evil. Ramsay was definitely evil. I wouldn't call Stannis evil, but a lot of the things he did were pretty evil and self-serving. Lots of evil in the GoT world. The Night King and the white walkers aren't really evil, but from the perspective of humans, they may as well be. They are the enemy. Sure, they're just doing what they were created for, but if that is the destruction of all life as we(they) know it, then it amounts to the same thing and must be fought as if it was true evil.

Martin has done a fantastic job with these books. The interweaving of fantasy and history, the thematic elements, these deep and interesting concepts, etc. Props to him. I sincerely hope he can finish the series before he dies. I've never read the books, and I won't unless he finishes them. If he does, then I will read them. Hopefully he'll take them in a different direction than however the show ends. They could then be similar stories, instead of the same. I guess the show started to diverge from the books in what, season 2 or 3? From what I've heard, the first season was pretty faithful to the first book.
Major tkr4lf

Postby patches70 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 pm

tkr4lf wrote:I agree with you tho on the night king not being evil. Cersei is evil. Ramsay was definitely evil. I wouldn't call Stannis evil, but a lot of the things he did were pretty evil and self-serving. Lots of evil in the GoT world. The Night King and the white walkers aren't really evil, but from the perspective of humans, they may as well be. They are the enemy. Sure, they're just doing what they were created for, but if that is the destruction of all life as we(they) know it, then it amounts to the same thing and must be fought as if it was true evil.

I agree,
Private patches70

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I was just rewatching the Season 7 finale and I realized how Daenerys will die.

Undead Viserion is damn-near unstoppable. The only thing that can stop him is Drogon, and the only one that can ride Drogon is Daenarys. She has to ride Drogon and defeat Viserion or all is lost. I foresee an epic battle between them, and in a classic movie industry cliché, I see Daenarys falling off at the high point of the battle and plummeting to her death.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,